Opinion column: Why doth thou ignore Asia, O mighty Apple?

Would you buy Apple products if they...

• ... stayed just the way they are today?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
@Choto:
The current gen Mac Minis come with a DVI port, but a DVI - VGA convertor is given alongwith it. No need to buy it separately.

if I got MacMini for Rs. 20-25K(the 2GHz version) with a Dual Layer DVD Writer(with DVD RAM support) and lightscribe, I will definitely buy it. Also, if they made their Mouse and Keyboard cheaper, or accepted standard keyboard/mice, I would again think of going the apple way. All this only if they don't forget to include the iLife, OSX Tiger with the box.

If The MacBook 13.3" version was available for 40-45K, I would again concider it instead of other laptops, as it will be a value deal.

Also, If they had an option to buy a product without their software suites like OSX, iLife, iWork, etc, I would be really impressed.

But As none of this will ever happen in India, I choose that option. There is no use bothering about what may be done when it will never be done.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Always buy Macs from the USA and try to avoid the tax too. Otherwise they're expensive and out of reach for 95% of us.
Can't really do it if you want to buy the iMac or the Mac Pro.

Also the screen is LED backlit
Uh... your Mac does not have an LED backlit screen. :)

or accepted standard keyboard/mice
All Macs work with standard keyboard and mice. I'm surprised there are people on the Digit forum who do not such a simple fact.

OSX Tiger
The name's Leopard. Mac OS X Leopard. :)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@drgrudge

may i go as layman :lol: So how much extra are you ready to pay (legal way in India) for a Mac Book Pro 15" compare to Dell / HP same config at Rs. 65k ?

is it 10k or 15k, or are you ready to pay 40k extra i mean what would be an acceptable price for u ??

goobimama

 Macboy
Dr's Macbook Pro has an LED backlit. The MBP got it's LED upgrade in June 2007 and has been the same ever since.

All Macs work with standard keyboard and mice. I'm surprised there are people on the Digit forum who do not such a simple fact.

The name's Leopard. Mac OS X Leopard. :)
1. How can I bother remembering the hardware for every indivudual company's hardware?

2. This was the first time I ever mentioned OSX Tiger. Dunno why. Usually I always say leopard... This is as far as I can remember, the first time I mentioned Tiger's existence in text in a forum :?

And I think Choto Cheeta is currently actively campaigning for the Next version of OSX to be called Cheeta, keeping its big cat naming technique and to give free advertising to him :lol:

goobimama

 Macboy
The iMac is quite within reach if you ask me. 64k is not as high a price hike as their notebooks. Even the Macbook@55k is a good deal. It would have been excellent if it included that damned DVD writer.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
1. How can I bother remembering the hardware for every indivudual company's hardware?
It's not a subject of general knowledge. It's common sense. It's not something you need to remember. Every computer that has USB ports can connect to standard keyboards and mice. :)

And I think Choto Cheeta is currently actively campaigning for the Next version of OSX to be called Cheeta, keeping its big cat naming technique and to give free advertising to him :lol:
Cheetah is already done.

Dr's Macbook Pro has an LED backlit. The MBP got it's LED upgrade in June 2007 and has been the same ever since.
OIC. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Dell gives a similar config
(minus)
Mac OS X Leopard
A good display
Good keyboard and trackpad (well, most PC trackpads suck)
It will also be really fat and heavy.
@75k

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
MacBooks @ 55k seems ok. In USA, without tax it's 44k. Otherwise it's overpriced here in India. It's almost certain that I'll get the iPhone this Summer @16k. When that thing comes here, I don't think it'll cost anything less than 30k.

Can't really do it if you want to buy the iMac or the Mac Pro.
Lol, I thought of shipping iMac as well (just like that, no plans to buy iMac). I asked goobi how much does that thing weight. :lol:

Otherwise yeah, you can think of MacBooks and Mac Mini only.

may i go as layman :lol: So how much extra are you ready to pay (legal way in India) for a Mac Book Pro 15" compare to Dell / HP same config at Rs. 65k ?

is it 10k or 15k, or are you ready to pay 40k extra i mean what would be an acceptable price for u ??
Don't compare Dell/HP with Apple. The Dell hardware is sub standard.

Don't compare as it is. With MBP/Mac, you get OS X Leopard, iLife and iWorks preinstalled.

I will continue to buy Apple Macs only. If I can't afford, then I think of other hardware, but I won't think that HP/Dell offers the same config for 40k cheaper.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
drgrudge said:
Don't compare Dell/HP with Apple. The Dell hardware is sub standard.

Subjective comment... but i wont agruee..

I will continue to buy Apple Macs only. If I can't afford, then I think of other hardware, but I won't think that HP/Dell offers the same config for 40k cheaper.

Dell 1520 or XPS M1530 now please customise it as MacBook Pro 15" :) price is Rs. 65k :) (may be 2k here are there due to deliver charge depening on where u are)

HP DV6516tx same as Dell 1525 as price once again 65k :)

where as MacBook Pro is Rs. 105000/- Kolkata :(

Don't compare as it is. With MBP/Mac, you get OS X Leopard, iLife and iWorks preinstalled.

Same hardware config (by mean of Processor / Card / RAM / HDD / DVD RW / std ports / Screen Resolution) / same ammount of warrenty (once again subjective regarding their warrenty and support)

Differnce,

Design / Screen / Software

For that I am asked to pay Rs. 40k extra ?? as i said upto 10 to 15 k at max can be justified from my end !!!!!!

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
The MacBook priced at 55K is perfect. Apple does not wish to target an audience who cannot afford something @ that price.
It's what config they include at that price is what matters. Combo drives are so a thing of the past. I'd love to buy a MacBook with something like
1. 2GB RAM
2. DVD RW ( Blu-ray maybe ? )
3. Around 100 gigs of space
4. A non-white body

Make this thing available for 60-65K and I'd go buy it right away.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, I'd like to add...
The MacBook is the ideal notebook I wish to have. I cannot think of owning a notebook larger than a 14" display. A notebook is for portability, and that's how I like it. 13" to 14".
I have a 19" LCD display with me already. A Mini is small allright, but not really something you'd want to carry around.

enticer86

Stay Silent!
Do these actually exist? Have you ever been to one? Is there one in New Delhi? :)

I've been there- looks so hideous and the outlet was almost empty, if you don't count the salespeople. Plus they were so damn ignorant abt products. I asked if I could expect iPod Nano to be here soon - he just said "No stocks for India yet" Huhhh....

Most people I know don't mind forking out the extra 2-3k for an LCD. Most cybercafe's I've seen have LCDs. One would be really stupid to go in for a CRT these days...

And what's this about Indians being violent while the 'whites' being careful with their things?

Agreed. Infact I am amazed to see the Indian Post Offices having LCD Monitors (though BABUs still work manually, using registers and posting entries in ledgers. lol).

also people are really destructive :( in india :p TFT in public computer in not possible :(

To each his own, I'd say.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I wish they'd upgraded the MacBooks. My MacBook Pro is not the most portable notebook in the world and the one that title belongs to is more expensive than an entire state!

If only they'd made the MacBooks out of aluminium too and cut a pound or two while keeping the price the same, I'd be a happy man. (Of course, it would completely cannibalise MacBook Air sales then, so yeah, from the company's perspective, it does not make much sense.)

enticer86

Stay Silent!
If only they'd made the MacBooks out of aluminium too and cut a pound or two while keeping the price the same, I'd be a happy man.

HEHE... Keeping in mind the notion that "Indians are destructive", I suppose Apple shud use some very hard metal- that's shock proof and heavy- that which can be used as a weapon too... :rolleyes:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Subjective comment... but i wont agruee..
Isn't it a sub standard hardware if it creak while closing the lid, bad trackpad, the rubber grip falling off?

Dell 1520 or XPS M1530 now please customise it as MacBook Pro 15" :) price is Rs. 65k :) (may be 2k here are there due to deliver charge depening on where u are)

HP DV6516tx same as Dell 1525 as price once again 65k :)
I agree that other hardware is cheaper. But as I said earlier, don't compare Apple with other hardware. If I can't afford Apple, I'll think of others but I won't buy HP/Dell because it's 40k cheaper.

Differnce,

Design / Screen / Software
Better hardware parts too. Also simple don't tell software. IMO Mac has the best applications. I'm not partial, other than uTorrent and Foobar, Mac has the best softwares.

If you want to use your PC for any specific application (designing, coding, freelancing, photograph, blogger, editor, etc) isn't it wise to think of a Mac?

By the way, tell me the price of this config lappy (any brand) in India:
- 2.2 Ghz, Intel "Santa Rosa" Platform ie, Centrino Pro not Centrino Duo
- 2 GB RAM @ 800 Mhz (note the speed, not 666/500 Mhz)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 128 MB
- LED-backlit display and 1440X900 resolution for a 15" screen.
- 120 GB HDD
- Apple Remote (that HP remote is too cramped with buttons)
- 802.11n Wi-Fi (not 802.11g)
- Built in 1.3 MP Cam

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
HEHE... Keeping in mind the notion that "Indians are destructive", I suppose Apple shud use some very hard metal- that's shock proof and heavy- that which can be used as a weapon too... :rolleyes:

seems funny statement but when at the ned of the month we see the damage we understand :( people here in my place is destructive...

always picking things with their nails, and such :( TVS gold is only keyboard which lasts :( anything else would not go more than 3 months :( truelly we find metal body head phones :lol: are really effective :lol:

even with CRT we block the buttons for image adjust :( every one would push and push and push for their own needs :( cant use White hardware :( gets dirty fingle prints within 2 months all over the CPU / Monitor / Keybpard mouse :( (thank god black is now cheaper)

so it may seem funy to u, but really a big problem with us :(

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@Arya

Yes, Arya, I use the smile a bit more than any one in this thread...

drgr said:
By the way, tell me the price of this config lappy (any brand) in India:
- 2.2 Ghz, Intel "Santa Rosa" Platform ie, Centrino Pro not Centrino Duo
- 2 GB RAM @ 800 Mhz (note the speed, not 666/500 Mhz)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 128 MB
- LED-backlit display and 1440X900 resolution for a 15" screen.
- 120 GB HDD
- Apple Remote (that HP remote is too cramped with buttons)
- 802.11n Wi-Fi (not 802.11g)
- Built in 1.3 MP Cam

well we dont get exact, as some thing more some thing less... for example, Dell XPS 1530 comes with santa rosa platform !!!

Remote doesnt look too much cramp to me atleast

*www.notebookreview.com/assets/29070.jpg

so here is the config ofcourse u have to upgrade the stuff from basic config (upgrade done by Dell it self),

XPS

Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz (4 MB L2) Santa rosa platform
2 GB DDR-II Dual Channel (yes 667 MHz not 800 Mhz)
256 MB 8600M GT (here we have more grfx)
15" Screen with 1440x900 resolition (but no LED)
160 GB HDD (not 120 GB)
Dell Remote
802.11n Wi-Fi (base is the 802.11g where as u get optional upgrade to the Intel 802.11n)
2.0MP web cam
9 Cell Bat

So both are not quite exact, some thing more sone thing less, but this config comes at Rs. 67k all here at Kolkata

if you compare with some HP product, once again may be some thing more or some thing less be there but price comes at 65 to 70k at max

If you want to use your PC for any specific application (designing, coding, freelancing, photograph, blogger, editor, etc) isn't it wise to think of a Mac?

I agreed with all statemet regarding the software i am not arguing there :p, but oever all, 10 to 15k is the max what would be justified na :( here one would be in need to pay 40k for extra :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom