Opinion column: Why doth thou ignore Asia, O mighty Apple?

Would you buy Apple products if they...

• ... stayed just the way they are today?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
About the LED backlight thingy, don't all LCD have LED backlights? I mean the backlights used for illuminating LCD panels are always LED.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
one thing is for sure that mac hardware does not get updated that much and most of the stuff that comes into market is PC only.so if u buy a mac or upgrade ur pc insanely :) it would cost the same.dual xeon proccy's mean great power for CAD,audio,video works,etc and mac is kinda dedicated platform for all these things.at least a pro would prefer a mac than investing in a high end PC.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
I just got an Ipod Touch 16 gb and I have to say that it is one of the best devices I have seen and I also got the January Upgrade as well but I do feel that the company has used dwindling tactics to get more money from customers for this upgrade by announcing it after the christmas rush(Just days after I got it :( )...Anywayz coming to the topic....India can never have an Itunes store(atleast in the foreseeable future)...Just think how many people will use credit card to purchase songs from Itunes even if they buy an Ipod.Only price matters in India as everyone says...People in India care about the value for money more than anything....Apple can only gain some market by cutting costs and heavy advertising Indianishtyle if they ever come to India...But still 96,000 is still damn costlier for Mac Book Air

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I just got an Ipod Touch 16 gb and I have to say that it is one of the best devices I have seen and I also got the January Upgrade as well but I do feel that the company has used dwindling tactics to get more money from customers for this upgrade by announcing it after the christmas rush(Just days after I got it :( )...Anywayz coming to the topic....India can never have an Itunes store(atleast in the foreseeable future)...Just think how many people will use credit card to purchase songs from Itunes even if they buy an Ipod.Only price matters in India as everyone says...People in India care about the value for money more than anything....Apple can only gain some market by cutting costs and heavy advertising Indianishtyle if they ever come to India...But still 96,000 is still damn costlier for Mac Book Air
umm.. people use credit card to buy what not.. then why not music? I have seen many applying for a credit card without knowing what it is.

Why did iTunes store become a hit ? because its so simple to use, and you dont have to hunt for the song you are looking for.

take a look at ebay.in one of India's top ecommerce site, there are hundreds of people using credit card to buy stuff, they even have screen protectors for mobiles :)). if people can but these kind of stuff they why not music?

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
That can only be said when apple really starts Itunes service...And one of the main driving factors for Itunes being a hit in western countries is that mp3 player is a necessity in those countries....Here every second person carries an Ipod or other mp3 player...The same has to happen in India as well for Apple to stand up and notice...

goobimama

 Macboy
About the LED backlight thingy, don't all LCD have LED backlights? I mean the backlights used for illuminating LCD panels are always LED.
Nope. LED backlits are different from the standard backlits (which are usually flourescent tubes). The standard backlits are unevenly lit, consume more power, have a shorter lifetime.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Nope. LED backlits are different from the standard backlits (which are usually flourescent tubes). The standard backlits are unevenly lit, consume more power, have a shorter lifetime.

*gigasmilies.googlepages.com/13a.gif .. man what are you talking !!! florescent tubes in laptop LCD!!! *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/20a.gif

goobimama

 Macboy
Now I could be way wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it is done. Anyway, for what it's worth, LED backlits are different from standard LCD backlits...

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
^^ What are LCD backlights? There is no such thing! LCD's don't emit light. Thats why they need the help of external illumination. AFAIK all LCD's have LED backlights. Even my age old Electronic Instrumentation textbook with the ancient syllabus agrees with me. Plus i've opened many cell phones and all of them had LED for backlighting their displays. I guess its the same for laptops and larger LCD monitors as well.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ *everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1739404

the www seems to show some difference between normal lcds and "backlit" lcds

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ What are LCD backlights? There is no such thing! LCD's don't emit light. Thats why they need the help of external illumination. AFAIK all LCD's have LED backlights. Even my age old Electronic Instrumentation textbook with the ancient syllabus agrees with me. Plus i've opened many cell phones and all of them had LED for backlighting their displays. I guess its the same for laptops and larger LCD monitors as well.
I never said LCD backlits. When I said "Standard LCD backlits" I meant standard LCD display backlits. I know that LCDs don't emit light. So they need a light source from the behind. So it's either a 'standard backlit' which I think is a flourescent tube based, or an "LED backlit" which is based on LEDs.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
@goob, fluorescent tubes? I'm not sure about that.... Anybody here who has opened laptop LCD's??

@metalhead, yeah Cheetah was a name of one of the older version of Mac OS. I heard a joke that the next one will be called Mac OS X Garfield :D. Then Tom, Sylvester, etc.

goobimama

 Macboy
It turns out I am right. The backlighting is indeed by means of flourescent tubes (although, I'm sure they are nothing like the ones on your wall). CCFL (Cold Cathode flourescent Lamp) is used traditionally, but LEDs are the backlighting source of the new generation of LCDs...
*www.pacificdisplay.com/lcd_backlights.htm

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ yes you are rite.. CCFL

BTW it has taken a lot of time to create a high effeciency White LED... white LED's were know for its higher power consumption. Now I believe semiconductor manufactures have comeup with a solution :).

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Hmmm... Ok. But now that the MacBook has LED backlit display does it have stuff like adjustable backlight? I'd really love if my lappy had adjustable brightness. Or better yet a sensor that adjusts it according to the ambient light like in cell phones. Mine really hurts in the dark.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hmmm... Ok. But now that the MacBook has LED backlit display does it have stuff like adjustable backlight? I'd really love if my lappy had adjustable brightness. Or better yet a sensor that adjusts it according to the ambient light like in cell phones. Mine really hurts in the dark.
Yes it has light sensors along with motions sensors.

The screen brightness changes according to the ambient light conditions and has keyboard backlit (which can also be set to automatic).

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
And that feature was there even in the older displays with the standard backlighting. Mine is an example. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom