N81, the Truth...(the Nokia VS SE battle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Ahh well.. but as usual SE still holds the best sounding phone on the planet. The W995. And surprise surprise, it has a 3.5 mm jack.:D

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
And surprise surprise, it has a 3.5 mm jack.:D

Finally !!!!! A year ago my cousin got w960 which was SE top walkman model and yet it did not have any 3.5mm jack . Not to forget my w810 which i had purchased for music for Rs 15500 back then .
Offtopic BTW i purchased my new ipod touch 8gb today and the truth is no mobile can even come close to it in multimedia department . I will post some pics soon .

Tamoghno

Padawan
Offtopic BTW i purchased my new ipod touch 8gb today and the truth is no mobile can even come close to it in multimedia department . I will post some pics soon .

First congrats on your new device ! Hope it your satisfies quest for ultimate sound quality. And be sure to give a comparative review.

Btw , i dont think ipod touch is something worth buying. It may offer incredible sexyness and a great ui , but carrying another device all the time seems a real burden. For example , i always carry my phone in left jeans pocket and usb drive + earphone + keys + hanky in right pocket. These are things i ALWAYS NEED with me. So its nearly impossible to carry another device with me that i'd like to use all the time . Its ok to carry separate bag for may be a digicam or something once a week , but for something like a music player which i'm gonna use everyday is very inconvenient. Moreover a ipod touch really doesn't do much better than 5800 which i can always carry .Sound quality is arguebly almost same . Video is better than ipod , (will get better once divx player starts supporting s60v5 fully). Browsing is much better in ipod but honestly , lack of wifi hotspot in india kills this possibility while i'm always able to keep connected through cellphone data data plan.
Moreover with new gen phones like omnia hd coming with great sound quality and super incredible amoled screen and native hd and native divx support , i doubt ipods viability in two three years.

Ps:The views are entirely mine and may not be true for everyone , but i am open to debate.

PPs: i dont have first hand experience with ipod touch , the points are based on using iphone 2g , so correct me if i'm wrong.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
First congrats on your new device ! Hope it your satisfies quest for ultimate sound quality. And be sure to give a comparative review.

Btw , i dont think ipod touch is something worth buying. It may offer incredible sexyness and a great ui , but carrying another device all the time seems a real burden. For example , i always carry my phone in left jeans pocket and usb drive + earphone + keys + hanky in right pocket. These are things i ALWAYS NEED with me. So its nearly impossible to carry another device with me that i'd like to use all the time . Its ok to carry separate bag for may be a digicam or something once a week , but for something like a music player which i'm gonna use everyday is very inconvenient. Moreover a ipod touch really doesn't do much better than 5800 which i can always carry .Sound quality is arguebly almost same . Video is better than ipod , (will get better once divx player starts supporting s60v5 fully). Browsing is much better in ipod but honestly , lack of wifi hotspot in india kills this possibility while i'm always able to keep connected through cellphone data data plan.
Moreover with new gen phones like omnia hd coming with great sound quality and super incredible amoled screen and native hd and native divx support , i doubt ipods viability in two three years.

Ps:The views are entirely mine and may not be true for everyone , but i am open to debate.

PPs: i dont have first hand experience with ipod touch , the points are based on using iphone 2g , so correct me if i'm wrong.

Dude as i said earlier you are getting it completely wrong . Sound quality , wait a minute .... after using so many phones k750 . w810 , n91 , w960 , w890 , i450 , e8 ,5800 , w950 etc etc some mine , sum of my friends , it is completely baseless to compare a dedicated music players sound to that of a phone no matter how good it is . I dont give a damn for all various ratings like rma , thd etc , the thing that i look and so do most people are
1 : Volume should be loud enough
2: Audio clearity
3: Able to differentiate between diff musical instruments
4:UI
5: Bass , trebble etc .
6: Unmatched sonic experience
Why are all these SE fans are fighting with u ? because you are going on saying that audio quality of n81 is like ipod . Dude i have already compared it with my n81 and also my n91 but it is not close enough . N81 sounds superb , better then my previous i450 but no where near to ipod touch . Reading diff forums makes people believe something which is not correct . We must have first hand experience .
Regarding videos in 5800 . Screen size does really matter , and not mush diff in quality povided u use the right converter for touch .I am telling u this after having morethen 6 years of experience using diff phones and their OS. I have dowloaded sum games for touch and they are as good as psp games !!!!
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxoS5WwYG8
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCA5shGJ9Y
Regarding portability , it is just less then half a cm . I had carried n91 earlier and it is equal to 3 times ipod touch to me . Do all the people in the world who have ipods do not carry a phone ? Ask yourself why would they buy it if u can get a good phone phone for the same price .
Regarding browsing , I have a wifi router in my house . My college is fully wif i ( free downloads :-D ) . Where I live in Navi mumbai there are 5 malls within 5km range and all are wifi enebled . Almost all railway stations in my town are fully wifi capable . India is growing we should grow with it . You have mentioned so many upcoming phones , again first hand experience is required and not just reading information from net does any good .
Now why have I written such a big post . Just to tell that there are many others reading these threads and they are greatly influenced by it . So we must post carefully . Anyway i would post sum pics , this may change your mind towards a broader aspect .

sujoyp

Grand Master
+1 dedicated music player or dedicated camera are always better in every sense

but it would be good if my phone can do a bit more then calling:smile:

Tamoghno

Padawan
Dude as i said earlier you are getting it completely wrong . Sound quality , wait a minute .... after using so many phones k750 . w810 , n91 , w960 , w890 , i450 , e8 ,5800 , w950 etc etc some mine , sum of my friends , it is completely baseless to compare a dedicated music players sound to that of a phone no matter how good it is . I dont give a damn for all various ratings like rma , thd etc , the thing that i look and so do most people are
1 : Volume should be loud enough
2: Audio clearity
3: Able to differentiate between diff musical instruments
4:UI
5: Bass , trebble etc .
6: Unmatched sonic experience

i dont know what ingrediants god used while making your ear , but HONESTLY , i dont find ipods to be much different than n81, n85 or 5800. I never said n81 is much better , i told that apart from loudness , there is not much noticeable difference and n81's player is more capable(in terms of feature) . Wait , i think i'm not the only one read these reviews-

*www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_xpressmusic-review-308p6.php

they even did a comparative study between all phones including iphone , and found 5800 to be superior.

*www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/nokia-5800-xpressmusic-sound-quality-410066/index3.html

now this is not just another forum , this is head-fi , most knowledgable forum about sound quality in internet.

Virtually every comparative review by any respectable reviewer including gsmarena , mobile-review etc said that 5800 is better than iphone(ipod touch is identical to iphone)

But that aside , do you honestly think that sound quality is the reason people prefer ipod ? I dont think so , why ? Most people who buy ipod use that crappy white earbuds that comes with it and never bothers to change it , do you really believe that all the people who use that crappy earphone give a damn about sound quality ? No way. Its not sound quality , its the cool factor that sells ipod . Besides if sound quality was important cowon would have been number one player , not apple.

Why are all these SE fans are fighting with u ?

dont give a damn to those fanboys. its impossible to atgue with people with no logic whatsover. sony fanboys are worse than apple fanboy.

because you are going on saying that audio quality of n81 is like ipod . Dude i have already compared it with my n81 and also my n91 but it is not close enough . N81 sounds superb , better then my previous i450 but no where near to ipod touch . Reading diff forums makes people believe something which is not correct . We must have first hand experience .

i have first hand experience .i used to use ipod 5th gen. it was relevant because sound quality of 6630 sucked , after that thing died , i upgraded to 5700 , which was worse than ipod , but was good enough for me that i never bothered buying another ipod. .but 5800 is so close to ipod in sound quality that i dont even consider ipods anymore.

Regarding videos in 5800 . Screen size does really matter , and not mush diff in quality povided u use the right converter for touch .I am telling u this after having morethen 6 years of experience using diff phones and their OS.

again its not about quality , its about convenience . in ipod i must convert it (tedious process) to be able to see it. Most of the time i watch movies only once . Isn't it tiresome to convert a whole movie to see it only once ?
In a phone , i just copy the divx avi files in mem card and when i'm done watching it , just delete and copy another movie. 5800's divx support is not great right now though it will hopefully change soon.

I have dowloaded sum games for touch and they are as good as psp games !!!!
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxoS5WwYG8
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XCA5shGJ9Y

valid point . agree . but saying its par with psp is a bit too much . anyway , its plenty good.
if 5800 truely sucks at anything then its gaming. i am yet to find a game that runs smoothly.
btw, n85 with ngage is also nice , looks beautiful in that amoled screen.

Regarding portability , it is just less then half a cm . I had carried n91 earlier and it is equal to 3 times ipod touch to me . Do all the people in the world who have ipods do not carry a phone ? Ask yourself why would they buy it if u can get a good phone phone for the same price .
different people , different tastes. i actually couldn't use my ipod as much as my phones. i have ONLY TWO POCKETS IN MY JEANS AND AMONG THAT ONE IS EXCLUSIVELY RESERVED FOR MY CELLPHONE. So i am left with a single pocket to carry earphone , keys , hanky etc. Ipod and keys in one pocket ? No way! It may be nice to carry ipod in pouch once or twice a week , but not everyday , at least for me.

Tamoghno

Padawan
Regarding browsing , I have a wifi router in my house . My college is fully wif i ( free downloads :-D ) . Where I live in Navi mumbai there are 5 malls within 5km range and all are wifi enebled . Almost all railway stations in my town are fully wifi capable . India is growing we should grow with it . You have mentioned so many upcoming phones , again first hand experience is required and not just reading information from net does any good .
you are blessed . in my small city , the ONLY place wity wifi known to me the engineering college(not my college ). I thought all coffee day had wifi , but when i went to local coffee day and after ordering coffee i asked for wifi, they were like ''what kind of coffee is that''.
Btw , almosr Every smartphone since n80 have wifi.

Now why have I written such a big post . Just to tell that there are many others reading these threads and they are greatly influenced by it . So we must post carefully . Anyway i would post sum pics , this may change your mind towards a broader aspect .

i actually liked your post , most fanboy here are like xxx is best because it have xyz , its nice to see someone actualli putting valid point.

BTW , WHEN i was searching for 5800 vs ipod sound quality in google , this thread came in top 10 results !

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
*www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w995-review-329p5.php

Well, dunno if i see right, but this phone is probably the best sounding phone in the market right now if I am not wrong and the stats dont lie. Even the K850 beat the N81 in the gsmarena tests, so i prefer saying that the K850 sounds better. You have no idea about facts and keep saying that SE fanboys blah blah.. fact is, you dont have facts. Period.

Tamoghno

Padawan
*www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w995-review-329p5.php

Well, dunno if i see right, but this phone is probably the best sounding phone in the market right now if I am not wrong and the stats dont lie. Even the K850 beat the N81 in the gsmarena tests, so i prefer saying that the K850 sounds better. You have no idea about facts and keep saying that SE fanboys blah blah.. fact is, you dont have facts. Period.

I never said 5800 IS THE BEST . i said it is AMONG THE BESTS , and possibly BETTER THAN IPHONE , Also i am not only stating about gsmarena only , ALL WEBSITES i have seen have said 5800 is better than iphone. In case of k850i ,not everybody said the same.

Now please STFU and enjoy your c905's photos on its awesome screen.

Last edited:

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
i dont know what ingrediants god used while making your ear , but HONESTLY , i dont find ipods to be much different than n81, n85 or 5800. I never said n81 is much better , i told that apart from loudness , there is not much noticeable difference and n81's player is more capable(in terms of feature) . Wait , i think i'm not the only one read these reviews-

*www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5800_xpressmusic-review-308p6.php

*www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/nokia-5800-xpressmusic-sound-quality-410066/index3.html

now this is not just another forum , this is head-fi , most knowledgable forum about sound quality in internet.

But that aside , do you honestly think that sound quality is the reason people prefer ipod ? I dont think so , why ? Most people who buy ipod use that crappy white earbuds that comes with it and never bothers to change it , do you really believe that all the people who use that crappy earphone give a damn about sound quality ? No way. Its not sound quality , its the cool factor that sells ipod . Besides if sound quality was important cowon would have been number one player , not apple.

dont give a damn to those fanboys. its impossible to atgue with people with no logic whatsover. sony fanboys are worse than apple fanboy.

again its not about quality , its about convenience . in ipod i must convert it (tedious process) to be able to see it. Most of the time i watch movies only once . Isn't it tiresome to convert a whole movie to see it only once ?
In a phone , i just copy the divx avi files in mem card and when i'm done watching it , just delete and copy another movie. 5800's divx support is not great right now though it will hopefully change soon.

valid point . agree . but saying its par with psp is a bit too much . anyway , its plenty good.
if 5800 truely sucks at anything then its gaming. i am yet to find a game that runs smoothly.
btw, n85 with ngage is also nice , looks beautiful in that amoled screen.

different people , different tastes. i actually couldn't use my ipod as much as my phones. i have ONLY TWO POCKETS IN MY JEANS AND AMONG THAT ONE IS EXCLUSIVELY RESERVED FOR MY CELLPHONE. So i am left with a single pocket to carry earphone , keys , hanky etc. Ipod and keys in one pocket ? No way! It may be nice to carry ipod in pouch once or twice a week , but not everyday , at least for me.

Dude you are looking like a fanboy to me , i dont know if i should laugh or worry. This thread was all about nokia vs SE now you are making it nokia vs ipod . I have told you once and again i am telling you , dont just gather imformation through web by reading diff forums and sites , you should have first hand experience . By the way i am concluding that you dont. 5800 is definately better then iphone but not better then ipod in terms of sound quality no matter what u read . Its like few days ago i posted to ask sound quality of i450 and u know what happened , exactly there isnt one web site on net which has mentioned the problems of i450 in sound quality but head over to user opinion section in gsmarena section and u will find out .
Dude u think people buy ipod for being cool and not for sound qualiyty , then u havent used one . I have used cowan d2 for 3 months and it is better then ipod 1g and not 2g if you use high end headphones . Anyway ipod is a better advrtised product then d2 and hence many prefer ipod over it .
If you were somewhere near Mumbai i could have showed you all ipod touch , 5800 and n81 and you could compare them all . Videos dont take much time and you can convert them just while copying to ipod though itunes . I am trying to convince you the facts but instead you are arguing on the same topic again and again , then whats the difference between you and the other SE fans who have argued in this thread .
By the way whats your age cause i think i am fighting with a kid here !!! Anyway post some pics of your 5800 so i am sure that your fighting is genuine .

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
ya guys, I love neither nokia nor SE, if they there isn't Symbian OS. :D
Symbian OS no less 9.1 rocks for me. You may say I am S60 addict ;)

k4ce

Youngling
@ rohan_mhtr & Tamoghno, bout the ipod vs the rest thingy , i do agree that cowon and iriver can really upstage an ipod , but why do ipods still sell ?....cool factor , maybe ... for me its the Interface ... i'm so somfortable wid my ipod click wheel that i still use my 2gb nano to listen to music rather than my 5320 wid 8gb memory ( and thrice as many songs) ... there is nothing cool bout a second gen ipod nano but i don care .... so i think u ppl shudnt be generalising

Tamoghno

Padawan
Dude you are looking like a fanboy to me , i dont know if i should laugh or worry. This thread was all about nokia vs SE now you are making it nokia vs ipod . I have told you once and again i am telling you , dont just gather imformation through web by reading diff forums and sites , you should have first hand experience . By the way i am concluding that you dont. 5800 is definately better then iphone but not better then ipod in terms of sound quality no matter what u read . Its like few days ago i posted to ask sound quality of i450 and u know what happened , exactly there isnt one web site on net which has mentioned the problems of i450 in sound quality but head over to user opinion section in gsmarena section and u will find out .
Dude u think people buy ipod for being cool and not for sound qualiyty , then u havent used one . I have used cowan d2 for 3 months and it is better then ipod 1g and not 2g if you use high end headphones . Anyway ipod is a better advrtised product then d2 and hence many prefer ipod over it .
If you were somewhere near Mumbai i could have showed you all ipod touch , 5800 and n81 and you could compare them all . Videos dont take much time and you can convert them just while copying to ipod though itunes . I am trying to convince you the facts but instead you are arguing on the same topic again and again , then whats the difference between you and the other SE fans who have argued in this thread .
By the way whats your age cause i think i am fighting with a kid here !!! Anyway post some pics of your 5800 so i am sure that your fighting is genuine .

Wow , this is getting too hot !

You got it wrong dude, i never meant it to be ipod vs nokia , i just cited an example with ipod touch vs 5800. What i wanted to talk about is convergence device vs dedicated device. Dedicated device always should have upper hand in one way or another , nokia n810 will blow away ipod touch in browsing just like any digicam will make n86's camera bite dust or psp will kill anything at gaming.what i wanted to talk about is viability of carrying a separate device , like a digicam , or a internet tablet (or an ipod ) just for the sake of small quality improvement at most cases. Remember , not everybody have senses like you . i am saying again , i dont believe people who use stock earphone with iPod have any sense of quality but unfortunately most people fall into that catagory. Anything like convenience , simplicity, itunes, cool factor , ui but quality is reason behind ipods success.

I thought you understood by now that i usually dont bluff about things i dont know. I told that i already used to ipod 5th gen along with nokia 6630 because 6630 had poor sound quality and listening few albums means i'd be left with low battery warning for the rest of the day. So saying i dont know how ipod sound is not right. I currently dont own ipod but my friend use a ipod classic 80gb 5.5th gen, icompared n81 and 5800 with his ipod , my judgment is based on that. I also compared n81 with older iphone 2g.

About gathering info from forum , yes i do it. And i am still not convinced that it is wrong. Just that you need to find the right forum.i dont remember anyone except you in digit forum owned i450 , so how can you expect correct judgment ? But had you asked in a forum where people actually owned i450 , you probably got correct answer.
And dont underestimate head-fi forum . That is not casual forum like digit. People there are hardcore music lover and i'm pretty sure many people there are more knowledgable that you and me.

About the picture , i will upload it soon . Actually i need to upload my whole collection for a thread in another forum . I'll post the link here after i upload.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
one idea struck my mind.....y not have a good touch screen phone with good cam capability (something like samsung models have or Idou will give) and that small ipod shuffle 3th gen of 4 gb *compareindia.in.com/media/product/2009/mar/apple_ipod_shuffle_3rd_s.jpg..

carrying a cam is a bulky thing...but carrying a ipod is very easy only 10gms..

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
one idea struck my mind.....y not have a good touch screen phone with good cam capability (something like samsung models have or Idou will give) and that small ipod shuffle 3th gen of 4 gb *compareindia.in.com/media/product/2009/mar/apple_ipod_shuffle_3rd_s.jpg..

whatever you say but I hate ipod. it sucks for me. there are many ways to get music output than ipod ;)

No matter if it is more than 10gms.

Tamoghno

Padawan

Umm , actually its nearly impossiblle to put a nice camera in reasonably thick phones. A good camera needs bigger sensor(physically bigger , not in megapixel) , and to cover bigger sensor with light it needs some space between lens and sensor , a physically bigger lense and a larger aparture opening size. Which will make a cellphone quite thick and heavy and costly(good lense are actually quite costly) . Even if you look at digicam world , slimmer cameras like nikon's s series or sony's t series perform worse than other camera. Just putting more megapixel in cameras may actually do more harm. N86 tried to solve atleast one of the problem by making the aparture larger and result is evident .

On the other hand , to make a nice mp3 player , all a phone needs to do is put a nice dsp chip ,like those used in ipods , in a cellphone mainboard. So it is not practically that hard compared to put a camera in cellphone.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I agree that cam can not be as good but video recording is good in mobile...putting a dsp chip will make sound it good but again u have to put ur headphones which I hate(specially the cord all around my head)...
And there is limitation for speaker in mobile.

BTW anyone used A2DP thing....hows the sound effect....any recommendation with price:smile:

And I not a bigg fan of apple..just a fan of their design and innovative products

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Btw, about the N86. The variable aperture is only beneficial in low light conditions. The aperture is generally f/2.4 in daylight and doesnt provide massive increase in quality. Check out the sample pics, the Innov8 is still the best in business.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Check out the A2dp headsets from SE. Namely the ds220/200, they are the best. You wont get a cool next sling style, but with a 3.5 mm jack and easy portability, it does the job. Best of the lot in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom