Official Android discussion thread

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys. Just bought Samsung galaxy spIca and I'm exploring it right Now.
Getting It to connect to my wifI Network was a huge headache so is connecting to gprs. Also I'm not able to type in small "i" in dictionary. See spIca and wifI. :p

Last edited:
OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Getting It to connect to my wifI Network was a huge headache so is connecting to gprs. Also I'm not able to type in small "i" in dictionary. See spIca and wifI. :p

Dude you will overcome such tiny niggles within a day of usage. BTW there is a arrow key (left side of the keyboard) to change case.

BTW congrats. Waiting eagerly for your review!

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Dude you will overcome such tiny niggles within a day of usage. BTW there is a arrow key (left side of the keyboard) to change case.

BTW congrats. Waiting eagerly for your review!
Thank you :)
I have exams right now. So will do that once I'm free.
BTW the problem is not with me. No matter which case I select, it's always Capital "I" in T9 add to dictionary mode.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I am not really sure what you mean and I dont think t9 mode exists on Android phone. Its just some intelligent guesses that the OS does basis your input. Nevertheless as mentioned before these little annonoyances will gradually go away.

BTW posting this from my Magic phone everything works fine.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
I am not really sure what you mean and I dont think t9 mode exists on Android phone. Its just some intelligent guesses that the OS does basis your input. Nevertheless as mentioned before these little annonoyances will gradually go away.

BTW posting this from my Magic phone everything works fine.
Android keyboard works with no problems. But the samsung keyboard mode seems to be buggy.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Android Folks on TDF
Amitabhishek
Filled-Void
Sunny
Ksundar
Dhan_shh
Pat
Add me too :))

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Plzz suggest a timed profiles app for 1.5 Cupcake

I will use 1.5 for a while before switching to 2.X, are the above mentioned rom's in previous posts compatible with Galaxy Spica??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Ever since I started fiddling with new apps. I notice the battery to be draining much faster, looks like apps are running in background??? How can I see open apps list and How would I close an app, without running in background.
BTW suggest me any screen capture app :)
I've tried Shoot me and it is not starting and asking for "root".
What is "root", is it like jailbreaking ??

When I hold home button for a few seconds, a list of 6 apps pops up, what are those?? Open apps or recently used apps?

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ever since I started fiddling with new apps. I notice the battery to be draining much faster, looks like apps are running in background??? How can I see open apps list and How would I close an app, without running in background.
Advanced Task Killer . Get it from Google Market. Theres quite a few but this one works fine.

BTW suggest me any screen capture app
ddms in Android SDK . I forgot the name of the application but it should be in one of my posts in this thread after I flashed my phone.
I was assuming you rooted your phone. Rooting refers to giving you full access to the features of your phone and its OS. The applications in Android Market all require root access for taking screenshots I believe the other way of not requiring the above is by using ddms to take screen captures. Check the following link it has pictures demonstrating the same.
*www.simplehelp.net/2009/07/21/how-to-take-screenshots-of-your-android-based-phone-from-windows/
When I hold home button for a few seconds, a list of 6 apps pops up, what are those?? Open apps or recently used apps?
Recently used.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I will use 1.5 for a while before switching to 2.X, are the above mentioned rom's in previous posts compatible with Galaxy Spica??

No. The above mentioned ROMs are for HTC phones. None of us have a Samsung phone here. Probably you need to do some R & D here. One link is as under:

*samsung-firmware.webs.com/apps/auth/login?why=pw&try=1&wp=1&next=WEBPROTECT-samsungandroidi5700.htm

Some custom Samsung ROMs are XXJC3, DDJB2. Probably Google will help you. But honestly I guess its kinda early for you to try new ROMs. Just enjoy the OEM ROM for time being :).

You need to switch off GPRS (use apndroid application from market), wifi & Google sync. if you are not using them. Active wireless connections drain battery really fast. Check display and reduce brightness to less than 50%. Easier way to do this is: Do a short press of "Menu"; once pop-up opens select "add" -> "widgets" -> "power controls" . This will help you toggle wifi and control screen brightness right from home screen

Download Android SDK from Google and follow tut link shared by Fillvoid. For a first timer taking screen shots can be a pain. But once configured its a cakewalk.

This is similar to alt+tab button in Ubuntu/Windows.

Amit

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the info @filledvoid @amitabhishek
I plan to use OEM rom for atleast a month before I even try to fiddle it with. I just wanted some heads-up.
This is similar to alt+tab button in Ubuntu/Windows.
Looks like it is recently opened apps list as mentioned by Filledvoid coz even when just 3 apps are running,that list shows 6 app.

Is there any other way to lock my phone other than the unlock pattern mode??

Last edited:

devilz666

Broken In

I have my frnd's Spica with me for a mnth, and it is an awesome phone for that price.

anyways, gprs worked kinda out of the box for me and wi-fi did too, just had to configure modem (i am on bsnl wi-fi modem, that's why) settings :D

oh and I updated to unofficial 2.1 it's sexy but bit sluggish :D

I am sure that after a mnth's work i'll find it hard to survive w/o android phone, so i am sure abt buying one (or a HTC win mobile and hack it for android :D )

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

X10 on the way. Asked my Uncle in Sweden to get me one. Cant wait.!! :D

dude, envy, price? :O

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

How is Samsung Galaxy its priced aroung 14k in india. is it a good buy?

Galaxy Spica is a better choice, cheaper and better ( for two reasons, 800 MHz proccy and official update to 2.1, that'll happen soon)

jain_pranav

Broken In
Im confused b/w htc tattoo & samsung galaxy spica i5700..
Samsung soon to get official 2.1 update..
Few things i didnt like in htc tattoo are

1.Resistive touchscreen as compared 2 capacitive in spica
2.QVGA display

Kindly suggest which 1 i shud go 4?

I wanna buy an android phone n thats 4 sure :)

abhijeet_ghosh

Journeyman
Has anybody got an idea when Motorola is launching Quench (CliQ XT) in India. I'm quite interested in buying it and would like to know what would be its price.

Link for it:
*www.gsmarena.com/motorola_quench-3153.php

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I have been using this keyboard for few days and this is really good! A very noble way of typing or shall I say swiping :). My speed has also increased to an extent.

Grab it from here and give it a shot. Its fun and surprisingly very very accurate. Don't forget to take the small (in- built) tutorial before you start using it. Install and have fun :). Should work on Samsung phones too.

*img693.imageshack.us/img693/6549/swype.png

P.S. I hope developers have patented this before Apple copies and counter sues them ;-).

Top Bottom