PlayStation 3 vs Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
^^ Nice article

Another interesting read:

Why Consoles Have Succeeded Over PCs in Gaming << Gaming Irresponsibly » Gaming Irresponsibly

Lovely thread, too bad I'm 3 months late into this.

1) Game-ability - Console FTW!

Consoles shine over PC's if you are a hardcore gamer and nothing else. You need hassle free hardware, and games you can just plonk into it and expect them to work. But these kind of gamers are usually the filthy rich of the extremely hardcore ones, and many often buy different consoles all together (X360 and PS3) to be able to play the complete set of games. On a VFM basis, consoles tend to loose out if you intend to buy lots and lots of games, but they give you an experience of the way the game is meant to be played. Oh and I never mentioned the Wii because its in a category of its own. Its best left to family gatherings to entertain middle aged aunties and their pesky little kids.

2) Value For Money - PC FTW!

This is often stated as THE point when it comes to buying PCs for gaming, but from what I've gathered, PCs are NOT VFM at all if you buy them for exclusively gaming and nothing else (read: give them the console treatment). I know people who do everything computational with their office laptops and have decided to buy a PC for only gaming. This sort of a situation, they need to shell out 70-80 grands for a nice setup including a huge TV for use as a monitor.

But I bet 90% of people do not fall in the above category. We buy PCs for not just gaming but for a lot of other things as well. Even when a PC is too old to be able to play any games, its still usable for office work and other stuff. Many people use PCs for other non-gaming power computing tasks, like multimedia encoding or graphical design. A brand new gaming rig can easily last for 5-7 years this way with small incremental hardware upgrades (maybe RAID0 HDD setup or extra and/or faster memory and a cooler to OC). And more often than not, people buy a TV for use as a TV as well. You needn't add its cost to the gaming rig and even if you do, it doesn't hurt that much in the long run as its got a rather excellent life.

Finally the price of games. Just go to flipkart or letsbuy. You'll see plenty of games available for under 1k and many even under Rs. 500. Agreed that some are older titles but at the end of the day what matters is how awesome the game plays. Graphics are not the only thing. At such low prices with such awesome games and as many people said, the keyboard macro capability, VFM is maximum for PCs even if you buy games. And there are so many trials available for games. Good enough to provide single friday night entertainment.

3) For the Vendors - Consoles FTW!

Finally comes the vendor factor. Its kinda obvious that vendors find consoles highly favourable. Lot higher profit margins from the games. And very hard to pirate, and pirating blocks out online gaming which is where most console games are focussed on in the first place. Most gaming hardware is actually sold at a highly subsidised rate. Often its 20-30% below the manufacturing cost. This is because the cost is swiftly recovered through sales of games.

In comparison, despite there being a lot many PC gamers compared to console gamers, its the worst investment financially. Majority of PC gamers don't buy the games. This ends up in loss making figures for the industry because those who do pay much less compared to their console gaming peers. If everyone paid for games, PC gaming industry would've overtaken console gaming industry in terms of profitability due to numbers (less margin lot more sales). But today, consoles stand to rule.

The end effect of all this is that Vendors have started pushing out more and more console exclusive titles. But at the end of the day, the desperate gamer who can afford it gets any and every hardware he needs to run his dream game. The one who cannot afford it either finds *another means* or is doomed and needs a more affordable hobby.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
^^ I totally missed that. I guess thats what my article is in fewer words :)

BTW a console costs 20k and lasts 10years (I know thats too much, but with overlapping of generations also its a whole 5 years)
Each game costs 1500 2500 or 3500 bucks.

PC costs anything between 50k to 100k and last as long as the hardware ahead is not exponentially faster than the previous gen.
Each game costs: (with honesty) Nothing
If you pay its 500-1200(max)

As a result, more developers are shifting to the consoles. I am yet to see someone with both PS3 and an Xbox but I seldom see console gamers shifting to PCs and vice versa.

Last edited:
Oh and btw what I said was with respect to India.

Seems outside India games cost similar for both PC and Consoles. And percentage of console gamers is a lot higher than it is here. Finding a gaming console in an average US household you have about as much chance as finding a pothole in an Indian road. This is yet another reason why outside India consoles rule the world. Oh and there its not that big an investment to buy both a PS3 and an XB360 as in India.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Even outside Indian the console games are priced higher than PC. Its just that luckily for us the PC games prices are adjusted. The same hasn't been done for Console games which widens the price gap between them.
The most expensive PC game I saw on retail was StarCraft 2 for 3.5k

@gameranand: I was refering to the "real" world. I am sure there are people who own every form of gaming hardware.
Most of my friend have PS3 but recently the "kinect" has started gaining favour however mearge the number of titles for it are.

noob

Cyborg Agent
@ sarath : Are you a student or doing some job ? i have read your post and that amount is way too much to spent on gaming :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
BTW .. is multi monitor gaming possible is Consoles..??

Eyefinity can do 6 screen :d

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
^^ I totally missed that. I guess thats what my article is in fewer words :)

BTW a console costs 20k and lasts 10years (I know thats too much, but with overlapping of generations also its a whole 5 years)
Each game costs 1500 2500 or 3500 bucks.

PC costs anything between 50k to 100k and last as long as the hardware ahead is not exponentially faster than the previous gen.
Each game costs: (with honesty) Nothing
If you pay its 500-1200(max)

As a result, more developers are shifting to the consoles. I am yet to see someone with both PS3 and an Xbox but I seldom see console gamers shifting to PCs and vice versa.

i own both the (major) consoles, as well as a 'gaming' PC, and keep shuffling between consoles and the PC randomly, much more due to confusion than due to choice :???: :)) (for eg, i started BF3 on PC, shifted midway to X360 due to a glitch on PC version, finally got the solution to it, but still continued to play on the X360, finally finishing it on the console, and now due to play 'karkand' expansion pack on the PC that i got for free with the DVD, but only after re-playing from where i had left it on the PC to shift to the console. all this while, am, as always, supremely confused as to among the hopelessly long list of old and new games that are pending to be touched, which title to start with next, and on what platform - the PS3, the X360, or the PC ?! wow ! what a mess ! :blink: :grin:)

so you see, its not actually easy to decide which wall to bang your head on, without going bonkers first :wink: :razz:

Last edited:
OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
No use arguing over this.
PC is the ultimate champion.

Since both PC and Consoles are on market and have been for generations now, one thing is obvious, neither the PC nor the console has beaten the other, at least for now.

@ sarath : Are you a student or doing some job ? i have read your post and that amount is way too much to spent on gaming :)
Long time due but I'm a student and gaming is really very expensive for me. Parents never buy me games so it's all out of my pocket, a small pocket i.e.

so you see, its not actually easy to decide which wall to bang your head on, without going bonkers first :wink: :razz:

Same here, I find both the console and PC to fit cozily side by side. This generation the PC and consoles are overlapping a lot causing a lot of confusion.
Eg: Crysis 2, should I get it on the PC or the PS3? But Crysis was PC exclusive so it was a no brainer.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Since both PC and Consoles are on market and have been for generations now, one thing is obvious, neither the PC nor the console has beaten the other, at least .

First of all Current gen Pc hardware is years ahead of dating ps3 /x360 which strives to get even games with medicore visual running at max 30 fps at 720p. Only a handful of console exclusive games see the light of 1080p visuals and that too...upscaled.

For every multiplatform game available for both consoles and pc...pc always leads in performance and visuals....the.Total content available for pc is compartively larger than consoles(wont deny.console catalogue is quite large too and most modern games receive console release.)

Pc gets genuine love hardcore gamers and indie devs. lPc has the esential goodness of indie games.

tkin

Back to school!!
Play NFS The RUN on PC, no 30FPS cap.

Like a boss.
*4.bp.blogspot.com/_2fdwS3Y1VhU/TSzZcGzZ7fI/AAAAAAAAqTI/ZWOPPrFzElk/s1600/like_a_boss_28.jpg

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Total content available for pc is compartively larger than consoles(wont deny.console catalogue is quite large too and most modern games receive console release.)

"Total content available for pc is compartively larger than consoles(wont deny" i agree pc's can get MODS once game engines are released.something what consoles dont have

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
First of all Current gen Pc hardware is years ahead of dating ps3 /x360 which strives to get even games with medicore visual running at max 30 fps at 720p. Only a handful of console exclusive games see the light of 1080p visuals and that too...upscaled.

Gaming is not about the best hardware only. Same can be seen in how a Xbox 360 still sells more than the PS3 which has better hardware comparatively.

BTW Which is better has been argued over the many pages in this thread, I will refrain from it so.

To end it I would say, get both ;) PC and console.

I didn't realise there was a cap on frame rate on the PS3. Will have to replay again :mrgreen:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Like a boss.
*4.bp.blogspot.com/_2fdwS3Y1VhU/TSzZcGzZ7fI/AAAAAAAAqTI/ZWOPPrFzElk/s1600/like_a_boss_28.jpg

lol.nfs run was not even worth playing..sick most wanted clone...ea tried to brinvg back most wanted exp and fell on their face.
Btw it runs on frostbite 2.0 and there is no explanation reqd. for what its capable of as can be seen in bf3 ...there 30fps cap must have been a design choice not hardware or software limitation unlike consoles.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
One thing has to be said people who own a PS3 or Xbox 360 way back from 2008 are biggest benificaries. They could games to run without any change. While we PC gamers have had to move from Nvidia 8800 to the New ati 7000 series. We install uninstall so many softwares just to get few extra FPS in Battlefield 3. While consolers just made a one time investment and are still going strong. The soon to come Gta 5 will set new boundaries in minimum requirements(considering what Gta 4 needed)
the same old consoles from 2008 will run the game perfect while a pc from that time will.... :facepalm:

techbulb

eUREKA...
Well thats because new games are downgraded to run on consoles but are not downgraded for pc because companies want their new hardware to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom