South Indian Regional Movies/Kollywood Vs Bollywood

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
That's because they're not in here yet. Maybe just keeping low for a while. I do not know about Kollywood, but I've heard stuff like someone throws a gun, like a boomerang it goes around the room shooting all the baddies and then returns to the hero. Sounds as crazy as the Matrix.

Yes if something like this is done in hollywood then its suberb .. when the same stunt is done in southindian film then its redicilious. I say a superhero in hollywood can fly who wheres his underware outside where as a indian flying is considered a joke :p

BTW his daughter Soundary , she one told in a interview that people love to see those crazy stunts, thats why he still does these kinda stunts, she also writes scripts for him. She studied multimedia at Edith Cowan University, Australia. she also heads a animation company.
*www.newindpress.com/images/jan08/12bossjr.jpg

legolas

Padawan
@drgrudge, I accept Matrix fights defied gravity... But the concept of the movie itself was controlling with the mind. The matrix world itself where play with the mind happens. If you remember Morpheus' dialogue "A body can not live with out the mind". It took Neo time to realize that it is his mind which is to be controlled and realized in the matrix world and the potentialities of Mind is unexplainable, i think its pretty understandable. I guess you would accept with me if I say, its something like "telekinesia" as it comes in the show Heroes.

Tamil and Bollywood movies portray no concept of that sort, not even in 1 movie, so that comparison is pretty lame.

Otherwise, in my purview, Tamil movies are at least equally as good ad Bollywood. In fact I would say, Talent is more in Tamil than in Hindi field, the budget of the movies are relatively higher, may be, in Hindi (with the exception of Rajni movies and some other) and its completely wasted with ridiculous acting.

I personally hate SRK movies. I am sick of the typical plots.

I am from Tamilnadu, and if I have to btich abt Tamil movies then,

1) I am sick of heroes and villains shouting "ayyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeehhhh", "hueyyyyyyyyyyyyyehhhh"... But, I guess its now in every language now except for may be "malayalam"??

2) Gravity defying fights?? Holy CRAP. I accept in some hollywood movies also, this occurs, especially, this recent 2007 crap "hitman"... See that! :D

3) I have to accede, professionalism is more in Hindi movies, at least I think so, for... Hindi actors are more fit (even if they dont act... very good ex: john abraham), they look like they can at least stand the vindictive villains... See Dhanush, Jeeva, Simbu.... I am not talking about looks but professionalism. Also, "red eyes" as one of them mentioned, half-drunk happens more frequently in Tamil than Hindi, to my knowledge.It may be wrong.

4) song lyrics are horrible. the problem is that the population in city is more educated than say 20 yrs before, but the gap with villages have widened.. So, when it becomes necessary to satisfy the audience in villages,towns etc... it becomes so low and undervalued for ppl who expect a story line, reality, believable, continuous movie!

5) Screenplay is more or less like advertisement (compared to Hollywood movies)... and this is not in all movies... Hindi movies suck more in this regard.

Finally, I recommend you to see the movie "Michael Clayton" starring George Clooney, written and directed (debut) by Tony Gilroy (previously in screenplay)... See the gravity of the movie with a very simple concept. It is all I ask!! I need no super-hero stunts... no ubersexy dances....

I hope my opinion helps a few among you to continue btiching about either industries :lol: :D

Last edited:
OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
legolas -
I saw some 70 mins in Michael Clayton and I couldn't understand what the hell was going on. :D

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
Tamil and Bollywood movies portray no concept of that sort, not even in 1 movie, so that comparison is pretty lame.
ya...even the gravity defying stunts in matrix makes sense in the context of the story.
And regional movies tries to copy the same stunts and fails

juggler

In the zone
See matrix had a very solid concept
It was based on virtual reality where ur power is only limited by your thought.
Most hindi movies do not show these kind of concept. If shown properly with some logic people will accept them. ex In krrish the director have shown that the hero has inhereted super powers and hence no one joked about it.

praka123

left this forum longback
@legolas:young actors in South Indian movies are fit!may be u will be watching few old movies ;) BTW,John Abraham is a half-Malayali too,JFYI ;)

mediator

Technomancer
I think its irrelevant where the actors r from. Its bt Kolly Vs Bolly and how healthy lads n chicks they hire.

legolas

Padawan
legolas -
I saw some 70 mins in Michael Clayton and I couldn't understand what the hell was going on. :D
grudgy, It portrays the life of a guy (George Clooney) Michael Clayton who is "the fixer" in a company which is affiliated to one of the greatest law firms. One of the lawyer (by far the best) Tim Wilkinson becomes sick of putting wrong-doers behind the bars and he accidentally comes across evidence sufficient to sue the company and bring them to limelight... the crime the company does masked under the name of "law". Michael clayton who is under lots of debt owing to his lethargic brother is asked to take care of the situation. But at the same time, the boss of the LAW firm will go to any extent to save the name of the company. How he deals the debt, how he solves one of the greatest case (in cajoling the best lawyer)... whether he succeeds is the plot.

See the screenplay.. Its marvelous, wondrous, remarkable. do you see any discontinuity? I couldn't even spot 1. For a debut direction.. I would say this is a milestone!!!

Also, regarding the original topic, one more point I forgot to mention, though this is not between bollywood/kollywood but... Hollywood Vs bolly/kollywood.

There, all the actors go for acting classes, take part in skits, plays, dramas, soap operas, dancing, tv shows, reality shows (some), and by the time they are decided fit to enter the big screen, they are arnd 30-40. But, all the experiences they have gained over helps them better.

In our country, director's son, producer's son etc... are the major percentage. Even the others have no clue about acting except for aspiration...

In spite of that, there are awesome actors in both the bollywood and kollywood still... the quality is a function of the whole lot, not the best ones! :(

@Praka123, John Abraham -> Half malayali -> disgrace to malayalam industry where such class actors are there and beautiful storylines and screenplays demand acting (I watched malayalam movies till arnd 2003 may be... I am so out of touch with recent movies... But I did see Dilip movies in Surya. OMG, he has become soooooo fat) :D

reg. south indian actors fit.. I wouldn't really agree to it. To be frank, I don't really see a difference between a spoilt brat on the street and now-a-days hero.. I don't know most of their names... I don't want to know them. Professionalism lacks! relatively in south indian movies, I would say... My finest example is dhanush!! My ear decibel hearing level resolution has gone down by him shouting along with the villain "yeiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" :lol:

take it easy!

Last edited:

juggler

In the zone
Ya main problem in india is they do not plan the film well
In most of the movies it seems that in the end the directors somehow try to finish the movies in ways that defy logic

praka123

left this forum longback
tamil have seen few old films among that I like:
muthal maryada
mounaragam
johny
kadhalan
panineerpushpangal(saw in both malayalam and tamil ;) )
..>thats what all I remember neow!
well,Malayalam films "were" my favourites until it copied that dappaan koothu and telegu,hindi numbers ;)

Still,regularly watches vijay movies as I like his act and the almost same storyline in all vijayan's movies :D

Telegu films watched few handful of movies,most of them is cr@p(no offense meant).
though I like Allu Arjun's movies like happy etc (babai,Ikkada Keralavundu telegu pada Chaala Ishta...sry I am not very fam with telegu) all these movies come here either dubbed in mal or not.
I have seen Manasantha Nuvve,Nuvve kaavali etc

Kannada movies I last saw was Mungaaru Maley(Munne peitha Malai) the film is really touchy and I liked the songs esp Suvvi Suvvi...

mediator

Technomancer
I liked Shiva (Nagarjuna one). I thought, it wud be 2 hr movie like the rest. But it beat the records I guess => 6 hrs movie?? It left me enthralled. :shock:

legolas

Padawan
rightly put, vijay movies -> stereo type. but, he said to the press after giving a couple of stereotype movies sometime back.. that he takes those plots again and again becoz its what his fans like... and when he tried different rolls like "priyamanavale", "kannukul nilavu" and stuffs... it was utter flop!!

he is partially right... But different script alone isn't necessary... We shouldn't blame him... The direction sucked in both movies!!!

legolas

Padawan
dude, teh section is "fight club" and the topic is debatable... what do you expect? :lol:
don't be afraid.. jus kidding.
Everyone knows its not productive fighting (for anything for that matter), for advices are seldom taken! :D

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
Iam not that watching south movies .but certainly actors have better charm than bollywood one except Nana , dilip kumar and Amitabh . specially chiranjeevi and Nagarjuna are kool ones from telugu belt

keshavasiva

Banned
Legolas dude...! Chill! You might not need ubers*** dances or stunts are any *** but others may need ... atleast dance..>! May be you are very westernized and only watch hollywood movies where there are no songs and so no dance..!! is that so... then lol>>>!
There is public who want not just some dry (micheal clayton or wateva...for tat matter indiana jones or wateva) physics or some adventure or life history.......They want some entertainment... and you can understand by the fan following they have.... (Be sure I am not one of them -- nvr gonna be) Just to tell you that please don't try not to believe or to cover up the naked facts...!!
I don't know I never like tamil films.... I feel that they are fighting even when are talking :D(no offence.. its just wat i felt ).. . I only watch films with a huge comedy...(brahmanandam(King for comedy in south india), venumadhav, sunil..etc.... (people who might have watched some dubbing mite understand..... Bollywood...mY lord.. is just a show bottle...sex racket kinda...nothing more...tho there are some good movies being released these days ..... I like good horror movies which Indian Cinema lacks a lot...!!!

Last edited:

Baker

Albicelestes
u bollywood lovers....

most of the movies now u r enjoying , was we already enjovyed in late 80s......

whatever it is ........
quality ==malayalam movie industry..

once there was an interview with kamalhasan in asianet (a channel in malayalam)

question is like :how u are comparing tamil movie industry with malayalam , especially now in tamil lot of new new acters are coming with different stories , but in our (malayalam) industry still running with same heros and same old stories

He replied like : i agree now there are lot of good movies coming in tamil , but i can say only one thing tamil industry doesnt have peoples like MT vasudevan nair, addor gopala krishnan, padmarajan ,bharadan....... that make the difference in movie standards

peace

virilecliffhanger

I ain't afraid of nothin'
hmm...kill it...!

Comedy.... I love comedy! I can find plenty of it in Telugu... Brahmanandam..
Can you match anyone to him in kolly or mally?

D

drbutcherm

Does anyone know of negative roles that Nayantara or Sheela played in south indian films?

Top Bottom