No sound from PC

swapnaprasad

Right off the assembly line
My PC suddenly stopped playing sounds from its speakers. OS is XP sp3. I had also installed Linux Mint 10. For some days I was getting sound when using Mint but not in XP. After a few days there is no sound from both XP and Mint. I have tried several remedies suggested in many sites to no avail. I am not able to uninstall the Realtek Driver. There are no errors when i try to uninstall. It just does not go. IU have no sound card only on board sound.

I repaired my Windows, installed another copy of XP in another partition etc but still no use. Help please

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ok, did you tried running those speakers on other PC and check whether the speakers are working fine??

If not, please try that first. You can also plug them to VCD / DVD Player if you have them.

Look, the cause can be 3...

1. Speakers went kaput (Have a chance)

2. Motherboard Audio Jacks / Card went kaput (Have a chance)

3. OS / Driver problem (No chance according to your troubleshooting steps)

So at the first step check the speakers with some other PC. If it works fine go to 2nd step and check someone else's speaker with your PC to verify.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ do what others have suggested - check with a headphone.

Most probably the mobos sound chip has gone kaput - if it's still under warranty RMA it or buy a sound card Asus Xonar DG around ~1.5k or some cheap USB audio dongle around ~150 bucks.

OP
S

swapnaprasad

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Under the Control Panel - Sound devices the OS has not detected any audio devices. That is my main problem. And headphones too don't work. Probably the sound chip has blown. Will try with a new sound card.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, you are correct - get the Asus sound card I've mentioned but if you need anything much better let us know ;-)

prvprv

Journeyman
I would go for USB dongle of Rs. 150/- against ASUS card of 1.5K ;).
If you are planning to upgrading your system in recent future then go for the cheapest solution. Otherwise get the ASUS card as stated by topgear.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I've bought a cheap sound card back in 2008 at around ~400 bucks and it lasted only for 1 year - the sound was too low even after lots of software tweak - it had some old creative sound chip.

after that I've bought one USB Sound Dongle a year ago at 150 bucks - though you need to boost the audio a bit using your audio player / windows sound and audio devices properties - the sound quality is pretty good ;-)

So Op can either get a USB sound dongle ( just make sure it's has at-least 1 year warranty ) or he can buy a Asus sound card but never opt for some cheap sound card from less known brands - they just use some old unused chips for which there's no driver updates are even available anymore - only option is to use the CD that comes ith it. USB Audio dongle though is cheap but needs no driver installation - tested on Xp, Vista and Win 7 ;-)

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
^^ I've bought a cheap sound card back in 2008 at around ~400 bucks and it lasted only for 1 year - the sound was too low even after lots of software tweak - it had some old creative sound chip.

after that I've bought one USB Sound Dongle a year ago at 150 bucks - though you need to boost the audio a bit using your audio player / windows sound and audio devices properties - the sound quality is pretty good ;-)

So Op can either get a USB sound dongle ( just make sure it's has at-least 1 year warranty ) or he can buy a Asus sound card but never opt for some cheap sound card from less known brands - they just use some old unused chips for which there's no driver updates are even available anymore - only option is to use the CD that comes ith it. USB Audio dongle though is cheap but needs no driver installation - tested on Xp, Vista and Win 7 ;-)

^ could you please provide the product name & link . That would help a lot. thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Here you go ;-)

*www.entermultimedia.com/thumbs/small/usb_sound5port.jpg

Convertor

OP
S

swapnaprasad

Thanks topgear. But now the new problem is that as soon i start the system it tries to start but goes off. It does not restart. I am now checking the SMPS. Any other suggestion ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks topgear. But now the new problem is that as soon i start the system it tries to start but goes off. It does not restart. I am now checking the SMPS. Any other suggestion ?

There are several reasons which can cause this :

1. something may be shorting with the mobo inside of the cabby.
2 . check the power and reset button of the cabinet.
3. Check the ram modules.

OP
S

swapnaprasad

Thanks everybody. Tried everything but motherboard does not boot. Probably a recent thunder & lighting did the job :shock:. Have sent the board to ASUS.

Top Bottom