Official Android discussion thread

ajaymailed

In the zone
Android 2.3, Galaxy S2

the default music player or any other free music player is not reading mp3 files in SD Card. It reads when in internal storage but not in SD Card.

Also the photo gallery does not show all the pics in the storage. Is there any maximum limit for this.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Android 2.3, Galaxy S2

the default music player or any other free music player is not reading mp3 files in SD Card. It reads when in internal storage but not in SD Card.

Also the photo gallery does not show all the pics in the storage. Is there any maximum limit for this.

i too had the same problem last year. card won't get recognized once i rebooted. i had to reboot, unmount remount several times. format too didn't help. ended up getting a new memory card and till now no problem.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Android 2.3, Galaxy S2

It's definitely the card problem, if NO player is able to read the mp3 files.

The unavailability of all the photos in photo gallery is also probably due to the card problem.

Have you checked if the phone is able to read the card at all in the first place? Check it by using a file manager like Astro, whether the contents of the card is shown or not!

Ok, read the Sam's reply later. :oops:
So, probably the card is just damaged! :)

ajaymailed

In the zone
It's definitely the card problem, if NO player is able to read the mp3 files.

The unavailability of all the photos in photo gallery is also probably due to the card problem.

Have you checked if the phone is able to read the card at all in the first place? Check it by using a file manager like Astro, whether the contents of the card is shown or not!

Ok, read the Sam's reply later. :oops:
So, probably the card is just damaged! :)
I ran PowerAMP Trial version, it was able to read every mp3 file & folder in the SD Card. Problem is with default music player.

Even in Photogallery, it was able to read all the photos in SD card when i initially got the phone. But later when number of photos increased, its unable to read all of them.

I am able to access all the contents including music, videos, images etc of SD Card through Myfiles/SD Card/. I just download Astro, its able to read all the contents of the SD Card.

one more doubt
How can easily switch to another task while using browser or watching videos or browsing music without opening task manager, the movie should pause, browser should not stop loading pages. In windows i minimize and access the application through desktop or my computer or directly go to start menu.

if we switch to another application using task manager, Is it like minimizing it or closing it ?

Last edited:

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
^ Press Home Key to go to Home Screen and launch another app.
Most apps should save your data and go in background. (minimize)
Don't know about Movie player, but browser would keep loading.
Re-launch the app to get previous states back. (Maximize)

Remember, the back button on your device serves as close button.
As a developer i could say that, we use back button action to finish/remove the activity/fragment. (you could say task).

Neo

^^^The application may get closed if run out of memory (RAM), And the movie will be paused if you press the home button.
One can also long press the HOME Button to switch between apps, that shows recent apps.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
so they'll be added to the cache processes?
Sorry if I am a bit specific/technical, but here is how android manages it's apps-
When you move to another app/activity the first one's 'onPause'/'onStop' methods are called. A developer may choose to handle this to their advantage.
But even if the app is paused/stopped it's still in memory and can be said as just minimized. For a browser to keep loading a web page, it would have to be in another thread. When app is re-opened they may be in stopped state and could just come back as nothing happened, if it's coded well. (For e.g. a score/weather info. app could refresh the information when resumed.)

By default, activities are not meant to be destroyed/finished unless user wants to. When OS realizes the memory is very low, only then it destroys activities by calling 'onDestroy' method. But it saves data from them and supplies them back when they are re-opened. (Of course a developer would have to use the supplied mechanism for this in their app.) :lol:

One more thing, we do not need to use and should not use 'Task Killers' on our devices. Android itself manages that. And if you are using something like this, it would only cause you battery drain. If there is a rogue app, which drains battery or uses extra memory, uninstall it and find an alternative.

So essentially yeah those are moved to cached processes. :)
When and how, shouldn't matter for us.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Sorry if I am a bit specific/technical, but here is how android manages it's apps-
When you move to another app/activity the first one's 'onPause'/'onStop' methods are called. A developer may choose to handle this to their advantage.
But even if the app is paused/stopped it's still in memory and can be said as just minimized. For a browser to keep loading a web page, it would have to be in another thread. When app is re-opened they may be in stopped state and could just come back as nothing happened, if it's coded well. (For e.g. a score/weather info. app could refresh the information when resumed.)

thanks a lot for the detailed yet simple explanation :)

after a reboot, when apps are not running, launching an app takes longer than when one exits an app. a typical everyday app is opera mini. so this should be the reason.

And if you are using something like this, it would only cause you battery drain. If there is a rogue app, which drains battery or uses extra memory, uninstall it and find an alternative.

facebook & alarm manager causes a lot of wakelocks. removed facebook long ago.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
thanks a lot for the detailed yet simple explanation :)

after a reboot, when apps are not running, launching an app takes longer than when one exits an app. a typical everyday app is opera mini. so this should be the reason.

facebook & alarm manager causes a lot of wakelocks. removed facebook long ago.
You are welcome! :)

I need to use Facebook app even if it's buggy due to my work requirement. :cool:(Facebook SSO is easier if app is installed.)

Top Bottom