Sony Xperia 2013 Thread

aroraanant

Explorer
and we can only hope if this ever gets launched here, they better remember this is India.

Butterfly is launched here much sooner when compared to other countries so I guess this time also they will launch it soon.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
@randomuser Do you know the user available RAM on Xperia Z? Couldn't find anything on google. On 1080p devices like DNA and One it is 1.5GB and 512MB is allocated to vRAM. Same for Xperia Z? Not that it matters. Just curious

It's around 1.6 GB I guess. Light usage you get up to 1.4GB free. Will confirm and tell you later

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Won't GPU have it's own vRAM? Like in desktop GPU's? Just asking.

Adreno and Mali don't have a dedicated vRAM. Tegra and PowerVR have. This could be an issue with 1080p devices where 500mb of RAM is allocated to GPU (confirmed on Droid DNA and HTC One) Sense UI + services will take up additional 400-500 mb and you are left with 1gb of ram for multitasking.

Nexus 4 has around 1.6 gb free for multitasking and around 1.8gb after reboot

rider

as Kratos
Adreno and Mali don't have a dedicated vRAM. Tegra and PowerVR have. This could be an issue with 1080p devices where 500mb of RAM is allocated to GPU (confirmed on Droid DNA and HTC One) Sense UI + services will take up additional 400-500 mb and you are left with 1gb of ram for multitasking.

Nexus 4 gives ultimate android experience. No matter how many apps are open it works like charm. 2GB RAM is need of high end 2013 smartphones.

For comparison to Xperia Z. Here is the Antutu benchmark of new HTC One

*pbs.twimg.com/media/BDmojZdCIAAy0Dv.jpg

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
^^

Xperia Z scores 20800 or so. Its the Nexus 4 that turns out to be the loser scoring 17000 in Antutu:p

tkin

Back to school!!

You sure? Cause on my L9(SGX540) max ram showed is 785MB, so the UI etc takes 215MB? But not the GPU?

Nexus 4 gives ultimate android experience. No matter how many apps are open it works like charm. 2GB RAM is need of high end 2013 smartphones.

For comparison to Xperia Z. Here is the Antutu benchmark of new HTC One

*pbs.twimg.com/media/BDmojZdCIAAy0Dv.jpg
When will this end? I don't believe this, goes to show how unoptimized android is, Win 7 runs fine on 2GB, though you can't use chrome, that's another memory hog, I use opera for browsing, fine with 2GB, I even played AC3 with no slowdowns.

^^

Xperia Z scores 20800 or so. Its the Nexus 4 that turns out to be the loser scoring 17000 in Antutu:p
Price vs performance, can you get an unlocked Z for $199?

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
@tkin

Nexus 4 has the same chip as Z but its behind performance wise, which is not cool. Also as for the price, I dont need to explain to you why its cheap. Its not cheap because its a cheap phone compared to Z but due to Google's wish. Part of the reason why most OEMs are no longer interested in making a nexus device।

Optimus G is the LG version of N4 and you know well how much that costs, though it doesnt suffer from thermal throttling like in N4 and is much more stable

tkin

Back to school!!
^ Not all models have vRAM. Latest ones like SGX543/544, 55x and 6xx (rouge series) have vRAM.
Makes sense :cry:

@tkin

Nexus 4 has the same chip as Z but its behind performance wise, which is not cool. Also as for the price, I dont need to explain to you why its cheap. Its not cheap because its a cheap phone compared to Z but due to Google's wish. Part of the reason why most OEMs are no longer interested in making a nexus device।

Optimus G is the LG version of N4 and you know well how much that costs, though it doesnt suffer from thermal throttling like in N4 and is much more stable
That's what I am saying, you pay more, you get better, the Asus Padfone 2 has the same chip, but its a lot faster than Z or Butterfly etc, check out the engadget reviews, it all boils down to how much you can optimize the drivers for the device. And being a Nexus device, LG simply didn't optimize it enough, neither did google, since its all about vanilla OS, still, can't beat Nexus 4 for that price.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Problem with Nexus is thermal throttling. Anandtech benchmarked it inside deep freeze and it performs much better... which sounds funny

rider

as Kratos
Well as far as I know. Nexus phones don't perform incredible in benchmarks but the real life day to day performance and user accessibility is much smoother, mature and versatile. May be because it's pure google android experience. I believe Xperia Z would turn out to be great device in stock jellybean 4.2.2 ROM.

Problem with Nexus is thermal throttling. Anandtech benchmarked it inside deep freeze and it performs much better... which sounds funny

They done this test to confirm the thermal throttling. Every computer device performs exothermic reaction and definitely performs its best in low temperature.

^^

It's 17500 :facepalm: and compare the price man! for 22-23k bucks (imported) this score is incredible. The phone is an example of value for money product.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Whatever. But you said Xperia Z comparison and Xperia Z is nowhere in that pic u attached. :p

Anyways yes, for the price N4 is a beast. No doubt. Much better value than Xperia Z/ HTC One or any other phone.

rider

as Kratos
^

Whatever. But you said Xperia Z comparison and Xperia Z is nowhere in that pic u attached. :p

Anyways yes, for the price N4 is a beast. No doubt. Much better value than Xperia Z/ HTC One or any other phone.

Did Sony showed Xperia Z's benchmarks officially?

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Then don't post "Xperia Z benchmark comparison with ONE" when it isn't even listed. Write Nexus 4 comparison instead.

Xperia Z Antutu from GSMArena

*i.imgur.com/GqTFTro.jpg

rider

as Kratos
^

Then don't post "Xperia Z benchmark comparison with ONE" when it isn't even listed. Write Nexus 4 comparison instead.

Xperia Z Antutu from GSMArena

*i.imgur.com/GqTFTro.jpg

No, I asked: Did Sony officially showed benchmarks of XZ?

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Sony doesn't show any benchmarks or whatever. That's not Sony Style ;) That is Apple/HTC/Samsung style :D

rider

as Kratos
Sony doesn't show any benchmarks or whatever. That's not Sony Style ;)

Well as I can see new HTC One beaten XZ with a fair margin in antutu. I liked its ultrapixel tech camera. it seems to be legendary. The performance in low light/night is incredible.

See this:
*pbs.twimg.com/media/BDmpyGpCYAAG5-3.jpg