Suggestions for GPU

nipunb

Broken In
ok, so, its been several months and I still can't decide which GPU should I buy...
I watched and read literally hundreds of reviews and benchmarks for different cards and I'm still confused..
nvidia cards are a preference for me(don't ask why), so far, I've narrowed down the options to the following:
1: 2 gtx 660 ti in SLI
Reason: I've watched many benchmarks for different games on many websites and in those benchmarks, 2 gtx 660 ti performed way better than a single 670 or even a 680...

2: single gtx 670 (normal version or the zotac's amp version)
Reason: Read on many websites that its a better option as its performance is almost same as 660 ti sli and in future I can add another 670 and double the performance...

3: single gtx 680
Reason: Same as the above reason, thought that why not get a better card for additional 5k.

So, which option is better and why, It should play all games at extreme settings and it should be future proof too as, obviously, I don't wanna buy the expensive stuff again some time soon....
Its purpose will be gaming on a 1080p 24" monitor, my other pc specs are:
i7 3770k
asrock z77 extreme 6
700w psu
cooler master haf xm case

OP
N

nipunb

Broken In
this one: Cooler Master 700w PSU

I don't mind changing the PSU, in case its not enough for running 2 cards in sli....

OP
N

nipunb

Broken In
will buy a corsair psu when I buy the GPU, but I need to decide about the gpu first....
anyone can help me with the gpu problem???

Myth

Cyborg Agent
For a single card setup you could opt for a amd cards, eg 7970. They perform well. And are vfm. Else opt for a 680.
Take the best single card in your range. Add another later. It will cost more but also last longer.

Take a minimum of 750w. Corsair or Seasonic.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Better go with gtx 670 instead of 680 as the performance difference bettween 680 and 670 is 5% and big price gap.if you want amd then get hd 7970 vapour x and if overclocked then it will beat even gtx 680 or another choice is hd 7970ghz editon.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
this one: Cooler Master 700w PSU

I don't mind changing the PSU, in case its not enough for running 2 cards in sli....

Very BAD PSU. It won't be able to run single good graphics card. I think it is one of the worst 'branded' PSU series available in the market.
Change it before adding any descent graphics card.

OP
N

nipunb

Broken In
Very BAD PSU. It won't be able to run single good graphics card. I think it is one of the worst 'branded' PSU series available in the market.
Change it before adding any descent graphics card.
yeah, as I said earlier that i'll buy a new psu when i buy the gpu, thats not a problem...
the problem here is the choice of gpu, I guess i'll go for a gtx 670 and add another one after few months.....
btw, how much watts psu should I get to be able to run 2 gtx 670 or maybe 2 gtx 680 and what brand should I get....

Cilus

laborare est orare
But the PSU isn't that bad as the power consumption of the new Graphics cards are very low and I think the current PSU can handle 'em. Obviously it is no match for Corsair TX or GS series but it is not also the infamous Extreme or Extreme Plus series PSU from CM.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
yeah, as I said earlier that i'll buy a new psu when i buy the gpu, thats not a problem...
the problem here is the choice of gpu, I guess i'll go for a gtx 670 and add another one after few months.....
btw, how much watts psu should I get to be able to run 2 gtx 670 or maybe 2 gtx 680 and what brand should I get....

For 2x GTX670, you are gooing to need a good 750Watt PSU or above.
Like, TX750V2, HX750, HX850 from Corsair.
Or, X750 or X850 from Seasonic.

also the infamous Extreme or Extreme Plus series PSU from CM.

FYI: Extreme series has been renamed to Thunder Series couple of months ago.

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
I would suggest to go for 660ti 3gig version or if tight budget get 2gb version gud for 2+ years down the line and you dont need SLI unless all games keeps demanding a lot and 30+ is mostly playable as even high compute scence max drop would be 10-15 fps so no worry

later a year the gpu price and psu price might fall down so if you feel the new title demand more then add one more 660ti as it makes sense and all games are playable even 5 series

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For 2x GTX670, you are gooing to need a good 750Watt PSU or above.
Like, TX750V2, HX750, HX850 from Corsair.
Or, X750 or X850 from Seasonic.

FYI: Extreme series has been renamed to Thunder Series couple of months ago.

perfect name for the way it may perform ;-)

Top Bottom