Official Android discussion thread

*prays really hard that the HTC desire is release under 30k officially in India* :)
Yoy've really been itching to get your hands on one of those awesome Android devices, aren't ya? :)

Maemo is actually better than even iPhone OS.
Yeah sure! That's like saying Windows Vista is better than Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

I have used N810 albeit briefly and it was brilliant. By that yardstick N900 should also be a great device. Its pity that as far as India is concerned Nokia believes in giving us a rat's a$s. BTW N900 still sports a resistive screen and a stylus:???:.

Resistive screen? Stylus? C'mon Nokia! .....N900 is like a brick with touch screen. Capacitive screen FTW!

dreams

Gracias Senor
Do I have to activate just the GPRS/EDGE for my Hero or it is advisable to go for a data plan??
I am currently with AirTel.

dreams

Gracias Senor
I do have that activated, but somewhere I read we need a data plan for proper browsing since GPRS/EDGE will work for only Google apps.

Anyways, thnx for the clarification. And any tips for increasing battery life?

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
I do have that activated, but somewhere I read we need a data plan for proper browsing since GPRS/EDGE will work for only Google apps.

Anyways, thnx for the clarification. And any tips for increasing battery life?

EDGE is full fledged wireless internet. It can be used to browse all the sites as well as to tether your laptop etc.

Switch off all the wireless connections if you don't need them; this enhances the battery life to a great extent. Switching off streaming widgets also enhances battery.You can also control screen brightness so keep it optimized according to your needs. I think thats about it; IMO these smart phones can be quite a battery drainers.

dreams

Gracias Senor
Tnx a bunch m8. And how to conn Hero to my lappy and use Airtel MO. Internet tethering I mean. Browsing from lappy using Airtel from Hero.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah sure! That's like saying Windows Vista is better than Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
You obviously didn't know about Nokia N900, as you termed it 'Symbian'. Use first and then talk. When are we getting Flash on the iPhone? eh?

A small eye opener for you :p - *www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUwvaTmXWQ and *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo

Maemo also makes Android look like over-rated sh1te.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Resistive is a -ve point, yes.

But, I seriously :lol:-ed @ that Windows Vista vs Snow Leo comparison.

Wait for Maemo 6 and new devices to come out. :p

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Tnx a bunch m8. And how to conn Hero to my lappy and use Airtel MO. Internet tethering I mean. Browsing from lappy using Airtel from Hero.

I haven't tried tethering & I don't know about Windows but in Linux you can try following in terminal:

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

If it detects a USB modem then we are on right track. After that edit wvdial with the dial-in phone number (e.g.such as #555) from Airtel and hopefully things should get going.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sony Ericsson X10 mini - *img.gsmarena.com/vv/bigpic/se-x10-mini.jpg
There you get an entry level Android.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini pro - *img.gsmarena.com/vv/bigpic/se-x10-mini-pro.jpg

with QWERTY. ;)

Click the images for specifications.

Last edited:
Top Bottom