Nvidia unleashes the Titan

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
TDP is actually the rating of heat which needs to be dissipated by the cooler. It's not the power consumption of the chip although you can get an idea about it. Companies calculate TDP differently.

anyway, apparently these were posted on nVidia's website and then taken off.

*i.imgur.com/rLAiQVU.png

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yeah they were taken off cause nvidia released a new driver for titan, probably 314.97 or something else. Thus the benchmarks were delayed until tomorrow.
I guess this is the only valid reason one could think off about the delay.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Correct me if I'm wrong:a single 7970 consumer about 280 W of power, so a cf should consume about 560 W of power. On the other hand gtx690 is rated at 300 W of power. If we assume titan to consume 350 W (although I believe it will consume much less) of power, even then there's a 210 W of power difference (of course at load).

tkin

Back to school!!
Correct me if I'm wrong:a single 7970 consumer about 280 W of power, so a cf should consume about 560 W of power. On the other hand gtx690 is rated at 300 W of power. If we assume titan to consume 350 W (although I believe it will consume much less) of power, even then there's a 210 W of power difference (of course at load).
7970GHz edition is the one that beats the 680, and it draws 300w.

Ico's image confirms my belief. Slower than the 690, but faster than the 680.
I believe Titan worst case 70%, best 120% of 690, SLI scaling is not even near 100%

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
This is a card thats meant to be used either for Compute or in SLI. Thats the only reason IMO that its priced at $999 and the lower power consumption figures. Because a farm/multigpu setup with the Titan, say for animators/researchers rendering/calculating something makes a lot of sense with the scalability and lower power bills. Just my 2 cents. There is a good market for such cards.

I have seen some Reviews of Crysis 3, which state that even 680 or 7970 cant play the game at the max. possible settings. And in enthusiast range its more about bragging rights and statisfaction of being able to play all games at highest settings for at least 2-3 years. The Titan is the only card at this moment which can do all that, along with low sound and heat dissipation and low power consumption. I think most of the people willing to buy a PC for 130k or 150k would definitely go for the titan.
This is going to be like 8800 which many people still use in their pcs for gaming..

BTW.. does any have an idea when the bench marks will be revealed....I am waiting for them eagerly.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
Actually, you can get a 690 which would be a better bet for gaming at this price point. Or two 680s.

I have access to a system with two 670 in SLI and it plays Crysis 3 beta at everything set to maximum without batting an eyelid @ 1080p.

^
Actually, you can get a 690 which would be a better bet for gaming at this price point. Or two 680s.

I have access to a system with two 670 in SLI and it plays Crysis 3 beta at everything set to maximum without batting an eyelid @ 1080p.

The 690 is same cost as Titan, however titan has more vram, lower power, heat etc and SLI or CF experience isnt same as a single GPU. Also 2 680's cost more than a single titan, not to mention requiring a better MB, PSU, cabinet and cooling.
The textures and graphics in Crysis 3 are much better than the beta... source "Totalbiscuit".

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yes, but a 690 will outperform a Titan in most games at the same price. Why would you buy a Titan then, unless of course you want an SLI setup?

tkin

Back to school!!
How did you measure it? Or an approximation?
A few months back, I went on a vacation, for a month or so(32 days), when the bill came later I just compared it to the other months and last year and calculated the difference in units consumed, the cost came out to be 1k appx, and yes, except me no one in my home gets to touch my PC(until I go to hyd later).

Also in this time, no other variables were present, like the fan wasn't spinning as its winter, the lights were turned on in normal manner, I did similar calculations before, the cost came out to be about 800-1000/ always, rough guess, but none the less a good guess.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's with PC completely turned off. How are you going to know about the differences across hardware?

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Difference across hardware... hmm

50 watts difference, 8 hours a day (doesn't happen), 365 days a year?

0.05 * 8 * 365 = 146 units.

Rs. 5 per unit? Rs. 730...........in one year. lool.

tkin

Back to school!!
That's with PC completely turned off. How are you going to know about the differences across hardware?
My mistake, :p

Difference across hardware... hmm

50 watts difference, 8 hours a day (doesn't happen), 365 days a year?

0.05 * 8 * 365 = 146 units.

Rs. 5 per unit? Rs. 730...........in one year. lool.
50w? More like 300w.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ ico

Ico i don't think units are constant these days. There are slab structures which are only rising.
It will be like Rs 5 for the first 50 units and rises when it crosses that barrier of minimum units.
Since a typical house has a lot of other appliances and devices rather than a gaming pc only, the units will be on a rise constantly
and the minimum threshold will always be surpassed early in a standard house of four members or more. Not even taking into account of a geyser or an AC.

I can't give exact figures but this is how it is. The same reason why our member S_V bought a 55 inch lg led cinema 3d instead of Panasonic plasma 3dtv of same size.
The former has a max power consumption of 75 watts and the latter was 300+ watts. As per his calculations, the savings cannot be ignored due to the current rising tariffs in Hyderabad.

I guess the situation is same through out the country.

tkin

Back to school!!
@ ico

Ico i don't think units are constant these days. There are slab structures which are only rising.
It will be like Rs 5 for the first 50 units and rises when it crosses that barrier of the min units.
Since a typical house has a lot of other appliances and devices rather than a gaming pc only, the units will be on a rise constantly
and the minimum threshold will always be surpassed early in a standard house of four members or more. Not even taking into account of a geyser or an AC.

I can't give exact figures but this is how it is. The same reason why our member S_V bought a 55 inch lg led cinema 3d instead of Panasonic plasma 3dtv of same size.
The former has a max power consumption of 75 watts and the latter was 300+ watts. As per his calculations, the savings cannot be ignored due to the current rising tariffs in Hyderabad.

I guess the situation is same through out the country.
Its hell now in kolkata, 6/- is the base price, and we get 3-4k bills during summer :cry:

And that too from one ac, and my PC, hence I was thinking about getting raspberry pi.

300w means it uses .3 units per hour: So .3 * 10 hours * 30 days= 90 units. 90 * 6.50 = Rs. 585 per month. 7020 per year.. This means upto 21060 for 3 years, average life time of a high end card...
Even at 5 per unit, this costs upto 16200 for 3 years or atleast 11k for 2 years..
This is only the diference caused by change in graphic card, add to that the cooling system like fans, radiators etc....

Add to that gaming during weekends and holidays..

tkin

Back to school!!
300w means it uses .3 units per hour: So .3 * 10 hours * 30 days= 90 units. 90 * 6.50 = Rs. 585 per month. 7020 per year.. This means upto 21060 for 3 years, average life time of a high end card...
Even at 5 per unit, this costs upto 16200 for 3 years or atleast 11k for 2 years..
This is only the diference caused by change in graphic card, add to that the cooling system like fans, radiators etc....

My father would burn me in a stake or my landlord will evict me, also add to that the cost of buying a 2kw UPS ;)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

So you are gaming 10 hours per day? Brilliant. :p

Top Bottom