Nvidia unleashes the Titan

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
:D :D :D

tell that to engineering students :D :rofl:
^
Three sets of exams in a semester and two semesters in an year =~ 6 weekends gone. Thats 1.5 months' weekends. Now I'd be really surprised if someone were gaming "all weekend" on those weekends as well when they have an exam the following monday and still pass engineering course in 4 years. Agreed that, that will be kind of made up for during the semester break, but still the statement is nearly accurate IMO.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guru3D's rumored numbers:-

*cdn.overclock.net/8/8d/8d67f573_Guru3dComparison.jpeg

*cdn.overclock.net/1/1f/1fe362ba_Guru3dComparison1920.jpeg

Source

tkin

Back to school!!
^
Three sets of exams in a semester and two semesters in an year =~ 6 weekends gone. Thats 1.5 months' weekends. Now I'd be really surprised if someone were gaming "all weekend" on those weekends as well when they have an exam the following monday and still pass engineering course in 4 years. Agreed that, that will be kind of made up for during the semester break, but still the statement is nearly accurate IMO.

Engineering students :cool:

What study? What exam? Where?

And I only studied for 2 weeks before exams, that's it.

Guru3D's rumored numbers:-

Source
If this is true, it falls right in my predicted range, i.e 80-120% of 690, anyway lets wait for the real reviews, with possibly real whql drivers, this is a brand new architecture we're talking about.

And note, the more the resolution, the more Titan shows it fangs, wonder what it could do on 3x1080p monitors :D :D (sarcasm) :evil:

What the hell is wrong with the titan, slowing down as you crank up the res? The hell? Why can't it close the gap with the 690 when it's clearly doing so(increasing gaps) with the single GPU cards? :evil: :evil:

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
I wonder why the heck its taking so long for the reviews to appear??
Few reviews came up but were removed (as mentioned by skud) by Nvidia. Nvidia is preparing a new driver specifically for that card and they do not want any reviews to be posted without using that optimized driver, so Nvidia is postponing all reviews.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder why the heck its taking so long for the reviews to appear??

May be the drivers. They have to justify the positioning of this product against the existing ones, which are running on far more mature drivers.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Engineering students :cool:

What study? What exam? Where?

And I only studied for 2 weeks before exams, that's it.

Twice a year right? That makes it four weeks, ~30 days (not weekends of four weeks, 8 days)
And never for any interim exams?

I was an engineering student too, not so long back. And I used to study only on the weekend preceding the exams. Still I couldnt game as much as I'd have liked.

This will be my last OT post about this btw.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
First one :grin:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN SLI & Tri-SLI Review | techPowerUp

They are here:

*www.anandtech.com/show/6774/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-2-titans-performance-unveiled

*www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_review,1.html

*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/1.html

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^Yes, because techpowerup's reviews are up and running. :D

*tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/images/perfrel_1920.gif

*tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_Titan/images/perfwatt_1920.gif

How many hours actually they clock that is important. Out of those 48 hours, almost half will be gone towards sleep, bath, eating etc. And if they are students, weekends of at least 2 months will go for preparation of exams, meaning no or lesser gaming. And there will be a pretty significant difference in power consumption while playing CS as against BF3.

Buddy again I am not talking about college students.. even you said a college student cant afford high end cards. By your logic they wont be able to buy a 30k card too.
As any highend card this not one for masses.. but for enthusiast gamers. The thing is wether it is more vfm than a 690 or 7990.. a college student would never dream of getting them, if he has no time....

Please find me a serious gamer who sleeps more than 6 hours a day.... also a college student who is very much into games and is more into studies than games. Heck even I was detained for an year in college for bunking exams, playing games. And I know many kids doing the same in gaming zone around the city (Hyd).
Any serious gamer would log 6 hours easily every day and Yes during weekends we do play for long hours sometimes 18 hours. You just need to pause the game to go to pee or eat. you dont shut down the whole system..
Dont you have any friends who are into CS, DOTA, BF3 etc.. ask them how long they play. I am talking about serious gamers... not casual gamers...

tkin

Back to school!!
^^Yes, because techpowerup's reviews are up and running. :D
Close to my prediction(within 80-120% of 690), BUT :| :|

Nice, but if it really costs $999 at launch, then its not that fast to justify the prices, would be if at at least had a positive, any positive(even 1%) lead over 690, but its overall 12% slower, so this should not be priced over $900, you give 10% less for 10% less performance.

Buddy again I am not talking about college students.. even you said a college student cant afford high end cards. By your logic they wont be able to buy a 30k card too.
As any highend card this not one for masses.. but for enthusiast gamers. The thing is wether it is more vfm than a 690 or 7990.. a college student would never dream of getting them, if he has no time....

Please find me a serious gamer who sleeps more than 6 hours a day.... also a college student who is very much into games and is more into studies than games. Heck even I was detained for an year in college for bunking exams, playing games. And I know many kids doing the same in gaming zone around the city (Hyd).
Any serious gamer would log 6 hours easily every day and Yes during weekends we do play for long hours sometimes 18 hours. You just need to pause the game to go to pee or eat. you dont shut down the whole system..
Dont you have any friends who are into CS, DOTA, BF3 etc.. ask them how long they play. I am talking about serious gamers... not casual gamers...
Hell man, I game a lot, but still I was never that serious, you're pure hardcore.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anandtech's results show it consistently slower than a pair of 680 or 7970GE across resolutions and settings. The pricing is simply not justified.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@skud

Exactly. I'm not impressed too:( Maybe the drivers are a bit early to exploit this thing.
Wonder why tomshardware haven't posted their review yet? I was interested in their compute benches.

Not worth for $999 now.

tkin

Back to school!!
Anandtech's results show it consistently slower than a pair of 680 or 7970GE across resolutions and settings. The pricing is simply not justified.
So, is the street price still $999?

Its simply a way for nVidia to cash in the broken tesla chips. The perf/watt and temps could entice lots of people though, but not as many as a 10% lead over 690 would have done.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Pausing online games? And do you think the power consumption is same while seeing the game menu and actually gaming?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
This was expected. I just want to see the compute performance. My guess is that it'll take a sizeable lead in that department. A lead that justifies the pricing. This monster was never really threatening the 690. It couldnt, its simply got fewer resources to do that. But compute results should be interesting.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, is the street price still $999?

Its simply a way for nVidia to cash in the broken tesla chips.
The perf/watt and temps could entice lots of people though, but not as many as a 10% lead over 690 would have done.

I am pretty much sure, this is the only real reason. :D

\\much ado about nothing.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Finally toms ;)

Benchmarking GeForce GTX Titan 6 GB: Fast, Quiet, Consistent : GeForce GTX Titan: Putting Rarified Rubber To The Road

Last edited:
Top Bottom