Overheating problems

jasku

In the zone
Hey Guys,

this is my setup

C2D E6400-2.13 Ghz
Corsair 2x1GB DDR2(667 MHZ)
Asus P5W DH - Deluxe (Intel 975X chipset)
Radeon 1900XT [256mb]
Seagate Baracuda 320GB (SATA)
Liteon 18x DVD RW IDE
Sony 20 DVD-RW ATA

The prob is my CPU is idling at 75C and 82C on load!, and this is a C2D, shocking, while playing Farcry, COD2 and Bro in arms, it jus freeze's or restarts.....and my GPu idles at 80C and 95C on load.

Pls suggest...any other C2D users having issues?!

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
whts ur psu/smps??
n also provide some info about ur cabby.

hv u tried running ur system with cabby opened from both sides?? if yes ,does the temps reduce in that case??

75C and 90C are really high. Shud keep them below 60C and 75C.

plz provide the info for any kind of help :).

jasku

In the zone
BULLZI said:
whts ur psu/smps??
n also provide some info about ur cabby.

hv u tried running ur system with cabby opened from both sides?? if yes ,does the temps reduce in that case??

75C and 90C are really high. Shud keep them below 60C and 75C.

plz provide the info for any kind of help :).

Sure, sorry bout that here is my entire rig!

C2D E6400-2.13 Ghz
Corsair 2x1GB DDR2(667 MHZ)
Asus P5W DH - Deluxe (Intel 975X chipset)
Radeon 1900XT [256mb]
Seagate Baracuda 320GB (SATA)
Liteon 18x DVD RW IDE
Sony 20 DVD-RW ATA
Logitecg G5 Laser mouse
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Logitech Z-2300 Speakers
Viewsonic VX2245wm-22' LCD
Antec 450W PSU
Antec Sonata case

I did open it, thats why its idling at 75, earlier it was idling at 80C, my chassis fan had died, replaced that now, with the same Antec 120mm fan.

But now i need to take out the mobo and prolly reinstall the HSF, which i have never done!..but I need to, and Ive cheked my dealer has the AS-5, so if the reinstallation does not work, then prolly get the AS5 and apply?

Thanks and cheers!

Whats ironic, is that my old Athlon 2500+ which are supp to have heating issues runs at 42C max load!,and the c2d's which are supp to be extremely cool, is idling at 75C...really weird!

Last edited:

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
C2D s dissipate a lot less heat bt definitely they arent extremely cool.

anyway, with cabby opened idle temps 75 C, really weired. I too hv E6400 oc at 3 GHZ bt still by load temps dont pass 66 C.

check the heat sink and the thermal paste.lets see wht happens :).

i really wud hv preferred 500 watt psu as minimum. is the Antec Psu u own is from True power/Neo series??

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Do a clean windows install and update all drivers and check the game again.
Have u overclocked ur system?
Also what game settings are u running on?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
jasku said:
But now i need to take out the mobo and prolly reinstall the HSF, which i have never done!..but I need to, and Ive cheked my dealer has the AS-5, so if the reinstallation does not work, then prolly get the AS5 and apply?

Having decided to reinstall the HSF, make sure that AS-5 or MX-2 is applied. There is no meaning in applying it after you find reinstallation didn't work. Also clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol before applying the compound.

jasku

In the zone
BULLZI said:
C2D s dissipate a lot less heat bt definitely they arent extremely cool.

anyway, with cabby opened idle temps 75 C, really weired. I too hv E6400 oc at 3 GHZ bt still by load temps dont pass 66 C.

check the heat sink and the thermal paste.lets see wht happens :).

i really wud hv preferred 500 watt psu as minimum. is the Antec Psu u own is from True power/Neo series??

Hey dude, im a lil scared to reinstall the HSF, but I plan to do it, and I think it is the True power series, it comes with the Sonata-ii case.

Are u using stock cooling as well? if yes there is a thermal pad, and i would not need a thermal paste ..would i?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thermal paste works as link betwen HSF & CPU. It tranfers cpu's heat to the HSF to help dissipate from cpu. So the cpu runs cool.

Try any good thermal paste like Arctic Silver - will cost you around 400-500 bucks.

If all fails - arrange a little table fan & face it towards the cabbys open side :D

jasku

In the zone
topgear said:
Thermal paste works as link betwen HSF & CPU. It tranfers cpu's heat to the HSF to help dissipate from cpu. So the cpu runs cool.

Try any good thermal paste like Arctic Silver - will cost you around 400-500 bucks.

If all fails - arrange a little table fan & face it towards the cabbys open side :D

I know what a thermal paste/compound does, but wanna to know, jus for reinstalling the HSF i.e. removing and fixing it again, do I need a thermal compound, coz ther is already a thermal pad on the stock HSF.

janitha said:
Having decided to reinstall the HSF, make sure that AS-5 or MX-2 is applied. There is no meaning in applying it after you find reinstallation didn't work. Also clean both surfaces with isopropyl alcohol before applying the compound.

Fair point Janitha, but the thing is even with the stock HSF it should not be idling at 75C!, so dont you think reinstall wihout a compound would make sense?

Last edited:

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
jasku said:
Hey dude, im a lil scared to reinstall the HSF, but I plan to do it, and I think it is the True power series, it comes with the Sonata-ii case.

Are u using stock cooling as well? if yes there is a thermal pad, and i would not need a thermal paste ..would i?

I was previously using stock cooling bt had some overheating probs during oc. so opted for a cooler. now its fine :).

u shud always use a decent thermal paste like Arctic Silver. this will make heat transfer lot faster. u try this in ur proccy:)

just clear any other thermal pasting that was done previously, as JANITHA said and then repaste. i think that will help.

jasku

In the zone
BULLZI said:
I was previously using stock cooling bt had some overheating probs during oc. so opted for a cooler. now its fine :).

u shud always use a decent thermal paste like Arctic Silver. this will make heat transfer lot faster. u try this in ur proccy:)

just clear any other thermal pasting that was done previously, as JANITHA said and then repaste. i think that will help.

What were ur temps with stock HSf?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
jasku said:
I know what a thermal paste/compound does, but wanna to know, jus for reinstalling the HSF i.e. removing and fixing it again, do I need a thermal compound, coz ther is already a thermal pad on the stock HSF.

Fair point Janitha, but the thing is even with the stock HSF it should not be idling at 75C!, so dont you think reinstall wihout a compound would make sense?

Definitely you can choose not to apply thermal paste, but before that buy another processor so that you can replace the present one when it is fully fried.;)

jasku

In the zone
You wont believe this,,,I went and bot the AS5 from my dealer, and I come back and unplug all the cords, and am about to loosen the first screw of the mobo, wen I see **** loads of dust on the HSF, below the fan...

So I decide to try cleaning this first, and I use the good old cotton buds(5 of em), and the amount of dust that had clogged the HS, unbelievable, after bout 30 mins, connect it up..........and guess wat.. the CPU is now idling at 43C and 49C at load!...a real relief!

I still have to take care of the GPU, coz I need to make use of the AS5, so anyone in here used AS on their GPU's??....

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I do frequent Frinds HDD connection and all so I always keep one side of cabby totally open and my PC is next to Window + A fan is alwys working so no Overheating EVER for me :D

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Try using BLOWER(A little device which blows air with good pressure through its nozzle) into ur system rigs every week or month to keep your rig clean!

Last edited:

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
jasku said:
You wont believe this,,,I went and bot the AS5 from my dealer, and I come back and unplug all the cords, and am about to loosen the first screw of the mobo, wen I see **** loads of dust on the HSF, below the fan...
What is HSF
Also when i open computer to connect hard disk i switch only ups , i have not removed any cords. so it is safe to connect hard disk or install lan card withour removing cords.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
^^
HSF - Heat Sink Fan ( The fan above ur heat sink - it might be of aluminum or might be of copper).

It is always adviceable to remove the power cord before installing or removing any hardware component and also use anti static gloves or use the bag that comes with ur hardware ( the dark colored polythene bag) and also wait for almost 2-5 min. before installing a new component to avoid potential shock stored somewhere in ur PSU!

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
@jasku

sorry for the late reply.
my temps. were abt 55 C with stock cooling at idle and temps went to 65C +
on load.
bt my temps are now 45 C idle and abt 58 C on load :).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ jasku
do I need a thermal compound, coz ther is already a thermal pad on the stock HSF

A good thermal paste is always better than what ships with the original hsf.
Always remember to clean the previous layer of thermal compound first then apply the new thermal paste .

So.....jasku......a clean up finally solved your prob....congrats dude......take some relief & rest in peace.....:D

Top Bottom