Please assist for PC Config - Budget 75K

Hello to all members,
I have decided to get a PC assembled. :) . I have provided the details according to the format provided by mods to ensure quality suggestions from tech gurus here.! Please assist me -

1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: It will be used for 3 main purposes:
- Gaming.(I am a core gamer. So it will be used for gaming mostly.)
- Watching Full HD movies.
- MSVS 2010/ SQL SERVER 2008 development work.
* No multimedia editing/rendering/conversion work.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Sure. Yes!

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Budget is rigid at Rs 75000/-. (My current year's whole savings after taxes :p :) !)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Frankly speaking, I have no idea how to overclock any PC. So no plans as of now to OC. But 1-2 year down the line I will surely want to pump up the frequency! (BTW which parts of a PC can be OCed?! )

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows Vista 64 bit Basic Edition.

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: Internal - 500GB
External - 500GB ( for starting).

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: Screen resolution should be 1920 X 1080 Full HD. I dont want monstrous screen. If i get the above resolution in 21" or 22" screen, its perfect for me. But quality of the display should be jaw dropping! :)

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: I will say a decent 6.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: This is to be done by an assembler. My techhie friends can help in small things. :)

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: 2nd or 3rd week of November 2010.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: This question is not valid.! . People should accept the fact that even top class configurations won't last beyond 2 years.! :)

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: N0. I want all the primary / auxiliary components to be present on the assembled system.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Currently I stay in Mangalore, Karnataka. The closet cosmo near it spells Bangalore. So Bangaloreans please help in selection of shops.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I have bulletted some additional information below:

• Processor - I have no experience with AMD processors. Some people argue it suffers from overheating problem and not suitable in the long run. But I can go with suggested i7 or its AMD equivalent.
• Motherboard - I want the motherboard to support SLI/CrossFireX , It should have SATA and eSATA ports , at least 6 USB 2.0 , on-board audio card (min 5.1 support) , on-board ethernet card, one PCI express ports. I have come across incidents of low range ASUS mobos failing. So suggest me a good one. :).
• RAM - How does the operating frequency of RAM affect the performance while gaming? Initially I had decided to go for 2 X 2 =4GB 1333 MHz. But some are suggesting 2 X 2 = 4GB 1600 or 2000 MHz cards! . And some are suggesting 3 X 2 = 6GB 1333 MHz. Whats with this jargon "sweet spot" when it comes to RAM and CPU performance? How much memory and which operating frequency should I consider?
• Hard Drive - Whats RAID 0/1 ? How does it affect the performance of system ? Should I go with RAID 0 type HDD for internal memory(500GB)? Will my budget be able to afford any memory luxury? (SSD excluded for cost reasons already. :( )
• Graphics Card -It should be SLI-able or CrossFire-able in near future. With my present configuration I must be able to play all the past games and games coming upto next 2 years when SLIed or CrossFired. Min Video memory required is 1GB. Also which I should opt for ? - ASUS, MSI, Sapphire, ZOTAC or PALIT ?
• PSU - I have absolutely null idea about the power consumption. What is the wattage i will require for my configuration?
• Cooler/Fan - Again, naive in this area. Suggestions needed.
• Cabinet - Looks doesnt matter(atleast for my config :)) ! But it should support large GPUs in near future. Should have a decent build.
• Monitor - Full HD 1080p support should be there. Can I afford AlienWare monitor in my budget? Is the display quality of alienware monitor really exceptional?
• Optical Drive - Basic DVD RW should do fine. No Blue Ray required.
• Keyboard - Do we get backlit keyboards in India? If yes, can my budget accommodate it in any case?
• Mouse - No gaming mouse required.
• Speakers - A decent 2.1 for now.
• UPS - Again not sure of the VA rating for the configuration. Please suggest.
• Power Surge protector - Do I need it ?

It will be very helpful if the people here can provide me at least two configurations for the mentioned budget of 75 K. (one from Intel's perspective and the other from AMDs with price adjustment at will for remaining components).
Thanks in advance guys,

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
to reply u in short, as gaming is ur main motto then u can go in for a core i7 based system.. :) plz checl out the link in my siggy for various core i7 based discussions.. :)

OP
P

.--=pro[X]YCON=--.

Broken In
Hey Ashu , Thanks for quick reply. I went to the forum mentioned in your sig. It really halped. :) . But waiting for some more suggestions as I have listed out many things to consider! Hope someone helps. :p

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Wait man !

As ashu said core i7 is best for all But now core i5 760 is a gaming processor beats all core i7 processor except extreme !

Here's the config

Core i5 760 2.8Ghz (It has turbo boost up to 3.4Ghz no need for OCing) @ 9.8K

MSI P55-GD85 (its fully loaded board best for gaming) @ 11K

MSI HD 5850 1GB @ 16K

Corsair 2 X 2GB 1600Mhz @ 5K

Dell Dell G2410 24" LED Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor 1080p @ 13.3K

WD / Seagate 1 TB @ 3K

TVS Mechanical keyboard @ 1.2K (use this u ll never go for another gaming keyboard , u ll never miss a key )

Razer Death adder mouse @ 2K

rantopad mouse pad @ Rs400

Corsair TX650 @ 6K

LG DVD RW @ 1K

Cooler master 690 Advanced II Cabinet @ 5.5K

Creative 2.1 @ 1.1K

Cooler master Hyper 212+ Cpu cooler ( decent cooler , the stock cooler is worst in case of Core i5 760 ) @ 2K

APC 1100VA UPS @ 4.8K

Last edited:

mavihs

Techie By Heart
5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows Vista 64 bit Basic Edition. why you planning to use Vista, Win 7 is way better in terms of performance!

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: Screen resolution should be 1920 X 1080 Full HD. I dont want monstrous screen. If i get the above resolution in 21" or 22" screen, its perfect for me. But quality of the display should be jaw dropping! :) how about 22" or 24" LED monitor?

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: 2nd or 3rd week of November 2010.we'll be suggesting a config but i would recommened you to bump this thread once in november cos some new GPUs are going to be released in end of this month

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Currently I stay in Mangalore, Karnataka. The closet cosmo near it spells Bangalore. So Bangaloreans please help in selection of shops.are you open to buying online?

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I have bulletted some additional information below:

• Processor - I have no experience with AMD processors. Some people argue it suffers from overheating problem and not suitable in the long run. this is not true!But I can go with suggested i7 or its AMD equivalent.Intel configs are still better for gaming RIGs!
• Cabinet - Looks doesnt matter(atleast for my config :)) ! But it should support large GPUs in near future. Should have a decent build.do you want looks or not? check out CM HAF (google it)
• Monitor - Full HD 1080p support should be there. Can I afford AlienWare monitor in my budget? Is the display quality of alienware monitor really exceptional?sure you can afford Alienware but its got nothing special accept the looks & the brand name
• Keyboard - Do we get backlit keyboards in India?yes If yes, can my budget accommodate it in any case?yes, check out Razer keyboard & mouse
• Mouse - No gaming mouse required. why, if your a gamer you should go for gaming mouse

OP
P

.--=pro[X]YCON=--.

Broken In
@goodman : Your config exceeds 82 K dude! :) . Its an excellent config but I need to make some price adjustment for components to bring it to my budget! And in the long run (1-2 year) will the i5 - 760 will be still performing well enough to power upcoming games?? Thanks for the quick config! :)

@mavihs : Sorry, Windows Vista was a mistake!(pun intended). I have zero experiance in online shopping of computer peripherals. Can you suggest some reputed online sites which deliver genuine and quality products? And is assembling by parts by self is confusing and difficult job? Thanks again!

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
.--=pro[X]YCON=--.;1286577 said:
@goodman : Your config exceeds 82 K dude! :) . Its an excellent config but I need to make some price adjustment for components to bring it to my budget! And in the long run (1-2 year) will the i5 - 760 will be still performing well enough to power upcoming games?? Thanks for the quick config! :)

@mavihs : Sorry, Windows Vista was a mistake!(pun intended). I have zero experiance in online shopping of computer peripherals. Can you suggest some reputed online sites which deliver genuine and quality products? And is assembling by parts by self is confusing and difficult job? Thanks again!

No problem i just gave everything for Gaming needs , still For monitor u can go for Benq G2420HD 11.2K

Then mouse u can get gigabyte laser mouse for Rs650/-

But dont change Processor / Mobo / grafix card !

I can tell up to one year i5 760 can dominate , still many games not even utilizing 4 cores !

NO ONE GIVE PROMISE ON GAMING COMPUTER FUTURE PROOOF !:!:

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
AMD Phenom 955 BE @8

Good MSI/Gigabyte boadr with two Pcie 16x slots at 8x/8x @8

GSkill Ripjaws 3 x 2 Gbs @7.5

Corsair TX650 @7K

BenQ G2420HD @11.2

Razor Lycosa @2.4

Gigabyte GM-M6800 @.8

Spire thermax ellipse II @3 OR Noctua NH-D14 @4.5

NZXT M59 @3.5

Sunbeamtech fan x 3 @1

Gcard- Buy one new at 2011 when AMD6xxx is launched.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
AMD Phenom 955 BE @8

Good MSI/Gigabyte boadr with two Pcie 16x slots at 8x/8x @8

GSkill Ripjaws 3 x 2 Gbs @7.5

Corsair TX650 @7K

BenQ G2420HD @11.2

Razor Lycosa @2.4

Gigabyte GM-M6800 @.8

NZXT M59 @3.5

Sunbeamtech fan x 3 @1

Gcard- Buy one new at 2011 when AMD6xxx is launched.

Dont Give False price ! :-x:-x:-x

Lycosa for 2.4K ???

Corsair TX650 is 6.2K not 7K !!

He is not going for OCing !

OP's system for Gaming !

Cilus

laborare est orare
Where's Jaskanwar? Ask him and i'm sure he'll suggest a great i7 config.

Well I know Jassy is the king, but a futile try from my side

Core i7 950 @ 15k
Corsair TR3X2G-1333 XMS3 C9 6GB Kit @ 7k
Gigabyte GA-EX58UD3R @ 14K
Seagate 1 Tb SATA with 32 MB Cache @ 2.9k
Cooler Master Elite 430 @ 2.6k
Corsair TX750W @ 6.45k
MSI HD5850 1GB GDDR5 @ 15.9k
BenQ 22" G2420 FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 7.5k
Gigabyte GM6800 @ 0.8k
Razer Arctosa @ 2.4k

Total 74.35k. You can further reduce price by going for Core i7 930 @ 13.5k and some less pricey Keyboard with 1 to 1.5k.

OP
P

.--=pro[X]YCON=--.

Broken In
@ toad_frog09 : Waiting for 6xxxx ati might be an overwait for me! :) And price at the time of launch may be very high.

@ goodman : price correction helped. And, as you said, lots of places I am coming across people's choice for i5-750/760 over i7 - 950/930.:!: . But, lots are telling i7 is the way to go if you are considering SlIing or Crossfiring in near future. Is this valid? Other even I have found i5-750 to be a master performer on my quest in various threads. :)

@Cilus : Your configuration is almost ideal for me .:) Only thing is you dint include Optical drive, UPS,Cooler and 2.1 audio system. So I will have to make some changes in your suggested config to accommodate missings. And ya, I have read many great configs suggested by Jassy. Maybe he is coming with some great config this time here :)

One more Q - If i7 supports 1033 MHz RAM memory then why people go for frequency as high as possible(like 2000 or 1600 MHz). Any specific reason!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
.--=pro[X]YCON=--.;1286729 said:
@ toad_frog09 : Waiting for 6xxxx ati might be an overwait for me! :) And price at the time of launch may be very high.

yup. right there.

@ goodman : price correction helped. And, as you said, lots of places I am coming across people's choice for i5-750/760 over i7 - 950/930.:!: . But, lots are telling i7 is the way to go if you are considering SlIing or Crossfiring in near future. Is this valid? Other even I have found i5-750 to be a master performer on my quest in various threads. :)

are you going for SLI/Xfire of 2 highend cards? like HD5870 or GTX470? this kind of setup requires a really fast processor i.e. i7 9**. but for mainstream dual GPU i.e. HD5770*2 or GTX460*2, i5 750-760 or AMD Phenom II X4 looks better. cause everything is in balance.

@Cilus : Your configuration is almost ideal for me .:) Only thing is you dint include Optical drive, UPS,Cooler and 2.1 audio system. So I will have to make some changes in your suggested config to accommodate missings. And ya, I have read many great configs suggested by Jassy. Maybe he is coming with some great config this time here :)

1. theres not 100s of choice here. LG, Samsung are 2 mostly used brands when it comes to OD.

2. are you planning to OC? if not, cooler is not needed.

3. UPS depends on final config. i.e. a fixed config. also theres no better choice than APC.

4. totally personal choice here.

One more Q - If i7 supports 1033 MHz RAM memory then why people go for frequency as high as possible(like 2000 or 1600 MHz). Any specific reason!

cause (most of) those who uses i7, OC the hell out of it :smile:

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
Dont Give False price ! :-x:-x:-x

Lycosa for 2.4K ???

Corsair TX650 is 6.2K not 7K !!

He is not going for OCing !

OP's system for Gaming !

Oopsie daise, I got 2.4 instead of 4.2 there. Sorry
Sorry for the psu cost aswell, but the place where i live(small crappy town far far east), its available for 6.8-7k. So i was giving the approximate maximum cost.
As for the HSF, I mentioned the two finest pieces in (American, if not Indian) market as apposed to the hyper 212+ which, lets face it, is only mildly better than the stock.
Besides, I post through my cellphone, which i might add, is a bar phone with tiny keys.
So i cannot have tabs of websites open giving me accurate prices of products.
Honestly, its hard remembering the names, let alone prices.
Hehe.
But seriously, my deepest apologies sire.
And i apologies to op for any inconvinience as well.
Btw, Why did you mention the "op wants a gaming rid"?
If its for the CPU, then allow me to say but for gaming I like p955 + a graphics card worth 7k more than gcard paired with i7 950.
Just my way of thinking.
P.s - I also like bald women.

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
yup. right there.

are you going for SLI/Xfire of 2 highend cards? like HD5870 or GTX470? this kind of setup requires a really fast processor i.e. i7 9**. but for mainstream dual GPU i.e. HD5770*2 or GTX460*2, i5 750-760 or AMD Phenom II X4 looks better. cause everything is in balance.

1. theres not 100s of choice here. LG, Samsung are 2 mostly used brands when it comes to OD.

2. are you planning to OC? if not, cooler is not needed.

3. UPS depends on final config. i.e. a fixed config. also theres no better choice than APC.

4. totally personal choice here.

cause (most of) those who uses i7, OC the hell out of it :smile:

Assuming I was misunderstood here, I'd like to rephrase my sentence to, "wait till the AMD 6xxx gets launched as due to heavy compition, nvidia might drop prices which in turn might result to AMD drop the prices of the mid-high level cards like 5830/5850"
Lets say what happened to 4850 when 5770/5850 came across.
Besides, We cannot say what AMD has for us in its magical gift bag as they might bring out some entry level 6x card. Like 6770 or something.
So I'l still urge you to wait.
But I'm just a old man talking about his diabetic problems. Go ahead and stab me.
I, like in everyother things, am weak here at sli/crossfire stuff so just wanted to ask is it necessary for a Mobo to be plugged to i7 if it is sli/crossfire-ed to two heavy cards? Take two 5970 for example.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here what I would suggest :

Core i5 760 2.8Ghz @ 9.8K
MSI P55-GD85 @ 11K
2x Zotac GTX 460 768MB in SLi @ 21k
Corsair DDR3 2 X 2GB 1333/1600Mhz @ 5K
BenQ G2220HD monitor @ 7.5k
WD / Seagate 1 TB @ 3K
TVS Mechanical keyboard @ 1.2K
Gigabyte GM6800 @ 0.8k
Rantopad mouse pad @ Rs400
Corsair TX750W @ 7.2k
LG DVD RW @ 1K
Cooler master Elite 430 @ 2.6k
Creative 2.1 @ 1.1K
Cooler master Hyper 212+ Cpu cooler ( decent cooler , the stock cooler is worst in case of Core i5 760 ) @ 1.8k
APC 1100VA UPS @ 4.8K

Total : 78.2k - you can skip buying the CPU cooler now and add it later - so total would be 76.4k - also if you buy a logitech MM combo for 0.8k you can save Rs. 1.2k on KB+Mouse and as of now bear with a normal mouse pad and that way you can save 1.6k and it will come under 75k.

OP
P

.--=pro[X]YCON=--.

Broken In
But seriously, my deepest apologies sire.
And i apologies to op for any inconvinience as well.
Btw, Why did you mention the "op wants a gaming rid"?
If its for the CPU, then allow me to say but for gaming I like p955 + a graphics card worth 7k more than gcard paired with i7 950.
Just my way of thinking.

P.s - I also like bald women.

No aplogies :p!
LOL at your p.s. note :lol:

The confusion has already begun to start! The processor + motherborad combination is becoming tough choice! i7 950 + x58 will cost around Rs 30000 and i5 760 + P55 is coming around rs 10000. will investing in i7 950 now yield fruitful results for me in coming next 2 years?

And will i5 760 + P55 combo handle two crossfired 5850 ? Will it be too much processing and heat for an i5 proc when crossfired! Does crossfire really make difference while playing games? So guys currently i am stuck at proc+mobo combo. Rest other components I have started finalizing. but all depends on proc+mobo as it will heavily guide the budgeting for rest of my components. Help guys. All ideas welcome :)

And Mr Jaskanwar seem uninterested in deciding my config?:?:

OP
P

.--=pro[X]YCON=--.

Broken In
here what I would suggest :

Core i5 760 2.8Ghz @ 9.8K
MSI P55-GD85 @ 11K
2x Zotac GTX 460 768MB in SLi @ 21k
Corsair DDR3 2 X 2GB 1333/1600Mhz @ 5K
BenQ G2220HD monitor @ 7.5k
WD / Seagate 1 TB @ 3K
TVS Mechanical keyboard @ 1.2K
Gigabyte GM6800 @ 0.8k
Rantopad mouse pad @ Rs400
Corsair TX750W @ 7.2k
LG DVD RW @ 1K
Cooler master Elite 430 @ 2.6k
Creative 2.1 @ 1.1K
Cooler master Hyper 212+ Cpu cooler ( decent cooler , the stock cooler is worst in case of Core i5 760 ) @ 1.8k
APC 1100VA UPS @ 4.8K

Total : 78.2k - you can skip buying the CPU cooler now and add it later - so total would be 76.4k - also if you buy a logitech MM combo for 0.8k you can save Rs. 1.2k on KB+Mouse and as of now bear with a normal mouse pad and that way you can save 1.6k and it will come under 75k.

Thanks a lot topgear! your config looks top class for me! My only concern is wont 2 X GTX460 be too much for i5 760! And will i5 760 handle two 5850 in future if crossfired! Otherwise your config is really cool!:).
And will I really require 1100VA rating UPS?

Piyush

Lanaya
.--=pro[X]YCON=--.;1286817 said:
Thanks a lot topgear! your config looks top class for me! My only concern is wont 2 X GTX460 be too much for i5 760! And will i5 760 handle two 5850 in future if crossfired! Otherwise your config is really cool!:).
And will I really require 1100VA rating UPS?

760 will suit 2*460
u'll have no problem dealing them
and thats true for 2*5850 too

but 2*460 is better than 2*5850
its already been proved all over the websites

@topgear
awesome rig bro