Petrol up by Rs 5 a litre; LPG up Rs 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
they and the people affected should spend their energy on finding ways to manufacture cheaper and more power effective electric vehicles instead of crying due to expensive fuel oils.
Till then, Bicycles FTW

Exactly,hw abt taking the middle path and promote hybrid vehicles until other alternatives become practical(ie decent speed,good looks,good dist covered nd vfm).Hope these hydrogen,fuel cars arrive soon.
Right now,bicycles definitely for small distances.

electric is better than fuel cells.

if you use electric vehicles, you can charge them with power, which is produced from fuel cells. This way, continuous supply of power can be ensured. If a problem arises with fuel cells, the core nature of the automobile neednt be altered. One can still use other sources to make electricity to run the vehicle.

But the biggest problem is battery that its life(for one full charge) is lesser right?.A fuel car when it reaches its maturity stage(in the development) should be able to travel lot more distance that electric vehicles.Pls correct me if i am wrong.Havent researched this topic,so was jst asking a doubt.

Last edited:
Exactly,hw abt taking the middle path and promote hybrid vehicles until other alternatives become practical(ie decent speed,good looks,good dist covered nd vfm).Hope these hydrogen,fuel cars arrive soon.
Right now,bicycles definitely for small distances.
I never said middle path or hybrid vehicles.

what I said is that almost any source of energy can be converted to electricity and this can be easily transported.

This means that weather you burn coal or wood, petrol or diesel, weather you use fuel cells or solar cells, the same vehicle can be powered.

But the biggest problem is battery that its life(for one full charge) is lesser right?.A fuel car when it reaches its maturity stage(in the development) should be able to travel lot more distance that electric vehicles.Pls correct me if i am wrong.Havent researched this topic,so was jst asking a doubt.
you are partially right and partially wrong.
battery technology is just not as over developed as fuel technology.
and, there is no reason you cant carry extra batteries in your vehicles. We can make battery system just like gas cylinder system - use and exchange.

And in case you didn know, most two seater cars spend a hell lot of money on each kilometer. Indica spends around Rs. 2-4 per kilometer. But the electric car, Reva, uses only 40 paise per kilometer. Electric scooters and bikes (all china made only available in India) spend 3 paise per kilometer to a maximum of 15 paise(the lower end models). Tell me, isn this worth it ?

Last edited:

Hrithan2020

In the zone
I never said middle path or hybrid vehicles.

what I said is that almost any source of energy can be converted to electricity and this can be easily transported.

This means that weather you burn coal or wood, petrol or diesel, weather you use fuel cells or solar cells, the same vehicle can be powered.

No the middle path was my suggestion.I was FTWing the bicycle suggestion.
Ur right that electricity can be produced in ne way,which gives the electric cars the adv. of flexibility in choice as long as it follows a particular std. compatible with these all.
But,what abt the battery life?Isnt that a major disadvantage.If u cant even travel long distances(100 km) with these cars on full battery,it won't be good,na.

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
LEFT RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

They decreased the cess by 5%..now we don't have to pay heavily for petrol..petrol to be up by 3 rs and diesel by re-1..way to go CPI-M..

Actually, they are playing Good Cop, Bad Cop. :D

Day1 - Govt.: We have to increase prices by atleast Rs15/litre to counter the losses.

Day2 - Govt. : Prices increased by Rs5/litre to reduce burden on people.

Day3 - Left. : Nationwide protests for decreasing the price rise.

Day3 - Goct. : OK prices to be increase by only Rs2.5/litre.

RESULT: Govt Happy, Left Happy and people Happy too(even if they are fooled) :D

And in case you didn know, most two seater cars spend a hell lot of money on each kilometer. Indica spends around Rs. 2-4 per kilometer. But the electric car, Reva, uses only 40 paise per kilometer. Electric scooters and bikes (all china made only available in India) spend 3 paise per kilometer to a maximum of 15 paise(the lower end models). Tell me, isn this worth it ?

And pray tell me, where will we get all this extra electricity from?

For a country which has power cuts and load shedding almost everywhere, Imagine what would be the situation in summer if all vehicles will start using electricity. Where will we get that much amount of coal ? :confused:

And what about pollution? burning such huge amounts of coal will ultimately result in CO2 increase :sad:

Even looking for alternate sources like hydel, wind power plants will take time. So till then its better to reduce consumption of petroleum products as a whole, by people themselves.

Time to start cycling now.:D

Last edited:

jal_desai

In the zone
jUST saw on Headlines today tht indian military does not have an alternative to oil... secondly, indian govt. does not have a backup mechanism.... What should we infer from this???

Why should I switch to cycles???? Why should anybody switch to cycles???? Why Indians have to put breaks on their desires and dreams... What is MY fault? What is anybody's fault???? were we stupid tht we gave our precious votes to someone who we tought would run this country and help us grow. Never...

and as iNFINITE said, it is really a Good Cop, Bad Cop thing...

Last edited:

karmanya

Journeyman
Honestly, this price rise was inevitable, oil and gas companies already make heavy losses. That is why there is no other company other than the government sponsered ones. Oil is so heavily subsidized, it's not even funny.
If the Indian government wakes up in time and puts proper public transport systems in place, we needn't need to use cars all the time. plus with the metro moving this fast along, things don't look that bad.
Honestly I think the fault is OPEC's, they refuse to lower prices.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Its coz of the bloody Us governemt...they have huge reserves of oil stored.. but still they keep on importing oil from the guld countries...and make no mistkae..US is one of the most fuel consuming nations..If the US had only made their oil reserves available..the rates would have plummeted back to 30 a litre...

their attacks on iraq are nothing but a ploy to destro the major oil producing nations in the world so that they can take complete monopoly when the fuel reserves go down the drain in a few years...

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
Why should I switch to cycles???? Why should anybody switch to cycles???? Why Indians have to put breaks on their desires and dreams... What is MY fault? What is anybody's fault???? were we stupid tht we gave our precious votes to someone who we tought would run this country and help us grow. Never...

Actually its a collective fault of all of us. As your siggy says, frequent price rises are the logical result of excessive usage of petroleum products all over the world. Take US for instance, people there use 4-wheelers which are fuel-inefficient(SUVs) a lot.

And vote for whichever govt. u want, they cant produce oil on their own. Even if OPEC countries are charging a lot, if the present consumption rate keeps on going like this and the cost is kept same, the oil sources would dry up in the next decade. Then OPEC, even with all their money ,wont be able to do anything.

jal_desai

In the zone
their attacks on iraq are nothing but a ploy to destro the major oil producing nations in the world so that they can take complete monopoly when the fuel reserves go down the drain in a few years...

if tht happens and if by tht time indian govt still remains sleeping as it has always been... then all be ready to PAY 1000 times more to the US thn we are giving it now...

praka123

left this forum longback
^add china to the list.

but my solution is different.ofcourse as @gowtham said,we may use Electric vehicles with batteries which can last atleast 500kms(in future).

anybody here using sodamaker:?: do you know that you have to exchange gas cylinder for a filled one when the gas is over?

In the same way,we should have batteries with very high efficiency and electric/hybrid vehicles which can if ran out of power(battery) ,can go to a road side charging station,usually along with the petrol/diesel pump to have his batteries (ex)changed for the charged one. a public corporation should own all the batteries.all NH,SH should get the battery charging points in the same way we have private LPG gas refilling stations spreading in Kerala :)

I hope this will materialize hopefully and most probably if a crisis comes :D

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Its coz of the bloody Us governemt...they have huge reserves of oil stored.. but still they keep on importing oil from the guld countries...and make no mistkae..US is one of the most fuel consuming nations..If the US had only made their oil reserves available..the rates would have plummeted back to 30 a litre...

+1
Once the fuel in the gulf countries are out, US will be the main supplier of fuel and we will have to pay the amount they demand. This could lead to a war... :|:(

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Just thought of telling this to some people who make erratic and wrong statements: Indian Govt. is NOT sleeping. They are doing practically everything they can to control the situation. Don't echo what the 'common man' on the street says 'Govt is sleeping'. The govt is NOT sleeping. You will be aware only if you watch financial news and markets.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^+1
The Govt wanted to increase the price by 17Rs/lt of petrol! They very well knew that if they hike the price by Rs17, then half the people in India would suffer because of the new prices. Its a good thing that they have increased the price by just Rs.5. This hike in price will not give any money to the Govt, its inevitable. Appreciate the governments move.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Its coz of the bloody Us governemt...they have huge reserves of oil stored..

Interesting theory.I agree,the iraq attacks was a ploy to gain control of fuel.Maybe,this is the reason why we are not seeing significant investments in alternative fuel resources from the US side.I personally think the current hike is triggered not by fuel shortage but by calculated strategies.IMO,oil will be available till at least 50 more yrs.But why wait,if there is a significant cohesive drive by the major developing countries for whom oil is crucial for economic growth,i believe significant inroads can be made within a decade itself.BTW,has ne1 read abt the abiogenic theory regarding the origin of oil?
Interesting 1,that..

harmik

Journeyman
why are all of u blaming govt here?
worldwide oil prices are about $135 dollar now. and arnd 2-3 years ago it was arnd $50.
govt gives u a subsidy of abt 17Rs on petrol, Rs23 on diesel and Rs300 on LPG cylinders.
so u shud b thankful in that regard...
oil companies are losing Rs300crore a day..!!!
so, fuel price rise was unavoidable.
this may help in ppl driving wisely and using fuel judiciously nw...

OP
sachin_kothari

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ buddy, do you know how much tax we pay in a litre of petrol?
The base price of petrol in Delhi is Rs 21.93 a litre and that for diesel Rs 22.45 while the retail price is Rs 45.52 and Rs 31.76 respectively. As much as 49 per cent of the retail price of petrol and 26 per cent in the case of diesel, it is important to keep in mind, is made up of central excise duty and VAT.

So isn't it ridiculous to claim that oil marketing companies are giving consumers a discount (under-recovery) of Rs 16.3 a litre of petrol when the consumer pays Rs 22.37 per litre as tax and duty to the exchequer instead?
Source

Last edited:

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
My 2 cents:

"People blaming the govt should first switch of their computers and get a life outside their monitors."

"People who question why they should switch to alternate sources need a knock on their head or they are just a spoilt brat with enough money pretending to care about the poor".

Reasons for above quotes:

First, if you have absolutely zero economic knowledge, then understand that price rise for anything in the world whether that be oil, food or even the clothes you wear, happens only when demand outruns supply.

Q. Why in the world will demand outrun supply?

A. That's because people need more than what oil is currently being produced.

Q. What does that mean?
A.
That means, more of you and me are using too much than what petroleum companies are able to dig out of the ground.

Q. Why can't they dig more?
A.
It's not your father's property to ask them that question and they are also not foolish enough to not dig for more when enough money is on the table.

Q. Then why don't they dig if they have the money on the table?
A.
That's because finding a new digging site or pumping out more is not done over a day. It takes months and by then, more demand and still lesser supply.

Q. Then how in the world can this be resolved?
A.
If you think making a hydrogen cell car or using alternate fuel sources is the answer, then you still need to switch of your computer and get a life outside the house.

Q. Why are you being so sarcastic?
A.
That's because you still think that you are the only one in the world with the brilliant idea of fuel cells and alternate energy.

Q. What are you trying to say?
A.
The point is, alternate fuel sources like hydrogen cell cars have been in the making for over a decade and it's still unfinished technology and yet to be implemented on a large scale by any manufacturer.

Q. Then why can't they just implement it with existing prototypes?
A.
Firstly, even if they implement it, you are certainly not going to buy one coz you'll have to sell all your organs to afford one.

Q. What's wrong with you?
A.
Nothing's wrong with me. The problem is, you think that technology like hydrogen cell car can reduce the oil price right away which is absolutely a big mistake. These technologies will certainly help reduce the dependency on oil but that is not going to solve the problem of the hour which is the surge in oil prices over the last 1 year.

Q. So, what the hell are you saying?
A.
Remember the part about demand outstipping supply? That's where we need to work on. Anything is the world becomes cheaper when there is lesser people buying it and more of it available.

Q. So, how's that going to help us?
A.
You still make me want to be sarcastic. Demand for oil is created by 'you' and 'me' and not by the government or the oil producing nations. It's because of your and my consumption that there is more demand. Because you still need more fuel to carry out your everyday chores and you're not willing to reduce your usage.

Q. What the hell do you expect me to do?
A.
Simple, reduce your consumption of oil and the prices will fall naturally. Use alternate methods that don't burn fuel if possible to do your daily work. Stop "bearing" the price hike and still fill your petrol tanks. Stop filling like you normally do. If you fill 3liters, fill only 2 now, because if you still keep filling 3 by bearing the price, you are not decreasing the demand.

Q. And you expect us to disrupt our normal life by doing that?
A.
Then stfu and stop cribbing about the prices. Honestly, how many times have to taken your bike to just go to the shop around the corner? How many times have you taken your car to visit the house at the next lane? How many times have your ever walked to your destination in your life? Seriously, if you stop using pertol for silly things, you will end up reducing your consumption atleast by 5-10 liters a calender month. Imagine if 1 person could reduce 5 liters by doing that in a month, how many liters would be saved by the billions of people using petrol and diesel every single calender month? Like then say, small drops make a waterfall or whatever that is. Since we are in billions, one small change by everyone can make a whole heck of a difference.

Q. What's the point? no one is going to do it.
A.
Stop talking and do something. Make a change. One person will inspire and another and so on the chain will continue. Else, your stubbornness will de-motivate another one and cause more problems.

Moral of story:
Stop critisizing the government or Oil producing countries. It's because of you and only because of you and me. So, if you ever want to see a change in the prices downwards, then only you can make the change, no government, no subsidy, no law can hold back demand outstripping supply. So, make the change, be the difference and stop cribbing!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
As for electricity there is Nuclear Fission. Successfully implemented

The USA has over 100 nuclear reactors providing almost 20% of its electricity. These have a high level of performance.

Make 500 more Nuclear reactors and get 100% supply. Transport all Nuclear waste to Space, they have NASA.. LOL !!! Well atleast sounds simple.
Besides that's why US wanted to give more nuclear power to India in that deal.

*www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf41.html

jal_desai

In the zone
There is no point in taking the side of govt... as it is it'll screw us whether we blame it or we butter it.... we elected them... every country should have a backup plan ... everybody has... we dont.. Who should create it???? Govt. It hasn't. Who'll pay for it???? WE... I WILL SAY FROM THE VIEW POINT OF A COMMON MAN FROM THE STREET. coz they are the ppl who suffer most.. We, the people give our 9-5 time for the development of the country.... DONT TAKE ME WRONG... I KNOW INDIAN GOVT JUST TAGS THE PRICE... BUT MY POINT IS IF IT KNOWS THT THIS PROBLEM CAN ARISE... IT SHOULD HAVE A FREAKIN CONTINGENCY PLAN... before blasting indian ppl every now and then with the hikes... they must use them if they have any... And they themselves say tht THEY DONT HAVE IT... this is a lame excuse... The Puppet.. i mean the prime minister himself confessed in his todays address to nation tht they have no option... They are showing us the BLOODY SYMPTOMS.... WE KNOW THT ALREADY... WE ARE ASKING THEM REASON and A SOLUTION????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom