the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Vishu, congrats on you purchase.

To update BIOS, go to this page : 6121 Drivers

In this page, expand BIOS and download the BIOS version F.1A dated 2011-07-22.
Keep the adapter plugged in and launch the downloaded file. It will update automatically.
Once it is done you have to go to BIOS settings and change the graphics mode to fixed. Then you can select manually which gpu to use.

bkgodara

Broken In
Hi guys, I am new in the forum.
I just saw this forum 2 days ago and found it very helpful, I have become a fan of thinkdigit.com and all of yours :p
I am thinking to buy 6121tx with 2gb 6770m and i7-2630qm, I have some questions:
1. I am buying this for 54k without any free stuff is it a good deal at jaipur?
2. I want to run these games ( Company of hereos 2006, GTA 4, Burnout Paradise, Portal 2, COD MW2, Assasins Creed, and SSX TRICKY, GOD OF WAR using PS2 emulator) I want to know if i can run all these games on Max/High settings on 6121tx fluently? Because I think Racing game like Burnout, GTA4 and SSX Tricky need more fps to look fluent than other games :?)
3. I want to buy a laptop for next 3 years, is 2630QM is good enough to stand for next 3 years? (I am not talking about GPU, I know it can only run games till now not for next 3 years)
4. What about heating problem :? I will be playing games for at least 6-7 hours per day (in morning and then evening) I will be using a cooling pad too, will there be any problem about overheating and shutdown or motherboard related :? ?
5. Any precautions before buying this laptop?
And please ignore my bad english if you can :oops:
I will be very thankful to you all to help me. 55k means a lot to me thats why i want to be satisfied before buying this lap. Waiting for you replies..

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Hi guys, I am new in the forum.
I just saw this forum 2 days ago and found it very helpful, I have become a fan of thinkdigit.com and all of yours :p
Welcome to TDF. :D

I am thinking to buy 6121tx with 2gb 6770m and i7-2630qm, I have some questions:
1. I am buying this for 54k without any free stuff is it a good deal at jaipur?
Decent price. Try to bargain a little.

2. I want to run these games ( Company of hereos 2006, GTA 4, Burnout Paradise, Portal 2, COD MW2, Assasins Creed, and SSX TRICKY, GOD OF WAR using PS2 emulator) I want to know if i can run all these games on Max/High settings on 6121tx fluently? Because I think Racing game like Burnout, GTA4 and SSX Tricky need more fps to look fluent than other games :?)
Easily. All games except GTA4 will run on Ultra. GTA4 would be fine at high.
Can't say about GOW/PS2.

3. I want to buy a laptop for next 3 years, is 2630QM is good enough to stand for next 3 years? (I am not talking about GPU, I know it can only run games till now not for next 3 years)
Yeah. You might be to run all games too.

4. What about heating problem :? I will be playing games for at least 6-7 hours per day (in morning and then evening) I will be using a cooling pad too, will there be any problem about overheating and shutdown or motherboard related :? ?
No. No heating issues.

5. Any precautions before buying this laptop?
Not really. Just check its physically alright. Nothing is broken.

And please ignore my bad english if you can :oops:
Its fine ;)

bkgodara

Broken In
Welcome to TDF. :D

Decent price. Try to bargain a little.

Easily. All games except GTA4 will run on Ultra. GTA4 would be fine at high.
Can't say about GOW/PS2.

Yeah. You might be to run all games too.

No. No heating issues.

Not really. Just check its physically alright. Nothing is broken.

Its fine ;)

Thanks a lot, I would like to know what fps can I get on above games on High Settings?
And some more question:
1. Should I buy 6017tx or 6121tx? I don't nead 140gb more hard disk, Is there any difference in build or Performance in these laps? Or Is 6121tx slightly better or 6017tx ?
2. I checked online price of these laps and found that much of website has 6121tx for approx 55k and 6017tx for 53k, but Rightgadgets.com is selling 6017tx at 50k and 6121tx at 52.5k? here's the link HP Pavilion dv6-6121tx Laptop Price Buy HP Pavilion dv6-6121tx Laptop Cheap HP Pavilion dv6-6121tx Laptop in India
Why is that much diff here? Is it safe to buy from this site?

arijit4india

Right off the assembly line
Hi, long time reader of the forum...but finally managed to put a post together...

I will be getting the dv6 6121tx at the end of this week. The laptop according to my requirements has two weak spots, its 4 GB RAM and its 5400 rpm hard disk. Apart from gaming, I would also do a fair amount of video encoding. However, I only have about 5k spare budget after buying the laptop (Negotiated to about 55k from HP World Bikaji Cama Place Delhi), and I can only afford one of the upgrades now, either a 7200 RPM Hard disk (I asked around Nehru Place and was told it comes around 5.5 k for Seagate Momentus) or a 4 GB RAM (Whose price seemed to vary widely between 2.5k and 5k, even for the same brand such as Corsair!)

Now the question is, first - what are the actual benchmark prices for RAM and HDD? And second, given my requirements, which will be more useful. My intuition and research says RAM but I want to get the opinion of you guys.

Thanks in Advance

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Hi, long time reader of the forum...but finally managed to put a post together...

I will be getting the dv6 6121tx at the end of this week. The laptop according to my requirements has two weak spots, its 4 GB RAM and its 5400 rpm hard disk. Apart from gaming, I would also do a fair amount of video encoding. However, I only have about 5k spare budget after buying the laptop (Negotiated to about 55k from HP World Bikaji Cama Place Delhi), and I can only afford one of the upgrades now, either a 7200 RPM Hard disk (I asked around Nehru Place and was told it comes around 5.5 k for Seagate Momentus) or a 4 GB RAM (Whose price seemed to vary widely between 2.5k and 5k, even for the same brand such as Corsair!)

Now the question is, first - what are the actual benchmark prices for RAM and HDD? And second, given my requirements, which will be more useful. My intuition and research says RAM but I want to get the opinion of you guys.

Thanks in Advance

7200 rpm wont make any difference except noise. If you want speed buy a SSD. In my opinion 4GB RAM is best option

WhizKins

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying 6017tx. I live in Delhi, so can anyone tell me any good place to buy this laptop from? (Including the price if possible). If 6017tx is not available I might consider getting the 6121tx :)

kabir mahlotra

hi all

i got a que do you see any difference in screen when turn to amd graphics compare to intel hd i know in gaming one does see gr8 improvment in fact some games won't run on intel hd graphics but any difference in normal,browsing, watching movie or photo. any thinking like increase brightness better colour any thing.i know its not a savvy question.

if anyone can help

thanks in advance.

mekanik

Broken In
Looks like the switching issue is fixed..

Official HP statement on Switchable Graphics and Open GL Fun... - HP Support Forum

rajatseth03

I had bought 6121 two days ago and m facing a problem plz help...
-->when m using internet(BSNL EVDO) and while using if i switch on my wireless or bluetooth my net gets disconnected and it shows some error in my evdo dongle but again when i switch off the wireless and plug in d dongle again it works f9..
so plz help me regarding this..??

ogasd

Broken In
REALLY NEED HELP !!
hey people i need to know some things before buying dv6 6121tx laptop ..
1) can a reseller provide a costumer with used or opened laptop in a new pack by sealing it again ? and what do they do of the models they show us in showrooms? ( i have seen some electronics re sealed by dealers ) so how do i look for seals and hw many are there can they be re done?

2) i heard of faulty chipsets .. do i need to see in dv6 6121tx serial no if its greater than 108 or lesser than 108 would be ok ?

please provide me with sufficient info on these 2 topics .......
"aniket thanks for ur earlier replies:p but still want to know about these 2 ..."

havoc7860

Looks like the switching issue is fixed..

Official HP statement on Switchable Graphics and Open GL Fun... - HP Support Forum

hey i am a new member to this forum.
i am about to buy my first laptop ever and i was hoping for some guidance.
i would be gaming quite a bit on this new laptop and woyld require to run softwares like photoshop.
iv narrowed it down to 2 laptops
1) dell xps 15 wit i5 6gb ram gt540m regular screen not the fhd as it crosses my budget of 56000rs
2) hp pavillion dv6-6121tx 4gb ram 6770ati 2gb nd 640gb hdd at 5400 rpm so if anyone owns this laptop please give ur valuable review
now iv heard tat hp has some heating issues as well as problems wit switching graphics and opengl which i require to run photoshop so please give me ur valuable suggestions also iwas planning to buy in the next 3 days so urgent replies would be appreciated thanx in advance

havoc7860

hey i am a new user to this forum and im planning to buy my very first laptop.
iv narrowed it down to 2 two laptops nd il be using this laptop for gaming and also softwares lik photoshop etc.
1) dell xps 15 wit regular screen not fhd 500gb at 7200rpm 6gbram nd gt540m
2)hp pavillion dv6-6121tx i7 640gb 2gb6770m 4gbram. but the problem i hear is tat it heats too much nd cant switch graphics nd problem wit opengl software so please suggest good laptop. also planning to buy in the next 3 days so urgent reply will be appreciated thanx in advance

havoc7860

hey guys wanting to decide between dell xps 15 i5 500gb at 7200rpm 6gbram nvidia gt 540m nd regular screen as this falls in budget not the 1080p nd the hp dv6-6121tx 640gb at 5400rpm 4gb ram amd radeon 2gb 6770m, il be using the laptop for gaming nd s/ws lik adobe photshop but hav heard the hp has problems wit switchable graphics nd opengl softwares. this is my first laptop ever nd want to use it for next 3-4 years so i don wanna get it wrong please advise thanx in advance

Top Bottom