Nvidia unleashes the Titan

i will buy this card!

and with all the advanced next gen techs it offers... i think 65k is a reasonable price for this. gtx 690 is of the same price where it offers only 2 gigs of effective vram and the titan has 6 gigs of it... so one dont have to worry about bottlenecking of any sorts.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I found the person who will buy this card! I know this is too much trolling but dont ban me for this
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/170402-advice-my-frndz.html#post1846021

:rofl:It was hilarious mate. :)

On a serious note, somebody please close or delete that thread.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
7950 tri CF :lol: Meant for dumb-heads for sure.
I mean, no sane person in the planet having disposable income will spend on three guzzling and noisy gpu's.
Scaling will be inconsistent and unworthy.
Besides, the problems associated with three cards in CF is way worse than two.

Neither those sane persons are going to spend so much on a single GPU if it offers far lesser performance than comparative dual GPU setups which are cheaper also.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Neither those sane persons are going to spend so much on a single GPU if it offers far lesser performance than comparative dual GPU setups which are cheaper also.

Lets see how it fares in the benches tomorrow. Compute is a different scenario altogether and compute performance does not scale in dual gpu's at all and is limited to single gpu performance.
But if this performs close to a 690, its going to be a breakthrough in gpu industry especially considering its power consumption which is just higher than a 7970 ghz ed :shock:

Ok here's a link to show some statistics. the results aren't debatable in any form though. Guys, take it purely from a statistical point of view.

Nvidia GPUs Weather Tough PC Market in Q3, but Intel, AMD Suffer

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Four reasons:
First: No dual GPU will beat Titan, period, be it compute or gaming.
Second: Power consumption and heat, A 7970CF draws around 600w, this will draw 300w, and hence less temps, noise etc etc.
Third: More VRAM, max Vram for 7970 is 3GB, even in CF, this is a single card with 6GB accessible VRAM, this card, once purchased will remain valid till 2018 for sure.
Fourth: No microstuttering or compatibility issues that both CF and SLI has. Forget Tri CF/SLI, its a mess, and not everyone has 3xPcieX16 slot, more like 2xPcieX16+1xPcieX8 or even worse for most intel users, 2xPcieX8+1xPcieX4 :|

This card is a wise investment for:
1. Devs, specially cuda, open cl(compute) devs, a tesla costs 3-4 times more but provides only 10-20% increase, also tesla is a co processor, it has no display output, so no standalone. I might get a titan if I ever wish to learn compute, as far as platforms go, CUDA is more mature than Open CL, any given day.
2. Anyone who can spend enough for 7970CF, or 680SLI, believe it or not I can see at least a few hundred guys on guru 3d, hard ocp alone who has these kind of setups and the buzz there is many of them are considering the switch to titan.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ gta0gagan

You are spot on buddy. Titan is currently world's fastest supercomputer and is situated in oakridge national laboratories. It has a huge cluster of amd opteron 8 core cpu's and nvidia K20X tesla gpu's.

Geforce Titan architecture is based on that tesla K20X gpu used in "Titan" supercomputer. Therefore its marketed in this fashion. :)
The name "Titan" is honestly striking.

sukesh1090

Adam young
i may be wrong but my question is how many people bought 690 or 7990 or even 590/6990?very very less people.thats why this time AMD didn't even bothered to release a 7990 from its side and relied upon those custom 7990s from asus and all.same thing gonna happen with this.you won't need this much of performance for gaming,you only need this for bragging around or for developing purposes.for gaming 7970 or 680 are better choices and are more than enough for atleast foreseeable future.

gameranand

Living to Play
Well there are many people who buy 7970 CF or 680 SLI. For them its good and for anything less its just a waste really. Maybe it will help to bring down the prices which will be good for others. As for now its not much of use for normal people.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Four reasons:
First: No dual GPU will beat Titan, period, be it compute or gaming.
Second: Power consumption and heat, A 7970CF draws around 600w, this will draw 300w, and hence less temps, noise etc etc.
Third: More VRAM, max Vram for 7970 is 3GB, even in CF, this is a single card with 6GB accessible VRAM, this card, once purchased will remain valid till 2018 for sure.
Fourth: No microstuttering or compatibility issues that both CF and SLI has. Forget Tri CF/SLI, its a mess, and not everyone has 3xPcieX16 slot, more like 2xPcieX16+1xPcieX8 or even worse for most intel users, 2xPcieX8+1xPcieX4 :|

This card is a wise investment for:
1. Devs, specially cuda, open cl(compute) devs, a tesla costs 3-4 times more but provides only 10-20% increase, also tesla is a co processor, it has no display output, so no standalone. I might get a titan if I ever wish to learn compute, as far as platforms go, CUDA is more mature than Open CL, any given day.
2. Anyone who can spend enough for 7970CF, or 680SLI, believe it or not I can see at least a few hundred guys on guru 3d, hard ocp alone who has these kind of setups and the buzz there is many of them are considering the switch to titan.

This.:) You are again spot on here. Its kind of a boon for aspiring cuda and open-cl devs. Everybody is starting to get serious on gpgpu computing and the future indeed lies there.
Buddy i was going through AMD's own open-cl documents ( it was like a crash course) and found it interesting and relative comfortable to grasp. You can go through them if you like.

Open-cl code is basically modified "C" with pointer concepts completely stripped off. Titan is a serious product in this aspect. :)

i may be wrong but my question is how many people bought 690 or 7990 or even 590/6990?very very less people.thats why this time AMD didn't even bothered to release a 7990 from its side and relied upon those custom 7990s from asus and all.same thing gonna happen with this.you won't need this much of performance for gaming,you only need this for bragging around or for developing purposes.for gaming 7970 or 680 are better choices and are more than enough for atleast foreseeable future.

May not be in india but the market exists abroad. 690 sells believe it or not. The card's design and build will simply woo customers and titan draws inspiration from the same.
You can check hardocp, guru3d and other international forums to see the no. of users that have such setups. Titan really has a market considering the way its being marketed. :)

People are also considering to buy a Titan tri-sli. :grin:

tkin

Back to school!!
A. Not many in India, but abroad, the forums are full of people boasting 7970CF or 680SLI, no the question comes why not 690? Because, 690=2x680, now if you buy the dual GPU setup, later you could sell one off, or send one for RMA and still keep playing with the other, or its easier to install water cooling blocks on them individually, also note overall, 2x cards will have less temps and run cooler than the 690.

B. Amd never released the 7990 because of the same reason nVidia never released the 490, they couldn't keep the power consumption and heat in check, 2x7970 would draw around 500-600w, thereby crossing the pcie specs completely, also such a card would require probably 4x power connectors on one card and the power circuitry would be a mess, and cooling would be a nightmare.

This will sell man, this will sell good, people go dual gpu because dual gpu provides faster performance than the single gpu setup costing the same, eg: 2x7870>7970, but Titan=2x680, so the price vs performance breaks even, with that we have lower power consumption and heat, not to mention 3 times the VRAM over 680 and Twice that of 7970.

tkin

Back to school!!
I can buy three laptops in that price.....
Yeah, but again I could buy 2xAlto for the price of Jazz, or 2xScorpio for the price of Fortuner, still people buy them, we won't, people will.

PS: It would sound better if you had said you could buy 3x 7950 for that price, your comparison is like apples to oranges, no offense :|

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Yeah, but again I could buy 2xAlto for the price of Jazz, or 2xScorpio for the price of Fortuner, still people buy them, we won't, people will.

PS: It would sound better if you had said you could buy 3x 7950 for that price, your comparison is like apples to oranges, no offense :|

Agree. This behemoth probably wont best the 690 on a few comparisons, but then again it isnt meant to I guess. This one is for scalability (and for people who buy a merc instead of two accords) and nothing will come close in that regard I suppose. Waiting for the benchmarks.

tkin

Back to school!!
Titan will offer double the performance of GTX690, as said by Nvidia
Not hard to believe, cause of the 7.1B transistors, and the fact Tesla GPUs are really powerful, the hard to believe part is the 250w TDP.

Holy hell, did you just say Titan=2x690? I overlooked it, no way in heaven or hell that will happen, I think you mean 2x680, for that my comment above applies.

My explanation:

250w TDP when gaming with compute units turned off from control panel.
400w TDP when using full compute.

Last edited:
OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Not hard to believe, cause of the 7.1B transistors, and the fact Tesla GPUs are really powerful, the hard to believe part is the 250w TDP.

My explanation:

250w TDP when gaming with compute units turned off from control panel.
400w TDP when using full compute.

He he, 250 W TDP is really hard to believe. I don't agree on your explanation, no offence.

Top Bottom