My first post from Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
what do you need?
just download ubuntu & install it, simple:)
so extra queries open a new thread, regarding hardware compatibility
check hardware compatibility LISt(HCL)

[edit]
read this if you get any in stallion error
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=508863

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
gary4gar said:
Dont read if you are busy
[offtopic]well i am really short of money these days, damm college, i give almost all of pocket money goes into mobile,petrol & misc stuff( now please don't ask about misc stuff:p)[/offtopic]
:arrow:Read this
Ontopic
how much a 400w watt psu will cost?
also availability in my city

Abt 500 bucks if im not mistaken,
A friend of mine got a Zebronics one couple of weeks back.

Regards,
ray

sivarap

In the zone
gary4gar said:
^^^
what do you need?
just download ubuntu & install it, simple:)
so extra queries open a new thread, regarding hardware compatibility
check hardware compatibility LISt(HCL)
things like how to install drivers, any way to run the windows applns in ubuntu? how to login as admin....cos I used the boot from cd version of ubuntu that came with digit long back....I couldn't login as admin....I finally lost interest and quit....

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You need to use a command called sudo (or gksu) to become root temporarily. I don't see why you should be root/admin forever cause its not needed for full functionality like stupid Windows does.

There is absolutely no need to install drivers on Linux, its all automatically configured and ready out of the box.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
sivarap said:
things like how to install drivers, any way to run the windows applns in ubuntu? how to login as admin....cos I used the boot from cd version of ubuntu that came with digit long back....I couldn't login as admin....I finally lost interest and quit....
drivers(if opensource) come inbuilt & common app likes word prosserors, web browsers etc also come preinstalled

all ubuntu comes in new version every 6 months so there is a lot of changes since you tried it:rolleyes:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
sivarap said:

Dude,you need to move away from the idea that admin access is needed to use the system,
Unlike in windows where a guest account is crap,
The normal accounts in linux can do almost everything,
and u need to be root(aka admin in ur lingo ;)) to install s/w only.
And as for drivers u wudnt need to worry abt them as long as u have ATI/NVidia graphics in which case u wud need to install drivers.
Drivers for almost everything else is inbuilt.

Regards,
ray

sivarap

In the zone
rayraven said:
Dude,you need to move away from the idea that admin access is needed to use the system,
Unlike in windows where a guest account is crap,
The normal accounts in linux can do almost everything,
and u need to be root(aka admin in ur lingo ;)) to install s/w only.
And as for drivers u wudnt need to worry abt them as long as u have ATI/NVidia graphics in which case u wud need to install drivers.
Drivers for almost everything else is inbuilt.

Regards,
ray
I am quite familiar with solaris...... to install a sw, it comes as gz or tar rite? then doing a makefile blah blah blah....
are they not reqd in ubuntu?

sivarap

In the zone
and....to install ubuntu should I make a separate partition? coz my laptop came with only one partition and I left it that way......

ray|raven

Think Zen.
sivarap said:
I am quite familiar with solaris...... to install a sw, it comes as gz or tar rite? then doing a makefile blah blah blah....
are they not reqd in ubuntu?

As Qwerty said u cud install pre-built binaries from the ubuntu repositories.
However,if u are intrested in building ur apps,
u cud always download the source and build it.

But if u are into building apps urself,then ubuntu might not be the correct distro IMO.
Try for something based on gentoo/slackware.

And for ur partition query,
Yes u need 2 more partitions.
One for installing ubuntu and one for swap.

Regards,
ray

sivarap

In the zone
QwertyManiac said:
Not with a working internet connection. All you need to do is:

sudo apt-get install software-name
see htis is what i was talking abt.....where do i find the commands? I know...I'll learn as times passes...but won't it be good if everything is like just outta the box?

rayraven said:
As Qwerty said u cud install pre-built binaries from the ubuntu repositories.
However,if u are intrested in building ur apps,
u cud always download the source and build it.

But if u are into building apps urself,then ubuntu might not be the correct distro IMO.
Try for something based on gentoo/slackware.

And for ur partition query,
Yes u need 2 more partitions.
One for installing ubuntu and one for swap.

Regards,
ray
Just as i feared.... I know there used to be something called partition magic.....is there any way to create partitions on the fly?
I mean can ubuntu installation make new partitions outta free space? if I remember right RHL or solaris installation had this feature.....

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Um hello? There is GUI for almost every command available, I was just suggesting the most easy way. If you don't like CLI you might as well fire up Add/Remove Programs or Synaptic Package Manager from the menus and happily tick away and hit Install.

And please, just boot once and go upto the partitioning step and then ask questions like those. You seem way behind in time.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
sivarap said:
see htis is what i was talking abt.....where do i find the commands? I know...I'll learn as times passes...but won't it be good if everything is like just outta the box?

You could skip the commands if u are un-comfortable with them.
There is a GUI in ubuntu through which u can select apps and install them.
But remember that the terminal is a very powerful tool and gives u full control over what u want to do.

Just as i feared.... I know there used to be something called partition magic.....is there any way to create partitions on the fly?
I mean can ubuntu installation make new partitions outta free space? if I remember right RHL or solaris installation had this feature.....
Ubuntu live cd comes with gParted partition manager.
its pretty user friendly and can create partitions.

Regards,
ray

Last edited:

sivarap

In the zone
QwertyManiac said:
seem way behind in time.
u r right....long time since i got in touch with the PC technologies..... :confused:

Totally into Broadband commns now...u know..... speed at teras....:cool:

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Guys...........
Newbie here........

I hv never used any OS in my life except Windows...........So Pls tell me Wht is this Ubuntu? For wht it is famous for........
How gud is this software and .....................

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Ron said:
I hv never used any OS in my life except Windows
Don't tell any others ;) You should always do experiments. Else there will not be any fun or freshness.
Ron said:
...........So Pls tell me Wht is this Ubuntu? For wht it is famous for........
Ubuntu is a very polished, easy to use, simple, very good OS which is FREE
Ron said:
How gud is this software and .....................
Download / get a copy of latest Ubuntu, run it as live CD, play with it, experiment, and once you start loving it and when you get the feeling that you are going to become an addict (like me lol), install it in your PC. It is pretty easy and lot of resources in internet / here in this forum if you come across any problems.

Good luck, and welcome - join the Ubuntu Addicts club :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom