Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, tx3 is cr@p, hyper 212+ comes with one fan, a similar specced(but has LED) PWM 4 pin blademaster(xtraflow) fan can be bought @ 600/-(I'll post pics when I receive mine), so the price of the package becomes 2.5k, its same is N620 and provides comparable if not better cooling, if someone's budget is less than 3k, get the 212+ or the N620, upto 5k get the U12PSE2 or TRUE, above that get the D14(if it fits), do not buy cm V6GT or V10 and avoid corsair H coolers due to possibility of leaking.

Upto 5k Noctua NH-D14 should be the No. 1 choice - it's only 4.75k anyway ;-)

tkin

Back to school!!
Upto 5k Noctua NH-D14 should be the No. 1 choice - it's only 4.75k anyway ;-)
Yeah but D14 is massive, may have clearance issues, for that reason only U12P remains a viable alternative.

This looks ok?

Noctua U12P result:
At 3.8GHz(mild oc):
Idle: All cores less than 40c(stock cooler: 45c)
Load(prime95, small FFT): Max 62c(stock cooler 80c+ on all cores)

*i.imgur.com/NxikE.png

No AC, ambient fell a little today after rain, but all windows are closed, I reckon around 28c

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ looks good ;-)

BTW, what's your CPU vcore and are you using the TX4 TiM ??
No, I'm using the TIM that came with the cooler, Noctua NTH1, used the rice grain method.

And vcore is set to default(for 2600k), didn't touch that, clocked it to 3.8Ghz and running fine. I will push it soon to 4.4 and check temps.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the temps it's looks like you can push more for sure - load temp upto 70C should be safe AFAIK.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I am getting Scythe Kaze 3000rpm for my CPU cooler. But how do I regulate the RPM as it has 3 pin connector.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why??? Get a fan controller instead. The sexy NZXT Sentry 2 is just 1950 at primeabgb and they are giving a free shipping right now. ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
I am getting Scythe Kaze 3000rpm for my CPU cooler. But how do I regulate the RPM as it has 3 pin connector.
Connect it to the CPU FAN Header, asus software allows fans to be controlled by graph like MSI afterburner.

tkin

Back to school!!
I think that will require a 4 pin connector. Correct me if I am wrong.

Noctua cooler is out of stock, settled for Thermalright TRUE Black :|
No, cpu fan header can control both PWM(4 pin) as well as 3 pin fans.

PS: Make sure the TRUE fits, the rams are GSkill right?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^I think it should fit. Optimistic about that. Lets see if 3 pin fans can be controlled by Mobo.

Are the temps right for my system config:
NZXT Gamma
Thermalright TRUE Black + Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm
*farm4.static.flickr.com/3416/5839695263_b96df948c3_o.jpg

*farm6.static.flickr.com/5261/5839694623_efbee91336_o.jpg

*farm4.static.flickr.com/3305/5840242850_e7888dafbd_o.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
core i5 2500k stock under TRUE Black with 68C temp is just too much high IMO and I can see OP's vcore under load is just too much ( ie 1.376 ) for stock speed of a 2500k.

Try lowering the cpu vcore from bios and set it to 1.260v/1.250v.

BTW, with the current vcore he can easily reach ~4.8 Ghz ;-)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^It's already at 4.6GHz (2nd screenshot)

I guess temps and volts @4.6GHz are similar to Cilraaz's
*www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/990066-good-overclock-i5-2500k.html

I am using the fan in pull config as it's too wide and block first RAM slot.
*farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/5841407858_5445047442_b.jpg

Could adding a push fan will cause further drop of temps by 5-6 degrees (I guess so) ?

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, the pic is well taken. just look at the turn-a-turtle pose of the stock cooler ;)

:))

Top Bottom