Overheating problems

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
my zotac gtx 560 ti sli used to go till 102c AND 82c respectively...then i installed two more fans and a cpu cooler...now my i5 2500 runs at max of 44c (idles at 39c)and my gpus hav an average of 77c and 50 c respectively(while playing crysis 2)...my idle temps are 48c for both cards. my questions are:

1) why the difference in temperatures? (i have sli enabled)
2) are the temps normal for a zotac card under load?

Variable temp. might be due to the circulation of air in ur pc case. Try swapping the cards & see if the temperature differs.

im getting 80 degree temp on 6970 on full load .is that temp is fine

Yup it's normal if it is on full load.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Hiya guys, need your advice again! I had previously posted a heating issue, but didnt follow up on it.. Sorry about that!
I have a Phenom 2 955 BE on stock with stock hsf.. I have a basic Gigabyte mid tower case.

Okay, my problem is as follows:
One day i was reading in the TDF forums about overheating issues and decided to check if my core temps were ok. They were maxing out at 79C at the time! Core Voltage was at 1.375V by default. I had changed it to 1.325V and run stress tests on it with Orthos. It seemed stable for the time.

But the high temps still persisted at over 60-65C. I took the fan off the heatsink and saw a massive curtain of dust jammed there. Cleaned it out with a brush and replaced the fan. The temps are now at 50C on idle and going up to about 63-65 under Orthos.

Any comments on this? Thanks in advance guys!

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
Hiya guys, need your advice again! I had previously posted a heating issue, but didnt follow up on it.. Sorry about that!
I have a Phenom 2 955 BE on stock with stock hsf.. I have a basic Gigabyte mid tower case.

One day i was reading in the TDF forums about overheating issues and decided to check if my core temps were ok. They were maxing out at 79C at the time! Core Voltage was at 1.375V by default. I had changed it to 1.325V and run stress tests on it with Orthos. It seemed stable for the time.

But the high temps still persisted at over 60-65C. I took the fan off the heatsink and saw a massive curtain of dust jammed there. Cleaned it out with a brush and replaced the fan. The temps are now at 50C on idle and going up to about 63-65 under Orthos.

The initial temp of 79 is too much for the Phenom ll CPU. Also 50C in idle is too much... Make sure the Thermal paste is applied properly to the heatsink .
That said, I have the same CPU, and idle Temps are around 37 - 40deg, of course with my CM 620 cooler, but even on stock cooler, it didnt touch 50 in idle.

Personally , I just hate the stock cooler of phenoms... it doesnt do justice to the Phenom CPUs...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ quad_core - can you post the load temps of your cpu and GPU ??

though load temps is a bit high it's still within safe zone ;-)

try what quad_core suggested and if possible apply a fresh layer of TiM.

BTw, which cabinet do you have and and how many fans are there ?

Souro_Ray

In the zone
@quad_core,

thanks for the heads up, bro.. I'll check out the TIM issue.. My only concern is that i have no clue as to how long the cpu has been running at 70 above temp.. Hope the processor life span wont decrease much. Last thing i need is for this proc to conk out before one year has passed!

@topgear,

Yeah, i'll do that TIM routine with my cpu. Thinking about buying a new cabby and cooler. Might go with a Elite430 and H212+/N620... Any advice on my choices?

And my current setup is within a generic Gigabyte chassis with 1 cheap 40 rs fan blowing out hot air through the back.. Sucks, i know... :p

By the way, normally the cpu fan blows fresh air onto the heatsink itself, right? Or does it blow hot air away from the heatsink? Can changing the fan direction facing result in any improvement?

tkin

Back to school!!
@quad_core,

thanks for the heads up, bro.. I'll check out the TIM issue.. My only concern is that i have no clue as to how long the cpu has been running at 70 above temp.. Hope the processor life span wont decrease much. Last thing i need is for this proc to conk out before one year has passed!

@topgear,

Yeah, i'll do that TIM routine with my cpu. Thinking about buying a new cabby and cooler. Might go with a Elite430 and H212+/N620... Any advice on my choices?

And my current setup is within a generic Gigabyte chassis with 1 cheap 40 rs fan blowing out hot air through the back.. Sucks, i know... :p

By the way, normally the cpu fan blows fresh air onto the heatsink itself, right? Or does it blow hot air away from the heatsink? Can changing the fan direction facing result in any improvement?
You can't get the N620 now, out of stock in kolkata and at smc, try Noctua U12P or Hyper 212+ if you are on a tight budget.

Bought The Cooler Master HTK002 to try to run the system before my new cooler comes, this cr@p paste is crappier than stock intel paste, idle was 40c but at load(crysis 2) it was 78c, immediately shut it down and removed the stock cooler.

Guys, take a pic at the impression below, did I apply the paste correctly? The cooler was seated rock solid(not moving even a mm), I seated is as best as I can. Am I to believe that the cm htk002 is just this bad?

The cr@p paste:
*i.imgur.com/JJ2mh.jpg

The impression on cpu, I used the card spread method:
*i.imgur.com/ggyRt.jpg

Impression on cooler base:
*i.imgur.com/eY5FG.jpg

PS: Got a TX4, gonna buy Noctua U12P this week,

tkin

Back to school!!
Yeah, very bad, tried the finger spread method, this stuff does not flow and so with prime temp took to 84c and I just shut it off. No installing till noctua gets here.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or you might want to use some lipstick ;):-

*www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-June-2011/1299/5

tkin

Back to school!!
I just read some reviews and forum posts and come to the conclusion, the stock cooler is utterly crap, with ambient hitting 35c here, its touching 75c crysis 2 maxed out, waiting for noctua before I do any other test.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
This is the overclocking result
CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Tested on prime 95 for 10+ minus, temp hit 96 degree c. Oh my !

tkin

Back to school!!
This is the overclocking result
CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Tested on prime 95 for 10+ minus, temp hit 96 degree c. Oh my !
The stock cooler is horrible, I installed mine today 4 times with CM HTK002 paste(cr@p but should do the job), idle was 45c(ambient 32c+), load with orthos prime one core(2 threads) was 72c, crysis 2 pushed them to 75c across 2 cores :shock:, ripped apart the stock cooler and right now trying to come up with a menacing way to destroy it, please buy the Hyper 212+, all k series buyers should buy aftermarket, I'm having more issues as HT on my 2600k is pushing the thermal boundary too much.

Just read the 2600k reviews in new egg and everyone is saying the stock cooler is pushing the 2600k to 70-80c on stock, I imagine the same for 2500k(a few degrees less due to lack of HT). I'm personally buying the Noctua U12P this week.

TJmax is 98c for sandy, you were close to throttling.

tkin

Back to school!!
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Read the reviews there, 2500k should be almost same, a few degrees less maybe.

@Faun, stop pushing the bclk so much, its not good, try keeping it about 102.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
The stock cooler is horrible, I installed mine today 4 times with CM HTK002 paste(cr@p but should do the job), idle was 45c(ambient 32c+), load with orthos prime one core(2 threads) was 72c, crysis 2 pushed them to 75c across 2 cores :shock:, ripped apart the stock cooler and right now trying to come up with a menacing way to destroy it, please buy the Hyper 212+, all k series buyers should buy aftermarket, I'm having more issues as HT on my 2600k is pushing the thermal boundary too much.

Just read the 2600k reviews in new egg and everyone is saying the stock cooler is pushing the 2600k to 70-80c on stock, I imagine the same for 2500k(a few degrees less due to lack of HT). I'm personally buying the Noctua U12P this week.

TJmax is 98c for sandy, you were close to throttling.

While gaming temps are at 65-67

Isn't Tj relative to ambient temps ?

I too plan to buy an aftermarket cooler by the end of this month. How much you are getting Noctua for ?

Pretty good. But near 100C temps!!! :shock: OMG!!!

Toned down for now, will get a good cooler first.

Top Bottom