Preview and Feedback [March 2012]

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've bought my DVD drive from market to read and copy ( the whole contents on HDD back then ) Digit DVD and it was a white one - still going good and can read any Digit DVDs ;-)

have not got enough time to go through all the mag contents but there's no 60GB or 40GB SSD drives reviewed - it would be great if they can be added on any next issue.

On Spend Smart Section
there's no mention of FSP Saga II 400W PSu warranty - it's 2 years.
Corsair AX1200 has 7 years warranty - not 5 years.

BTW, nice to read the Beyond Gaming article - will try to post more feedback ;-)

Sarath

iDota
Did the cover page change or am I hallucinating? I remember the March issue having a cover about something related to online shopping. :?

:confused:

We also get feedback from Nepal, Pakistan, the Gulf, the East, Africa, Europe and even the US - despite the fact that the magazine doesn't officially go to any country outside of India. Some dealer somewhere is sending Digit abroad for fat profits, because some Indians want to stay connected to their motherland by regularly reading a few magazines...

I think the Magzter online Digit copy should be glorified in that case.

In gulf most of the magazines can be found at 50-110% their retail price and updated frequently.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ya! you should have been more precise when you say a DECADE old school. Perhaps that's want make the all difference. You never mentioned it in your previous comment. Christian Missionary Schools which are DECADE old are fine for your example. Generalizing it would not make a good example.

I AM generalising, not just talking about missionary schools. Overall, most schools have no trouble filling seats. What's a horrible school for you and your parents is a dream school for someone else who is in an even worse school... or cannot afford higher fees... and so on...

OH ! really !! that was too bad a marketing strategy!!
I never knew that, so basically you buy a Rs. 100 movie DVD and give it free with the cover price of the magazine as Rs 150 ??

u guys just made a Rs 20/- or 30/- profit margin on each mag... :shock:

so, u guys were so nice to do charity giving those movies, ya!! :)

I suppose clarity is needed here, as you seem to think that a Rs 150 mag - Rs 100 per DVD = Rs 20 to 30 profit for us – which would be excellent for us if it were true :)

Obviously movies didn't cost Rs. 100 per DVD, we did get bulk discounts... but yes we paid for them, on a per DVD basis. Don't remember now, but I think it was more like Rs 20 to 25 licencing fees + DVD replication costs... however don't hold me to that, I have a terrible memory :)

Also, you need to know how distribution works. If the cover price of a magazine is Rs 100, the margins for dispatch, distributors, dealers and news stand vendors/outlets comes to about 43% to 45% (Rs 43 to Rs 45 on a cover price of Rs 100). It's the middle men who earn (as with every other product that's sold). If they didn't earn that much, they wouldn't stock the product.

Courier prices of magazines (for subscribers/people who buy from thinkdigit.com directly) works out to a little less – between Rs 40 to Rs 100, depending on the weight and distance from the dispatch zone – our special issues are very expensive to send via courier. Another example: courier costs went up when we switched from 2 DVDs to 2 Fast Tracks temporarily – because of the weight increase.

Since couriers are slightly cheaper, we are able to pass those benefits on to subscribers/online buyers in the form of lowered prices / gifts.

Anyway, just a little more information for the curious / misinformed :)

pinku1993

Lagger ~ ..
^^ Same here (I am subscribed though).. But I have got used to this as my home lies in a rural area.. and magazine comes via IPS..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, you need to know how distribution works. If the cover price of a magazine is Rs 100, the margins for dispatch, distributors, dealers and news stand vendors/outlets comes to about 43% to 45% (Rs 43 to Rs 45 on a cover price of Rs 100). It's the middle men who earn (as with every other product that's sold). If they didn't earn that much, they wouldn't stock the product.

even though I buy the mag from a bookstore I always get it at 15% discount rate ;-)

jayantr7

In the zone
I agree with Raaabo! Have a look at some other Tech magazines like CHIP/PC Quest and you'd notics the difference. Even the DVDs they give is just loaded with software updates and nothing more. The price of the magazine justifies its contents.

• The pages in Fast Track tends to stick with each other. Please correct that issue.
  • A few links in the upper corner of the mag - mini-news column or whatever you call it, aren't working just like it was in the previous issue. Please have a look in the matter.

The cover story of this issue was nice, but what caught my attention were the articles on Immortality, Space and the 'Motion activated lights' DIY. It's good to see Digit also covering matters other than the usual Computer-Tab-Smartphone stuff... Keep up the good work...

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
2001 - 2012

Rs 100 = 160 page mag + CD
Then Rs 100 = 144 pg mag + 2 CDs
Rs 100 = Digit + FT + 2CDs
Rs 100 = Digit + FT + CD + DVD
Rs 125 = Digit + FT + DVD (inflation)
Rs 125 = Digit + FT + DL DVD
Rs 125 = Digit + FT + 2 x DL DVD
Rs 150 = Digit + FT + 2 x DL DVDs
Rs 150 = Digit + 2 x FT + DL DVD (lost vote in reader polls, reverted to previous configuration)

Options we've added for online purchases = mag only copy / single Fast Tracks (by reader demand)

Replicating a CD in 2001 and replicating 2 DVDs today would cost the same or there would be very less difference.

Can you provide a 160 page magazine and 1 DL DVD for Rs.100/- today?

Rs 100 = 160 page mag + CD
Then Rs 100 = 144 pg mag + 2 CDs (You reduced the number of pages and added a CD, so no big deal)
Rs 100 = Digit + FT + 2CDs (Better deal at the same price)
Rs 100 = Digit + FT + CD + DVD (Better deal at the same price)
Rs 125 = Digit + FT + DVD (inflation) (Understood)
Rs 125 = Digit + FT + DL DVD (Skipped the CD and moved to DL DVD)
Rs 125 = Digit + FT + 2 x DL DVD (You never gave two DL DVDs for Rs.125/- + FT. The moment you started giving 2 DL DVDs, the price was hiked)
Rs 150 = Digit + FT + 2 x DL DVDs (You gave an extra DVD and hiked the price)
Rs 150 = Digit + 2 x FT + DL DVD (lost vote in reader polls, reverted to previous configuration)

By the way, I pre-ordered the issue on 28th Feb but has not received it. My house is 3 kms from Digits office

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
got it today and the magazine was not in good shape, dont know if its digit error or of IPS.... the gaming fastrack is good but when i saw the security ft, it was more like a pamplate magazine... shorcuts table is really helpful, looked like you people enjoyed a lot of sea food in japan and some errors like repeating same thing again was there....

Tech&ME

Banned
I AM generalising, not just talking about missionary schools. Overall, most schools have no trouble filling seats. What's a horrible school for you and your parents is a dream school for someone else who is in an even worse school... or cannot afford higher fees... and so on...

I am not a school going kid, so don't pose me and my parents in between this discussion. School was never HORRIBLE for me or my parents.

You go change your job, become a Principal in a NEW SCHOOL with all modern facilities and all. RUN it for 1 year and you will get the inside story!!

It is easy to say all schools fills up the seats, practicality is far from your eyes.

You will never understand it, until you yourself face it.

You are in Digit from a long time, your mind is engraved with all things tech. There is a world outside to explore and to learn....... things are always not in the same way we except them to be always.

There are HARD truth for you to discover and see and learn.

I suppose clarity is needed here, as you seem to think that a Rs 150 mag - Rs 100 per DVD = Rs 20 to 30 profit for us – which would be excellent for us if it were true :)

Obviously movies didn't cost Rs. 100 per DVD, we did get bulk discounts... but yes we paid for them, on a per DVD basis. Don't remember now, but I think it was more like Rs 20 to 25 licencing fees + DVD replication costs... however don't hold me to that, I have a terrible memory :)

Courier prices of magazines (for subscribers/people who buy from thinkdigit.com directly) works out to a little less – between Rs 40 to Rs 100, depending on the weight and distance from the dispatch zone – our special issues are very expensive to send via courier. Another example: courier costs went up when we switched from 2 DVDs to 2 Fast Tracks temporarily – because of the weight increase.

Since couriers are slightly cheaper, we are able to pass those benefits on to subscribers/online buyers in the form of lowered prices / gifts.

Anyway, just a little more information for the curious / misinformed :)

You are yelling like you paid out the money from your OWN pocket to get us those movies for FREE..... how cheap this sounds..... isn't it ??

Don't make yourself sound like you did something extraordinary !!

And on top of it your CLARIFICATION above is just the FUN part.... as if we didn't knew what you guys had actually paid for the MOVIE.

End of the day the movie was actually SPONSORED at a lower price [ Rs 20 or Rs25 / DVD ] to you people, that was what my original comment was..... isn't it ??

So, why so YELLING about a simple matter ??

In my original comment I was just talking about how you people used to give Movie DVD with mag,,
Now how you people managed to give it was never my concern, then what on earth made you tell me that you guys did not procured it for FREE but PAID to get those for us.... does that make any sense at all ??

Did I asked you how you people managed to get those DVD for FREE ?? NEVER :)

All I was saying is you guys USED to give Movie DVD earlier,,, that's all !!

If at all possible give some FREEBIES like this or else don't... END OF THE STORY !!! :)

Last edited:

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
even though I buy the mag from a bookstore I always get it at 15% discount rate ;-)

Lucky you :)

The pages in Fast Track tends to stick with each other. Please correct that issue.

A few links in the upper corner of the mag - mini-news column or whatever you call it, aren't working just like it was in the previous issue. Please have a look in the matter.

Will look into this... the Fast Track might not be cut properly at times, and we'll try and minimise those errors. We call them "Snippets". Can you give me one example though, page number, or something... will look into it and see what went wrong.

Replicating a CD in 2001 and replicating 2 DVDs today would cost the same or there would be very less difference.

Can you provide a 160 page magazine and 1 DL DVD for Rs.100/- today?

By the way, I pre-ordered the issue on 28th Feb but has not received it. My house is 3 kms from Digits office

No they don't cost the same. 2 DL DVDs today are still more expensive.

No we could not provide 1 DL DVD and 160 page mag for Rs 55 today (Rs 100 cover price minus 45% margin to get it to you).

Write to me at robert . smith at 9dot9.in with the order number and CC help at thinkdigit.com also please. You should have received it by now, something must be wrong.

got it today and the magazine was not in good shape... some errors like repeating same thing again was there....

What was wrong with the mag? Was it torn or damaged? Would request readers who get such packages to click a pic on their cell phone, and mail to our help desk so we can take the couriers to task.

What was repeated?

------------------ From here on this reply is from me as an individual forum member, and not on behalf of Digit ------------------

I am not a school going kid, so don't pose me and my parents in between this discussion. School was never HORRIBLE for me or my parents.

You go change your job, become a Principal in a NEW SCHOOL with all modern facilities and all. RUN it for 1 year and you will get the inside story!!

It is easy to say all schools fills up the seats, practicality is far from your eyes.

You will never understand it, until you yourself face it.

You are in Digit from a long time, your mind is engraved with all things tech. There is a world outside to explore and to learn....... things are always not in the same way we except them to be always.

There are HARD truth for you to discover and see and learn.

I should clarify that I use "You" in my posts (and editorials) to address everyone in general. It's a style of writing, and that "You or your parents" meant "people or their parents". My apologies, was not trying to point a finger at either you or your parents in particular. It was meant to be a generalization, for people who were not happy with their schools...

However, now, I will address you (Tech&ME) in what follows, since all of the questions and comments in your last post addressed me personally, and not Digit in general:

I come from a family of teachers and principals, and members of Team Digit (my colleagues) interact with students, teachers and principals on a regular basis. We're all exposed to a lot more than you would believe. What experiences exactly are your realizations of this "hard truth" based on?

You are yelling like you paid out the money from your OWN pocket to get us those movies for FREE..... how cheap this sounds..... isn't it ??

Don't make yourself sound like you did something extraordinary !!

And on top of it your CLARIFICATION above is just the FUN part.... as if we didn't knew what you guys had actually paid for the MOVIE.

End of the day the movie was actually SPONSORED at a lower price [ Rs 20 or Rs25 / DVD ] to you people, that was what my original comment was..... isn't it ??

Wow. Stop being so touchy! Seriously. All I am trying to do is clarify and remove any misconceptions you have.

Believe me:
  • No one is yelling at you.
  • I represent Digit here, so yes I use the words "we" to refer to the people who have, do and will been a part of this magazine. Until this post, nothing I said was meant to be construed as something "I" did, it was always what "we" did, or why "we" did it.

As for the rest of your post:

First you suggested...

5. Digit used to give FREEBIES like Movie DVD/CDs earlier, can't you get sponsors for this kind things and support the cost of the magazine.

Then after I replied, you said:

OH ! really !! that was too bad a marketing strategy!!
I never knew that, so basically you buy a Rs. 100 movie DVD and give it free with the cover price of the magazine as Rs 150 ??

u guys just made a Rs 20/- or 30/- profit margin on each mag...

so, u guys were so nice to do charity giving those movies, ya!!

Which gave me the impression that you thought the following:

1. The movie makers paid us to provide their movies.
  2. That DVD movies cost us Rs. 100
  3. The entire Rs 150 comes back to Digit.
  4. We're lying about something (The sarcastic comment about "Charity" above)

I don't know if I misread your posts, or didn't catch some form of sarcasm that you wanted to imply, but I genuinely thought you felt that we got all of those "gifts" we gave away (movies or otherwise) for free... In fact it actually came across as a suggestion by you to make more money by doing that more often!

All I'm trying to do in this thread is remove any misconceptions you or anyone else might have about how some things work at Digit.

------------------ Back to posting on behalf of Digit | And "You" means everyone again ------------------

There's no reason for anyone on this forum to lose their tempers, make snide comments or be sarcastic. If you want to know how something works, ask, and we'll be happy to explain as best we can.

The whole point of this feedback forum is to get people to come here and be honest, tell us what they think, point out when we screw up, and give us the opportunity to apologise for our errors, fix them, improve, and as a result offer you an even better product than we did before. It's all in the public domain, easily accessible to anyone who wants to read it.

You need to appreciate that feedback is a two way street.

People tell us what's wrong, we fix it, they tell us what's right, we try and do more of it.

However, if their thinking itself is wrong, and they post suggestions here that are founded on miscalculations or misinformation, obviously someone is going to correct them. Why? Because we do not want such misinformation becoming a common misconception to everyone who browses the thread.

There's nothing implied by those corrections, so please don't take it personally!

Piyush

Lanaya

Do YOU realise that typing in CAPS like THIS with BOLD text accompanied by RED BOLD TEXT means yelling? :)

I mean, if you don't like the magazine. Don't buy it, as simple as that? What are you arguing about? I've seen your old threads as well. Not cool.

Tech&ME

Banned
------------------ From here on this reply is from me as an individual forum member, and not on behalf of Digit ------------------

I should clarify that I use "You" in my posts (and editorials) to address everyone in general. It's a style of writing, and that "You or your parents" meant "people or their parents". My apologies, was not trying to point a finger at either you or your parents in particular. It was meant to be a generalization, for people who were not happy with their schools...

However, now, I will address you (Tech&ME) in what follows, since all of the questions and comments in your last post addressed me personally, and not Digit in general:

I come from a family of teachers and principals, and members of Team Digit (my colleagues) interact with students, teachers and principals on a regular basis. We're all exposed to a lot more than you would believe. What experiences exactly are your realizations of this "hard truth" based on?

Sorry, I would prefer not to reveal myself and my work here, so as to give my realizations of "hard truth" based upon. [ will drop you a e-mail instead ]

Wow. Stop being so touchy! Seriously. All I am trying to do is clarify and remove any misconceptions you have.

Believe me:
  • No one is yelling at you.
  • I represent Digit here, so yes I use the words "we" to refer to the people who have, do and will been a part of this magazine. Until this post, nothing I said was meant to be construed as something "I" did, it was always what "we" did, or why "we" did it.

As for the rest of your post:

First you suggested...

Then after I replied, you said:

Which gave me the impression that you thought the following:

1. The movie makers paid us to provide their movies.
  2. That DVD movies cost us Rs. 100
  3. The entire Rs 150 comes back to Digit.
  4. We're lying about something (The sarcastic comment about "Charity" above)

I don't know if I misread your posts, or didn't catch some form of sarcasm that you wanted to imply, but I genuinely thought you felt that we got all of those "gifts" we gave away (movies or otherwise) for free... In fact it actually came across as a suggestion by you to make more money by doing that more often!

All I'm trying to do in this thread is remove any misconceptions you or anyone else might have about how some things work at Digit.
  1. The movie makers paid us to provide their movies. [wrong. I never thought that way! ]
  2. That DVD movies cost us Rs. 100 [it was just an example, could have been anything, Rs 25 or Rs 50 or Rs 100 whichever you consider as the amount of money ]
  3. The entire Rs 150 comes back to Digit. [ As if I know nothing about BUSINESS. What made you think so, I don't understand. But frankly, I never considered it the way you populated this on your mind. ]
  4. We're lying about something (The sarcastic comment about "Charity" above) [ Doesn't matters even if you lie. But I never thought in my wildest dream that Raaabo will lie anything atleast on his own company forum. Do I look so dull to you !! ]

------------------ Back to posting on behalf of Digit | And "You" means everyone again ------------------

There's no reason for anyone on this forum to lose their tempers, make snide comments or be sarcastic. If you want to know how something works, ask, and we'll be happy to explain as best we can.

The whole point of this feedback forum is to get people to come here and be honest, tell us what they think, point out when we screw up, and give us the opportunity to apologise for our errors, fix them, improve, and as a result offer you an even better product than we did before. It's all in the public domain, easily accessible to anyone who wants to read it.

You need to appreciate that feedback is a two way street.

People tell us what's wrong, we fix it, they tell us what's right, we try and do more of it.

However, if their thinking itself is wrong, and they post suggestions here that are founded on miscalculations or misinformation, obviously someone is going to correct them. Why? Because we do not want such misinformation becoming a common misconception to everyone who browses the thread.

There's nothing implied by those corrections, so please don't take it personally!

Thanks,

Do YOU realise that typing in CAPS like THIS with BOLD text accompanied by RED BOLD TEXT means yelling? :)

I mean, if you don't like the magazine. Don't buy it, as simple as that? What are you arguing about? I've seen your old threads as well. Not cool.

Just put me in your ignore list.

Don't poke your nose in the middle when two people are talking regarding some matter.

If you had read my comments carefully, I remember mentioning " I have been reading DIGIT since 1996."

So, what does that imply ? I like digit and not as you have presumed it.

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
What was repeated?

shortcuts, like for the windows, there was {win}+{space} two times, one time it said "peek at desktop" and one time it said "make windows transparent so you can see the desktop".... both the things are same, only way of saying changed....

What was wrong with the mag? Was it torn or damaged? Would request readers who get such packages to click a pic on their cell phone, and mail to our help desk so we can take the couriers to task.

the side (where paper are binded) is teared up at many places with paper splitting into its layers, but i must say that binding was good so papers are still intact...
cant upload pics, my dial up will take hours to upload a pic... but still i will try if i can...

thatsashok

peace panda
tech&me: are you the same guy?? *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/random-news/146131-indo-bangla-enclave-exchange-treaty-2.html , *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/chit-chat/147087-request-tdf-members.html

Why are you crapping the thread ?

Please argue constructively man. What has been done is done....suggestions to improve and proper feedback? You are posting everything except that. We are not posting here to prove our point.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Tech&Me: Come on dude! Stop being such a "kid" and try to see the world with more rationale. :lol:

Here's a little story of mine.

I started reading digit way back in school. And believe me I didn't had the money to buy it even at the rate of Rs. 100. But I did read an issue at a friend of mine, and knew that I have to get that. What I did? Bought first few issues from Darya ganj market of Delhi, at a throwaway prices of Rs. 20/30. Those were used to be 3-4 months issues and hence cheap.
I never complained about the magazine being "so costly", since it had the content which justified it.

Years later, when I came to college, I used to "arrange" money from my spending to buy it. I never got any "pocket money". So how did I arranged? Saving bus ticket fares by going to college on foot whenever I could. Why? Cause digit magazine had became my virtual best friend until then.

Zoom to today. I have a job. So you will say, "Now you will have no problem, huh?".. Let me tell you pal, spending now is more tougher than before, since it's "me" who have to "decide" whether to spend on something "for myself" or for family. I haven't able to subscribe for digit till now, because that "decision" is hard to make. BUT, I never miss an issue and buy it from a newsstand. Why? Since I still think, digit is my best friend.

Never in my life have anyone “forced” me to buy digit. But never did I believe buying it was an “extravagant”.

Point of my story is that if you think digit is “costly” then it’s your desire to opt out. But, if you do think, you like the mag, then make yourself worthy to buy it. And please don’t disregard any member of team digit, including any of the reader for whom digit has been a holy grail of information.

Last edited:

Tech&ME

Banned
tech&me: are you the same guy?? *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/random-news/146131-indo-bangla-enclave-exchange-treaty-2.html *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/chit-chat/147087-request-tdf-members.html

Why are you crapping the thread ?

Please argue constructively man. What has been done is done....suggestions to improve and proper feedback? You are posting everything except that. We are not posting here to prove our point.

I was just replying to Raaabo.

Originally what I posted (my first comment here) was feedback only. But yes what followed was all reply to Raaabo Sir.

I will not be replying here anymore.

thatsashok

peace panda
I was just replying to Raaabo.

Originally what I posted (my first comment here) was feedback only. But yes what followed was all reply to Raaabo Sir.

I will not be replying here anymore.
Honestly, the bold part didn't exactly look like Feedback for the March issue. :)

I think you posted on 29 Feb. Had the magazine arrived? :)
^^

that was a nice explanation.... Digit is actually falling not Facebook.

And an IPO is business related stuff,, not relevant technically for a TECH magazine to cover it.

IMHO kids who will buy this mag ( may be those who will buy ) , will never buy an IPO.

Share Market fundas are not for tech mags......

Facebook is anyway going to sell itself out sooner or later and this is one way to get investors on the table to value the company.

The Price tag is awesome !! Keep it higher .... and higher up as much as u guys can !!

So, How many people really buy this mag ?? ( Forum members that is !! )

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I'm buying this magazine since 2003. I picked it up from the newsstand every month. But last year I subscribed to the magazine & renewed my subscription this month..

Top Bottom