The 10 Hottest New Windows 7 Features ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203884,00.jpg

In addition to the "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send" buttons that pop up when Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close, there will be a button to give the programmers responsible an electric shock. Talk about instant gratification!

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203879,00.jpg

A new feature in Windows 7 allows for full plug-and-play driver installation for Windows 7-ready products (printers, scanners, and so on). Simply plug the device into a USB port and all the drivers are automatically installed; no setup disc necessary. There will also be full support for old drivers going back to Windows 3.2. So get ready to dust off your old printer that's been sitting in the closet for a decade.

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203882,00.jpg

This handy feature shakes the screen after 15 minutes of inactivity to make sure you're still awake. If you still do not touch the keyboard or mouse (and your PC's onboard webcam still detects your presence), the screen desktop shrinks to the size of a pinpoint and then rapidly "zooms" to full size, and you hear a loud audio "pop."

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203877,00.jpg

Clippy returns in an expanded role to help you out with all your networking-management issues, security issues, and driver updates.

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203880,00.jpg

Windows 7 will support full on-PC play of Xbox 360 games, even Halo 3, and the emulation of PS3 games. (No Wii, sorry.)

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203886,00.jpg

New Windows 7-only add-on drives will let you play VHS tapes and record them directly to DVD-R discs. Betamax coming soon.

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203878,00.jpg

Returning as the exclusive Windows 7 screensaver is "Flying Toasters."

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203883,00.jpg

For years, users have been complaining about the challenges of navigating folder structures and finding the files they need when they need them—you always needed too many clicks to get to even the most basic locations. Windows 7 ends those troubles for good with its integrated Microsoft Dynamic Operation Structure (acronym forthcoming). A super-simple keyboard interface makes exploring all your connected drives and accessing their contents easier than ever.

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203885,00.jpg

Windows 7's new ultrasound generator shakes dust particles off your display and seamlessly integrates with the new Microsoft Viper Widescreen Wiper Blades plus detergent pump and chamois cloth to ensure that your screen is automatically kept clean.

*common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/20/0,1425,sz=1&i=203881,00.jpg

New UberDriver features include Booklet printing (printing four document pages on each sheet of paper—2 on each side—and automatically renumbering the pages so you can fold the stack of pages in half and have all the document pages in the right order); n-Up printing (the option to print 2, 4, 8, or 16 document pages per page); manual duplexing for simplex scanners (similar to manual duplexing for printers: Scan one side of a stack of pages, scan the other, and the UberDriver will put the pages in the right order).

PCMAG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom