the HP dv6-6017tx, 6121tx, 6140tx and dv6-6165tx thread

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
HP Pavilion DV6 6017tx Core i7 Laptop Full Review, Price, Specifications, Benchmark

chk out the review.

Good review... Almost no negative points apart from the hp recovery issue... But that is a software issue rather than a hardware fault...

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
BTW how much should be the temperature of cpu and gpu?
what temp will be considered unsafe??

its a noob question,but i have never owned a notebook b4....

Found out that the maximum operational temperature for my processor is 100 degrees. So anything below 85 should be very safe. Attaching screenshot

Source

Whether I game for 20 mins or 2 hours the CPU temperature is between 65 -70 degrees ( maximum 75) without cooling pad. Looks like HP have solved the overheating problem

The chipset HM65 looks to be quite resistant to heat too. Its catastrophic trip point is 120 degrees... it means it will be operational at 120 degrees too... ( although is is set to trip at 108 degrees to save the processor). Guys we have a damn "hot" laptop

Last edited:

Ajinkya

Broken In
Found out that the maximum operational temperature for my processor is 100 degrees. So anything below 85 should be very safe. Attaching screenshot

Source

Whether I game for 20 mins or 2 hours the CPU temperature is between 65 -70 degrees ( maximum 75) without cooling pad. Looks like HP have solved the overheating problem

The chipset HM65 looks to be quite resistant to heat too. Its catastrophic trip point is 120 degrees... it means it will be operational at 120 degrees too... ( although is is set to trip at 108 degrees to save the processor). Guys we have a damn "hot" laptop

thankfully the newer hp's will last longer and better .. no chips getting smoked hopefully !

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
thankfully the newer hp's will last longer and better .. no chips getting smoked hopefully !

Performed a test yesterday in which the CPU was at >75% load all the time. It was a HD movie conversion that took 40 mins

Room Conditions
Temperature : 35 degrees
AC off
No cooling pad

Initial 15 mins : kept HP coolsense at the default performance mode
Maximum load reached : 95%
Maximum temperature reached : 83 degrees

After 15 mins Changed the Coolsense to Coolest mode
Temperature dropped by 5 degrees in one minute and kept fluctuating at 70 degrees.

Random screenshot

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm going to be heading of to college (Sikkim Manipal University) in a few days and I really need a laptop. I'm mainly interested in gaming, and watching movies and browsing. But mostly gaming. I know it is not recommended to play games on a laptop, but then carrying a desktop there is not exactly practical. The temperature there is cool (Its located near Gangtok) and if i combine it with a Belkin cooling pad, can I play games for 1.5-2 hours at a stretch?
Alternatively, should i take an xbox? If i do, hypothetically can it be hacked to play games downloaded of the net? I'm just asking.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys. I'm going to be heading of to college (Sikkim Manipal University) in a few days and I really need a laptop. I'm mainly interested in gaming, and watching movies and browsing. But mostly gaming. I know it is not recommended to play games on a laptop, but then carrying a desktop there is not exactly practical. The temperature there is cool (Its located near Gangtok) and if i combine it with a Belkin cooling pad, can I play games for 1.5-2 hours at a stretch?
Alternatively, should i take an xbox? If i do, hypothetically can it be hacked to play games downloaded of the net? I'm just asking.

I have played for CoD Black Ops for +2hrs without a cooling pad in AC room and haven't experienced any heating issues. Either cool temperature (25 or below) or a cooling pad should be OK. Gaming experience is great on this laptop

I have no experience about Xbox :sad:

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Guys, one query to all of you. I have a HP dv6-2164tx (core i7 - 720qm, 4GB ddr3, 500GB 7200rpm sata hd, 1GB GT230). Is it worth selling it for 40K and getting this one( dv6 - 6017tx) ?

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Guys, one query to all of you. I have a HP dv6-2164tx (core i7 - 720qm, 4GB ddr3, 500GB 7200rpm sata hd, 1GB GT230). Is it worth selling it for 40K and getting this one( dv6 - 6017tx) ?

Depends on why you want this upgrade. Not much processor difference there but 2X performance in graphics.

Ajinkya

Broken In
Urgent Help

I think my touch pad buttons are not functioning properly. when I press the extreme left of left button it registers a click but nothing happens when i press the extreme right of right button. Pressing in the middle is fully functional but I am used to press toward the extreme ends. Is it normal or my laptop has some sort of fault?

Did it work earlier ?
If yes then get the buttons cleaned ,
most probably some dust or hair might be interfering.
If no then its not such a big deal, often the extremes dont press buttons.
if still in doubt get it checked from a proff.

Performed a test yesterday in which the CPU was at >75% load all the time. It was a HD movie conversion that took 40 mins

Room Conditions
Temperature : 35 degrees
AC off
No cooling pad

Initial 15 mins : kept HP coolsense at the default performance mode
Maximum load reached : 95%
Maximum temperature reached : 83 degrees

After 15 mins Changed the Coolsense to Coolest mode
Temperature dropped by 5 degrees in one minute and kept fluctuating at 70 degrees.

Random screenshot

seems to be decent considering the shut off temp.
Intel recommends chassis temp of 60- 67 degrees (2ghz clock) for Durability !
But since its a quad i spse the temp range is ok.

Dont bother. Your config is already pretty good .
You may see a performance jump of only around 15 %. and that is solely because of the newer graphics !
Not worth the extra 12k.

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Depends on why you want this upgrade. Not much processor difference there but 2X performance in graphics.

hmm. i can play fifa11 on medium settings only on my laptop. i have not bothered to try other games on it.
So looking forward to a graphics booster. MSI GX640 is good, but has a outdated processor. and the memory bus is only 128 bit, so can not expect a huge performance gain I guess.

Ajinkya said:
Dont bother. Your config is already pretty good .
You may see a performance jump of only around 15 %. and that is solely because of the newer graphics !
Not worth the extra 12k.

It seems so, but the temptation to get a new one with sandy bridge i7 and a lot better graphics card is too much to handle.

Will think of it guys. have my mind set on getting this one. But Seems I need to think over it again.

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
hmm. i can play fifa11 on medium settings only on my laptop. i have not bothered to try other games on it.
So looking forward to a graphics booster. MSI GX640 is good, but has a outdated processor. and the memory bus is only 128 bit, so can not expect a huge performance gain I guess.

It seems so, but the temptation to get a new one with sandy bridge i7 and a lot better graphics card is too much to handle.

Will think of it guys. have my mind set on getting this one. But Seems I need to think over it again.

Keep another imp thing in ur mind while deciding that sandy bridge won't just give u a performance boost, it will greatly enhance your laptops life n durability as the dual gpu really helps in keeping the beast calm (cool) when u are nt gaming and while gaming it won't get to alarming temperatures in a few mins and I havent played fifa 11 on it yet but considering the fact that it runs crysis 2 on max settings I am damn sure it will run fifa on max!!!

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
Rachit, you tilted the favor towards the new one, 6017tx.
Hoping to get a buyer. So that I can get the new one this weekend.
thanks guys

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Rachit, you tilted the favor towards the new one, 6017tx.
Hoping to get a buyer. So that I can get the new one this weekend.
thanks guys

6017tx will be awesome for gaming and you'll sire feel the difference. Don't know if your device has beats audio or not but sound quality is awesome on this machine. You'll be able to play all games on max settings except the witcher 2 and probably few others. All the best

Uploaded a YouTube video Beats Audio Demo on HP Pavilion dv6
[YOUTUBE]WfliUjn98d8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey guys yesterday i got a mail from a guy asking me a few questions about this laptop... Gonna post the ques with my answers... Just to clear the doubts if anyone has any...

His questions:-
1)Did you get the OS Cd with the Laptop?,because its really sucks when u have to pay the for services like Formatting and Re-installing the OS when you yourself know how to do it.

2)There in the thread you also stated something about to check the serial number and format it has to be,as you said something about the 4th,5th,6th number should be more than 100.Can you please tell me what and why is that all about?

Answers:-
1. No i did not get any dvd to install OS, but since 2007 no HP laptop comes with any cds or dvds, instead they come with a 15GB "Recovery" partition, using HP recovery manager you can restore the laptop to its original state any time in just a few clicks, and it has a "create recovery disks" option in which you can make bootable recovery disks in case your OS is completely crashed and you cant even boot up, BUT keep one thing in your mind, you can only create ONE set of recovery disks and they will work on your laptop. And secondly you do get your Win 7 license key so you can download a copy of Win 7 say from torrent, and it will still be legal as you will be using your own key, with which you can install Win 7 Home Premium 32bit as well as 64bit, i have tried 32bit and 64bit, the key works for both.

2. There was a fault a series of Intel chipsets, many companies including HP had to call back there laptops with this chipset and then the chipsets were replaced, so to check if you have the faulty chipset in your HP laptop or not you have to check certain things, the most basic and sure test was the serial no test, when you buy the laptop look for it, the 4th, 5th and 6th no should be greater than 108, if it is then your laptop is just fine...

Hope it helps... :)

Junaid

Right off the assembly line
6017tx will be awesome for gaming and you'll sire feel the difference. Don't know if your device has beats audio or not but sound quality is awesome on this machine. You'll be able to play all games on max settings except the witcher 2 and probably few others.

Is witcher 2 is playable in this laptop? I have desktop with 9800gtx+ and core 2 due 7200 but i am able to run this game at minimal setting only although all other games are running at maximum setting without any problem.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Is witcher 2 is playable in this laptop? I have desktop with 9800gtx+ and core 2 due 7200 but i am able to run this game at minimal setting only although all other games are running at maximum setting without any problem.

Not played witcher 2 on this one. But 6770M is much better than 9800gtx+. Compared your system with mine on game-debate.

9800gtx+ and core 2 due 7200
*lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yAY-8UfmEVk/TefltHUnpZI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/ahliIKqzSGA/gtx%2525209800%25252B.PNG

dv6-6017tx
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FtedlMjGLeM/Teflswr3lWI/AAAAAAAAAFU/FLL1o_Lrw-U/6770m.PNG

You can see the difference. Also remember I'll be playing at 1366x768 while your desktop resolution will be FHD. Also the game will benefit from faster GDDR5. So 6770M should be able to play witcher 2 at mid settings

OP
rachitboom2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz

Witcher 2 is playable really smoothly on med settings and playable with a few hick ups on higher settings...

nns

Broken In
Apologies for the long post... :|

Questions
How good is the touchpad of this laptop?
Is there a 9-cell battery available for this laptop?
Does the Windows 7 Key work with the retail version DVD?

The Big Question: HP or not to HP?
I love the specs of this laptop, it is precisely what I was looking for but these issues haunt me whenever I linger close to an HP laptop. Should I not worry about these and go ahead trusting HP to give good quality?

Some of the historical problems with HP laptops (faced by at least 2 owners in the previous 3 years):
- Heating :razz:
- Display problems :arrow: including failed connectors and dead pixels (in a year or two)
- Very annoying touchpads and broken buttons
- Batteries die quite quickly (within a year most didn't last longer than 10 mins) - heavy usage is to blame but problem significantly less with Dells.
- Bad,very bad customer service, takes them a week to inspect the laptop if you have any issue. :shock:

So, I am quite reluctant to buy HP. I use an HP Compaq and it has similar issues especially bothered by the display thing.

A different path?

I was looking for 7200rpm HDD, dual band wireless n (300Mbps), Backlit keyboard, 1080p display and Nvidia Graphics for CUDA (and also durability, to last 3-5 years) in addition to the specs. Is there any other laptop with the above (other than XPS 15)? Looking for ASUS, Sony or others (lenovo, Acer, Samsung if they are reliable).

Dust, Heat and Service

And as far as I know to keep out the dust, (preferably, open up the covers and the area covering the fan) use a blower at the fan vent. The service guys will probably take a week to do the same. Over the years I have learnt to repair my own laptop using the service manual and it is quite easy if you follow it right. Only with my Compaq I had to do it with the laptop still being in warranty (Courtesy: HP Service)

Last edited:

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Apologies for the long post... :|

Questions
How good is the touchpad of this laptop?
Is there a 9-cell battery available for this laptop?

The Big Question: HP or not to HP?
I love the specs of this laptop, it is precisely what I was looking for but these issues haunt me whenever I linger close to an HP laptop. Should I not worry about these and go ahead trusting HP to give good quality?

Some of the historical problems with HP laptops (faced by at least 2 owners in the previous 3 years):
- Heating :razz:
- Display problems :arrow: including failed connectors and dead pixels (in a year or two)
- Very annoying touchpads and broken buttons
- Batteries die quite quickly (within a year most didn't last longer than 10 mins) - heavy usage is to blame but problem significantly less with Dells.
- Bad,very bad customer service, takes them a week to inspect the laptop if you have any issue. :shock:

So, I am quite reluctant to buy HP. I use an HP Compaq and it has similar issues especially bothered by the display thing.

A different path?

I was looking for 7200rpm HDD, dual band wireless n (300Mbps), Backlit keyboard, 1080p display and Nvidia Graphics for CUDA (and also durability, to last 3-5 years) in addition to the specs. Is there any other laptop with the above (other than XPS 15)? Looking for ASUS, Sony or others (lenovo, Acer, Samsung if they are reliable).

Dust, Heat and Service

And as far as I know to keep out the dust, (preferably, open up the covers and the area covering the fan) use a blower at the fan vent. The service guys will probably take a week to do the same. Over the years I have learnt to repair my own laptop using the service manual and it is quite easy if you follow it right. Only with my Compaq I had to do it with the laptop still being in warranty (Courtesy: HP Service)

Touchpad : Nice and responsive. Buttons are good. Supports multi-touch.

Heating : No serious heating issues. Temperatures same as Dell XPS. But still recommend to use cooling pad

Display : dead pixels in a year or two... hmm I have spent only a week with this machine. No problem till now

Battery : Performing good till now

Why dont you go for Asus or Toshiba. Both have recently launched gaming laptops with Nvidia GTX cards and 3D screens... or may be alienware

Top Bottom