The LG Optimus One Thread

P

Pranav Rao

Congratulations everybody!
I have now been using the Optimus1 since a month. And yeah, it rocks!

I blog for a website called techknots, and I have written this post on how to setup your Android phone.
Here it is: ( *www.techknots.com/mobiles/android-phone-setup-guide/ )

OR

Search google for "Techknots Setup first Android phone" and my article will pop up.
(Moderator not allowing me to post links yet :( )

I am sure this will help you a lot if you are migrating to Android for the first time like me.

Do check it out, and tell me if it helped. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
So what follows in this post is the list of apps (along with their QR Codes)that I have on my phone now. Sorry if I suck at the descriptions that I wrote :razz: I tried to provide a brief intro, You can get get the additional info from the market.

REQUIRED - Download and install any Barcode Scanner from Android market (I recommend ZXING client), Scan the below codes with it and it will present you with a link to the exact app in the market. No need to search anymore. :)
However, if you are reading this page on your phone itself, simply click the appname and it should take you to the appropriate marketpage.
BTW, a wifi or fast GPRS connection is needed if you want to download the apps

Recommended Apps
Lock Screen Widget - Don’t want to use the top button every time you want to lock your phone? Well this takes care of that. Install, add the widget to the home screen and Voila! You can lock your phone with a simple touch
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.droidmania.lockscreenwidget

Quick Battery Widget – add the widget to the home screen and see the exact amount of battery left.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.bwx.qs.battery

Handcent SMS -An excellent substitute to the default messaging app present.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.handcent.nextsms

MixZing- A very good player with equalizer support and other features.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.mixzing.basic

Apps 2 SD- Move your apps to SD to save the Internal memory.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.IQBS.android.app2sd

AndroZip -Utility to create and extract zip files on your phone.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.agilesoftresource

Quickoffice - Alternative to Thinkfree Office
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.qo.android.am3

RunKeeper - An activity tracking app (using GPS/Maps) which is useful for those following a fitness regimen. I guess it is free till Jan end, though not sure.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.fitnesskeeper.runkeeper.pro

Andrometer - Use your GPS to measure distance etc.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.highwaynorth.andrometer

Meebo IM – A good IM app with multiple client support
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.meebo

RockPlayer- Can play your avi’s and mkv’s directly
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.redirectin.rockplayer.android.unified

Advanced English Dictionary – Must Have dictionary app. NOTE- Requires an additional download (to your sdcard) for the first use.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.mobisystems.msdict.embedded.wireless.wordnet

Quick Settings – Get a one touch access to all the basic settings of your phone.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.bwx.bequick

Useful Apps

Compass – A compass app with analogue/digital and other compasses.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.apksoftware.compass

ColorNote – Add stickies or to-do lists to your home screen
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.socialnmobile.dictapps.notepad.color.note

LauncherPro- An alternative to the stock android launcher.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.fede.launcher

Google Sky Map- Make use of the inbuilt GPS and wow your friends/family
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.google.android.stardroid

Camera360 – A camera app which provides additional features
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3AvStudio.Android.GPhoto

FxCamera – Another useful camera app.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Aymst.android.fxcamera

eSpeak TTS – Give voice to your phone
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.marvin.espeak

Paint – similar to Paintbrush
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.electricsheep.paint

Google Translate – Get voice translations instantly
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.google.android.apps.translate

Tasker – Automate your android device.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Anet.dinglisch.android.tasker

Listables! – These QRcodes were generated using this app.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.alostpacket.listables

The following 3 Apps require Root Privileges
Titanium Backup *ROOT*
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

AdFree *ROOT* Remove/Block all the ads usually seen in apps like Taskiller etc.
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.bigtincan.android.adfree

MyBackup Root *ROOT*
*chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=120x120&chl=market%3A%2F%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dpname%3Acom.rerware.android.MyBackupRoot

Phew.....it was a long post...so here ends PART-1. Will post the Part-2 soon. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ yes, except some HTC that have locked the NAND. for them the usual Z4Root won't work. or you can also try using it through ADB from Android SDK (need to input a few commands)

noja

Bang! Bang!
how do I use gps on my phone?
which app do I use.

My phone plays 720x400 resolution divx without any problem (lag etc) with rock player (hardware mode) yay!

abhidev

Human Spambot
@noja
Use MixZing.

@abhidev
This phone is best, considering it's price.
I think in mid segment of android phones only HTC Gratia excels Optimus One, but alas it's availability is doubtful.

@infinite
Nice tutorial buddy :)

In what all areas does it excel...and how much is the cost?

mail2abhi81

Broken In
how do I use gps on my phone?
which app do I use.

I'm not sure if O1 has a native navigation solution with it, but you can always use Google maps with GPS activated, so that you could see the orange/ green dot in the map.

If I am not wrong, Gmaps is offering free navigation on Maps 5.

pratik385

In the zone
hey i am using airtel gprs from yesterday but now its not working
how to use it now ?
its showing network error when opening android market.

mail2abhi81

Broken In
hey i am using airtel gprs from yesterday but now its not working
how to use it now ?
its showing network error when opening android market.

1> Restart your fone.
2> Check if access points parameters are correct.
3> If nothing works, contact Customer Care, to get the GPRS settings message sent to your handset.

hope it helps.

Abhishek

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
In what all areas does it excel...and how much is the cost?

In camera (5 MP vs 3 MP)
And in software-hardware integration
See this quote made by gsmarena

It even managed to outperform the LG Optimus One P 500 , which runs Froyo on the same CPU. We’re guessing its software wasn ’t set up as well as the Gratia one.

Expect the price to be on heavy side (even more heavier than widfire)

pratik385

In the zone
hey i cant get RockPlayer in Market, and when clicked at the link which infinite has given, market is saying its not available.

How to get it, iam unable to scan that image too, ive downloaded xling bar code scanner but how can i scan the image in webpage, it uses camera, right? i ve tried using it by scan barcode of my mobile box but it takes heck of a time

Please give me a link and a solution to it.

jagg89

RoCk N' RoLL
Hii Guys.. i'll be buying the Optimus one in few days.. this will be my 1st android phone... Finally after so much waiting :D

my query right now is that i hav an airtel postpaid connection n i dont hav any internet data plan right now.. n i dont want to get a data plan as of now coz i can use wifi mostly where i go n at home also.. so i think some apps constantly use internet so will i be able to turn them off or stop them from using Gprs when i cant use wifi?? coz if they use gprs constantly den my bill will be too long :p

Thanks.

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
@pratik385: Looks like the app is not availble in the market. You can try downloading directly from HERE .
As for scanning the image on webpage, you can scan them with your phone when the page is opened on a PC.

@jagg89: Congrats! keep us posted.
Yep, you can turn off gprs/data connectivity. The notification bar at the top of the screen provides one touch start/stop toggles for WiFi-Bluetooth-GPS-Data. And also, you can use wifi and gprs separately (keep one ON and the other OFF) :)

pratik385

In the zone
guys, which 3G services are good ?
iam planning to get it as airtel gprs sucks :(

Bsnl Vs Docomo Vs Idea

also please tell me also call rates, which will be vfm and kam me bam :p

siddhesh222

Journeyman
Using the phone since a month and couldn't be more satisfied!. Rooted, am on prime v2 now, will check out void. When exams get over i.e.monday

noja

Bang! Bang!
why do we need to root the phone? its good as it is. I can use auto desk sketchpad on my phone even when the requirement is of 1ghz cpu.
but how do I stop the gallery from reading my zip image archives?

hoha7

Right off the assembly line
Hey im juz on the verge of buying this awesome phone but i juz have one doubt in my mind, Is every1 facing the sd card unmounting probs?

Top Bottom