Obstacles in shifting from Windows to Linux

Hi, I was thinking what all could be the problems in making a complete shift from Windows to Ubuntu? I know games don't work in Linux (as of today), but is that it? Is that the only problem? Are there any other problems that one may face?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
some windows games really works great on linux using apps like Wine, GameTree Linux ( formerly known as Cedega ), CrossOver and they not only help running games but you can run most of your favorite windows apps as well but if you do have some special software which only works on windows OS be sure to find an alternative first ( but most of the app have do alternative linux version - you just need to get used to those ) or you can use Virtual Machine apps like VMware, Virtual Box to run windows OS into linux.

So apart from some* game and apps linux now has everything ( wifi, multimedia, instant hardware detection without the need of any special drivers * etc. ) and sometime even may be better - you just need to chose the most appropriate version for you.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^not so sure about driver availability/compatibility especially laptops/atypical hardware:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/171987-micromax-mmx-400r-not-working-ubuntu-12-10-a.html

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
dependency hell, initial configuration (setting up net, installing sw)... still a problem with many good distros

choice - there are too many questions, using lunix means you can customize everything, and you have to go around making those choices, desktop environment, file system, packaging, boot loader, distribution...

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Well
1. some developments tools available in windows is not available in linux...VBOX is good option but has issues...
2.Drivers are issues but nowadays newer hardware are mostly supported without any install.I got a wacom tablet
and surprised it worked on plugging in without installing driver from cd like win7.

So i use linux only for browsing and movies...if games and tools come to linux it will be great.

Flash

Lost in speed
I once deleted a partition with GB of songs, while installing Ubuntu.
From that time on, i stay away from installing it.

Though, i boot it with live-usb whenever i want to check the new distros that came along with Magazine DVDs.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
dependency hell, initial configuration (setting up net, installing sw)... still a problem with many good distros

choice - there are too many questions, using lunix means you can customize everything, and you have to go around making those choices, desktop environment, file system, packaging, boot loader, distribution...

if you have a stable net connection using modem/lan able then it won'be a very big issue nowadays .. I've faced such issues with dependency and initial config for net connection using a Nokia 2112 DKU5 cable but back on 2006/2007 may be.

I really like the choices one make during installing linux but there's easier method always available from pre selected option .. actually this starts from the very begining .. choosing a distro that suits one's needs best .. for me it's Mint, Open Suse, Fedora and Knoppix.

Well
1. some developments tools available in windows is not available in linux...VBOX is good option but has issues...
2.Drivers are issues but nowadays newer hardware are mostly supported without any install.I got a wacom tablet
and surprised it worked on plugging in without installing driver from cd like win7.

So i use linux only for browsing and movies...if games and tools come to linux it will be great.

talking about driver I've similar experience with a D-Link modem ( USB cable connection ).

Anish

Spectre
You have alternatives for almost all softwares, I am very much satisfied with Linux and even forgot my windows password (dual boot). Its just a matter of preference. If you are just starting, try mint / Ubuntu / suse.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Well, most of them do. Why do you think I have a dual boot :p ?
But things are changing as you blink......

Yeah. many games are already available for Linux. And Steam for Linux is another major breakthrough. And now Alienwares are shipping with Linux too.

Rajesh345

Youngling
For me issue with Linux Ubuntu was if I install graphics driver via Auto(via Option in Ubuntu(Restricted / property hardware enable wizard

or using terminal way to download and installl latest. ATI graphic driver (hd5750). Unity will fail to load. and I am presented with blank screen

Did try many methods to install the driver but same result

Us there any ubuntu users who using latest or semi latest ATI HD 5000 series card and working properly ?

Top Bottom