PlayStation 3 vs Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
conspiracies?

Bro stop watching TV, it's harming you. You mean to say console sales outnumber PC sales 10 to 1 isn't a big factor? You mean to say it's nothing?

Oh wait, it's no point quarelling with you, because you won't agree. So i rest my case with you. Your opinions and my opinions separate.

Why are you picking a fragment of a paragraph and changing the context of what I have said...?

By conspiracy theory I meant, that game studios use sales figure as a deciding factor, not about the 10 : 1 ratio.

Till anyone in this debate can prove that it saves money for developers to back port limited features for PC code, I will not agree to the theory. Or any one who has worked on multi-platform scalar projects and can concur the same. As I mentioned before, it is not that "easy", as we all mention. A lot of effort and programming logic is applied when creating multi-platform code. Are we even sure, they are writing same code. It is not that simple. Any from a game studio here.

There are various other reasons why PC games come out as they are. People who say that consoles are reaching the limit, should read Sony's official statement about the PS3 being only tapped half. Why have they not released a refresh. See how KZ3 uses the PS3, you will understand what console development is. PC have been pushed to the limit when developers chose too. Crysis/Warhead did that. Metro2033 did that.

And it is extremely open-ended to say PC's being pushed to the limit. There are far too many combination and permutations for game developers to "push to the limits". When a CoD BO can run just fine and do the "job" , why should stuff be put in there that will give you 35 FPS and screen crawl. That is the biggest stick up PC gamers. Instead of playing the shooter and enjoying the game, they rather look at water, smoke, and alt-tab to see how GPU usage Riva Tuner is showing.

The underlying question is. Why do we get games on PC the way we do. It is quite simple. The developers want to give us exactly that. Not based on sales figures of the console. They know better than us that the job will be done using what ever effort they put into it. You really think if all games came out like Crysis/Warhead/Metro, suddenly PC game sales will go up. Ya right...........! Or will it cause sales of consoles to come out. Nopes. The cause and affect combination is grossly incorrect here.

You know from where PC gamers start to think like this. Cause we are eating right out of the hands of ATI/nVidia/Intel/AMD. They keep developing hardware which is miles ahead of the game studios. The real creativity (for games, not hardware) and onus is with game studios. The ratio of code : other activities of game development is set by them and they will not tweak it. But hardware device vendors sell it to us, and then we blame the game studios. They are doing their job quite well.

Comp@ddict: my TV viewing is ~30 minutes a fortnight.
I have given you various argumentative debates in my replies, and not getting personal like you are. Hope we can keep it this way. You are just stuck on sales vs. quality. If there is anything else which you can provide to support this, or your experience working with code,sales, multi platform porting, product life cycles then please bring it to the table. It is quite easy to sit back and comment on a macro level without understanding the nuances of micro metrics.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ comp@ddict

It somewhat gets difficult to understand whom you are quoting and whom you are not. :) Also add the handle ID when you quote. Thanks.

mitraark

Decrepit
The One thing that makes buying Gaming PC more sensible than a PS3 / Xbox360 [ Won;t mention Wii , Wii is a class of its own , no substitute ] , is something i cannot mention in this forum :D

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Dreams do become true sometimes and its not at all unrealistic to speculate.
You are not again getting the point. The whole point of this discussion wasn't about dx or open-gl being superior or something but more developers accepting open-gl as an alternate.

Yes. I would like to see that day too. But, I think, Sony is not the correct firm to do it. This has to first start from GPU vendors.

Also about dreams, yeah. No one knew Sony will be in console market before Sega denied Sony's optical devices in their Saturn.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
asingh said:
You know from where PC gamers start
to think like this. Cause we are eating
right out of the hands of ATI/nVidia/
Intel/AMD. They keep developing
hardware which is miles ahead of the
game studios.
I cant agree with you more :)

The Difference between the various Direct x's are not earth moving(atleast I feel it)
We do have Tessalation etc but still...the leaps and bound Pc games were ahead is starting to reduce :(
Even the C2 Dx11 patch effect has dissapointed many. Gameranand also said what is the use of having a more realistic effect of shooting in Water? Hardly any enemies hide in it.
the visual experience I had from Crysis 2 Dx9.0c edition was a lot better than many Dx10 games around . The Dx 11 makes walls more realistic. I seldom hardly stare at walls in the game. Whats the use?

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
You are just stuck on sales vs. quality.

a perfect reason, which you won't agree to no matter what.

I wont say anything further.

As I said, I'm already out of this discussion and, asingh, with all due respect, I honor everybody's opinions and your's included. Just that, we have differing views here, agreed?

And my intention was nothing personal. It was a joke you didn't grasp. Don't give it another name.

If that was a personal attack, my effort would make a rookie laugh.

the visual experience I had from Crysis 2 Dx9.0c editionn was a lot better than many Dx10 games around . The Dx 11 makes walls more realistic. I seldom hardly stare at walls in the game. Whats the use?

So true, tessellation is more like a joke to me right now you know. The water finally reacts to bullets LOL, finally physics apply in-game. For a DX9.0c game, they have done well.
Might I add, the custom HD Textures by some (EDIT)MaLDo(thnx cyborg) or some guy gives a better boost to the game's look than anything else. Try it once.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
Well actually the thing is we don't have a competition between DirectX and OpenGL. So the improvement is real slow IMO just like OS. MS don't have a competition so they spoon feed us and we take it.
asingh said:
You know from where PC gamers start
to think like this. Cause we are eating
right out of the hands of ATI/nVidia/
Intel/AMD. They keep developing
hardware which is miles ahead of the
game studios.
101% true. We are way ahead of consoles in terms of power yet we don't get that quality of visual. Why its simple hardware is progressing but DirectX and Open GL don't. They are stuck at where they are or the improvement is very slow. Developers don't give a damn to give us better visual because they want to make money which is right. They are not some kind of charity or something. If this has to change then we need competition like say in mobiles. Now mobiles are dirt cheap and their OS are improving because there is competition. In PC there is not.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
We still don't know if consoles are more profitable than PCs or vice versa? (Atleast I don't)
But what we do know is it is more profitable to go multi platform. You might argue that it has always been so but it is only now that we are seeing the trend. Every game I have bought for my PS3 until now has a cousin in the PC. Barring a few exclusives, there is just a thin line between them all.

It saddening to see everyone getting into the core specifications of each and the benchmarks that different systems throw up. Remember the Wii outsold both the next gen consoles, for a lot many years, although being only slightly more powerful than the PS2. Even on the PC every visit to Zapak shows me everyone hooked to CS or Dota and a few Wow and NFS games. Not the best graphics but fun; yes, huge dollops of it. Its the games that matter in the end. Even the PS3 for all the power that it had was plagued with no good games for years. The cell processor was a heptacore 3Ghz(one locked core) monster in the baby dualcore days.

It is irrelevant whats inside the box, what matters is what you see and experience. DX9, 10, 11 doesn't matter. If you actually own a console and a PC you wont find much of a difference. But if you did that means you haven't been concentrating on playing.

I would like all of you to atleast see once, if not play, not on youtube but on a PS3 the game called "Heavy Rain". It is till date the most visually detailed game I have ever played.
I haven't played Red Dead Redemption; the horses of which seems to have eaten millions of $$ to get to achieve realistic detail. Nor have I tried L.A.Noire which seems to have a lot of detailing too. I would like someone to make a fair comparison of them or any other games out there in the wild which come close or better these.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I just read the whole Piracy article on Tweakguide. It truly is an eye opener. Without any fear of getting caught everyone becomes a pirate.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
It is irrelevant whats inside the box, what matters is what you see and experience. DX9, 10, 11 doesn't matter. If you actually own a console and a PC you wont find much of a difference. But if you did that means you haven't been concentrating on playing.

I disagree. While its true the DX level doesnt matter, image quality counts.

Dont tell me that on Crysis 2 or metro 2033 you wont notice a difference when playing DX9 and DX11 one by one.

Even the casual eye will notice some changes.

This is what separates enthusiasts and hardcore gamers from the console and casual gamer crowd.

While many games don't show much change from console to PC, it is because the game is made for console first and then ported to PC >.<

Play Just Cause 2, a fairly lighter game. Many of its assets were built from scratch on PC. There is a significant variation between the console and PC version.

Game developers have become lazy. That is why we do not see progress.

But I think it would be fairly easier for them to port from PC to console, after all the game is made on PCs. Not to mention the promotional pictures that are shown, which contain much higher detailed assets than the actual game.I am not referring to in-game screenshots.

in case you didnt know, I own both an enthusiast PC and a PS3.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
@Extreme gamer: Have you read this article:
TweakGuides.com - PC Game Piracy Examined

I recommend that everyone who is participating in the discussion in this thread just has to read this article. It is difficult to find such excellent quality, unbiased piece on this subject.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
But i still think everyone here should read this article. If you read it you will understand why I brought up piracy in this.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@Extreme gamer: Have you read this article:
TweakGuides.com - PC Game Piracy Examined

I recommend that everyone who is participating in the discussion in this thread just has to read this article. It is difficult to find such excellent quality, unbiased piece on this subject.

Good article. Thanks.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Discussing piracy will dissolve all other topics here.

At the time of writing, most of the gaming platforms have been exploited i.e. their DRM cracked/ copy protection voided. Easiest of all PC, then Xbox 360, Wii (no idea)I heard they use propriety disks(?) and the relatively recent exploit of the PS3. All this means that the end user (pirate) pays only for the gaming system. So even on this ground they all stand equal for comparison.

Don't know when my next post will be so saying it now(again); Both of them are awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom