Reasons for a Mac user to make the switch to Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
aryayush said:
there are only two Mac users here compared to the tens of Linux enthusiasts).

Mmm.. 4 users: Satissh owns a Mac Mini.

Milind(goobimama) is the rich guy with an iMac and an iBook :p

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Reasone for a Mac user to make the switch to Linux.

Who is this Satissh? What is his username?
And I forgot goobimama when posting the thread. I know only three of us. I think kumarmohit might also be a Mac user.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

aryayush said:
Yeah, thanks again! :p

So, what's with all the Linux hyper-enthusiasts out there? Why are you guys missing out on the fun? mail2and, is there some Linux distro you prefer over Mac OS X? Is Slackware better, in your opinion? If yes, then can you please tell us the reasons?

Slackware is best for machines with less processing power. It's so configurable that you'd get lots of options at the installation stage itself.

You can use distros based on Slack. They're a bit simpler and smaller(fit in 1 CD).

Zenwalk is a nice distro based on Slack.

SLAX is the best live cd. ever.

However, I'd not advise using Linux instead of OS X because both feel similar! You can run most of the Linux programs on Mac using Fink.

As you rightly said, the main argument of cost is not valid in your case, as you've already bought a MacBook and paid for Tiger.

The 'better for server' argument doesn't hold water either, as OS X has its own server version, too.

goobimama

 Macboy

another one of them Mac vs windows vs linux discussions eh? (even though arya did mention that it wasn't...). Waiting for gx to show up...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

Yes, it does but most people agree that Linux servers are better than XServes, thought I don't really agree. But anyway, the topic has no relation to this thread.
So, basically you agree that there is little to no reason for a Mac user to install Linux on their machines (unless it's for experimentation purposes). Mac offers all that Linux has in store and then some. Mac rules! :p ::self satisfied smug:: :p

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

aryayush said:
Yes, it does but most people agree that Linux servers are better than XServes

You can run OS X Server on any Mac, and not just XServes.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

@aryayush Satissh's username is Satissh S. And he extensively uses Mac and Linux.
And as for slackware it's really great for P II's and P III's, just see the server on which slackware's site is hosted, but that doesn't mean that it's not so great for today's PC's. It is just great no frills and highly configurable OS. But, it can be a bit intimidating for newbies. But, if you can learn slackware then you can learn linux really nicely.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Re: Reasone for a Mac user to make the switch to Windows.

blackpearl said:
Mac, Linux and Windows are like cars.

The Windows Car cost a lot but easy to learn. Accessories also cost money and the car may occassionaly give trouble, but with it you can drive over 90% of the roads.

The Linux Car is Free and comes with a 10,000 page manual on "How to drive", without which you won't be able to steer even the driving wheel. With approximately 5 yrs of practice you can become a good driver and throw the manual out of the window. The Linux Car however runs in only 9% of the roads.

The Mac Car is the costliest, and easiest to drive too. Owing this car and buying accessories can lead you to bankruptcy. This car is the sleekest of all the 3, but it runs in less than 1% of the roads.

MORAL: If you like travelling, get Windows.

@Blackpearl, What you said about Linux is totally wrong!! There are more users
in this forum itself who are using Linux for past 5 or 6 months & they are very
comfortable with it.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Re: Reasone for a Mac user to make the switch to Windows.

JGuru said:
@Blackpearl, What you said about Linux is totally wrong!! There are more users
in this forum itself who are using Linux for past 5 or 6 months & they are very
comfortable with it.
I agree with JGURU.

mediator

Technomancer

aryayush said:
So, what's with all the Linux hyper-enthusiasts out there?
Bro I told u there aren't many Linux users here who might have tried Mac. Andy says there are 4. SO, it wont be much of a interest if only 4 people are to be writing their experiences! U shud replace the "linux" in ur thread title to "Linux or Windows". It wud be fun if gx and others show up here. Believe me! They might say something of interest. For the time being since I dunno nething about MAC, I guess I'll be acting as an observer here tooo! :)

@Phenom : If I remember correctly, isn't ur uptime (experience) on Linux around 1-2 months ??

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

mail2and said:
You can run OS X Server on any Mac, and not just XServes.
Yeah, I know that. Apache comes pre-installed on every Mac. But it is a general opinion that Linux is better suited for servers than Macs are.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

aryayush said:
Yeah, I know that. Apache comes pre-installed on every Mac. But it is a general opinion that Linux is better suited for servers than Macs are.
Yeah. Cost plays a big factor in this. You'd not buy a Mac to run it as a server! That'll be a bit expensive to the hosting company.

goobimama

 Macboy

I've had my Mac running 1.5 months straight, without a restart (even avoided an update which would require restart).

But the the power went out (some problem with the inverter) and I had to shut it down. And during this entire 1.5 months, it didn't slow down even once. It was as if it was just started. That's one of the main things I like about the mac os.

Now I haven't used linux thaat much, but from what I've experienced, one has to run around looking for drivers for new hardware, have to run photoshop through WINE, and one's gotta learn some command line stuff. One things for sure though, if it wasn't for my family, the PC in the house would have had linux on it. They are a bit static when it comes to computer tech.

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist

goobimama said:
I've had my Mac running 1.5 months straight, without a restart (even avoided an update which would require restart).

But the the power went out (some problem with the inverter) and I had to shut it down. And during this entire 1.5 months, it didn't slow down even once. It was as if it was just started. That's one of the main things I like about the mac os.
Oh WOW! That just superb. Another testimony to the stability and speed of a Macintosh. My MacBook Pro generally has uptimes of 2-3 days before I have to shut it down for some reason or the other (load shedding, nothing to do, etc.). It never slows dows, that's for sure. :)

mehulved

I had a uptime for 7 months on linux before rebooting to install a second distro.
Well with linux either stability has never been a problem. And I have achieved that uptime with windows too. I guess any modern day OS can run continuously for 2-3 months without needing to be switched off.

mediator

Technomancer

goobimana said:
Why does it need a restart like Windows after an update? No restart in Linux after an update !! And 1.5 months is less I guess. Many linux PC's have an uptime of more than 3 months ! Forget about servers. And the performance doesn't degrades !!!!

goobimana said:
one has to run around looking for drivers for new hardware
Not always! Not with the new distros today! The case is same even with windows that incompatabilites arises when hardware is latest. But resolved only after some updates!! Does Mac support different hardwares??

goobimana said:
have to run photoshop through WINE
Yea, Adobe is unparalleled, no doubt!! But GIMP is really good, almost as good !! Check it out!

goobimana said:
and one's gotta learn some command line stuff
Not anymore!! Neways commandline is a priviledge bro! It makes task much easier in some cases! Why do people always relate it do geek stuff?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

mediator said:
Why does it need a restart like Windows after an update?

It's a consumer OS, primarily. Their main focus is on stability rather than fancy uptimes. That is why, quite a lot of OS X updates that update the kernel require a restart. Updates to simple applications do not require a restart.

I don't think re-starting after updates is a big issue.

mehulved

It's ok if the restart is for a kernel. Even linux requires that. AFAIK all OS'es require that.

mediator

Technomancer

@Andy : If restart is restricted to kernel, then its fine! But believe me restarting all the time after normal updates other than kernel is a heck and very annoying as in windows!!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.

mediator said:
@Andy : If restart is restricted to kernel, then its fine! But believe me restarting all the time after normal updates other than kernel is a heck and very annoying as in windows!!

Yeah, as an example, I just updated XII. It did not ask for a restart. Similarly, updates to iTunes(unlike WMP), Safari(unlike IE) and iLife apps do not require a restart. However, Quicktime does require a restart when updated. It's the only system software that require a restart.

It's just the 10.4.x updates that require a re-start(Released once in 2 months, on an average).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom