Votes: 54 83.1%
  • Samsung Galaxy 3

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gollum

Collector
Lets wait til l someone actually buys 01. We can't really judge 01 on the basis of reviews. And no 450 is not included on this discussion.
G3 users can you post a macro photo taken by the phone, preferably of small text on a text book or news paper.

JCAssassin

Broken In
@niraj87

Honestly, I had wanted to get G3. But it was jus inferior to O1. Btw the images on G3 look quite blurry... Not quite to my liking. O1 definitely trumps G3 in dispkay.
Also, O1 is actually a more popular choice. I checked with a few mobile shops.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
looking like a football game than discussion :grin:

ok 1 question just came to my mind, how many of you guys own a PC? cause i'll prefer gaming on a PC any day over a mobile, even if its a PSP phone. and most will. only those that doesn't own a PC (midrange or have no graphics card or poor IGP) or busy outside whole day & night should consider gaming on a mobile.

points that needs to be discussed here:

1. display: display of webpages on G3 vs O1. cause if webpages looks better, videos, pics & all will look better too.
2. multitasking: which can do better multitasking. i think O1 will win here easily.
3. battery life: nothing to say about it. you guys already know familiar with battery life of smartphones.
4. service: both same. famous consumer brand of India. so finding service center should have no problem.
5. build quality: able survive in a geek's hand to tell the story.
6. updates: G3 will get Froyo sooner or later. maybe 3.0 or whatever comes after 2.3 for midgrange mobiles. will O1 get it?
7. price: had O1 price same as G3, O1 will be far better choice, but is it so? :smile:
8. brand: both on par with each other when it comes to consumer electronics, not on mobiles. Samsung far ahead of LG. LG making a small comeback, Samsung trying to grab more market share & trying for no.3 position.

i think these are the points to be discussed here, rather than who plays games better, who have better graphics (mobile graphics card anyone?), which looks better, blah blah blah. for 1sec i was forced to think if i was in a mobile phone thread or PSP vs DS thread. and please, remember you going use this mobile for a yr or more, not for a week or less as reviewers do. never accept everything told in a review whole heartedly. personal use & preference is an important thing. hope my post helps.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Color depth matters in images having various color shades, contrasts and saturation levels. For example, a pic of Sunset. You may not be able to tell much difference on the tiny phone screen, but on monitors, one can make out the faded color tones. The video quality will also suffer for the same reason. Since Human eye is capable of distinguishing at least 10m colors, 256k colors just won't cut it.
Lol, exactly my point :)..Still, you'd find a majority of guys buying the cheaper TN panels when hunting for monitors. (which, from what I remember supports only 18-bit color, ie 262 K colors with dithering to 24-bits.)

It(16-million color support) would have been an advantage, if both the devices were of the same resolution. What I'm saying is that, you (at least me and I'm sure may others) will be able to see a difference in screen resolution, but would struggle to differentiate based on the number of colors, the screen can display.

(One important thing to consider though is that, it is possible that Gal 3 has a much better screen even excluding the color support, in which case you will definitely be able to tell a difference. I have seen Galaxy 3, though, and its low-res screen was obvious. I don't know how O1 would perform in that aspect.)..

@Gollum,
Agreed. We have been speculating based on the specs and the reviews. It remains to be seen how well it'll actually perform. Hoping one of you gets the phone soon ;).

@Sam.Shab,
I can tell you that resolution makes a huge difference when browsing, but the same does not necessarily hold true for videos and pictures. (For eg. iPod Touch 4 Gen has higher resolution, but video watching on Galaxy S is much better. Though, with iPhone 4 , which has almost 4 times the contrast ratio of the cheaper iPod Touch, it may be closer.)

Also regarding the graphics card, it'll become a factor (well apart from Gaming and running the 3-d Gallery etc.), only when Android (hopefully Gingerbread) includes support for H/W acceleration ala Windows Phone 7 or iPhone...(In video comparisons, you can see that these phones handle scrolling in a much smoother way, plus zooming in and out in webpages feels smoother in iPhone)..

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
Quoting so many statements is time consuming. Let me quote the most imp ones.

@Aditya
As has been concluded numerous times, the only OBJECTIVE advantage of O1 at this point is FroYO.

That means u dont consider better resolution, RAM and GPU, live wallpapers over the G3, thats exactly my point. Abt the icons vs games statement, forget games if u dont prefer this facility, but what abt the low resolution that makes it an issue to read pdf/doc/xls (very imp for me) and even webpages. Also, which is better? low-res (that easily catches the eye) or 256K colors which are very satisfying?

Abt the GT540 with a resistive (which is said to the best resistive n as good as an average capactive), we enjoy sketching/painting n handwriting recognition better, along with 3D gaming, n good enough multimedia capabilities. In reality, it compares with the G3, let alone the O1, which is far better.

@Gollum
Samsung galaxy 3 plays 720x480 video out of the box whereas lg optimus one can only play maximum 420x260 which is even lower than psp resolution. whats the point of having a big screen if it can't even play video of the same resolution lol.

WTH?? LG Optimus plays 640x360 smoothly. I play 500mb videos with 640x360 which play smoothly. I can only comment if it plays 720x480 or not after converting a video to that resolution n playing (will try soon). Read it on this page for ur confirmation :

LG Optimus GT540 Review - Camera and Multimedia - Phone Arena

At the above link, its mentioned that xVid (640x360) plays flawlessly and Mp4 doesnt play, but I play Mp4 on the phone without any issue.

And the reason y I give links to GT540 benchmarks or specifications is that the O1 hasnt been reviewed completely yet by trusted sites like phonearena, gsmarena, and the GT540 is the blueprint of the O1, where O1 is an enhancement over the GT540 w.r.t OS version, amt of RAM and type of screen to be Capacitive now.

@Sam
6. updates: G3 will get Froyo sooner or later. maybe 3.0 or whatever comes after 2.3 for midgrange mobiles. will O1 get it?
7. price: had O1 price same as G3, O1 will be far better choice, but is it so?
8. brand: both on par with each other when it comes to consumer electronics, not on mobiles. Samsung far ahead of LG. LG making a small comeback, Samsung trying to grab more market share & trying for no.3 position.

Who told u the G3 will get any upgrade beyond 2.2 (any links or just an assumption)? On the other hand, if O1 is launched with 2.2, it can be said that it will recieve an upgrade to atleast 2.3

Abt the price, its just a thousand bucks which the O1 demands, n LG offers u a much superior device for those extra bucks.

Abt the brand, plz gimme some links that state the ranks of Samsung and LG. If u prove it, noone can have probs in accepting it, coz noone here is biased against Samsung.

Last edited:

tejaslok

Journeyman
all i can say is wait for some ppl to buy O1 and share their reviews here, i will go for it after im fully satisfied with the hands on review frm here not frm site !

if possible reset the poll not now in abt a week!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@Sam.Shab,
I can tell you that resolution makes a huge difference when browsing, but the same does not necessarily hold true for videos and pictures. (For eg. iPod Touch 4 Gen has higher resolution, but video watching on Galaxy S is much better. Though, with iPhone 4 , which has almost 4 times the contrast ratio of the cheaper iPod Touch, it may be closer.)

well GS is out question here definitely but on 2 handset with close price range, samsung takes the lead i feel.though lower resolution can play higher resolution videos & LG is totally opposite.

Also regarding the graphics card, it'll become a factor (well apart from Gaming and running the 3-d Gallery etc.), only when Android (hopefully Gingerbread) includes support for H/W acceleration ala Windows Phone 7 or iPhone...(In video comparisons, you can see that these phones handle scrolling in a much smoother way, plus zooming in and out in webpages feels smoother in iPhone)..

than Lg will take the load from samsung but maybe, by than we may have G4 or G2 (as G5 is inferior to G3, so next should be G2) vs LG O2.

@Sam
Who told u the G3 will get any upgrade beyond 2.2 (any links or just an assumption)? On the other hand, if O1 is launched with 2.2, it can be said that it will recieve an upgrade to atleast 2.3

yah, that carries more sense. most probably G3 will have Froyo at max. & for 2.3 or what comes next, Samsung may have some other handset replace G3 (hope i am wrong here).

Abt the price, its just a thousand bucks which the O1 demands, n LG offers u a much superior device for those extra bucks.

LG O1 yet to appear in stores. most online portal have that "Coming Soon" banner installed infront of LG O1. so lets see at what price O1 debuts, more importantly at what extra premium over G3, O1 debuts. & if G3 will have a price cut soon. cause a 2k difference in price, matters.

Abt the brand, plz gimme some links that state the ranks of Samsung and LG. If u prove it, noone can have probs in accepting it, coz noone here is biased against Samsung.

Samsung becomes Worlds No 4 Smartphone Maker

many other sites too confirmed it.

so as No.4 is Samsung & no.5 HTC, LG will be no.6 or maybe lower. i not saying LG is a bad brand, but they suffered losses in their mobile section recently & making a small comeback, much like Motorola did a yr ago. hope fully, O1 should change the game. cause competition keeps the game going :smile:

JCAssassin

Broken In
After talking to some of the staff at the nearby mobile shop, i understand that optimus one is 'hot property', unlike galaxy three where the sales are on a decline. However, i realized
That LG has been puting in a lot of effort marketing optimus one. I dont see sumsung doing much. Perhaps marketing should be taken into consideration.

Also, everyone must know that optimus costs more than galaxy three. It is not really fair to compare their features then. Therefore, galaxy three should not be penalised too much if it lacks certain features. (the extra bucks should mean better feautures, shouldnt they?

Lastly, the galaxy three is an older model compared to optimus, which was released in november. I dont think there was froyo when galaxy three was released.

My point is that optimus one is definitely better. Its a newer model with new features. I'd made the mistake of thinking that one brand is definitely superior to the other. But if you dont mind an older phone and you still belive that samsung phones are owns, get the galaxy three. Simple.

Btw i'm very sorry if i've gotten anything wrong. I am still at junior level thanks :)

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
@Aditya
My point is, LG MOBILE brand has yet to find acceptance here. On any given day in a mobile shop you will find tons more inquiries for Nokia, SE, Samsung..even Motorola than LG. Ask around your local shop to confirm this.

To answer this, I've copy-pasted my own statement few pages back of the thread, as follows :

When I was buying my phone a month ago, every famous store told me they dont have LG, including Alfa and Heera Panna (Mumbai). The truth, as told to me by another young shopkeeper near Alfa, is that the stores have had a big issue with LG supplies. The stores had complained abt some of LG's logistic issues, n since then LG stopped distributing to those (famous) retail stores. Every store asked me why do I NEED LG, usme aisi kya baat hain, uska music itna accha nahi hain etc. If u want to confirm this, u can try to catch someone who cud have a good amt of internal knowledge abt the LG distribution issue.

Most of the retailers in the country dont know much abt either the technical specifications, quality of products or the brand. I knew far more abt the phones than the ppl at every shop I visited, including the "Mobilestore" outlet. User reviews n expert in-depth reviews like phonearena, gsmarena are the ones that should be followed before buying a product.

Abt the ranking of Samsung being higher than that of LG, these sales are dependant upon the %age of market share captured by a brand. Did u observe how many Android phones have Samsung launched as compared to LG, which increased their global sales far more than LG? If we consider India, does that mean Nokia's products are better than that of LG, since Nokia sells the most handsets in India i.e. the sales determine the ranks, but cannot be used to judge the quality or the Value For Money factor.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The truth, as told to me by another young shopkeeper near Alfa, is that the stores have had a big issue with LG supplies. The stores had complained abt some of LG's logistic issues, n since then LG stopped distributing to those (famous) retail stores. Every store asked me why do I NEED LG, usme aisi kya baat hain, uska music itna accha nahi hain etc. If u want to confirm this, u can try to catch someone who cud have a good amt of internal knowledge abt the LG distribution issue.

they talking about the handsets that came before or along with LG Cookie, Arena. not the 10k ones. but the budget minded handsets. they used to be far inferior to likes of Nokia & SE.

Most of the retailers in the country dont know much abt either the technical specifications, quality of products or the brand. I knew far more abt the phones than the ppl at every shop I visited, including the "Mobilestore" outlet. User reviews n expert in-depth reviews like phonearena, gsmarena are the ones that should be followed before buying a product.

they mostly look for user satisfaction & demand. and yes, complains about defects.

if following GSM arena, follow the comment section closely rather than the specifications. cause many times i seen comments about hand-on experience about a good mobile or VFM mobile where they highlighted new problems.

Abt the ranking of Samsung being higher than that of LG, these sales are dependant upon the %age of market share captured by a brand. Did u observe how many Android phones have Samsung launched as compared to LG, which increased their global sales far more than LG? If we consider India, does that mean Nokia's products are better than that of LG, since Nokia sells the most handsets in India i.e. the sales determine the ranks, but cannot be used to judge the quality or the Value For Money factor.

i clearly mentioned it that LG is making a small comeback & their first step is on money. crossing 1M mark in 40days is no joke & Samsung have to stop & think before launching a new mobile. but its the first "good" handset from LG in quite sometime. so lets wait for sometime & have someone experience it themselves. cause G3 has been review here many many times. many members own it.

so what we having here is: reviews (LG O1) vs hand-on experience (Samsung G3). at least wait for LG O1 to show up in stores (at least know the selling price of this mobile) & if possible someone use it personally before we start finding its pros & cons.

Gollum

Collector
@niraj
as i've said before, gt540 is not p500. Both do not have the same hardware. Sure your phone may be able to play 640x360 but no one here is buying gt540. P500 is the new version but that does not make it automatically better in all aspects.
Any way before buying i will take my set of test videos and see if the phone can really play them
ps: even my 5233 plays 640x360 video but that is only mpeg4 and not x264 like the specs posted on gsmarena.

Which states that my phone plays x264 but sadly it does not. And its not just a resolution issue, the phone does not play any x264 video. I don't want to buy an expensive phone just to later instal l third party apps to make it perform the functions that another cheaper phone could do out of the box.

Which states that my phone plays x264 but sadly it does not. And its not just a resolution issue, the phone does not play any x264 video. I don't want to buy an expensive phone just to later instal l third party apps to make it perform the functions that another cheaper phone could do out of the box.

Last edited:

Hrithan2020

In the zone
well GS is out question here definitely but on 2 handset with close price range, samsung takes the lead i feel.though lower resolution can play higher resolution videos & LG is totally opposite.

I was just giving an example.(Specifically w.r.t your notion that if a device looks better in browsing, then video and picture quality would be better in that device.)

There is ABSOLUTELY no difference(in video quality, other than possible degradation due to downscaling) if you play a higher resolution file in your device. So, Gal 3's screen doesn't automatically become better. But, yeah, it'll be more convenient, if most of your videos are SD or below.

than Lg will take the load from samsung but maybe, by than we may have G4 or G2 (as G5 is inferior to G3, so next should be G2) vs LG O2.

It seems unlikely to me that either devices will get Gingerbread. (Even if they do, the H/W acceleration, has to be done by the manufacturer. Google will provide an OS, which can make use of that, AFAIK..Let's wait and see )

Lastly, the galaxy three is an older model compared to optimus, which was released in november. I dont think there was froyo when galaxy three was released.

There was. AFAIK, Froyo was released in May. G3 was released in June. However, you'd hardly expect Samsung (of all brands) to release the latest version of Android so soon!! ;) (I'm guessing next quarter, for Froyo on G3).

Aditya11

Journeyman
After talking to some of the staff at the nearby mobile shop, i understand that optimus one is 'hot property', unlike galaxy three where the sales are on a decline.

Is it available in retail already? many guys here are still waiting..what's the quote price for this "hot property" anyways?

However, i realized
That LG has been puting in a lot of effort marketing optimus one. I dont see sumsung doing much. Perhaps marketing should be taken into consideration.

Wrong. Galaxy 3 (and 5) are getting TV ads quite frequently. Can't say the same about O1..yet.

Also, G3 will receive FroYo update AFTER Galaxy S. And, given the hardware specification, I doubt it will ever be updated beyond 2.2..

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!
I dont think the max resolution of O1 for video playback is 420x260...
O1 records videos in VGA resolution, so this means it can play atleast VGA res...

And about G3 vs O1, we really need someone to review O1.
My local mobile retailer said that O1 will be available after 28th of this month. :-(

JCAssassin

Broken In
@Aditya11

Well sorry guys I'm actually in Singapore yea. So the situation in India may be different. What I'm interested now is actually the colours that optimus one offers.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
The Optuimus One is hardly a match for the Galaxy 3. It should be compared to the X8 which IMO is a much better mobile in comparison to the two. And now tat the X10 has been jailbroken, the ones who need froyo can port them onto the X8, no biggie.

niraj87

Broken In
Guys, someone tell me whats the max Video resolution that a G3 can smoothly play? Abt the audio quality, can someone upload a youtube video of a couple of songs playing on the speaker (preferably rock/metal or some mp3 that i'll upload)? And how pixelated does the text look on zooming 3 times while reading a pdf?

Gollum

Collector
Text which is not zoomed in will look pixellated but one you zoom in every thing becomes sharp. And the text under the icons is not as pixellated as you think. They are easily readable.
You won't be able to make out the sound quality from a video since a mic will not pickup the sound like our ear does. For sound quality you will have to see a live set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom