Problem Installing FC7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Getting cheap Silan Ethernet card working on Ubuntu 7

I tried installing FC7 from the Digit DVD (July 2007)
Everything was running fine n then after the 'starting anaconda' n X-Server came up.........I got these Errors..

I m bad at Linux..So just manually copied the Errors

File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 832, in <module> if xserver_pid is not None and bad EDID(xserver.logfile);
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 457,in bad EDID f=open(logfile,"r");

IO ERROR:[Error 2] No such file or directory:'/tmp/ranfs/X.log'

I have FC6 bible so thought of installing FC7...SO tht i can use the book fr reference...Else I would hv tried another distro from some other Digit DVD I have.

Initially Started off wth fedora..finally switched to ubuntu! So the thread has nothing much to do wth FEDORA!

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
hardware specifications please?
And try installing in text mode. I believe that should work.

Code:
 # If we got bad EDID information from the X server, that means X was
        # unable to probe the monitor correctly.  This can happen with lots of
        # crappy KVMs.  For now, switch to text mode and display an error message
        # so the user knows to run s-c-display after installation.
        if xserver_pid is not None and badEDID(xserver.logfile):
            os.kill(xserver_pid, signal.SIGTERM)
            got_bad_edid = True
            opts.display_mode = 't'
That's from *smemirror.fullnet.co.uk/releases/testing/8/smeos/i386/updates/anaconda

Last edited:
OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Thnk u mehulved n gary4gar.. the cd gave checksum error in media test..
I have installed ubuntu from june 2007 digit dvd..So dont care now..

The thread may go off topic...but i need to setup my bsnl dataone conn on it

I asked kalpik on im n he asked me if my ethernet card was being detected
so i issued the lspci command n gt this

Ethernet Controller: Hangzhon Silan Microelectronics Co Ltd. Unknown Device 2031(rev 01)

So do i need to install drivers??? or it wll work??

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
wow!u got that card?is that intex/d-link make?it is tough in Linux unless ur kernel is configured with silan support. :)
I hope Ubuntu does!

praka123

left this forum longback
to connect ur dataone with this cheap intex lan card,you have to recompile the kernel with silan support.
...and in Ubuntu,creating linux-image.deb is not really tough;thx to make-kpkg.
if you are not ready to recompile the kernel from sources,you would like to ask your friendly mods kalpik,mehulved or someone here to compile a kernel with silan support and upload it somewhere for you to download and install. :)

Code:
CONFIG_SC92031:                                                                          │  
  │                                                                                          │  
  │ This is a driver for the Fast Ethernet PCI network cards based on                        │  
  │ the Silan SC92031 chip (sometimes also called Rsltek 8139D). If you                      │  
  │ have one of these, say Y here.                                                           │  
  │                                                                                          │  
  │ To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the module                            │  
  │ will be called sc92031.  This is recommended.                                            │  
  │ Symbol: SC92031 [=m]                                                                     │  
  │ Prompt: Silan SC92031 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver (EXPERIMENTAL)                    │  
  │   Defined at drivers/net/Kconfig:1696                                                    │  
  │   Depends on: NETDEVICES && NET_ETHERNET && NET_PCI && PCI && EXPERIMENTAL               │  
  │   Location:                                                                              │  
  │     -> Standard Options                                                                  │  
  │       -> Device Drivers                                                                  │  
  │         -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])                                      │  
  │           -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (NET_ETHERNET [=y])                                │  
  │   Selects: CRC32
^ this module!~

mehulved

Don't mind but how do you of all poeple manage to get all such weird stuff? I'd still like to be able to run linux on that PC of yours.

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
@mehulved
Are u talking of my config???????
I know its ages old n weird..but hv to do with it fr a month more and then after I give my engg exams...I m likely to get a new pc!!

Still...Till then help me out with this!

mehulved

Try this *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=356006
If it doesn't work then you will need the kernel source for what prakash suggested, some ubuntu user like kalpik can tell you which packages to get. Once you get that I can post the procedure on how to go about it.

[OT] What are you going to do with that old PC after buying a new one?[/OT]

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
So, @nitish:If you are having Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy,I will compile a kernel for your system :)
Do post your system in detail here(eg; processor,mobo,onboard gfx etc year u bought this system)

mehulved

nitish I didn't remember it so much. But I find that config really nice. If you're ever getting rid of it out do inform me.
nitish id you try that link of ubuntu forums that I gave?

OP
nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Are u serious mehulved???????
Ya i wll get rid of it..maybe in a month or two!!!!!!!!

Saw tht ubuntu forum link n downloaded the tar file....lets see if I can follow the instruction!

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Dude, Config's like yours are now equivalent to priceless antiques.
And you're gettin rid of it?

If you dont really care, then hold an auction on ebay or smthing,
I'm sure you'll get quite a few guys who are intrested.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Just that you cant get it anymore :p

Quite a few folks treasure old configs, stuff that cant be attained anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom