Need for Speed Most Wanted reboot

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No story there. You just have to drive and then drive some more. It seems like game is designed for MP solely and MW was just a monicker to attract people.

This. The worst racing game I have ever played, right up their with Flatout 3: Chaos & Destruction. Uninstalled, now back to Sherlock Holmes.

No story there. You just have to drive and then drive some more. It seems like game is designed for MP solely and MW was just a monicker to attract people.

This. The worst racing game I have ever played, right up their with Flatout 3: Chaos & Destruction. Uninstalled, now back to Sherlock Holmes.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
Unfortunately, the $$$$$ didn't work for Medal of Honor so well. So its not always the case.

As far as I know, Criterion's Most Wanted totally deserved the high scores it's been getting.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
May be on consoles, no idea, but no way on PC. Even if you don't spend a single penny for this game, it's still not worth it.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have played on PC, so can confirm you exactly about the problems which you can find lots of users complaining about (user reviews of metacritic is a good place to start with, but of course, its not the be all and end all). No idea about console version, so I'm just giving the benefit of doubt. Frankly, as someone who has started gaming after 2002, I'm yet to understand what the hype about NFS series is all about. HP2 was a good start, played Porsche Unlimited later which was good too but that's all about it. Anything after HP2 is mostly bad for one reason or other (barring MW & Carbon to some extent). And this is coming from one who prefers racing games over other genres.

It looks like EA is cashing on the older monikers (last year's HP, this year's MW) to actually hide the crap behind it.

PS: Talking strictly about the Single player experience.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
I have played on PC, so can confirm you exactly about the problems which you can find lots of users complaining about (user reviews of metacritic is a good place to start with, but of course, its not the be all and end all). No idea about console version, so I'm just giving the benefit of doubt. Frankly, as someone who has started gaming after 2002, I'm yet to understand what the hype about NFS series is all about. HP2 was a good start, played Porsche Unlimited later which was good too but that's all about it. Anything after HP2 is mostly bad for one reason or other (barring MW & Carbon to some extent). And this is coming from one who prefers racing games over other genres.

It looks like EA is cashing on the older monikers (last year's HP, this year's MW) to actually hide the crap behind it.

PS: Talking strictly about the Single player experience.

The optimization is a valid point, but its not a game breaker at all, lower the settings or play around with for a bit and the game works totally fine. The metacritic user reviews section is filled with whiners as usual. Other than that, I didn't find anything wrong or so bad with the game. I'm glad that at least some developer got the gameplay mechanics right, where as Hot Pursuit and Run were too dull.
btw, have you completed the game?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The optimization is a valid point, but its not a game breaker at all, lower the settings or play around with for a bit and the game works totally fine. The metacritic user reviews section is filled with whiners as usual. Other than that, I didn't find anything wrong or so bad with the game. I'm glad that at least some developer got the gameplay mechanics right, where as Hot Pursuit and Run were too dull.
btw, have you completed the game?

Did through more than 60-70% I guess, before throwing it out. My biggest complaint is about forcing checkpoints and taking away the choice of route from me. Miss a checkpoint, and the f***ing game keeps on complaining until I get back to the checkpoint. WTH!!! It's an open world, why can't I take an alternative route. And if you are trying to force me on a particular route, why are not you closing the others like they used to do in UG etc. I am not in a habit to check the left corner of the screen, there's no arrow above to show me where to go and every time seeing that red flashing warning is too much for me. Shortcuts, which were always the hallmark of NFS games are of no use. Why? Because some b****** devs want me to follow their own shitty path. And controlling a car is a hit or miss affair, pressing the left key, car's going straight, then suddenly a 360 degree turn. Wah!!! :lol:

Other common/general complaints from my side (the list is indicative & not exhaustive ;)):-
1) no starting line, why the game starts the car for me is beyond my wisdom.
2) Cop chases go on for half an hour and show no sign of cooling down until I just press Alt+F4.
3) Continuing the chases after the race has been completed is hilarious. So I race for say 5 minutes, then keep on wasting my time seeing these cops through.
4) Can't straightaway jump to the choice of race always. You have to drive 10km or more to join a race. :mad:
5) Lots of aliased pixels, despite the game apparently having forced post processing AA.
6) Where's the map?
7) Destroying objects doesn't fill up nitrous.
8) What's new?
9) Finally, this might be subjective, where's the life in the game and where's the fun?

Also add first 4 points of what tkin has posted earlier (post No. 388), so not repeating again.

And just as Metacritic is filled up with whiners, review sites are filled up with people who doesn't need to pay for a game (arguably, might actually be getting paid for the scores). But as I told earlier, even if it was free, its not worth it.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
No offence, but your and Tkin's complaints are more of a result of impatience rather than the game's fault :|

The original Most Wanted was way more difficult than the new one, so its fair to say most of the compaints about the difficulty don't carry any weight.

Also add first 4 points of what tkin has posted earlier (post No. 388), so not repeating again.
1: When in cooldown you have to wait to empty all 6 bars, which is impossible at a stretch, this is unfair, as when police are busting you they take the same time at any level.
2: How the hell does a swat car move that fast, suvs that chased and caught my upgraded Alpha Romeo in seconds? And at one time two swat barricades blocked two sides of same road, no way to escape, I had to trash my car against a barricade to go through.
3: No speedbrakers, cop chase is just a chase, boring as hell.
4: F'n large text in middle of screen, I was evading cops, big @$$ floating text on screen(heat level increased) and bam, I ended up ramming a divider, who is dumb enough not to notice heat level increasing????
5: Races are way too easy, I did some races today, hard, easy enough, beat 3 mw cars, again easy.

1. I hadn't had any kind of problem getting the heat bar down from level 6, there are ways to do it. While on cool down mode, you can enter the garages for a quick color change which will instantly get a bar down, or if you jumping into another car will completely evade you from the cops which is by far the most easiest way. You can also tap the trigger buttons on the x360 controller to lower the heat faster ;) Like I said, spend some time figuring things out.
2. Keeps the chase going, take that off from the game, I'd bet that it would make the chases even more boring.
3. Kind of agreed, but cop chases isn't all about the racers and the cops. The environment are varied, in fact the best open world in an arcade racers I've seen, which make the chases challenging and fun.
4. LOL, agreed, even I crashed into the traffic because of that. Criterion honestly sucks at designing UI/HUD elements. This game is a slight improvement though.
5. Good thing is, you can remove the mods and race them, you have the choice so use it ;)

My biggest complaint is about forcing checkpoints and taking away the choice of route from me. Miss a checkpoint, and the f***ing game keeps on complaining until I get back to the checkpoint. WTH!!! It's an open world, why can't I take an alternative route. And if you are trying to force me on a particular route, why are not you closing the others like they used to do in UG etc.

The game does allow you to choose your own path, unless it completely takes you off the racing path and making it impossible to catch up with the other racers, tell me whats the point of racing if you are completely out of reach of the other racers, makes the racing even more boring. Comparing the design choices of one game to another isn't fair, Underground or Most Wanted did have those barriers, smart choice for those games, but wasn't that linear too? like racing only on the path decided by the developer? The arrow, well, the game is just telling you that its a waste of time or pointless to go in that direction, if you are annoyed about the arrow and don't want to race, pause and quit the race..open world is all yours :)

I am not in a habit to check the left corner of the screen, there's no arrow above to show me where to go and every time seeing that red flashing warning is too much for me.

Me too, I'd been plaing dirt 3 which has the map placed on the right, so Most Wanted did make things difficult in the beginning, but got used to it after a while. Not much of a game complaint, its just about getting used to something ;)

Shortcuts, which were always the hallmark of NFS games are of no use. Why? Because some b****** devs want me to follow their own shitty path.

eih?! I thought there were plenty of shortcuts throughout the races :|

And controlling a car is a hit or miss affair, pressing the left key, car's going straight, then suddenly a 360 degree turn. Wah!!!

I'm on the x360 controller, haven't tried the keyboard controls yet. Finished the game yesterday, and let me tell you, I accidentally got into just one single 360 turn, one single turn in the entire single player play through :) You say you're into racing games, why not get an x360 controller, the game feels awesome with that.

Other common/general complaints from my side (the list is indicative & not exhaustive ):-
1) no starting line, why the game starts the car for me is beyond my wisdom.
2) Cop chases go on for half an hour and show no sign of cooling down until I just press Alt+F4.
3) Continuing the chases after the race has been completed is hilarious. So I race for say 5 minutes, then keep on wasting my time seeing these cops through.
4) Can't straightaway jump to the choice of race always. You have to drive 10km or more to join a race.
5) Lots of aliased pixels, despite the game apparently having forced post processing AA.
6) Where's the map?
7) Destroying objects doesn't fill up nitrous.
8) What's new?
9) Finally, this might be subjective, where's the life in the game and where's the fun?

1. Whats wrong with the lack of a starting line? Just another design choice, nothing game breaking :|
2. To be honest, the cop chase difficulty has been dumbed down a lot from the original Most Wanted. Try the original with higher heat, it will be unbelievably difficult to evade them.
3. Don't see anyting wrong with that too, cop chases are pre determined to certain races, its not like you coincidentally run into the cops while racing and they're on your back. Not a complain at all.
4. You can, if you have that explored the location of the race. Just like finding a car, if you have explored it, you can jump into it right away..patience brother, spend some time figuring things out :)
5. Didn't notice anything like that, at least not as much as the 2010 Hot pursuit had, that game had some terrible AA issues.
6. Mini map is on the lower right, and the full map can be accessed by pressing the 'back' on the x360 controller, search for the key on the keyboard.
7. Not sure if the original Most Wanted allowed that, though it did fill the bounty. There were certain features that didn't return in the MW2005 from UG2, filling up nitrous by doing certain things like, drifting, near misses, following an AI racer on its tail, etc. Those features returned to the new Most Wanted. Again, design choice :)
8. like?
9. Well, both of us have only played the single player, and obviously know that the game's focus is on multiplayer, so cant talk about it unless we had access to the MP :)

And just as Metacritic is filled up with whiners, review sites are filled up with people who doesn't need to pay for a game (arguably,
might actually be getting paid for the scores). But as I told earlier, even if it was free, its not worth it.

But there is a lot of difference between a long eurogamer review and a random 4 liner filled with complaints ;) As far as I ve seem, metacritic users never judge the game properly, and look at the flaws under magnifying glass. Sure, there will be bad things in every game and fan disappointment, but judging the entire game basing on a few flaws isn't fair.

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
I had more issues with hard races than MW races, beat no 6 today, had to try twice, it wasn't difficult, beat him with an aston martin db 9, max upgraded, key is to use the right upgrades, if you have an already fast car, try short gears, if you have a slow car use long gears, impact protection is a must and reinflatable tires, I never used mercedes, used alpha romeo for the first 2 races, aston martin db9 from then on, right now using the mc laren car you get by beating mw racer no 6(or 7?).

One key is to race once, if you lose then switch to proper upgrades, for eg: if race takes place in offroad, use off road tires, if race takes place on long highway with minimum bends, switch to long gears, aero body and powershot nitro, for cop chases use re inflatable tires and impact proof body, try to use upgrades as necessary, for more bends you need more acceleration, switch to short gear and burst nitro.

Not yet, will be done by this week.

ll consider ur advice, currently driving gallardo have to upgrade more :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No offence, but your and Tkin's complaints are more of a result of impatience rather than the game's fault :|

The original Most Wanted was way more difficult than the new one, so its fair to say most of the compaints about the difficulty don't carry any weight.

1. I hadn't had any kind of problem getting the heat bar down from level 6, there are ways to do it. While on cool down mode, you can enter the garages for a quick color change which will instantly get a bar down, or if you jumping into another car will completely evade you from the cops which is by far the most easiest way. You can also tap the trigger buttons on the x360 controller to lower the heat faster ;) Like I said, spend some time figuring things out.

No one has complained about difficulty, the game is not difficult at all. And where from Xbox 360 controller come? Is it bundled free with the game? I'm talking about keyboard only. Entering garages doesn't work if cops are behind or in front of you. They just update my status with a new color. Also at least on one occasion even if I was well ahead of the cops (outside the heat circle), the cops easily update my change of color. Bewildering at its best.

2. Keeps the chase going, take that off from the game, I'd bet that it would make the chases even more boring.

Keep the chase on half an hour? That's the main theme of the game, I guess, rather than races. I am not talking about the chases within the race, but the ones after completion of the race. Why they can't end the race and let me choose the next race instead of mindlessly running away from cops. Oh wait, this is a story-based racing game. I forgot. I just can't quit it, I have to go with the story.

3. Kind of agreed, but cop chases isn't all about the racers and the cops. The environment are varied, in fact the best open world in an arcade racers I've seen, which make the chases challenging and fun.
4. LOL, agreed, even I crashed into the traffic because of that. Criterion honestly sucks at designing UI/HUD elements. This game is a slight improvement though.

Another horrible UI decision is to press up & down arrow to enter a race, just entering the zone or stopping won't cut. Guess even this was also designed keeping a controller in mind. Also if you are not in a race, crashes won't reset your car unless you are in a race or turn turtle. And there's some problem with alt-tab support too, games just start on their own, even though I have paused the game and working on desktop.

The game does allow you to choose your own path, unless it completely takes you off the racing path and making it impossible to catch up with the other racers, tell me whats the point of racing if you are completely out of reach of the other racers, makes the racing even more boring. Comparing the design choices of one game to another isn't fair, Underground or Most Wanted did have those barriers, smart choice for those games, but wasn't that linear too? like racing only on the path decided by the developer? The arrow, well, the game is just telling you that its a waste of time or pointless to go in that direction, if you are annoyed about the arrow and don't want to race, pause and quit the race..open world is all yours :)

I generally race Dirt or WRC with just the arrow on, no other UI needed, not even the map. I admit some adjustment problems are there, as I have to look at too many things at a single time. Still, I think the checkpoints themselves are acting as barriers, a simple arrow above showing the direction would have been much better.

eih?! I thought there were plenty of shortcuts throughout the races :|

Only if they will allow you to use it. ;)

I'm on the x360 controller, haven't tried the keyboard controls yet. Finished the game yesterday, and let me tell you, I accidentally got into just one single 360 turn, one single turn in the entire single player play through :) You say you're into racing games, why not get an x360 controller, the game feels awesome with that.

Try playing with a keyboard. Regarding the controller, I would rather buy a wheel for racing. And you simply can't make a PC game focusing around controller or wheels. Keyboard/mouse support should be flawless at the first, controllers can be taken care of even with patches.

1. Whats wrong with the lack of a starting line? Just another design choice, nothing game breaking :|
2. To be honest, the cop chase difficulty has been dumbed down a lot from the original Most Wanted. Try the original with higher heat, it will be unbelievably difficult to evade them.
3. Don't see anyting wrong with that too, cop chases are pre determined to certain races, its not like you coincidentally run into the cops while racing and they're on your back. Not a complain at all.
4. You can, if you have that explored the location of the race. Just like finding a car, if you have explored it, you can jump into it right away..patience brother, spend some time figuring things out :)
5. Didn't notice anything like that, at least not as much as the 2010 Hot pursuit had, that game had some terrible AA issues.
6. Mini map is on the lower right, and the full map can be accessed by pressing the 'back' on the x360 controller, search for the key on the keyboard.
7. Not sure if the original Most Wanted allowed that, though it did fill the bounty. There were certain features that didn't return in the MW2005 from UG2, filling up nitrous by doing certain things like, drifting, near misses, following an AI racer on its tail, etc. Those features returned to the new Most Wanted. Again, design choice :)
8. like?
9. Well, both of us have only played the single player, and obviously know that the game's focus is on multiplayer, so cant talk about it unless we had access to the MP :)

1. Nothing wrong, as long as your controls work properly. :(
2. The HP2 with its tree system was better IMO, you can skip some races and still can complete the career mode and unlock the tracks. The same goes with gymkhana mode (or type) in Dirt/Grid/Toca Race Driver, as long as it was optional it was OK, but in Showdown (even in Dirt 3) you have to complete those mindless drills to progress.
3. Already answered. That pre-detemined chase can went for hours, no way to leave it like in races. I'm not playing GTA or Mafia. Why should I need to do this? The quickest way to get rid is to get busted, which actually adds to more negative feeling about the game. Who wants to play a game to get busted?
4. Story-based racing game, eh? Again, if you are in middle of the end game cop chase, the map doesn't give you the option to select races, you can select your jackpots and speedwall, but only set destination option is available, you can't jump to the car or the speedwall, forget about races. And this happened with unlocked parts too.
5. Look for shadows on the car in particular.
6. OK, overlooked, map can be accessed by pressing esc.

But there is a lot of difference between a long eurogamer review and a random 4 liner filled with complaints ;) As far as I ve seem, metacritic users never judge the game properly, and look at the flaws under magnifying glass. Sure, there will be bad things in every game and fan disappointment, but judging the entire game basing on a few flaws isn't fair.

There's a difference between actually running a Government and mindlessly blaming the system grabbing a microphone. That doesn't necessarily mean those who are blaming are not always right. Try looking beyond the 4 liners (positive or negative), you will see some valid points. I am not saying they are always correct, but neither are reviewers (Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition is another case in point). And ultimately games are meant for fun only; if some user, for some reason, is missing that, there must be some problem.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
And where from Xbox 360 controller come

Recommended to have one. I was a keyboard-only guy too, heck I still prefer keyboard while playing grid, got way to used to it. But for arcade racers like need for speed, x360 controller makes it a lot better, you would know if you tried it., or may be that is how the game is supposed to be played, with the controller, give it a try man.

Entering garages doesn't work if cops are behind or in front of you. They just update my status with a new color. Also at least on one occasion even if I was well ahead of the cops (outside the heat circle), the cops easily update my change of color. Bewildering at its best.
While on cool down mode, you can enter the garages for a quick color change which will instantly get a bar down

;)

Keep the chase on half an hour? That's the main theme of the game, I guess, rather than races. I am not talking about the chases within the race, but the ones after completion of the race. Why they can't end the race and let me choose the next race instead of mindlessly running away from cops. Oh wait, this is a story-based racing game. I forgot. I just can't quit it, I have to go with the story.

Well that's how the game is mate, even the original Most Wanted didn't stop the cops after the race finished. This isn't Hot Pursuit :|

Another horrible UI decision isto press up & down arrow to enter a race

I loved it, hold the two triggers(sad the keyboard don't have those :p ) to initiate the race, BURNOUT! :D

just entering the zone or stopping won't cut

That would be a horrible thing to do, what if you accidentally go through the zone? lol.

And there's some problem with alt-tab support too, games just start on their own, even though I have paused the game and working on desktop.

Works perfect for me.

I generally race Dirt or WRC with just the arrow on, no other UI needed, not even the map. I admit some adjustment problems are there, as I have to look at too many things at a single time. Still, I think the checkpoints themselves are acting as barriers, a simple arrow above showing the direction would have been much better.

Well, I do agree, there are a lot of limitations in the game, built with the consolein mind like you said. The arrow could be useless with the kind of speed the game offers, don't you think? For me, the UI adds another extra layer of challenge, keeping track of the map all the time ;)

Only if they will allow you to use it.

That's what I meant, there are good number of drivable shortcuts in the races.

3. Already answered. That pre-detemined chase can went for hours, no way to leave it like in races. I'm not playing GTA or Mafia.

Well you're not playing Hot Pursuit to have the cops stop after the races. Lets just say, if the game was made the way you intended it to be, no cop chases after the race, imagine it would be the most boring racing game ever, meh, another hot pursuit with open world, whats the point, that's what people would say, lol.

Why should I need to do this? The quickest way to get rid is to get busted, which actually adds to more negative feeling about the game. Who wants to play a game to get busted?

That's what the game is about, no point in asking why do you need to do that. If they do it in the Hot Pursuit's way, MW fans will be pissed and no point having Most Wanted title to the game. As for how to evade the cops, well, deal with it or get busted :p

4. Story-based racing game, eh? Again, if you are in middle of the end game cop chase, the map doesn't give you the option to select races, you can select your jackpots and speedwall, but only set destination option is available, you can't jump to the car or the speedwall, forget about races. And this happened with unlocked parts too.

Why would you want to do that? Just enter the cool down mode and wait(just like Most Wanted) or shift to another car (not through the speed wall), and the cops are out, and then go ahead with your race.

5. Look for shadows on the car in
particular.

Not sure about that, can you post some screenshot?

you will see some valid points

Of course there will be valid points, but I meant to say that one cannot judge the entire game basing on few negative things. As a whole, Most Wanted did deliver what it set out to do, a fun, polished game. Paid or not, the reviewers at least consider the entire game and mention both positive and negative points of the game.

games are meant for fun only; if some user, for some reason, is missing that, there must be some problem.

Agreed. But at the same time, nobody can decide that fun is a set of rules that the developers need to make sure their game meets. Getting chased by cops after finishing the race might not be fun to you, but it could be to a lot of other people, and it would be a blast in the multiplayer :D

In the end, I think the game is clearly not for you, just the way how I believe games like Hot Pursuit or track based arcade racers aren't for me :)

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stopping the discussions here, or the arguments will go on. :p Both sides have their points, I generally don't post so much against games, but Sleeping Dogs and this one have made me mad, sort of.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
I found one thing , when a cops are chasing you , you can still start a race , just go to the easy drive menu and select race , Now if that race has been completed with another car there is a option start race below set destination . Just go on start race and the race will begin. :p

gameranand

Living to Play
This is what I call a healthy debate. :p

As for controlling I would suggest any racing fan to go controller way, or racing wheel if you prefer it for that matter. I suggest controller because it can be used in various other game also like Action & Adventure and others.

Top Bottom