PC vs PS3

Graphics is Awesome...???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Here we go again!

1st. you wrote that you need a xfps adapter to run use a mouse and keyboard on a ps3... so looks like you are contradicting what you yourself said .... that you know that **** and all that ass yanking ....
Either your reading skills are really poor or your not ready to understand what I'm trying to say. XFPS adapter is an additional accessory needed for mouse and keyboard support to actually customise 'A' particular game. When you said PS3 has "support" for HID devices, then it doesn't out rightly support keyboard and mouse out of the box configuration for gaming. Do you know how much pain it is to actually get these accessories to work properly with game and not to mention it's compatibility rate?

2nd. figures is all i can quote unless you can build a cpu based on xdr ram for less than 10,000 $ .....because xdr ram is nearly 10x cost of the current available FASTEST and most EXPENSIVE ddr3 ram per gigabyte
I specifically asked this was because this was all you had to show in defence and I don't see any strong results. Tell me before buying the console, do you see these specs and buy it or do you look at the exclusive titles and buy it? I for sure would go for the latter. I totally forgot, you were going to buy the console, correct? Tell me, are you planning to buy multi-platform titles for it which also come out on the PC?

I can talk about infinite possibilities of what a PC can churn out, but I know that it's already been done. Multiple monitor support for expanded resolutions, Stereo 3D gaming etc. You are just sticking to numbers and XYZ possibilities that PS3 "can" do, not has done.

3rd. tell me one thing if lcd screens did not have limitations why did they introduce V-SYNC? use your brains a little.....and for your info the lcd screen plays a major part in the image rendering... get a new sony
bravia engine 4 panel with 1gigabyte xdr ram and the new processing and use a old standard LCD same size... just notice the difference in the definition and the shades colours... etc... obviously ... since the ps3 is pre-rendering the frames your lcd screen plays a big part.... example.... when you play a game using a computer... your GPU already renders the full frame and sends it to your display... but it works differently in the playstation 3 ... AFAIK
You keep saying it works differently in PS3 over and over again. OK, I'll take it that everything works differently on this console. So you're saying even the brightest of the modern day LCD's aren't good enough for a PS3 to display it's 1080p resolution? *cough* 720p *cough*

WOW! Now this I need to really witness in a couple of years now.

4th. yes i know how cpu and gpu calculation work.... by processsing the game physics and other elements like shaders...shadows lightning HDR etc... and no i am not mixing up theories... also i would like to add that the ps3 rsx does not natively support shader models... so you get the point i hope... ? btw i checked about the GTA4 ..... and tell you what i noticed... the game developers are toooo god-damn lazy.. if they would have built and programed GTA4 with proper utilisation of the ps3 hardware... it would turn out to be 2times better than the pc .... btw... if you did not know apart from pc's where the process for game designing is fairly easy... the sdk of consoles are a world apart.... they are totally different algorithms ....ask some game developer... the games developed for the pc obviously fully optimize the processing power the pc has to offer... but they have not been able to do that with the ps3.. however if you compare some ps2 titles in their time you might understand that the ps2 was the big daddy of graphics horsepower because the developers were sucking every bit of the power to churn out out of the world gfx .. also the ps3 has potential your pc config can go max 58? .... the ps3 can churn out 120....but there must be some reason why they are not uncapping the fps ...
Wait so you mean to tell me you have actually spoken to game developer who has explained to you how complex game development for console is as opposed to PC coding? I thought the game developers try to optimise the maximum potential for consoles these days as opposed to PC. Case in point: All the busted console ports are just being dumped on PC. Except for Capcom and a few other developers who actually bother holding back their releases and optimise their games to realise the true potential for PC gaming. Haven't you read game developers interviews or heard them speak how PC development requires a lot of work and more detail goes into enhancing the graphical capability? It's because they know how it would look on it. So I don't see any excuse as to why game developers can't spend enough time on the console coding when it's now a major platform for their development.

Regarding you FPS query, PC can push frame rates of above 200+ but that's besides the point. PC has been there, done that. So PS3 has got some ground to cover before it plans to cross that barrier.

As for PS2, well even during it's time PC gaming was vastly superior in terms of graphical prowess as opposed to it. Xbox had better specifications when it released, than the PS2, however due to sh*tty title line up, it failed. PS2 had pushed the envelope of it's power with God of War I, II and Black. God of War had come out exactly after 4 years of it's console launch. Same goes for God of War 3 now. So let's wait and see how much envelope is pushed time time. From the preview, it looks stunning.

5th. i agree that the games becomes smoother at more fps... but on the ps3 do you feel that the game is jittery ?? the level of detail is high enough and it cannot go any higher than that for at least 2 years to come....
You to actually play on it to experience it.

6th. i suppose if i write on the packaging of the TV 1080p THIS IS 1080p yeahh !! no joking then it does not support FULL HD? according to what you mean to say...
I'm not talking about a TV. It's about the game's box. BTW on a TV it's mean that it can accept signals upto 1080p on the console games, it doesn't necessarily translate to the same thing. The box may say 1080i support, but in reality it's 720p. I don't think you're ready to understand what I'm trying to say. Anyway, here's a link that can enlighten you (hopefully!):
*forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Check out the list of titles which natively support 1080p and which games are rendered on lower resolutions on the console. I hope this clears your doubt now. You'll also understand why it's really sad that consoles that "may" be having the potential to raise the graphics bar, are being rendered at such pathetic resolutions.

and please use google... even the console owners and the game critics are cribbing on how badly the gta version of the ps3 is designed... please please... i pity you use your brains and GOOGLE
*SIGH* I don't think you get my point. It's been poorly optimised for PC as well. However, it looks and runs far better on the PC with all the customisations. It's not just GTA but pretty much every multi-platform title which has come out, looks and runs much better on the PC as opposed to PS3, FIFA being the exception. I don't see why no god dam game developer till now is trying to utilise all the spec power that you keep blabbering about. Is this a conspiracy theory?

@ otherz lol you drooling at my pc config?? ROFL..... there are guys out there running quad 4x HD 5990 and amd phenom II x4 overclocked to 8ghz.... and what 32gb ddr3 ram ?? hmm but then also they are not satisfied with the performance.. they want more... dunno why waise i was wondering what would be their electricity bill
I don't know of these guys you speak of and not sure how you concluded they are not satisfied with their specs, but the main moto of PC gamers is to get value for your money. I paid 12 grand for my card back when it came out and it still plays many of the titles properly. It's been 2 years now. I got it's worth and for the IQ it has provided with games, I'm entirely satisfied. I know what it's capabilities are and I appreciate that. So I'm not one of those cribathons who keep complaining of hardware being outdated with a few months of buying it.

and for your information i already know what upscaling means... and i think you need to read more and spend less time on the thread without adequate knowledge
*facepalm* Really? Then why do I have to keep repeating myself with the native and upscaling aspect of PS3's resolution?

also going upto resolutions more than 1080p is useles... unless you have a 10meter x 10 meter screen.... on which you can blow up every single pixel and detail it remains useless regardless of what processing power the gpu has OR NOT ... it is the same thing as owning a Ferrari but having no place to drive it .... whereas the other guy has a lancer evo X fully modded faster acceleration and drifting.. so he wins... and he can use his car everywhere...
You can easily make out the difference even on a measly 24 inch screen with full 1080p support by looking up close on it. Try it when you get the PS3 and you'll notice what I'm talking about.

BTW the analogy is flawed. If you run try to "upscale" a 720p based game, you won't be too happy with the result on a very large screen. I think you'll understand the concept once you get the console and play a multi-plat title like Modern Warfare 2 on both platforms and then tell me which is superior and crisp.

also i am in no mood to argue just for the sake of arguing and declaring who is better... the thing is that i represent what is right and correct.... so if you think the pc wins hands down close the issue and call it a tie ... at least that's what i would do ... no hard feelings i hope ?
Likewise, but I resented the tone with which you started the argument and frankly it was getting a bit irritating. You need to experience it first hand before passing a judgement. I'm not trying to win a battle here, I'm only presenting the truth. But obviously you are just trying to put across what the PS3 is "capable" of doing and not what it has done. So at this point, I don't see on what basis you even have to push this argument further. I can speak of endless possibilities of what PC could do, but I don't want to make bigger claims that I would have to eat my words out later on, when the whole spec talk got wasted to nothing.

If you think that I'm against the PS3 or a blinded PC fanboy, then you couldn't be more wrong. I have experienced this first hand and letting you know from personal experience. If you still don't want to accept it, then it's you're call. I admire the PS3 for it's exclusive titles and had it not been for them, I wouldn't have even bothered buying the console. I can bet you every single title which is currently available for the PS3 can easily be made for PC as well. So it's not like the PS3 is some godly machine in which the exclusives made for it, can only work on it.

also they cannot push 120 fps because there is no true 120 hz refresh rate LCD.... maybe if you wait a year or 2 we will be seeing what the ps3 is really capable of..
I'll wait, just like I have been doing for the past 4 years or so now. It's time for me to get the console, let's see what barrier it would cross.

dude have you ever played cs 1.6? have you seen the frame rate?? ? it remains constant and goes down max by 1 fps ex... fps_max 101 in console would give 101-100fps.... not below 100... on a fairly average system...
Never been interested in that game. Can you tell me what was the point you were trying to put across?

and as far as wiki is concerned all the entries people post are checked if the guys think something is wrong there is written citation needed.......
I can edit an info in it right now and you won't even know what I changed unless you go through it completely and re-edit it.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
okay... well as far as the figures are concerned maybe you can go here and check..
also i meant that the ps3 natively supprts all HID's i was not talking about games, i think i mentioned that the support for the keyboard and the mouse is developed by the game developer....

wikipedia..

" Performance
Initial clock rate at 400 MHz. 600 MHz, 800 MHz with 1066 MHz planned for the future.
Octal Data Rate (ODR): Eight bits per clock cycle per lane.
Each chip provides 8, 16, or 32 programmable lanes, providing up to 230.4 Gbit/s (28.8 GB/s) "

so that is roughly 25gb/s per lane.... now assume even if you have 2 lanes that is 128mb xdr x2 that means 50gb/s... roughly 500gbit/s bandwidth...

the point i am trying to make is that till 2 years until xdr ram platforms are available for the pc .... the ps3 is the king of the hill in the gfx department...also obviously i check the titles available for the console and the processing power....

at max ddr2 ram @ 1200 mhz turn out 8gbit/s per gigabyte of ram... so you see the difference

secondly what i mean to say is that there is a world of difference in how the ps3 displays images and your pc does... so you agreed to that what i want to add more is that the bigger the buffer for the shaders and lightning etc... and the better the image processing unit the better graphics the ps3 will churn out ....

thirdly i have not spoken to any game developer but as i have read and talked to many people, generally the designing of the game physics and graphics is based on c++ and engines.... what you need to understand is that the amount of money game developers make for a pc title is 10 times what they make for a console title... so for every console game they publish they spend more amount of money... and get less returns... that's why... also the quality of the game depends pretty much on the programmers and developers... like this game for the ps3 could do 16x MSAA with 60 fps @ 1080p tell me a card below 10 k which can do that for the same game.... so you understand... there is a lot of difference for all the game developers might say... it is fairly easy to design the games for a pc.... and i agree that since standard gpu's have different ways of processing gfx... the work required is more but they can get higher results also....plus you dont seem to think about the point that the gpu technology does not evolve so fast. like shader models... direct x have been there for ages..... but the hardware in a ps3 is totally different ofcourse i dont mean to say that it does not have shader models... but the libraries and access restrictions are totally different...

fourth as far as fps is concerned why dont you find me a rig which runs cod modern warfare 2 @ full settings with 4 displays at 200fps ?? dude it aint about just the fps... since you mentioned the fps i gave a suitable arguement in defence

fifth if you are using a good lcd panel see the difference when you get close... the smaller the panel and the higher the pixel / area density the sharper the image rendered will be.... so i mean to say that the current gpus pushing res over 1080p ... until you dont have such a big display whats the use....

sixth about the cs 1.6 fps thing i wanted to prove that how stable the fps is even for multi platform titles... you can get easily 100fps stable on a pc as well as on the ps2 which runs half life ...

seventh yes i know about the i/p thing.... what i am saying is that if a game box says it is 1080p then i suppose the game developers are not people who will write that if the game does not support that resolution ?>

eight yes i am gonna buy a ps3 and lemme say what you say is right or wrong i am going to get killzone 2 ucnharted 2 and maybe dirt2 [ cross - playform title ] maybe i can compare the game play with my pc ... then let me get back to you...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
eight yes i am gonna buy a ps3 and lemme say what you say is right or wrong i am going to get killzone 2 ucnharted 2 and maybe dirt2 [ cross - playform title ] maybe i can compare the game play with my pc ... then let me get back to you...
This is all I'm asking for before you even pass a comment on PC's capability. As you can see, I'm clearly not interested in numbers. As an end-user, all I expect is the IQ and the performance of the game to be up to the mark. If you're getting Dirt 2, then make sure you get the PC version too and crank it up to the maximum setting on your PC and tell me how crisp the detail look compared to the PS3. Also which monitor are you currently using? At least we know what kind of real estate we're dealing with.

I'll possibly be getting mine (PS3) in a couple of days as well. So really excited to play Heavy Rain and Uncharted.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
hmm m currently using a samsung 19incher it is 920nw ... and a lcd that is LG with s-ips panel

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

what screen are you using ? if possible play ps3 on a 32inch Full HD display... and play the same thing on a 37inch display you will see the difference in crispness of the game...

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^Whoa...i didn't know this thread will get so much hotter...

PC : 28 points as above.....

@ NoasArcAngel : hey pls check dat when PS3 was released (2005) & u know very well moore's law...
so wats the point in PS3 support...everybody knows PC is better than PS3 if u dont hate the bulkiness or space constraint...

the ultimate PC can do anything & even by large margin...

Nithu

I'm in 3D Grafix world!!!
@Ethan_Hunt & @NoasArcAngel
thanks both of you :clap2:... my brain is filled with very good information... and i'm still using 7800GTX, yea its the most amazing graphics card ever:glass-jumping:...

BTW PC FTW :flamewar:...

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
yea... guys i think we call it a tie?? for today at least. lol i cant believe i am saying this, it sounds like a moron who just beat moore at his laws of physics :p .the greatest drawback of technology is also it's greatest plus point. :-o:-o:-o

also for the rest.... nithu the ps3 core is a 7950gx2 core ... so be a little proud you can hold your head higher, in glory for some time to come.

yea pc fanboys, looks like the time of the ps3 is over... and hopefully sony makes a revolutionary console which keeps up with technology in pace and ahead of time...

BTW you guys checked out God Of War III ??? looks like the ps3 is gonna have another bashing console port, sorry pc fanboys... this one ain't for you :evil:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
It wasn't about winning or losing anything in the first place, at least not for me. All I care is we all learn something out of it. These versus threads usually have a rather aggressive effect and this is the only reason why I try to avoid them. But all is well that ends well. So I guess we can all go back to what we do best, GAME! :smile:

*heads off to play Mass Effect 2*

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
yes... and i found some really interesting articles you might wanna take a loot at for everyone who read this thread this is a must..

source 1 :

*www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/haynes-killzone-2-not-close-to-maxing-out-ps3.html

source 2

*www.qj.net/qjnet/news/crysis-to-take-full-advantage-of-ps3s-power.html

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

yea i also i agree it ain't about winning or losing unless we get to exchange information and keep our grey matter ready for any such debates about who's who of who :d ...

hmm i need to study .. class X boards...zzz sad

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^*clears throat* PS3 produces superb quality games like KZ2 and U2, I mean, the devs. of Phucin' Sony CE. There is so much hype 'bout GOWIII sayin' it's THE best graphics one has ever seen, what the hell!? Did they ever play Crysis? Anyway, PC is the absolute winner, if you see from all sides. It's the only platform in which games are better than real-life, don't get me wrong here, understand what I mean. It can do every-Phucin'-thin' you want it to do. Can PS3 do printin' work? Create docs. for ye'r Class X examination papers? What it can do is only game and game. And game. I know 'bout that Linux and all that sh*t. 20K for just gamin' ain't worth the money. Just as Ethan said, my PC too is an old PC which can play BC2 with max settings and get 45-60 fps and it's miles better than the graphics of PS3 or X360.

The hell!? I didn't mean to start an argument again. NoasArcAngel, read for ye'r exams, boi! Don't make your temp. go high. You can argue all you want in 2013 when PS4 arrives. Praisin' it's "greatness" but, PC will have Windows 8 or 9 with DX12 or DX13, which will again kick PS4's a$$! :wink:

Goodbye.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
man you win.....:evil: i loose ........ i am not falling into the ps3 trap anyways... nvidia got beaten bt ati pretty badly... so best of luck with that fanboy... :p

trivisingh

Broken In
Well I have a PS3 as well as an Alienware Laptop for PC Gaming, and I play games on my LCD TV with both of them, even the PC games. Now I love both my PS3 as well as my laptop for gaming and I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other, But I can definetly vouch that the graphics on the PC games are much better than the PS3. Almost all of the PS3 games run at 720p resolution and the textures used in the games are somewhat low res, but on the PC the graphics are pin sharp when run at 1080p resolution. I have played games like Batman Arkham Asylum and Resident Evil 5, and the graphics were definetly better than the PS3 version.

Having said that, I would say that nothing could beat the PS3 as an inexpensive gaming solution and at the end of the day I enjoy gaming on the PS3 as much as I enjoy it on the PC, especially the PS3 exclusive titles (waiting desperately for GOW 3....), but if a game has both a PC and a PS3 version, I would definetly go with the PC one, provided the port is good.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Well I have a PS3 as well as an Alienware Laptop for PC Gaming, and I play games on my LCD TV with both of them, even the PC games. Now I love both my PS3 as well as my laptop for gaming and I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other, But I can definetly vouch that the graphics on the PC games are much better than the PS3. Almost all of the PS3 games run at 720p resolution and the textures used in the games are somewhat low res, but on the PC the graphics are pin sharp when run at 1080p resolution. I have played games like Batman Arkham Asylum and Resident Evil 5, and the graphics were definetly better than the PS3 version.

Having said that, I would say that nothing could beat the PS3 as an inexpensive gaming solution and at the end of the day I enjoy gaming on the PS3 as much as I enjoy it on the PC, especially the PS3 exclusive titles (waiting desperately for GOW 3....), but if a game has both a PC and a PS3 version, I would definetly go with the PC one, provided the port is good.

+1 for above comment....

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
but dude he is using a alienware.... ALIENWARE.... what performance ratio do you expect with that of your new computer? even my 6 month old pc beats the hell outta your pc....
anyways i think we ended the discussion and called it a tie

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

my pc specs :
AMD phenom II x4 955BE
MSI-785G E-53
Corsair xms 3 1600mhz 4gb DDR3
XFX HD 5770 [ yea i changed my gfz card <3 ]
Transcend 20gb SSD
Seagate Velociraptor 320gb x 2 RaiD
Cooler Master Gladiator
Corsair VX 550

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

but dude he is using a alienware.... ALIENWARE.... what performance ratio do you expect with that of your new computer? even my 6 month old pc beats the hell outta your pc....
anyways i think we ended the discussion and called it a tie

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

my pc specs :
AMD phenom II x4 955BE
MSI-785G E-53
Corsair xms 3 1600mhz 4gb DDR3
XFX HD 5770 [ yea i changed my gfz card <3 ]
Transcend 20gb SSD
Seagate Velociraptor 320gb x 2 RaiD
Cooler Master Gladiator
Corsair VX 550

To whom ur comparing my PC.....:?
yuck my current system is not comparable....
& i dont know whether my coming system will beat ur system or not :-(

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
yes i was talking about your coming system....

btw why are you building an intel platform?? for the same price/performance ratio you can get a much better ddr3 based pc with a quad core top of the line ati processor under 45k excluding screen?? sad why people choose intel.... i would rather invest the extra money you kept for a core i5 and get a HD5850 and new psu with a proper cabinet

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

yes i was talking about your coming system....
btw why are you building an intel platform?? for the same price/performance ratio you can get a much better ddr3 based pc with a quad core top of the line ati processor under 45k excluding screen?? sad why people choose intel.... i would rather invest the extra money you kept for a core i5 and get a HD5850 and new psu with a proper cabinet

I read good reviews on Core-i5 & suggested by other members dats y....
& its better than C2D afaik....

i dont know the amd quad core proccy....comparison...:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.