Subtitle for English Movies on TV - Ur Take ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I generally like to use subs only when I'm not able to clearly understand what the actors are saying. But honestly, it's very distracting while watching TV.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
lolz...i rarely watch idiot box. But its plain stupid to provide subtitle in same language.

nix

i love subtitles for english movies..

i cant understand what they most of the time. they are too fast. so subtitles are a boon for me. they help me understand the movie completely. i hope more movies are shown with subtitles. right now, only HBO shows them for a few movies...

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
aand include zee mgm in ur list...

hbo sucks at clarity... so i least watch it and now with subs.. they suck more....

hope star keeps its value !!!

prasad_den

Padawan
I would prefer subtitles.. Its not just the accent.. Each actor/actress has his / her own way of delivering the dialogues.. Its a little difficult to follow for all.
Rather than questioning whether subtitles are needed or not, it is better to ask/demand for the option of turning on/off subtitles. Subtitles should be provided for all films..! The choice of whether you want it or not should be with the audience.

@nix: Watch Zee Studio.. They show most of the films with subtitles.. And of course my favorite channel, World Movies, shows subtitles.. but they have to.. :)

Last edited:
OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
yes thats wht i have been saying .. just like in DVD where u can have subs or not ...

isnt that a special feature in DTH ???

but none of the channels are giving subs

anispace

dattebayo
well whats the point of fighting over here? Whether u like it or not these channels dont give a damn.. they arent gonna stop showing subtitles just coz of u. Personally i hate them and would prefer if they gave us an option to enable or disable them at our will which i think is possible on dth n cas.

Now HBO shows subtitles for all movies just like Zee studio.... just hoping that Star Movies and Pix dont follow suit.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
^^True!!! I was just about to say that!!!

But SNATCH on TV - Subtitle = Way to hard to grasp!!!!

anispace

dattebayo
Yippie kay-yay.... now even Star Movies has started showing subtitles with even LARGER font. Now only Sony Pix is left and maybe even Star World if they too decide that putting stupid English subtitles for English movies is gonna get them more viewers.

TV viewing in India now officially s|_|cks. Now where did i save those torrents?

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
i LOVE Subtitles... yeah... That way I can use more of my senses to enjoy the stuff. :D
What actually should be done for THOSE who are distracted is; provide it in a seaprate track like Audio, Video.. Just like MetalheadGautham said. :)

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
its useful when udon't understand a particular word or sentence...lol but have to admit whenever these channels bring the subtitles...the censorship of few words are pretty weird & funny...

superczar

-n00b-
if you don't like 'em, keep your eyes away

Same language Subs help folks with hearing disabilities enjoy movies

I wonder why they don't bring in subs on Hindi and regional language channels too

Most TVs anyway have bad SQ , combine that with the highly compressed audio available on most TV channels and most dialog sounds muffled and garbled ..

And please, same language subs are in no way comparable to dubbed flicks
Most vernacular translation jobs are very badly botched

I guess some folks get some kind of twisted faux elitist kick by claiming that subtitles ruin their experience, coz they, after all do not need those subs even when watching Chris Tucker whine away to glory while wincing and focusing hard to catch the dialogs coming via some $hitty pair of speakers :lol:

anispace

dattebayo
nobody is against subs.. even i enable subs sometimes when watching movies on my PC. But forcing them down our throat is wrong. Keep them optional as an added feature on DTH n CAS. People who need them can enable them if n when they want.

Whats the point of buying a 32 inch LCD+ some DTH service n watching Transformers with those subs which i dont need spoiling my viewing experience?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
For now I don't see them (broadcasters) including subtitles as a separate source like audio. May be in future they might.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Subs are really good for people who download shows or movies from the internet. I wouldnt know about getting them on the local TV. Only a small minority of the TV shows in India are really worth watching.

axxo

99.9% Idle
First think I do after downloading a movie from net is download a subtitle for the same from opentitles.org. Without subtitles I wont watch any of the english movie, its hard for me atleast to follow the voice conversation.
Just bcoz of subtitles I started watching HBO channels nowadays.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Whats wrong in those subtitles? If you dont like it, don't watch the subtitles. It just takes a little space. Yah.. but large font is not okay!

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
if you don't like 'em, keep your eyes away

Same language Subs help folks with hearing disabilities enjoy movies

I wonder why they don't bring in subs on Hindi and regional language channels too

Most TVs anyway have bad SQ , combine that with the highly compressed audio available on most TV channels and most dialog sounds muffled and garbled ..

And please, same language subs are in no way comparable to dubbed flicks
Most vernacular translation jobs are very badly botched

I guess some folks get some kind of twisted faux elitist kick by claiming that subtitles ruin their experience, coz they, after all do not need those subs even when watching Chris Tucker whine away to glory while wincing and focusing hard to catch the dialogs coming via some $hitty pair of speakers :lol:

keep ur eyes away ???? dude how is it possible to keep away the subs .. when itss covering nearly 1/4th of the screen ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom