PC Buying Guide 2011- Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

smltngs

Broken In
I have a athlon 2 x4 620 (2.6ghz) in my current rig. Is it worth to upgrade to a phenom 2 x4 955 or 965 BE for gaming. I play at 1920x1080 on my samsung b2230 monitor(22 inch) with gts250 512mb.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^No point in upgrading the graphics CPU, it can handle 1080P gaming. For 1080P, you need to change the Graphics cards of yours. At least cards like HD 6850 is required.

Also regarding GTX 590, you're forgetting one thing; it still has 1.5 GB Vram per GPU. So when going over 1080P resolution or 3D setup, the card will be bottlenecked by the Vram size in a same way the GTX 580 does.
That is the sole reason that HD 6970 CF performs same as GTX 580 SLI in over 1080P or multi-monitor setups.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Okay guys found some interesting palit cards suitable for 3d rigs:

Palit - GTX560 Ti GDDR-5 ( 2048MB ) Graphic Card @ 14.2k

Palit - GTX580 GDDR-5 ( 3072MB ) Graphic Card @ 28.9k

Palit - GTX 590 GDDR5 ( 3072MB )Graphic Card @ 37.4k

The 560-ti 2gb and 580 3gb have enough frame buffer for 3d and when paired in sli mode, will deliver some blazing performance even at higher resolutions including 3d surround.

Prices of gtx 590 are relatively pretty low. But i'm having a hard time finding a non-reference model.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
The 590 you linked is not suitable. 3072 MB= 1536 MB/GPU.

I own a pair of those 580s and can attest to their performance. Bear in mind that these cards barely OC.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ I know that. 1536/mb/gpu is enough for fullhd 3d atleast. I just wanted to know about non-reference 590's but not able to find one yet.

Have you tried 3d with your 580 3gb sli? I guess they are perfect for 3d at any resolution.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
^^ I know that. 1536/mb/gpu is enough for fullhd 3d atleast. Wrong

I just wanted to know about non-reference 590's but not able to find one yet. MARS II? Just kidding :D

Have you tried 3d with your 580 3gb sli? I guess they are perfect for 3d at any resolution. No, and I dont have any plans to do so. It is an immature technology that does more eye and brain damage than you know.

Replies in bold

d3p

PowerHouse
@EG: But afaik, MARS II is a Limited Edition Card right ???
Just a query...Coz i never found the price tag mentioned above MARS II.

@Vicky: Adding 590 or 6990 into the Config list will take the overall price tag to above 150 easily. So let not discuss more about that & try possible to get it under 120k as decided over the Poll.

d3p

PowerHouse
d3p I wrote that i was joking. $1499 is the price.
at 120k 3D shouldnt even be mentioned.

Are you seriously kidding me ??? $1499???? F*** this Card ......

BTW do let me know, is there any problems with these configs..

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/1525458-post845.html

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Remove the GTX 560 Tis and place 2GB GPUs.

3D shouldnt be here in this thread IMHO. Wait for the technology to mature and the card performance to come up.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Replies in bold

I don't agree with your Ist reply at all. I have seen many reviewers trying 3d in full hd using a single 580 and getting good playable fps in games like crysis 2.

For 590, it should be a piece of cake at least in fullhd. Justify your replies before putting them in the first place.

And about 3d being immature, its a complete personal opinion. There are lot others who appreciate the technology.

@Vicky: Adding 590 or 6990 into the Config list will take the overall price tag to above 150 easily. So let not discuss more about that & try possible to get it under 120k as decided over the Poll.

So we shall stick with 560-ti sli right? I mean the 2gb ones. How about a single 580 3gb for a hassle free setup?

d3p

PowerHouse
And about 3d being immature, its a complete personal opinion. There are lot others who appreciate the technology.

Absolutely True....

So we shall stick with 560-ti sli right? I mean the 2gb ones. How about a single 580 3gb for a hassle free setup?

560ti 2GB Sli will be a good option than a Single 580 3GB. Both in terms of Performance as well as the pricings.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I don't agree with your Ist reply at all. I have seen many reviewers trying 3d in full hd using a single 580 and getting good playable fps in games like crysis 2.

Reviewers never max out their setups. Often you wont get to see the occasional spikes as they show you avg fps.
Crysis 2 shows usage of 1.6-1.8GB. Imagine how much 3D would draw.

Metro 2033 shows 1.2GB use. in 3D easily 1.7GB I'm sure.

GTA IV shows 1.4-1.6GB usage. 3D would obviously require quite a bit more.

Crysis 1 and Warhead also use 1.6GB.

The above are at a resolution of 1680x1050. That is not even FHD/1200p.
I didnt even tweak the drivers.

Reviewers usually only show the average framerates and many do not max out their setups in terms of AA, or they even tweak drivers for better performance over higher quality.

I know I didnt specify it, but I was referring to active 3D. Shutter glasses hurt your eyes and damage your brain, especially over long periods of use. PERIOD.

d3p

PowerHouse
^ even spending a lot of hours playing games or using PC, without any break does the damage....

But how often we follow, that matters.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
^ even spending a lot of hours playing games or using PC, without any break does the damage....

But how often we follow, that matters.

Incorrect. The quantity of damage done in an equivalent active 3D setup is much more.

I personally feel dizzy even after watching a 3D movie with passive glasses. Have stepped away from 3D because of that.

d3p

PowerHouse
^ may be you are true, someway to your own respective view.

But i haven't felt that till date, as i enjoy movies in 3D.

Ok, I can understand the same when you have commented like this.

No, and I dont have any plans to do so. It is an immature technology that does more eye and brain damage than you know.

So not everybody has the same build & not everyone face the same problem.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Agree with you there.
But keep in mind that the damage is in the long term, maybe after a year when you use the tech extensively.
Passive 3D has its problem that your ears are not in sync with your eyes, which is what causes the dizziness. This is one of the few problems that has carried over from active 3D.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ EG is right here; Me too, have read an article about it.

But lets 3D config be present in the rig for the people who wanna take their chances. We don't need to be personally biased. This thing is discussed earlier here and lets stop it now. We will mention that 3D does have some sideeffects.

No more personal views please.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Guys, how about this??

TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Looks like cheapest. What are your views??

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
At 120k you are seriously limiting performance at the highest settings.

Many games also dont do well with 3D. You are shelling out a lot of money to play only a few games well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom