Photo Projects - Practical Approach

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I think it's possible, Sujoy. Shoot RAW, expose for Sun, adjust WB to get the pink tint (you can't always find the pink sky) - Check out prashant's work, you can find pink in pretty much all of his landscape work (no offense Prashant ;) ) and adjust exposure for the sky if you find it dark.

The first two in my set are shot at the same morning. I tried warm in one, and pink in another. But in this monsoon season, do you guys see Sun? It's been weeks since the last sunny day.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
I see sun here daily :D and even in mumbai sun is clear

Ok I will give one sincere attempt after going back to mumbai tomorrow..lets see

raja manuel

In the zone
Hmmm. These are the nearest that I have to that description.

Sunrise:
GoodMorning_zpsbae7aedb.jpg

Sunset:
CloudMarch_zps3aeeea94.jpg

raja manuel

In the zone
Are those yours? *www.americandetectorist.com/forum/images/smilies/mysmilies/shocked03.gif
Yes.

@raja the 1st one is matching..but not the 2nd one :)
If you look at the luminence histogram of that image (sunrise) you can see why it doesn't have many of the issues you encountered: it has a rather narrow dynamic range. The unclipped portion of the sun is approximately in the middle of the histogram, and most of the histogram peaks long before the highlight end. The foreground registers as a spike a little way from the shadow end, but the bulk of the image is middle to middle-right. Getting the sun in the middle of the histogram is possible only when its direct light is very low, such as when it is just peeking over the horizon, and its light is also lighting up the sky with close to the same intensity. There should be no visible clouds near the horizon or the sun's light will diffuse and you will lose the disk. Same applies for dust and pollution so shooting over the sea gives you an advantage if you are in a city. If there are clouds above you they can reflect sunlight onto the foreground and narrow the dynamic range even more.

To shoot that sunrise I walked every morning by the beach and timed the sun. From the time I saw the top edge of the sun appearing over the horizon to the time the bottom edge clears the horizon was less than 4 minutes. It's a narrow window but at least I didn't have to hang around long. Once the sun crosses the window it rapidly brightens and in just a matter of minutes it is one large diffused blown out highlight in the sky. How quickly the sun climbs the sky depends on your latitude I think, so you might have more time and more friendly light further away from the equator.

I obviously tried several times. I got a nice series of shots in January sometime after the rains ended when the air was clear, crisp, and cool and the beach was deserted. I guess a similar procedure in reverse should work for sunsets but I've never tried that as I'm on the east coast and cannot shoot over the ocean.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Can you guys use imgur or some other external image sharing. Cant see the pics by raja.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Was this like a flash sale .

Sujoy, will give your idea a shot this weekend. Although i feel that it needs to be an HDR shot made in Photomatix or something like that

raja manuel

In the zone
Wow!!! Raja. I am surprised. Oh boy!!! Finally.
I guess this is your first ever photographs you share with us in my four years in this forum.
:) I have posted a couple before. Yeah, it's not a large number but my score wasn't zero.

Can you guys use imgur or some other external image sharing. Cant see the pics by raja.

Same issue here... And I'd love to see the pics

I can't see them either. I used photobucket to post the images which works well for other forums – have no idea why they showed up this way (though they show up if I click on reply with quote). Can you tell me how you link images here so that they show up in the thread itself?

Here are the direct links if you still can't see them:
Sunrise:
*i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/pokeslow/Potluck/Shutterbug/GoodMorning_zpsbae7aedb.jpg
Sunset:
*i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/pokeslow/Potluck/Shutterbug/CloudMarch_zps3aeeea94.jpg

nac

Aspiring Novelist
:) I have posted a couple before. Yeah, it's not a large number but my score wasn't zero.
Oh, may be I couldn't remember them. Probably long ago... :)

I can't see them either. I used photobucket to post the images which works well for other forums – have no idea why they showed up this way (though they show up if I click on reply with quote). Can you tell me how you link images here so that they show up in the thread itself?
But the previous post seems like an attachment than a link.
In photobucket on the right hand side there are four links. The last one is "IMG", just click the link. It will be copied automatically, just paste link here (don't need to use insert image option). Like this

*i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/pokeslow/Potluck/Shutterbug/GoodMorning_zpsbae7aedb.jpg

*i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x458/pokeslow/Potluck/Shutterbug/CloudMarch_zps3aeeea94.jpg

nac

Aspiring Novelist
YES. Highly inactive. And with like button, we don't have to leave a line saying "I like it". I started seeing that option lately, I didn't see many photographs after that. I didn't even get to use that option much. :(

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
you guys are right..actually it happens like this but new guys come in with enthu and take the group ahead...
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] please start shooting :) you are one of the most active member and you post pics very rarely.

I will shoot something :) my valentine shoot didnt go that well else i would have posted it

Top Bottom