Preview and Feedback [March 2012]

r4gs

In the zone
Why Facebook might fail

*img163.imageshack.us/img163/2017/coversnapmarch2012.jpg

Why facebook might fail!
With Facebook going in for an IPO, what are the changes you can expect to your favourite social networking web site. Will you like all of those changes? Is it wise to ignore all other social networking sites? Who are the people making money off your fb addiction? Plus: a few reasons why none of us care, and why Facebook might just succeed – thanks to you...

CP+ Photo and imaging show
Digit goes to the CP+ photo and imaging fair in Japan
Plus,
A quick look at one of Canon's most secret manufacturing facilities

devworx
The battle for an open web

Tips & Tricks
WordPress tweaks
Shortcuts to everything

Bazaar Tested
Logitech G9x
Nokia 700
Sony KDL 55HX925 TV
FujiFilm X10
Maxx projector phone

Comparison Tests
SSDs
Laptops and Ultrabooks

Agent 001
SMPS

Game Reviews
The Darkness II
Asura's Wrath
Upcoming games this month (March)

Devworx booklet (special)

*img856.imageshack.us/img856/2406/digitftgamingmarch2012.jpg
Mobile app development

Fast Track to careers in gaming

*img138.imageshack.us/img138/4741/fasttrackgamingmarch201.jpg

Chapter highlights
You can make money building games?
So, what's a game?
Game Development in India
Cellphone Gaming
The people behind the games
Understanding the game development process
Tips - What works, and what doesn't

Fast Track to security

*img594.imageshack.us/img594/2627/digitftsecurity.jpg

Chapter highlights
How important is your data?
Mobile devices: the new target
PC/Laptop threats
Suite up
How to stay secure

DVD Contents

*img845.imageshack.us/img845/1714/alphadvd.png

Alpha DVD
15+ Game Development Tools
Security Tools
The Node.js Compedium : Software, Books, Manuals, Podcasts and Videos
Full Games for Windows and Linux: BlockOut II, Egoboo, Pingus and Teeworlds

*img593.imageshack.us/img593/3220/omegadvd.png

Omega DVD
Power User Pack
Game Demos: Amp, Watts and Circuits, Cell : Emergence, Mega World Smash and Unstoppable Gorg
Linux Distros: PCLinuxOS 2012.02, ReactOS 0.3.14
190+ Khan Academy Videos on Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Finance and IIT-JEE
Question papers for CBSE X, AIEEE and IIT-JEE

DVD Manifests

Alpha DVD Manifest
Omega DVD Manifest

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Nice :D
FT to Security very good indeed :)
Epic cover page. A definite must buy for me. Waiting for it to hit the local newsstand :wink:

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
still to lay hands on this issue..:)
but Im pretty excited for both the Fastracks, esp to careers in Gaming.:hyper:.
can't thank Digit enough for that,:thumbs:
I was eagerly awaiting such topics..
Time & again u prove..
Digit :number1: da No1 Techmag in India..:p:)

Niilesh

Padawan
looking forward for FT to Careers in Gaming and security
Too bad will not be able to read it before 20th :'( (exams)

dead.night7

Journeyman
Dnt know about facebook, but digit might be failing just for the stupid price rise in the magazine. I dont find any other special thing other than 2 fast tracks and devworks. Ahem.. Devworks could have been a part of the magazine but nopes, magazine is reserved for all those products which a middle class person wont like to purchase just because he she is not always on shopping spree or dont have ultra large pockets to buy any of them...
Next : I find people saying fasttrack to gaming would be interesting part of magazine but still, here It does not have much light to inspire me, for instance you didn't gave a book on how to make a game, rather you gave such a **** that tells where to go for gaming course!!.. What sort of things not to do in a game. Sir, AFAIK person going for gaming course might have played with a dozens of games and then he had made a choice for his own. As per me,
If you guys could have given the participation of mathematics, physics and other science subjects in making of a game that would sure have been a deal. Because that would have inspired masses for an indepth study for those subjects in engg.
Next : Fast track to security doesn't holds much thing other than protecting your pc. Rather than a detailed description and an article on what penetration testing is, its use in security, etc would have been mind blowing for graduates.
Lastly I think that a price point of Rs. 200 is a bad idea for purchasing it. I know this will lead to thrashing replies and saying that I should subscribe and blah bla... But rather I liked this magazine and I want this magazine to grow. But after every single month I think reading it in library and throwing it is the best option. Because there is no passion in collecting these dvd because every other stuff is simply available on the internet.
One may be kiddish to go and buy it out on a newsstand... Sigh @

Tech&ME

Banned
^^

that was a nice explanation.... Digit is actually falling not Facebook.

And an IPO is business related stuff,, not relevant technically for a TECH magazine to cover it.

IMHO kids who will buy this mag ( may be those who will buy ) , will never buy an IPO.

Share Market fundas are not for tech mags......

Facebook is anyway going to sell itself out sooner or later and this is one way to get investors on the table to value the company.

The Price tag is awesome !! Keep it higher .... and higher up as much as u guys can !!

So, How many people really buy this mag ?? ( Forum members that is !! )

nedun_cheran

Broken In
Yeah,

Digit Editor sir, (Mahashei)
Why this KOLAVERI, still some Mag's are costing as low as 1OO Bucks, you are carry one going up. Also, it seems that you are interested in Money Spinnnnning.
Please reduce the rate of Digit as well as The Polo T Shirts. It is not worth of Rs 496. That too in only Black colour.
or Instead you get the supply from Ludhiana Speed-93 Brand. Wonderful product just Rs 150 only in Whole sale rate.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
looking forward to SSDs test and FT on Security and careers in gaming - I like to read anything and everything related to gaming ;-)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Tech&ME said:
So, How many people really buy this
mag ?? ( Forum members that is !! )
I do. Been buying each and every issue since October 2008. This months price is atleast lesser than the usual Rs.250
dead.night7 said:
One may be kiddish to go and buy it
out on a newsstand...
:facepalm:

from when did buying a tech mag become kid like behaviour?
dead.night7 said:
dvd because every other stuff is simply
available on the internet
well since you have super fast broadband just subscribe to the magazine without the discs if at all you want to read Digit as I think you probably donot want to as you find it childish kid like behaviour.
dead.night7 said:
Lastly I think that a price point of Rs.
200 is a bad idea for purchasing it
so how much would you pay for 2 dual layer Dvd, 2 fast track of 80 pages and a colored magazine of 150 pages?
less than Rs.100 I guess. But you know digit itself spends money to print the magazine. Yes they have adverts and sponsors but money does go in.

The magazine you spoke of which costs Rs.100 gives how many dual layer dvds and how many fast track type books?

dead.night7

Journeyman
There is no heal for blind followers in this world, the segment of mine above quoted was the last thing which I wanted to speak of... I mean just for the reason you fill the dvd's and bloat the magazine, that does not mean you should rise a price. Well with that increment in price you can be giving out better articles at least on your cover page. Its not about money. Digit should have kept it at around Rs. 250 but still we have a saying in hindi that "bevkoofon ki kami nai hai is duniya mein". (No harsh feelings for anyone.) There was a time when i loved this magazine and waited every second to buy it during the year 2009. Because this was the one who taught me assembling of computer and other hands on stuff. But gradually with time everything gets deteriorated. Your life, your strength and maybe articles of Digit... No use in telling my feelings towards you. Thats just me

Tech&ME

Banned
@thetechfreak

NOW we know and found the DIGIT FAN BOY !!!!!! ha..... ha.... ha..... :grin: :grin:

1. Is Digit Mag not available online for @dead.night7 to download it off the internet, then paying Rs 200/- ?? also FT is available on the internet too ( if u know to look around!! @thetakefreak)

2. I know FAN BOYs will buy it just for the sake of buying it. ( Its not value for money dude !! )

3. Save some money and get yourself a decent internet connection first. This will change your perspective towards the magazine buying saga......

4. I am not against Digit Mag or any tech Mag for that matter, its just the price point which doesnot do any justice for the Digit Mag this time around.

@dead.night7 said:
"bevkoofon ki kami nai hai is duniya mein"

That is so true...

@thetakefreak said:
so how much would you pay for 2 dual layer Dvd, 2 fast track of 80 pages and a colored magazine of 150 pages?
less than Rs.100 I guess. But you know digit itself spends money to print the magazine. Yes they have adverts and sponsors but money does go in.

So, why don't you donate some money to Digit.... atleast they will keep the Price Tag low.... :grin: :grin:

(Do you know what are you talking @thetakefreak, do you know anything about business ? )

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Hmmm... Rs 200 is not that expensive for what's on offer to be honest. Better Photography comes for Rs 100 minus any addons. G&G is Rs 50 but it has fewer pages a.d again, no addons.

@ Tech&Me: You should consider inflation too. Prices are rising. To provide quality content, you have to raise costs somewhere. I have read the magazine in the past and it is the market leader for a good reason. If you don't want to buy digit, go for G&G. You can get everything on the internet sure, but magazines are not for those who read so much anyway.

Tech&ME

Banned
Hmmm... Rs 200 is not that expensive for what's on offer to be honest. Better Photography comes for Rs 100 minus any addons. G&G is Rs 50 but it has fewer pages a.d again, no addons.

@ Tech&Me: You should consider inflation too. Prices are rising. To provide quality content, you have to raise costs somewhere. I have read the magazine in the past and it is the market leader for a good reason. If you don't want to buy digit, go for G&G. You can get everything on the internet sure, but magazines are not for those who read so much anyway.

Ya ! I understand and agree that prices are rising in every commodity items. And that is where I suggested Raaabo Sir to consider an e-book style mag distribution instead of the conventional print medium.

This will bring down the Paper / Ink cost and will also be environment friendly.

To lock the contents of the e-mag Digit can come up with its own format for the mag and also a simple free reader software to go with it. ( this will prevent the market share from getting out of its hands,, if you know what I am talking about. )

Sooner or later , we all know, this is the best time to switch to newer technologies and give the readers VALUE for MONEY contents at affordable price.

For example. Apple is trying to come up with its own format for the songs in the iTunes for DRM free distribution through iCloud which will automatically sync on all Apple devices. ( currently it is still possible though iTune Match)

dead.night7

Journeyman
Its about the quality content. There was a time when it took me rather two complete days to get reading it with crazy enthusiasm. But now it just takes me around 25 minutes to read, and done. And get bored for the rest of the month, or cry for what you have spend, is not worth at all.
Reading is a passion if you think 2 fasttracks are the only thing you should consider try thinking further, books on them are available easily everywhere or more likely the graduation textbooks carry all these stuffs which have a price less than the magazine has to offer... And indeed they are awesome to read in an indepth study. Security, Programming in Graphics, Networking. you name it. But still that will not affect your buying decision for what you have made it. I am not against anyone, everyone has their own views in buying this magazine for what they have made. Magazine does not holds any unusual stuff for me right now. I think its better to save this money right now and spending wisely afterwards

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Tech&ME said:
So, why don't you donate some money to Digit.... atleast they will keep the Price Tag low....
I am donating each month by buying it from the stands at a bloated price :D
Tech&ME said:
1. Is Digit Mag not available online for @dead.night7 to download it off the internet, then paying Rs 200/- ?? also FT is available on the internet too ( if u know to look around!! @thetakefreak)
You didnt know you could buy Digit online for online reading :rofl:
I know you guys were ignorant with your spelling calling it takefreak
But come on?
Go here and enjoy the latest issue of Digit online, on your iPad , iPhone, Galaxy Tab, Kindle or whatever
Digit Magazine - Buy, Subscribe, Download and Read Digit for your iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Amazon, Android and on the web only on Magzter

Tech&ME said:
3. Save some money and get yourself a decent internet connection first. This will change your perspective towards the magazine buying saga......
I have good enough internet :wink:
Tech&ME said:
2. I know FAN BOYs will buy it just for the sake of buying it. ( Its not value for money dude !! )
I am not a fanboy, I buy Digit because I gain knowledge thats all.
dead.night7 said:
"bevkoofon ki kami nai hai is duniya mein"
Tech&ME said:
That is so true...
No wonder :rofl:

That said. I wont be replying to any useless rants anymore. Period.

Tech&ME said:
Ya ! I understand and agree that prices are rising in every commodity items. And that is where I suggested Raaabo Sir to consider an e-book style mag distribution instead of the conventional print medium.
Digit already has a ebook format-
Same link as above. thinkdigit.com/magzter

Too bad you are ignorant and dont keep yourself updated on things you yourself request.

Last edited:

Tech&ME

Banned
^^
:grin: :grin:

So I get it for FREE !! that the difference ( if ever can understand what I was talking about in my previous comments... ) takefreak was intentional :wink:

Top Bottom