Sony Xperia S Discussion thread

Sarath

iDota
Sony Xperia S™

*r-www.se-mc.com/cws/file/1.1050795.1326281450!translation/image/xperia-s-see-..e-images8.jpg

The latest smartphone from the Sony Ericsson stable is the yet unreleased Xperia S. The phone will be the first to come out under the Sony brand after their split with Ericsson, although the official confirmation of the split is yet to be announced. However the pictures of the latest phones and the latest prototype leaks have already started carrying the Sony brand without the Erricson tag, showing strong inclinations that this could well be the Sony Xperia S

Coming to the phone, it is a beauty that impresses you even when you are prying on it behind a sealed glass case. Sony has chosen a rectangular design, a little less radical than the unorthodox shape of the curved Xperia Arc S but added a dash of it's design aesthetic in the form of a glass strip that houses the Back, Home and Menu buttons. There is considerable space below the glass button which seems like an excess but as previous Xperia users will tell you, it is a welcome dead area which will prevent false presses when holding your phone. The phone comes in while and black flavours. Overall the design is very appealing.

Spec wise the Xperia S has a
4.3" HD Reality Display powered by Sony’s Bravia Engine which is a 720p screen
Under it's beautiful exterior there is a beast in the working in the form of 1GB of RAM, a 1.5GHz dual core processor, and a memory card slot expandable up to a 32GB (micro SD). The camera is a ginormous 12 megapixels, far outpacing its competition, powered by Exmor R sensor. It shoots video at 1080p. The front camera is a welcome commonplace feature which was missing in the Arc S and is capable of 1.3MP stills and 720p video capture. Sony has been considerably late to the dual core brigade but the design and the rest of the hardware more than makes up for that little delay.

The device runs on Gingerbread build (v.2.3) and will be updated to ICS in March, which is the same time all the previous Xperia phones are slated for an upgrade too. For gaming enthusiasts, Sony has added a bonus by making this
PlayStation certified. Sony has also bundled various apps for a better experience but the usability of the same is limited by individual preferences. However the stock launcher and the gingerbread build customised by Sony is neat and beautiful.

The details on pricing are still under wraps, but it is safe to assume it will also release for around Rs.30000 to Rs.35000, the price at launch of most of the current high end devices. With competition from the likes of Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Razr, HTC Sensation XL and the current favourite droid, the Samsung Galaxy S2, the Sony Xperia S has a tough fight ahead but will surely find it's match in people looking for a phone that qualifies their requirement of "beauty with brains"

-Wrote this for TE initially (for their paid authors call) I think it's better to share it than let it stagnate in my PM inbox :)

Last edited:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
That only time will tell :)

But looks wise it sure is one of the best that have come out yet. Some time I feel, Sony spends so much time designing these that they forget what is the current build of Android release :))

TheLetterD

Will Power
*www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/11-new-Sony-handsets-revealed-with-India_8539.html

Wasnt Xperia S 's codename Nyphon? cuz if it was , and if these sales report is True then 24K is an amazing price for this phone.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Well of the few things I can guess and be sure about, the pricing of Sony is one. A VFM product from them, well, is akin to a dream.

It's got to be around 30k. I would love to be proven wrong however. :)

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Even the lower end Kumquat i25t has the same design, dual core processor, but FWVGA screen and 5MP camera, and a price of near 250 euros.

I wish it had a bigger screen, it's 3.5" only

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
this is the problem with current gen android smartphone. once you find a design, it'll be implemented on A-to-Z all mobile that the company will out in that year or till they can't find a better replacement. Samsung, HTC, LG & now Sony.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Release prices :

Arc - 32000
Play - 35000
Arc S - 32000

Now we know where the Xperia S will stand :)

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hahah true but I believe SE has learnt from its prev. mistakes and the Price would be quite reasonable! Well, lets see!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Xperia S to feature a fast-charge battery and anti-stain coating

Sony Xperia S, is rumored to feature a sunlight-activated coating which should help repel dirt and other stain-forming materials, as well as a quick-charge battery.
Dirt and chocolate stains on the cover are said to come off easily after the UV coating is exposed to sunlight for several seconds, and the battery charge times are expected to be reduced by half when compared to previous Xperia models. A ten minute charge should provide an hours worth of standby.

Source

Top Bottom