New year gift by Microsoft,ALL 1st Gen. Zune 30gb dead at exactly 12PM,pacific time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
me said:
OMFG,someone tell me I am not sleeping!

I had bought the 100$ brown zune(1st gen. 30gb one)

I was watching a family guy video on it at about 1.30pm and it just went off,and the reboot got stuck at the loading screen(the one which have the zune logo, and zune written with that while 'loading' line at the bottom,the white line was full),and it din't respond to any key combos whatsoever.

then I got mad and tried hard resetting it,had to let the battery dry off itself before it switched off,connect it to PC to charge it,it din't boot up yet again,battery run off again,tried hard reset(content+firmware),this time it got stuck at "clearing content.Please Wait.",again had to let the battery run dry,again it got stuck at booting(this time there aint no white loading line though).:|

and thats why I hate M$ so much,I had no problems with my Zune whatsoever till now, and now all of a sudden its dead!

BTW,I am pretty darn sure nothing could be done about our poor dead zunes cus
1.We are out of warranty.
2The Zunes aren't getting detected by the zune software on PC.

and then I got this magic link of a thread in the official zune forums:
*forums.zune.net/403986/ShowPost.aspx

apparently all Zune 30gb(and some the gen.2 4\8gb,unconfirmed) just rebotetd and hung up at the loading screen,not responding to any of the key combinations.No official word from M$ yet but as far as I know,the devices cannot be repaired without calling them in(mainly cus they aren't getting recognised by the zune software).

Thank you M$ and happy new year,touching new levels of lowness every year.I am anxiously waiting for the official word from M$.

blondie

Broken In
Re: New year gift by Microsoft,ALL 1st Gen. Zune 30gb dead at exactly 12PM,pacific ti

Yikes! This is strange and bad! Looks like Z2K.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Re: New year gift by Microsoft,ALL 1st Gen. Zune 30gb dead at exactly 12PM,pacific ti

Yes
And all they did to fix it is do a hard reset (go through the thread).
With Windows that's nothing new ;) I've had to hard reboot my HTC phone a few times.

adi007

Youngling

very very interesting...
I am sure it is a firmware problem .... :)

OP
The_Devil_Himself

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

Yes
And all they did to fix it is do a hard reset (go through the thread).
With Windows that's nothing new ;) I've had to hard reboot my HTC phone a few times.

and if you go deeper into the thread ,or read my post fully sir,you will realise that even a hard reset doesn't do anything at all,not even the kind when you pull out the battery and plug it in again.

and better still,its not getting recognized by PC so i dont think there is any way people can repair the zune themselves unless of course,they all start functioning again miraculously after a day(or maybe an year?)

amitava82

MMO Addict

and what did i tell you?
still want my zen?

Pat

Beyond Smart

****!! My zunes dead too! Damn you MS Mofos :mad::mad:

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

The clock screwed up :D

"Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. The issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you're a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device."

*www.zunethoughts.com/news/show/91962/zune-30s-will-de-brick-themselves-january-1st-2009.html

freshseasons

King of my own Castle

Its Jan 1st today.So is it working now....?

OP
The_Devil_Himself

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

^^pacific time,around 1:30pm here.I am waiting,lol.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

lol...I dont have zune :D

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

^^ me 2,no hassles

chandru.in

In the zone

a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year.
MS seems to have serious troubles with leap years always. Guess they'd pray for removing the whole idea of leap years.

First an excel bug which is being pushed even in a so called ISO standard format, OOXML. Now Zune hit by some other leap year bug. ROFLMAO. Now I understand why all comp. sci. courses have leap year calculation as a program in early stages. :D

Cool G5

Conversation Architect

WTF
This is ridiculous :mad:

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005

MS seems to have serious troubles with leap years always. Guess they'd pray for removing the whole idea of leap years.

First an excel bug which is being pushed even in a so called ISO standard format, OOXML. Now Zune hit by some other leap year bug. ROFLMAO. Now I understand why all comp. sci. courses have leap year calculation as a program in early stages. :D
lol

OP
The_Devil_Himself

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

its working again,finally!

no more MS hardware for me.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

^^devil in despair while i got damsel in distress...lol

Pat

Beyond Smart

Yup its working! Guess someone would have been in deep trouble had this problem not auto-resolved itself!

x3060

A LOTR fan

our good old MS, always eager to make you remember them .....(by any means whats so ever) :).....

freshseasons

King of my own Castle

So does it essentially means that every new year whenever it closes in we are going to be fanatically sitting on each and every Microsoft hardware we own, biting our nails off.
I bet there will be even gambling on what fails and what runs till another year.
Where's your bet pal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom