Rumour: AMD ready to unleash Centurion FX at 5GHZ

heidi2521

Padawan
Rumour: AMD to unleash the Centurion - FX at 5GHz - CPU - News - HEXUS.net

This so-called Centurion is guaranteed to run at 5GHz, on air, though we don't know exactly what voltage or supporting hardware will be required for this lofty speed.

Here's the kicker; our sources indicate that this limited-edition chip is set to cost a whopping $795 - this is not a typo! Yup, back to the pricing of FX chips of old. Is there any way that you, the readers, can countenance such pricing for an architecture that's been in the doldrums of late? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Last edited:

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
GHZ wars ended way back in 2009 .. AMD forget that I guess !! LOL :lol:

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot
Instead of going for higher speed mark AMD should concentrate on Core-Core performance and TDP of its processors.
What's the use when a 5GHz AMD is beaten by a 3.5GHz Intel?

bubusam13

Human
GHz war never ended at all. Else why would we overclock. Further before Intel was much crazy about GHz's not AMD. Who knows number of cores with good amount of cache memory together with higher clock speed may give them a leap against Intel.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Only time will tell whether this CPU is actually worth 795$ or is just a higher clocked 8350 and some tweaks.

bubusam13

Human
Instead of going for higher speed mark AMD should concentrate on Core-Core performance and TDP of its processors.
What's the use when a 5GHz AMD is beaten by a 3.5GHz Intel?

How can you claim beaten my 3.5 GHz Intel when AMD's is not released yet ?

Hrishi

5GHz at stock is good. Gives good room for overclocking. But when released at that price point , its a fail . But since its a limited edt. so obviously meant for AMD fanboys,

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
5GHz at stock is good. Gives good room for overclocking. But when released at that price point , its a fail . But since its a limited edt. so obviously meant for AMD fanboys,

At these speeds, there is every chance that the "stock" itself is overclocked, jut to make the number look impressive. Which means very bad overclockability.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Only time will tell whether this CPU is actually worth 795$ or is just a higher clocked 8350 and some tweaks.

you can grab a Core i7 (LGA2011) proccy for 20k and add a 5k cooler and overclock it to match performance of 40-45k i7s. It is all about being a premium proccy. You get 10% more performance for double the cost.

And Ghz war is still on. There are still many who will drool over an octa core proccy without checking performance chart.

At these speeds, there is every chance that the "stock" itself is overclocked, jut to make the number look impressive. Which means very bad overclockability.

these are using binned chips. Of course you can overclock it further ( 8Ghz maybe) provided you have a spare tank of LN2 and not worried about processor drawing 200W+ power for itself.

Anyone know TDP of this proccy? My guess is they'll stick to the 140W limit.

kartikoli

Busy!!
good to see AMD trying something in there processor section but for this price its like no development as normal members wont get a chance to use it anyways due to such a premium price

nikufellow

In the zone
its just a limited edition aimed @ amd enthusiasists - the motives behind such a high price tag will be known only after official launch ! Btw amd themselves have said that they are not in the ' fastest proccy race ' anyway i wish they concentrate mor on their proccy architecture.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
GHz war never ended at all. Else why would we overclock. Further before Intel was much crazy about GHz's not AMD. Who knows number of cores with good amount of cache memory together with higher clock speed may give them a leap against Intel.
+1 for that.
I am not ensuing an AMD<--->Intel war,but let's wait for HSA architecture + processing by AMD...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
talking about 5Ghz stock speed and Air cooling .. I'm sure AMD is going to introduce a new air cooler .. I'm much interested to see that ;-)

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
it doesnt matter what ghz your processor is running on, what matters is how it is designed. the better the surface area available for heat conduction, the better is the cooling. Also using smaller semiconductors, you can squeeze in a large amount of them on a single die yet at the same time increase their surface area which allows for better heat conduction.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
it doesnt matter what ghz your processor is running on, what matters is how it is designed. the better the surface area available for heat conduction, the better is the cooling. Also using smaller semiconductors, you can squeeze in a large amount of them on a single die yet at the same time increase their surface area which allows for better heat conduction.

Considering the price point and rumoured specs, that won't matter. This is clearly not targeted at people who would consider the actual performance of the Processor before buying it.

Top Bottom