Obstacles in shifting from Windows to Linux

deadcode00

Broken In
Well i was using Ubuntu 12.04 with my HD 6850 without any problem.. If anybody want to switch from windows to Linux I will suggest zorin os .. Because u can change its appearance to windows 7 and many other os type like xp,Mac,unity.. Its based on Ubuntu and stable as well..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
zorin sounds very impressive and thanks for sharing. Anyway, there was a distro Linux XP a long time backbut it's discontinued now and Vixta which has changed to Open Xange.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Us there any ubuntu users who using latest or semi latest ATI HD 5000 series card and working properly ?
Running everything fine here with HD 6950 and HD 6470M.

Try these instructions for running Catalyst - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/open-sour...ould-i-choose-queries-here-7.html#post1981390

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Us there any ubuntu users who using latest or semi latest ATI HD 5000 series card and working properly ?

Using Ubuntu with fglrx on HD7670M, and working fine. For me, Additional Drivers(gtk-jockey) app never works (I have Ubuntu on a system with HD5470M too).
I just download the .run file from AMD website, and manually install. The only downside to this method is, in case of a kernel update, you have to re-install your drivers.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only downside to this method is, in case of a kernel update, you have to re-install your drivers.
No, if you have dkms installed, you don't have to do this.

dkms makes the module again for the new kernel (automatically) when the kernel gets updated.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
No, if you have dkms installed, you don't have to do this.

dkms makes the module again for the new kernel (automatically) when the kernel gets updated.

I knew dkms does this for virtual box modules, didn't know it does so for manually installed drivers as well.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Whatever is comfortable to you. I now use Ubuntu as my primary OS, and dual-boot into windows only for gaming.

Top Bottom