Overheating problems

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Managed to run Prime95 (Torture test, only CPU stressing ) for around 5 hours and the temperature max that it reached at stock speeds were 59*C for my AMD Athlon II X4 620 (2.6ghz) Zero errors reported.

Should I OC it a bit and then test for the same time to see the stability ?
( also pointers for proper OC-ing are welcome :D)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, you should give it a hit but I think it will increase temp as it's giving 59C under load with default clock speed. Try running stress test apps for 1 hour to know the temp and run it for hours to know about the stability. Most of the time when you passed 1hour
it's just OK enough OC and BTW, don't forget to post your OCed show off's in here :p

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121070

rishabh9

Broken In
@ Asigh & Topgear:

Sorry guys, I do not have an update yet, to give you guys, as I am out of town and away from my system at present. Will keep you guys updated.

-Rishabh

UPDATE:
While I am away from town my brother has taken the system to the dealer from where I bought it. He says the sensors are screwed up and has agreed to replace the motherboard. Will be getting a replacement within this week. :p
(Fingers crossed I don't wanna land up with another junk.)

-Rishabh

techie_85

Broken In
I have amd sempron 3000+, when at idle it logs around 60 C, but during load, it reaches 110+ C :shock:, the computer shuts down too. Could this damage my processor?

Krow

Crowman
Yes. It definitely could. You should look for a good thermal paste like Cooler Master Nano Fusion and reseat the heatsink.

techie_85

Broken In
I took the heatsink yesterday and cleaned it, but couldn't find any thermal paste in local stores, I guess i have to go to richie st,
Does anybody know what the normal temp is for sempron 3000+ both under load and while idle?

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
I took the heatsink yesterday and cleaned it, but couldn't find any thermal paste in local stores, I guess i have to go to richie st,
Does anybody know what the normal temp is for sempron 3000+ both under load and while idle?

Idle should be below 40

Load should be below 65

techie_85

Broken In
^^ wow,
mine is idleing at 62c - 65c and at load it reached 114c, I have stopped playing games or running any other processor intensive application until I can get the thermal compound.

Also my fan speed at load is only 3300+, shouldn't it be higher?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fan speed is kinda OK. Just get some good thermal compound from arctic or coolermaster.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ wow,
mine is idleing at 62c - 65c and at load it reached 114c, I have stopped playing games or running any other processor intensive application until I can get the thermal compound.

Also my fan speed at load is only 3300+, shouldn't it be higher?
Fan speed is OK, get a good thermal compound, Cooler Master is available in general, Arctic Silver ones cost more and are hard to find.

CM Thermal Fusion 400 @ 450/-

*www.coolermaster.com/upload/product/5405/featured/top1.jpg?816669809

*www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5405

Theres also a cheaper variety available.

CM Thermal Grease for 200/-

*in.coolermaster.com/uploads/product/products_highlight/file1170055485629.jpg

*in.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2301&id=4100

techie_85

Broken In
Thanks for the reply guys, I would be going to Richie st this weekend, I'm sure thermal paste would be available there.

But wrt to cpu temp, everest is just showing 43 c, while at the same time cpuid is showing 70+ c :?, even the fan speed is different. Which one should I trust. All other sensor reading are more or less the same.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Thanks for the reply guys, I would be going to Richie st this weekend, I'm sure thermal paste would be available there.

But wrt to cpu temp, everest is just showing 43 c, while at the same time cpuid is showing 70+ c :?, even the fan speed is different. Which one should I trust. All other sensor reading are more or less the same.

U wont find Artic or MX2 in chennai - get CM fusion 400 which costs u 400 bucks .

i think thermal paste wont reduce that much heat from 112 deg , i think there is problem with ur case ventilation & heatsink installation .
:cry:

dont panic of reading the temperatures from the EVEREST , CPUid these will not read accurate from the diode , REALTEMP is best for reading temps but it wont work with AMD , better check with the infrared thermometer or cheap eletronic thermometer available for 200buck + .

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
wat do you guys have to say. The system temp remains alwaya like this. No improper shitdowns.
*i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo162/bassam904/Fat.jpg

techie_85

Broken In
U wont find Artic or MX2 in chennai - get CM fusion 400 which costs u 400 bucks .

i think thermal paste wont reduce that much heat from 112 deg , i think there is problem with ur case ventilation & heatsink installation .
:cry:

I don't think case ventilation is the problem, I have Zebronics Anti-biotic with 3 fans (+1 smps fan), it could be heatsink though, I'll try to reinstall it and see if that works.

dont panic of reading the temperatures from the EVEREST , CPUid these will not read accurate from the diode , REALTEMP is best for reading temps but it wont work with AMD , better check with the infrared thermometer or cheap eletronic thermometer available for 200buck + .
How do you check processor temp with a therometer, should I remove the heatsink and place it in the processor or place it in the heatsink itself

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
wat do you guys have to say. The system temp remains alwaya like this. No improper shitdowns.
*i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo162/bassam904/Fat.jpg

Please try RealTemp application. Speed fan is known to have issues recognizing the thermal diodes. Also what is Everest Lavalys showing.

I don't think case ventilation is the problem, I have Zebronics Anti-biotic with 3 fans (+1 smps fan), it could be heatsink though, I'll try to reinstall it and see if that works.

How do you check processor temp with a therometer, should I remove the heatsink and place it in the processor or place it in the heatsink itself

See my response above.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Real Temp won't work with AMD Sempron 3000 :p

@ techie_85 - Never ever run your proc without heatsink. To get proper temp get into the bios and look at the temp readings on there. Every mobos bios has some kind of system monitoring feature.

Re-enter in bios and wait for 5. Now again note the temp from system monitor. It will give you a fair idea about cpu load temp.

BTW, post back both temps.

techie_85

Broken In
^^ I tried that,
At start the temp is around 63C and after a few minutes it reaches 100+ C, so I guess cpuid is correct.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ do not trust one temperature monitoring software. Get it cross referenced for sure.

@techie_85:
You have a serious problem, if you are hitting 100C

Top Bottom