Religion, do we really need it ?

Religion, do we really need it ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Religion, you are familiar with it. You may call yourself Hindu, Muslim, Christian..etc..etc. But do we really need religion ? Is one's conscience not enough ? Is the simple belief "God is real " not enough that you need to go further and say that I'm "XYZ " religious ? I feel that Religion has created nothing but communal hate. What do you think ?

PS: This is not a thread to determine which is the best religion,but just to question its existence.

clmlbx

Technomancer
this is the topic I will really join in for discussion,

I always say to my family and friends I believe in God but not in religion.

God is one and to pray-talk to him you don't need to go some where, just speak truly and he/she will listen

doomgiver

Warframe
so, what you have is an invisible friend, right?
please take a seat over there, dr. freud will take up your case on sunday.

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^so what do you have? statues made of stone, a similar walls like your home where you go to worship, what do you have there?

do you really think that statues are actual god? or house where you go for worship god is there and no where els?

Edit : No offense at all, just going for healthy discussion

God is one and to pray-talk to him you don't need to go some where, just speak truly and he/she will listen

Same here.

Religion is necessary as much as it is redundant

To learn morals and ethical values? To preserve God ?
Elaborate please.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Religion was never made to discriminate people, but now it is used for same. If abolishment of religion is so necessary for sake of mankind, I'm in, otherwise let it be there.

But I feel, caste is to blamed more than religion. People were never treated either superior or inferior on basis of religion, its caste which made it like that.

techbulb

eUREKA...
Every body is not very imaginative religion is a way to give a shape to god be it lord ram,jesus or anybody else ,people believe wat they see ,a statue gives them the feeling that there is a god up there and he will help him in hard times in earlier times communication was very very less so different groups of people in different places created different gods and they are still here

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^so what do you have? statues made of stone, a similar walls like your home where you go to worship, what do you have there?

do you really think that statues are actual god? or house where you go for worship god is there and no where els?

Edit : No offense at all, just going for healthy discussion

Humans, need tangibility. And Puranic Hinduism reveled in this. That is why we have tokens/relieves for religion. Even monotheistic religions like Christianity and Buddhism, where the former is virile about idol-worship -has- basque and murals which depict what a "god" could be. Or there would be symbolism like the moon and color green for Islam.

Sarath

iDota
A world without religion right now would be catastrophic.

We will have to wait till human beings evolve into much smarter beings to completely remove dependence on religion. I would say another couple of centuries and a few decades in more scientific communities.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing wrong in being religious and practicing your religion.

But there are 4 steps which can transform one into an idiot.

* Conservatism
* Extremism
* Radicalism
* Terrorism

At first, you'll start off being conservative in your beliefs and become sort of narrow minded. You'll dislike other people not from your community or not following your faith or trying to do something progressive or whatever.

Then you'll become an extremist having very very harsh views and trying to force your opinion on others.

Then a radical with demands. And in the end, a terrorist.

This thing is applicable to each and every damned human on this Earth. Worst thing is, humans are actually fighting against terrorism. What we should be fighting against is - conservatism. That's the root. Cutting branches won't do anything.

Conservative politicians embedded in the system with a "vote mobilisation" agenda? That's even worse.

I'll also like to add one more thing - if one is of the opinion that "religion sucks" or "religion should be abolished" or "all worship places to be destoryed" etc. - then he also falls in category 2.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Faith, it is fine. Religion? It's a bunch of propaganda set up by certain people in order to push their beliefs and fortify their power and influence in the society.

A world without religion right now would be catastrophic.

We will have to wait till human beings evolve into much smarter beings to completely remove dependence on religion. I would say another couple of centuries and a few decades in more scientific communities.

Chinese are as much irreligious as it can go. And tell you what there have been far less riots and idiotic wars in their history.

clmlbx

Technomancer
Humans, need tangibility. And Puranic Hinduism reveled in this. That is why we have tokens/relieves for religion. Even monotheistic religions like Christianity and Buddhism, where the former is virile about idol-worship -has- basque and murals which depict what a "god" could be. Or there would be symbolism like the moon and color green for Islam.

you answered the question, human mind needs tangibility, statues or house where you worship is nothing more then illusion of God to you, so you don't need to do anything special or be any where specific to remember God.. you can do it anywhere, only thing matters is you do truthfully..

Deep you go to any religion and compare you get same rituals,same concepts,culture, to me it is difficult to find much difference.

I'll also like to add one more thing - if one is of the opinion that "religion sucks" or "religion should be abolished" or "all worship places to be destoryed" etc. - then he also falls in category 2.

how is that ? many problem will be solved if religion is abolished(statement), I don't say "all worship places to be destroyed" but why consider that places any more important then any other building.

and how does that fall in category 2? I have that type of opinion and we don't force on it, on contrary religion is forced in our country,

Faith, it is fine. Religion? It's a bunch of propaganda set up by certain people in order to push their beliefs and fortify their power and influence in the society.

Chinese are as much irreligious as it can go. And tell you what there have been far less riots and idiotic wars in their history.

+1, I fully agree with you.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
how is that ? many problem will be solved if religion is abolished(statement), I don't say "all worship places to be destroyed" but why consider that places any more important then any other building.

and how does that fall in category 2? I have that type of opinion and we don't force on it, on contrary religion is forced in our country,
The bold part is the reason you don't fall in Category 2. :)

I'm obviously talking of the "Extremists" there. Extremists of all sort.

nims11

BIOS Terminator

I believe the same. I have my own principles which i consider valid. I don't want to be classified as a jain or hindu or anything else as religion has nowadays become a tool for classifying people.

Top Bottom