Sony Xperia 2013 Thread

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
The Negatives of Z:
1. Playing HD videos drains battery more than it should. Butterfly, with same specs, doesn't consume as much, so it means this can be fixed by a software update.
2. Pictures taken in low light has high noise. Can be overcome by manual settings. Other wise camera is good if not great.
3. Screen is not good in obtuse angle. Cannot be fixed, but most of us don't view the screen in obtuse angle, even while sharing the screen with the next person.
4. Audio is not so loud. This is a water proof device and bound to have trade-offs.
5. Finger print magnet - I don't think this validates as an issue at all.

All the issues, if seen with out any perspective, are show stoppers. But if you take into account the whole package and the reason behind it, then I don't think these issues stand in the way of me buying this phone. Am I going to buy this phone? Certainly I like to, but not looking to buy any new high end phones for at least a year. By the time I buy, Sony would have released two more flagships. When I do buy (a flagship mobile), I would most likely buy a Sony.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
The Negatives of Z:
1. Playing HD videos drains battery more than it should. Butterfly, with same specs, doesn't consume as much, so it means this can be fixed by a software update.
2. Pictures taken in low light has high noise. Can be overcome by manual settings. Other wise camera is good if not great.
3. Screen is not good in obtuse angle. Cannot be fixed, but most of us don't view the screen in obtuse angle, even while sharing the screen with the next person.
4. Audio is not so loud. This is a water proof device and bound to have trade-offs.
5. Finger print magnet - I don't think this validates as an issue at all.

All the issues, if seen with out any perspective, are show stoppers. But if you take into account the whole package and the reason behind it, then I don't think these issues stand in the way of me buying this phone. Am I going to buy this phone? Certainly I like to, but not looking to buy any new high end phones for at least a year. By the time I buy, Sony would have released two more flagships. When I do buy (a flagship mobile), I would most likely buy a Sony.

Agree :)

This is how you point out negatives. Genuine negative points.

Let me add some more:

1. Gamma is set too high, needs a fix

2. Camera takes time to open, Quick Launch Capture doesn't work everytime.

3. A little too much bloatware

4. "Only" 16 GB Internal. Should have been 32GB at least.

5. Audio via earphones is still not as loud as could be.

6. LED Flash is quite weak.

7. Surprisingly not even a cover case in the box (except for early buyers)

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Camera performance can be improved in next firmware. It isn't Sony quality camera to be honest. IPhone uses Sony sensor and has performance equivalent to the next iteration of Sony exmor sensor. Why would Sony make RS sensor if there is no benefit over previous generation of its own product. It seems like a software issue

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
This will be the last year you'll see Sony sensors in Samsung and Apple phones. Next year onwards Exmor RS sensors will be exclusive to Sony Xperia.

Even this year only the 13mp Exmor RS sensor will be sold to Samsung and Apple. The newer 16 and 20 mp sensors will be Sony exclusive.

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Xperia L vs Samsung galaxy s2 vs Xperia SL gpu benchmark comparison

*www.glbenchmark.com/compare.jsp?D1=Sony+C2105&D2=Samsung+GT-i9100+Galaxy+S2&D3=Sony+LT26ii&cols=3

Last edited:

vineet09

Broken In
^

Who the hell is that idiot ? He's a sony hater clearly. All other sites are not crazy to give Z positive reviews.

You are saying as if he's some big shot GOD of mobile reviews. He can go eat Galaxy S4 smoothie, for all I care.

And you are okay following GSMArena and referring to Z screen as TFT but disregard GSMArena when it comes to camera and claim that Z camera is as bad as Nexus 4. Absolutely ridiculous

I can dig up similar reviews of people calling Nexus 4 S***. But that doesn't make Nexus 4 s***. Same way quoting this idiotic review won't make the Z a bad phone.

Do you even read before posting? All sites didn't give XZ an A+. gsmarena review disadvantages are right on and so are those mentioned on the verge. Don't use ''all'' in that sentence if it's not true, it only undermines your credibility. And let me get this straight, acc to you when a reviewer(as in that clip) says the truth which you delusionally disagree with, he is a hater, right? btw I agree , I own it

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

I never said that. GSMArena review is nowhere negative at all. It's very positive. There are very few reviews that give Z 3/10 or less. Most reviews have given it 4/5 or 4.5/5 or 5/5.

Even PA gave it 8.5/10 even though the review was crap.

Only haters will cling to the worst review and try to argue that the product they don't like is very bad. And conveniently ignore all positive reviews. It shouldn't be all positive either and I have myself highlighted the negative aspects before you call me a deluded fan.

So when that review states something completely opposite of all other reviews, you know something is seriously wrong. Either he got a faulty unit or he doesn't have any interest in the phone and PERSONALLY doesn't like it.

If you own the Z and don't like it then just sell it. No need to whine here. I'm not gonna cry hearing your what you or rider or that crap review says about the Z. The Z is a massive success globally and the sales numbers will speak for themselves.

Whatever your state of mind or you have misunderstood my posts, I don't care. Your post was rude and uncalled for.

@Topic

Sony No.3 Smartphone brand in India with 9.4% market Share. Samsung 38.8% and Apple 15.6% at No.1 and No.2, respectively. :D

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
^

I never said that. GSMArena review is nowhere negative at all. It's very positive. There are very few reviews that give Z 3/10 or less. Most reviews have given it 4/5 or 4.5/5 or 5/5.

Even PA gave it 8.5/10 even though the review was crap.

So when that review states something completely opposite of all other reviews, you know something is seriously wrong. Either he got a faulty unit or he doesn't have any interest in the phone and PERSONALLY doesn't like it.

If you own the Z and don't like it then just sell it. No need to whine here. I'm not gonna cry hearing your what you or rider or that crap review says about the Z. The Z is a massive success globally and the sales numbers will speak for themselves.

Whatever your state of mind or you have misunderstood my posts, I don't care. Your post was rude and uncalled for.

@Topic

Sony No.3 Smartphone brand in India with 9.4% market Share. Samsung 38.8% and Apple 15.6% at No.1 and No.2, respectively. :D

Relax... Its just a review... BTW, MKBHD is a respectable reviewer... -- Sony Xperia Z Review! - YouTube

Even the Verge review lambasted Xperia Z's camera, and gave it only a 7.2/10, considering HTC One got an 8.3... -- Sony Xperia Z review | The Verge

Granted it was Vlad Savov who did the review, and he is known to be very tough on phones. He is an Android user btw...

I was surprised to read Android Central's review of the phone's camera... pleasantly surprised indeed. They actually praised the camera.

Also, almost every reviewer has disliked poor viewing angles on the screen. Its not a TN display, SONY is not stupid... but not a high end IPS display either...

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

True, it's not the highest end IPS panel and furthermore the OptiContrast layer also reduces viewing angle. BTW thanks for your post, at last someone sensible posted here. :)

Anyway this is from GSMArena

"Surely the Xperia Z 13MP samples are quite a mess, but when downsized to the HTC One 4MP resolution...well... Z's pictures are better. Or way better. Really good job, Sony!

Never thought I'd be so happy with my decision to exchange my S III with Xperia Z. The design is awesome, the battery life too. If only it could take as awesome panorama shots as the iPhone 4S/5, the camera would have been perfect. But nothing is that perfect, right?

We'll do a lot more camera tests for our review, don't worry

Kyle..."

You read that, camera is better than GS3/Iphone 5 and yet some people have to make ridiculous statements which only shows how deluded they are.

What else you expect from a tiny sensor? To beat a DSLR ??????? Christ !!!

Last edited:

coolnikk

Journeyman
Actually yesterday I went to croma and demoed the iphone 5 and xperia z I found that iphone cam is warm and xz is kind a washed out did 10-15 shots but they were quite washed out.Now my question is whether there was issue on phone bacause in reviews the images were quite better to be frank.Will or can it be fixed through an update and for rest of the xz its a good phone body could have been better (the sharp edges) and brightness was off by 15% at top in comparion to my s3 as for the rest sony has done a good job

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Actually yesterday I went to croma and demoed the iphone 5 and xperia z I found that iphone cam is warm and xz is kind a washed out did 10-15 shots but they were quite washed out.Now my question is whether there was issue on phone bacause in reviews the images were quite better to be frank.Will or can it be fixed through an update and for rest of the xz its a good phone body could have been better (the sharp edges) and brightness was off by 15% at top in comparion to my s3 as for the rest sony has done a good job

That's because Iphone 5 opts for over saturated presentation whereas Z aims at natural colors. But you can increase color saturation in camera manual mode.

As for brightness it was due to "Adapt to Lighting Conditions" being checked in settings. When this mode is on the phone won't go to full brightness.

:)

coolnikk

Journeyman
Thx for the quick clarification can we see some improvement in cam performance with s/w update plus my sister liked iphone so tats for her and for me I will think xz or one or sony beast as u said well any rumours when will it be launched and the price tag actually as for brightness I unchecked adapt to lighting and throttled the brightness completely but I found it a bit lacking but the ui oh man I just love it

Between off topic:
Iphone 5 64gb @56k is it a good deal as I have no idea for iphone's pricing

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Thx for the quick clarification can we see some improvement in cam performance with s/w update plus my sister liked iphone so tats for her and for me I will think xz or one or sony beast as u said well any rumours when will it be launched and the price tag actually as for brightness I unchecked adapt to lighting and throttled the brightness completely but I found it a bit lacking but the ui oh man I just love it

Between off topic:
Iphone 5 64gb @56k is it a good deal as I have no idea for iphone's pricing

Yes definitely there will be further improvements via future firmware updates. :)

Also another thing to note is what you saw isn't what you'd get. The Xperia Z demo units all use a lower quality screen. The retail models have higher quality screens although viewing angles are still not great even in retail models.

The retail Z is as bright as my S, which is much brighter than SIII

And yes 56k for 64GB IP5 is decent but I think you get it down to 54k. MRP is 59990 I believe

coolnikk

Journeyman
Any idea where I can get for 54 locally pls not online in mumbai so the display stuff is inferior and I was specifically asking for cam performance improvement and wat is the word on that sony flagship model u mentioned earlier in the thread

OP
randomuser111

randomuser111

Technomancer
Any idea where I can get for 54 locally pls not online in mumbai so the display stuff is inferior and I was specifically asking for cam performance improvement and wat is the word on that sony flagship model u mentioned earlier in the thread

That will come in October. In July C670X would come, which is basically a smaller Z with S600

Yes for the camera I already mentioned there will be future updates. Already the cam is on par with Iphone 5 (in Auto mode) and better in Manual mode.

And sorry no idea where you can get Iphone locally in Mumbai. Try local shops in your area, the smaller ones.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!

If you get a chance to demo Xperia Z camera again, please take photos at 8 MP or lower. Possible 6.5 MP Widescreen, and then compare the quality to other phones. I have read a few times that to take good pics from a phone camera, don't set it to the highest megapixel count. Come down a notch or two...

coolnikk

Journeyman
I think so the reason for that is when u notch down a few pixels like from 13 to 8 there is less load on the processor or sensor and thus gives better picture its the same as notching down the resolution while playing games which in turn gives more fps since there are less pixles to process isn't it

red dragon

Master troll
^

Anyway this is from GSMArena

Never thought I'd be so happy with my decision to exchange my S III with Xperia Z. The design is awesome, the battery life too. If only it could take as awesome panorama shots as the iPhone 4S/5, the camera would have been perfect. But nothing is that perfect, right?

We'll do a lot more camera tests for our review, don't worry

Kyle..."[/I]

You read that, camera is better than GS3/Iphone 5 and yet some people have to make ridiculous statements which only shows how deluded they are.

What else you expect from a tiny sensor? To beat a DSLR ??????? Christ !!!

Where exactly did he mention the camera is better than iPhone 5?
Moreover the camera sw is sluggish compared to other flagships.
Another strange thing I have noticed with my brief time with the phone is its inability to focus on small objects(it takes at least 5 sec more than 4s)and details are not so great for macros.

Last edited: