PC vs PS3

Graphics is Awesome...???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I hate digging this thing up over and over again, but let me see if I still got some air left in me to do this one more time.

Kindly don't take this as a flame post, but rather some points to actually reflect upon when trying to compare a PC against a console.

NoasArcAngel said:
probably ps3 has a better hardware configuration than a 80k pc easily because
Really? If you're counting the PS3's Cell processor compared to any current desktop processor then may be YES. However, if you look at the RSX GPU, then my HD4850 could wipe the floor with it. The design is based on Nvidia's NV47 architecture which was in conjunction to 7800 series cards line up. You can compare the specs between the two if you would like. The PS3 would measly have a 250GB HDD in it and if you compare it to a 80k PC, then it could easily have 2TB HDD in it. If you add-in rest of the components for a PC, then a PS3 wouldn't be near it.

NoasArcAngel said:
1.ps3 uses 512mb xdr ram so that is like ddrx ram .....not available for normal pc's
OK, point being?

NoasArcAngel said:
2.ps3 uses the cell broadband exngine which is basically a sort - of - new design architecture by IBM giving 6 physical cores with direct access to a huge amount of cache running on the same BUS.. so the probable output of the ps3 is likely same as that of the HD5980 / 5970 ...nearly 6 teraflops /second when you overclock the ps3 a little
That's the CPU output and we all know that a powerful CPU alone is not enough to pull off everything.

NoasArcAngel said:
4.currently the games for the ps3 hardle utilise more than 60% processing power .... whereas when they reach the full limit the pc is gonna suck his mobo outta power beacuse of the awespiring gfx and physics.
Do you know the currently released games aren't even true 1080p in nature? and that includes Uncharted 2, the almighty Killzone 2 (which runs at 30fps capped) and even MGS 4 doesn't provide native 1080p support. And NO, upscaling doesn't count as it's not rendering the frames at that resolution but merely strecthing the screen. I'll come to this point later on.

NoasArcAngel said:
there is still atleast 3 years time when you will be able to buy a pc within 20k to run the recent games on 1080p with 60fps constant and full AA .AF etc...
the ps3 for the performance factor is 10x more economical than a pc
My PC is over 2 years old now and it still handles native 1080p resolutions perfectly, with AA. Also there are very few games on the PS3 itself which are natively 1080p running at 60fps constant. I can only recollect Ninja Gaiden Sigma and it's sequel, off the bat. Rest everything is either at 720p or lower.

NoasArcAngel said:
3. the ps3 has inbuilt support for plug and play usb devices... so you have no problem playing games like killzone 2 etc with a mouse and keyboard...
also the support for usb HID devices is built by the game developers and not sony... the ps3 natively supports all HID devices
WOW! Really? I didn't know that. I'm getting my PS3 Slim in some time, so let me try plugging in my USB keyboard & mouse directly to these "USB" port you speak of and blast away in Killzone 2. WRONG! There is only one way to get the USB keyboard and mouse working on a PS3 and that is to use a XFPS adapter (costing $99) and currently having support for UT3 and Resistance and not all the games. So if you have any contradicting source which states that you can directly plug the mouse and keyboard and play all the games, then pray I would like to know more about it.

NoasArcAngel said:
lastly .... when you compare the ps3 to the pc as a media hub... it is THE gawd...
-ps3 has native hardware support and decoding for formats like divx ...
-ps3 which has been hacked by geohot .. the famous reknowned hacker of the iphone has allowed him to run his own kernels and execute his own commands over the ps3 engine... thus enabling him to install operating sytems like xp etc.... just imagine with that processing power ... the ps3 has unlimited potential
A mid range PC can do all those stuff and much more and allow multiple OS installations. Video decoding for Divx is done even by my 3 year old Divx player. Does the PS3 natively support .mkv files? Nope everything needs to be converted to .mts format to be played in high definition.

Now let me post my personal experience with consoles and you can either accept it or ignore it. I have played on the 360 as well as the PS3 and believe me there is hardly any difference on both consoles when it comes to majority of console only titles. Now when I play multi platform titles on the PC and their true resolution and then on console, console versions feel like sh*t. I remember getting Modern Warfare 2 on the 360 when it initially came out and then trying it on the PC. Believe me, the console version was absolutely jaggy, low texture resolution and not even close compared to the PC version.

Have you ever heard the term "dumbed down console ports?" I bet you have. There is a reason why PC gamers say this. It's because a lot of developers focus so much on console optimization that while bringing it to PC, they keep the same console like features on it. Take GTA IV for example, a classic case of a good game port gone bad, same with Bully. Halo 2 as well suffered the same thing. FIFA 2009 and 2010 for PC are friggin' PS2 ports and you can see the console versions shine more than the PC version.

I'm not against consoles. In fact, I have the 360 and soon will get my PS3 too. So it's not that I enjoy trashing them, but if you have played on a good PC with highest settings, then you would easily know why PC resolution triumphs in every way. Not YOU, nor anyone else can deny this fact. You can ask anyone on this forum and they will let you know how PC versions are usually the superior quality ones. The biggest fear when Crysis 2 was announced for consoles was that the PC version would be "dumbed down" if they focus their attention on console version, instead of PC.

quan chi

mortal kombat
^^ethan my dear dude.why making your fingers pain.thats why after posing once in this thread i never visited here.

no offence to anyone.
but ethan you will be amazed to know that even some experienced game critic interviewed by ign or gamespot (i dont remember correctly) at the time of e3 best game winner or something like that event.
that guy was asked why not much games are comming out for pc.i was amazed to hear even he was supporting ps3.

i cant type all those comments.but it was clear that it was purely business oriented to deceive...well..to whom...lets guess.:D

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
oh..... ethan ....dude ever heard about wikipedia ?? o_0..better read there and tell me :

source quoted from wiki :

" Most commercial USB controllers are compatible with the PlayStation 3 as it supports standard USB human interface devices. This includes gamepads, joysticks and steering wheel controllers. A limitation of this is that not all such controllers provide the same range of inputs as a Sixaxis/DualShock 3 controller (fewer buttons or joysticks for example), so may not be practical in all games. When any such controller is used with games which require sixaxis functionality or the use of the analog buttons usability is also limited. A lot PlayStation 2 games which were programmed to use the analog functionality of the PlayStation 2 controllers buttons will not accept non-analog input therefore Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controllers must be used (though this could potentially be solved with future firmware updates)."

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

dude secondly do you even know what is the bandwidth of xdr ram .... probably the normal fastest desktop ddr3 / ddr2 ram you use sucks ass with about less than 8gigabit/ second bandwidth ... xdr ram can go all the way upto 20gigabits /second .and clock speeds of 6ghz .. also its internal bandwidth is about 50gigabits/ second..actually the xdr ram is GDDRx/ ddr8 in theoritical terms (x = more than 5 faster than HD 5990's ram )

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

also add the fps delivered by the ps3 is part responsible beacuse of your lcd screen which limits it due to processing power... if you wait for the new generation lcd panels with 1 gigabyte xdr ram processors and intel based mobo ... you see how the ps3 sucks the **** out of any pc .... about ati 4850 and rest cards... the pci x16 lane limits your bandwidth... to the card... howeever since the ps3 is running on a single BUS it has nearly unlimited bandwitdh supply in theory... it is only bottlenecked by its basic hardware and clocks speeds

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

and also please... for gods sake read somewhere you post about the " CPU powerful my ass it cannot do anything " you know why sony put 2x 6800ge force ultra's ? beacuse more than 70% of processing is done by the cpu core ...

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_accessories

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

i am currently running a mid range pc config ... and it compares nothing to the ps3 ...
i am running :

- amd phenom II x4 955 be
- msi 785g e53 mobo
- 4gb ddr3 ram xms 3 1600mhz
- 500gb hdd x 2
- sapphire HD 5770
- corsair vx 550
- cooler master galdiator

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
zzz also going over 30fps makes no-sense because the eye cannot see any difference above that .... and moreover the LOD is useless for the pc eye-candy...

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

man i am just trying to open his mind ... pc freaks are so narrow minded even i was once in the past LOL..... when i had a new pc.... but i noticed you cant keep up with the pace that technology evolves... so for once you need to accept someone is better than you

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 AM ----------

well in case you did not know these are the titles which support full 1080p :

Upcoming PS3 games that support 1080i/p output:
Blacksite: Area 51 (11/5)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (11/5) (rumored to support 1080i)
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War (demo 720p) (11/6)
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (11/6)
Assassin’s Creed (11/13)
Beowulf (11/13)
Need for Speed ProStreet (11/13) (demo 720p)
Soldier of Fortune: Payback (11/13)
WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008 (11/13)
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (11/19)

PS3 games that support 1080i/p output:
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
NBA 2k7
NBA 2K8 (demo 1080, full version unconfirmed)
NBA ‘07
NBA ‘08 (Demo, full version unconfirmed)
College Hoops 2K7
Sonic (Native 720p, but will display 1080)
Gundam Wing
Ridge Racer 7
Virtua Fighter 5 (Native 720p, but will display 1080)
Tekken DR
NBA Street Homecourt (Native 720p, but will display 1080)
Virtua Tennis 3
MLB 07: the Show
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Rainbow Six Vegas (note- apparently it looks terrible- improper scaling bug)
The Darkness
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Transformers: The Game
All Pro Football 2k8
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Warhawk
LAIR
Skate
Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (Demo and Full)
Clive Barker’s Jericho (Demo and Full)

Downloadable PS3 games:
Blast Factor
Cash Guns Chaos DLX
Go! Soduku
Grand Tourismo: HD
flOw
Q*Bert
Super Rub a Dub
Mortal Kombat II
Gauntlet II
Calling all Cars
Rampage
Joust
Rampart
Championship Sprint
Go! Puzzle
Super Stardust HD
Home (Beta) (before latest update)
Piyotoma
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
Pixel Junk Racers
LocoRoco Cocoreccho!
Grand Tourismo: Prologue (JP Demo)

so i guess you are wrong please use google next time ?? and dude forget the discussion i think i have enough evidence to prove my point about ps3 being better than a pc .... graphically..... not in any other way .... at least for now

source : *www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/11/05/list-for-ps3-games-with-1080i-1080p-output-hdtv-support.htm

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

also are you trying to add that your pc can run crysis / UT3 @ 1080p all settings full with 30fps + constant ?

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

also no offence.... i am not someone who will argue without a reason... just make sure you know enough before you post about it ...

cyborg47

Technomancer
also are you trying to add that your pc can run crysis / UT3 @ 1080p all settings full with 30fps + constant ?

all settings full?!?..as if the consoles can do that..
PC's graphics win any day!

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

but when it comes to games, i think there are no games on PC or xbox 360 as good as the exclusive games on PS3...

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
all settings full?!?..as if the consoles can do that..
PC's graphics win any day!

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

but when it comes to games, i think there are no games on PC or xbox 360 as good as the exclusive games on PS3...

well consoles cannot run at full settings but you see many things like the textures and shaders some part depend on the display you are using ... for example as i mentioned before... the new HDTV panels will be having 32-bit processing with 1 gbit xdr ram and a new architecture based on the intel p4 series... so the tv's will be able to load bigger and better frames... resulting in more detail

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

but eventually after a certain level i mean it makes no difference since the eye can only see a specific level of LOD - level of definition that is a certain amount of definition in a certain area, so building games with higher definitions than what the eye can see are useles... like crysis ... it is a benchmark for performance.... it is not something visually appealing because if they programmed killzone 2 on the same engine and same LOD it would look like crysis in terms of visual quality... unless you can increase your eye's LOD>..

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

@ cyborg i was just looking at your signature .... 800ghz ram ?? rofllll

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

well as far as the games are concerned at running at 30fps..... this is because they use motion blur .... motion blur is the same thing as 60fps .... but runnning a game at 60fps would actually require half the amount of processing power than motion blur ... so thank the ps3 game developers for making the graphics real to life .... also about hardware the developer of ps3 said that it is capable of running games at 120fps.... yes 120fps .... ooh..... pc fanboys.... loooks like the heat is on....
*www.gamespot.com/news/6136786.html

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
oh..... ethan ....dude ever heard about wikipedia ?? o_0..better read there and tell me :
Just one quick question? Do you think I was born yesterday and was yanking this stuff out of my arse? I know what Wikipedia is and guess what the information in there is uploaded by normal people like us and if you're using only that website as your reference then I'd suggest you better start using Google search.

source quoted from wiki :
" Most commercial USB controllers are compatible with the PlayStation 3 as it supports standard USB human interface devices. This includes gamepads, joysticks and steering wheel controllers. A limitation of this is that not all such controllers provide the same range of inputs as a Sixaxis/DualShock 3 controller (fewer buttons or joysticks for example), so may not be practical in all games. When any such controller is used with games which require sixaxis functionality or the use of the analog buttons usability is also limited. A lot PlayStation 2 games which were programmed to use the analog functionality of the PlayStation 2 controllers buttons will not accept non-analog input therefore Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controllers must be used (though this could potentially be solved with future firmware updates)."
Did you even bother reading this bit? It supports USB devices which was done even by a 9 year old PS2. So don't give me that sh*t that this technology is something new to the consoles. In practicality, if you connect a USB mouse and keyboard, then it won't turn into a PC and start playing all that the games. Do you know why? Because it's not designed for a f*ckin' WSAD configuration, that's why.

dude secondly do you even know what is the bandwidth of xdr ram .... probably the normal fastest desktop ddr3 / ddr2 ram you use sucks ass with about less than 8gigabit/ second bandwidth ... xdr ram can go all the way upto 20gigabits /second .and clock speeds of 6ghz .. also its internal bandwidth is about 50gigabits/ second..actually the xdr ram is GDDRx/ ddr8 in theoritical terms (x = more than 5 faster than HD 5990's ram )
All I see is figures which you can keep quoting for ages, what I need is results.

also add the fps delivered by the ps3 is part responsible beacuse of your lcd screen which limits it due to processing power... if you wait for the new generation lcd panels with 1 gigabyte xdr ram processors and intel based mobo ... you see how the ps3 sucks the **** out of any pc .... about ati 4850 and rest cards... the pci x16 lane limits your bandwidth... to the card... howeever since the ps3 is running on a single BUS it has nearly unlimited bandwitdh supply in theory... it is only bottlenecked by its basic hardware and clocks speeds
What the f*ck are you talking about? LCD screen limitation? Do you even know how frame calculation works? The PC cards are can handle true resolution of 2560x1536 and the PS3 is capped at 1080p output. Most of the games keep upscaling their 720p designed frames and it's not an LCD limitation, but a developer choice. Have you seriously given it some thought or your just copy-pasting numbers and mixing random theories off websites?

and also please... for gods sake read somewhere you post about the " CPU powerful my ass it cannot do anything " you know why sony put 2x 6800ge force ultra's ? beacuse more than 70% of processing is done by the cpu core
Do you know what calculation CPU does? and how important a GPU is in tandem to it? Complex graphic calculations at the end of the day is to be rendered by the GPU. Tell me how GTA IV runs on the PS3? Have you even played that game on the PS3? Ask a PS3 user. If the CPU does most of the work, then in that theory, it should run at 60fps easily. That game has so much texture rendering, shadow detailing, independent AI behaviour calculation etc. This could have been easily taken care of with your Cell processor, then what went wrong?

[/COLOR]i am currently running a mid range pc config ... and it compares nothing to the ps3 ...
i am running :

- msi 785g e53 mobo
- 500gb hdd x 2
- sapphire HD 5770
- corsair vx 550
I pity you mate, if you feel that way. I have tried both the consoles and trust me, I have been on the PC long enough to pass a judgement on it. You can ask a PS3 user yourself and then get back to me. Don't even think of rambling figures without having a personal experience, it doesn't help justify your post. What resolution do you play at? What settings do you use? Have you played multi-platform titles on the PS3 from up close and notice the aliasing issues? I suggest you buy the console and then let me know.

so i guess you are wrong please use google next time ?? and dude forget the discussion i think i have enough evidence to prove my point about ps3 being better than a pc .... graphically..... not in any other way .... at least for now
The list that you posted, have you even bothered reading up with their true resolution output over the internet? Literally, even games off the box claims to support 1080i/p resolutions and that doesn't mean they ARE 1080p in real time. I'd suggest you really do more reading up and learn what native 1080p support and upscaling means, this would really help brush up your reading and comprehending skills.

zzz also going over 30fps makes no-sense because the eye cannot see any difference above that .... and moreover the LOD is useless for the pc eye-candy...
Do you know why we need a constant 60fps to balance the gameplay? It's because when there is a graphic intensive scene taking place, the frames tend to take a hit and if it's capped at 30fps, then god help you when it drops. I have witnessed it first hand with console ports on PC. Also don't tell me you can make out when the game is running at 60fps and when it's on 30fps. Try playing Ninja Blade on console which is locked at 30fps and play it on the PC with highest settings and then talk to me. You'll realise the smooth gameplay.

man i am just trying to open his mind ... pc freaks are so narrow minded even i was once in the past LOL..... when i had a new pc.... but i noticed you cant keep up with the pace that technology evolves... so for once you need to accept someone is better than you
Open my mind? If you even bothered reading up my earlier post then I have clearly mentioned that I own a next-generation console and have also used the PS3. So this is not something which is new to me. I have been using consoles since they first started, so I'm not a first timer to gaming world. You know what I hate? I hate it when people actually don't use the console and pass judgement about PC. When I bought my 360, the first thing I tried to analyse was the PC users constant comments of how poorly games are rendered on it and trust me, if you view it from a close distance, then you'll really know how bad they look. PC is and will always be crisp, unless the game itself is poorly coded.

Last but not the least, this is not a competition of being "better than someone", it's about knowing the truth when it's staring right in front of you and accepting it.

I play at 1920x1080 with high settings and I get 38fps. UT3 is locked at 60fps, so that doesn't even count, my 7900GT could trash that game at 39fps back then. This card wouldn't even need to fart at 1920x1080 to get 60fps in UT3.

Also FYI, nothing is constant, frame drops occur in every platform. If you didn't notice it, then you probably haven't benchmarked it.

well consoles cannot run at full settings but you see many things like the textures and shaders some part depend on the display you are using ... for example as i mentioned before... the new HDTV panels will be having 32-bit processing with 1 gbit xdr ram and a new architecture based on the intel p4 series... so the tv's will be able to load bigger and better frames... resulting in more detail
Do you have any source which supports this claim? It's weird how PS3 games are being restricted by the LCD panel strength whereas the PC is blowing it's wind out with those same panels and an "inferior" hardware according to your theory.

well as far as the games are concerned at running at 30fps..... this is because they use motion blur .... motion blur is the same thing as 60fps .... but runnning a game at 60fps would actually require half the amount of processing power than motion blur ... so thank the ps3 game developers for making the graphics real to life .... also about hardware the developer of ps3 said that it is capable of running games at 120fps.... yes 120fps .... ooh..... pc fanboys.... loooks like the heat is on...
Oh WOW! It's been 4 years since it's release and I'm yet to see any game cross 60fps mark or most games crossing 30fps mark. But anyway I'll hold onto that thought till the game actually comes out. 120fps was it again? Wake me up when the time is right. Hope it's not after we get the PS4.

PS: Motion Blur is available on the PC as well and Mass Effect 2 still runs at a 58fps despite me using it. Again this is @1080p with every detail maxed out. Blur is a visual effect and doesn't necessarily translate into graphics being life like. The level of detail to the to surrounding and character does a la Crysis.

One small advice before you post more figures and specifications of what the PS3 is "capable of" and what not. Get the console, use it and play a multi-platform title on it and PM me the result. If you think there isn't any difference, then I'll certainly have a wall ready to bash my head against it.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Ok.. I am not trying to prove myself as a noob, but the way Nvidia calls Reality Synthesizer(RSX) is 2 X 6800gtx. I watched a press meet(conducted in 2005) in youtube in which Nvidia's CEO stating that ps3 has 2 world's Fastest GPUs( and the slides in the background changes to 2 X 6800gtx ). Ofcouse 6800gtx was the fastest GPU in 2005 :lol:

And I can't deny the fact that In the games like GTA IV, having a superior processor pays off. I mean... there is lot of physics, AI to calcluate. Having a CPU with multiple Cores or SPEs pays off.

I played GTA IV in both PS3 and PC, and PS3 edition is nowhere near the pc. I think.. If Rockstar managed to develop the game for PS3 instead of porting it from x360 would have made a drastic difference(thank you MS).

And when it comes to GTA IV, Core 2 Duo E6800 + 9600gt at stock < Core 2 quad q8200 + 9400gt at stock. That is my personal experience.

Still.. PC rules any thing at any time.

i am currently running a mid range pc config ... and it compares nothing to the ps3 ...
i am running :

- msi 785g e53 mobo
- 500gb hdd x 2
- sapphire HD 5770
- corsair vx 550

Dude.. pass your PC to me. I would love to pay you with a brand new PS3. Before stating something just think about it. Holy hell!!! HD 5770 and PII X4 BE and 4GB DDR3 RAM!!!

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
^I would like him to give that to me :D. DX11 GPU which's more than enough for 1440x900, a great proccy for gamin' & 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM is my dream.

quan chi

mortal kombat
but the way Nvidia calls Reality Synthesizer(RSX) is 2 X 6800gtx. I watched a press meet(conducted in 2005) in youtube in which Nvidia's CEO stating that ps3 has 2 world's Fastest GPUs( and the slides in the background changes to 2 X 6800gtx ).

well i dont have a clue then i have read its architecture.and AFAIK its born out of 7800gtx.
Though i dont trust every site but still you can google it out.

Ofcouse 6800gtx was the fastest GPU in 2005

ER..no 7800gtx was released in 2005. therefore it was the fastest.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Just one quick question? Do you think I was born yesterday and was yanking this stuff out of my arse? I know what Wikipedia is and guess what the information in there is uploaded by normal people like us and if you're using only that website as your reference then I'd suggest you better start using Google search.

Did you even bother reading this bit? It supports USB devices which was done even by a 9 year old PS2. So don't give me that sh*t that this technology is something new to the consoles. In practicality, if you connect a USB mouse and keyboard, then it won't turn into a PC and start playing all that the games. Do you know why? Because it's not designed for a f*ckin' WSAD configuration, that's why.

All I see is figures which you can keep quoting for ages, what I need is results.

What the f*ck are you talking about? LCD screen limitation? Do you even know how frame calculation works? The PC cards are can handle true resolution of 2560x1536 and the PS3 is capped at 1080p output. Most of the games keep upscaling their 720p designed frames and it's not an LCD limitation, but a developer choice. Have you seriously given it some thought or your just copy-pasting numbers and mixing random theories off websites?

Do you know what calculation CPU does? and how important a GPU is in tandem to it? Complex graphic calculations at the end of the day is to be rendered by the GPU. Tell me how GTA IV runs on the PS3? Have you even played that game on the PS3? Ask a PS3 user. If the CPU does most of the work, then in that theory, it should run at 60fps easily. That game has so much texture rendering, shadow detailing, independent AI behaviour calculation etc. This could have been easily taken care of with your Cell processor, then what went wrong?

I pity you mate, if you feel that way. I have tried both the consoles and trust me, I have been on the PC long enough to pass a judgement on it. You can ask a PS3 user yourself and then get back to me. Don't even think of rambling figures without having a personal experience, it doesn't help justify your post. What resolution do you play at? What settings do you use? Have you played multi-platform titles on the PS3 from up close and notice the aliasing issues? I suggest you buy the console and then let me know.

The list that you posted, have you even bothered reading up with their true resolution output over the internet? Literally, even games off the box claims to support 1080i/p resolutions and that doesn't mean they ARE 1080p in real time. I'd suggest you really do more reading up and learn what native 1080p support and upscaling means, this would really help brush up your reading and comprehending skills.

Do you know why we need a constant 60fps to balance the gameplay? It's because when there is a graphic intensive scene taking place, the frames tend to take a hit and if it's capped at 30fps, then god help you when it drops. I have witnessed it first hand with console ports on PC. Also don't tell me you can make out when the game is running at 60fps and when it's on 30fps. Try playing Ninja Blade on console which is locked at 30fps and play it on the PC with highest settings and then talk to me. You'll realise the smooth gameplay.

Open my mind? If you even bothered reading up my earlier post then I have clearly mentioned that I own a next-generation console and have also used the PS3. So this is not something which is new to me. I have been using consoles since they first started, so I'm not a first timer to gaming world. You know what I hate? I hate it when people actually don't use the console and pass judgement about PC. When I bought my 360, the first thing I tried to analyse was the PC users constant comments of how poorly games are rendered on it and trust me, if you view it from a close distance, then you'll really know how bad they look. PC is and will always be crisp, unless the game itself is poorly coded.

Last but not the least, this is not a competition of being "better than someone", it's about knowing the truth when it's staring right in front of you and accepting it.

I play at 1920x1080 with high settings and I get 38fps. UT3 is locked at 60fps, so that doesn't even count, my 7900GT could trash that game at 39fps back then. This card wouldn't even need to fart at 1920x1080 to get 60fps in UT3.

Also FYI, nothing is constant, frame drops occur in every platform. If you didn't notice it, then you probably haven't benchmarked it.

Do you have any source which supports this claim? It's weird how PS3 games are being restricted by the LCD panel strength whereas the PC is blowing it's wind out with those same panels and an "inferior" hardware according to your theory.

Oh WOW! It's been 4 years since it's release and I'm yet to see any game cross 60fps mark or most games crossing 30fps mark. But anyway I'll hold onto that thought till the game actually comes out. 120fps was it again? Wake me up when the time is right. Hope it's not after we get the PS4.

PS: Motion Blur is available on the PC as well and Mass Effect 2 still runs at a 58fps despite me using it. Again this is @1080p with every detail maxed out. Blur is a visual effect and doesn't necessarily translate into graphics being life like. The level of detail to the to surrounding and character does a la Crysis.

One small advice before you post more figures and specifications of what the PS3 is "capable of" and what not. Get the console, use it and play a multi-platform title on it and PM me the result. If you think there isn't any difference, then I'll certainly have a wall ready to bash my head against it.

@other guys .... the RSX is actually based on the G70 chipset... so it's a combination of both the 6800gtx ultra processing power and 7800gtx core...

oh... wow... look at that dude.... hm... we got serious competition here :p

1st. you wrote that you need a xfps adapter to run use a mouse and keyboard on a ps3... so looks like you are contradicting what you yourself said .... that you know that **** and all that ass yanking ....

2nd. figures is all i can quote unless you can build a cpu based on xdr ram for less than 10,000 $ .....because xdr ram is nearly 10x cost of the current available FASTEST and most EXPENSIVE ddr3 ram per gigabyte

3rd. tell me one thing if lcd screens did not have limitations why did they introduce V-SYNC? use your brains a little.....and for your info the lcd screen plays a major part in the image rendering... get a new sony
bravia engine 4 panel with 1gigabyte xdr ram and the new processing and use a old standard LCD same size... just notice the difference in the definition and the shades colours... etc... obviously ... since the ps3 is pre-rendering the frames your lcd screen plays a big part.... example.... when you play a game using a computer... your GPU already renders the full frame and sends it to your display... but it works differently in the playstation 3 ... AFAIK

4th. yes i know how cpu and gpu calculation work.... by processsing the game physics and other elements like shaders...shadows lightning HDR etc... and no i am not mixing up theories... also i would like to add that the ps3 rsx does not natively support shader models... so you get the point i hope... ? btw i checked about the GTA4 ..... and tell you what i noticed... the game developers are toooo god-damn lazy.. if they would have built and programed GTA4 with proper utilisation of the ps3 hardware... it would turn out to be 2times better than the pc .... btw... if you did not know apart from pc's where the process for game designing is fairly easy... the sdk of consoles are a world apart.... they are totally different algorithms ....ask some game developer... the games developed for the pc obviously fully optimize the processing power the pc has to offer... but they have not been able to do that with the ps3.. however if you compare some ps2 titles in their time you might understand that the ps2 was the big daddy of graphics horsepower because the developers were sucking every bit of the power to churn out out of the world gfx .. also the ps3 has potential your pc config can go max 58? .... the ps3 can churn out 120....but there must be some reason why they are not uncapping the fps ...

5th. i agree that the games becomes smoother at more fps... but on the ps3 do you feel that the game is jittery ?? the level of detail is high enough and it cannot go any higher than that for at least 2 years to come....

6th. i suppose if i write on the packaging of the TV 1080p THIS IS 1080p yeahh !! no joking then it does not support FULL HD? according to what you mean to say...

and please use google... even the console owners and the game critics are cribbing on how badly the gta version of the ps3 is designed... please please... i pity you use your brains and GOOGLE

@ otherz lol you drooling at my pc config?? ROFL..... there are guys out there running quad 4x HD 5990 and amd phenom II x4 overclocked to 8ghz.... and what 32gb ddr3 ram ?? hmm but then also they are not satisfied with the performance.. they want more... dunno why waise i was wondering what would be their electricity bill .....

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

and for your information i already know what upscaling means... and i think you need to read more and spend less time on the thread without adequate knowledge...

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

also going upto resolutions more than 1080p is useles... unless you have a 10meter x 10 meter screen.... on which you can blow up every single pixel and detail it remains useless regardless of what processing power the gpu has OR NOT ... it is the same thing as owning a Ferrari but having no place to drive it .... whereas the other guy has a lancer evo X fully modded faster acceleration and drifting.. so he wins... and he can use his car everywhere...

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

also i am in no mood to argue just for the sake of arguing and declaring who is better... the thing is that i represent what is right and correct.... so if you think the pc wins hands down close the issue and call it a tie ... at least that's what i would do ... no hard feelings i hope ?

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

also they cannot push 120 fps because there is no true 120 hz refresh rate LCD.... maybe if you wait a year or 2 we will be seeing what the ps3 is really capable of..

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

the current 200 hz panels you must have heard of .. run by inserting a new frame created by the image processor of the screen ... that's actually usless... because running the same media @ true 100hz s-ips panel would give far better results...

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

dude have you ever played cs 1.6? have you seen the frame rate?? ? it remains constant and goes down max by 1 fps ex... fps_max 101 in console would give 101-100fps.... not below 100... on a fairly average system...

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

and as far as wiki is concerned all the entries people post are checked if the guys think something is wrong there is written citation needed.......

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

the difference between how the processing works in a pc and how the processing works is a ps3 is totally different man.... in a pc you have your cpu processing raw data giving the physics part to the gpu to calculate rest it calculates... but in a ps3 ... the BUS IS THE SAME MAN... dont you understand ??? THE BUS IS THE SAME.... so in a ps3 the information's being jointly processed by the cpu and gpu core ... on the same board and BUS.... so the work load is divded..... between the cpu and gpu which have specific functions ...

Last edited:

quan chi

mortal kombat
^^dude they means its roughly equivalent to or powerful than.

actually its based on NV47 Chip.which were used for the architecture of 7800.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Does it mean that RSX was first designed and then 7800 used the same technology as RSX? Coz.. If they have introduced RSX with the help of 7800 they would have stated it as based on 7800.

Any way I am not a geek to know about all this stuff. Sorry I have stated something wrong.

quan chi

mortal kombat
If they have introduced RSX with the help of 7800 they would have stated it as based on 7800.

dont go on to these statements too seriously.sometimes they even dont know what they are stating (common mistake sometimes:D) or it has some hidden alternate meaning.

alright tried to google it and its the first page that poped up.and fortunately wiki has given this info correctly.

read here :- *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer'

though i dont trust this much but you can peek here too.:- *news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9126/PlayStation-3-GPU-Less-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/

*www.tomshardware.com/forum/186415-29-power-questions

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
so guys to clear your doubts... i did some research and this is what i think it is ...

this is what is quoted in wikipedia :

" Sony staff were quoted in PlayStation Magazine saying that the "RSX shares a lot of inner workings with NVIDIA 7800 which is based on G70 architecture. Since the G70 is capable of carrying out 136 shader operations per clock cycle, the RSX was expected to feature the same number of parallel pixel and vertex shader pipelines as the G70, which contains 24 pixel and 8 vertex pipelines.
NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang stated during Sony's pre-show press conference at E3 2005 that the RSX is twice as powerful as the GeForce 6800 Ultra "

also the codename for 78xx series is G70 aka NV47 so no confusion there...

so what i am thinking is that the RSX is not actually the 7800gtx.... it is based on the same architecture... obviously the if the sony people went to nvidia and just put the 7800gtx as it is it would be coughing to play any games at 1080p at single digit FPS....so the ram timings in the ps3 and the fill rate are supposedly different than the 7800gtx... most probably a core and xdr ram change... so it gives a 10x performance increment at that clock speed....

also i researched about the 6800 gtx ultra .. what they state is that more than 2 6800 ultra's so that is equal to : 32 pipelines and 12 vertex processors..if you put 2x 6800ultra's in 2 x16 lanes..... so it actually looks like a scaled down version of the 7950gx2 with 6 less vertex processors and shaders.....

omfg ... thats awesome horsepower man... omfg......

also the top hardware reviewers have stated that the 7800gtx is one of the most technologically advanced gfx card and processor to be built...

" According to PC World, the 7800 GTX was "one of the most complex processors ever designed". The GPU had 302 million transistors (the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ CPU has 233.2 million transistors), along with 24 pixel and 8 vertex shaders.This card included new standard features, such as subsurface scattering, HDR lighting, and radiosity, to name a few. "

so the conclusion is that the RSX running inside the ps3 is probably based on the same processor design as the 7xxx series cards most probably running a scaled down / similar 7950gx2 core alongwith xdr ram to make it equal to todays current gen gfx cards....

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

woooohooooo guys any gpu doing 16x MSAA??? beat that ....

ps3 does 16x MSAA with all settings full that is awesome imbalance un-explainable gfx power ...

*gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/05/ps3-smoothing-beyond-that-of-high-end-pc-graphics-card/

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

ps3 does 16x MSAA with all settings full that is awesome imbalance un-explainable gfx power ...

*gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/05/ps3-smoothing-beyond-that-of-high-end-pc-graphics-card/

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl

[

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom