My first post from Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
I know this is a childish post !

Anyway I am pretty happy to connect net in Ubuntu (Airtel GPRS) and the first page I am browsing is that of Digit.

Thanks a lot for all my friends here who encouraged, helped and suggested.

One thing i would like to comment on - I never thought Ubuntu will be this easy and polished !!! This is pretty pretty cool. Everything is fast, installation is pretty easy, configuration is easy and finally help in net is really great (forums n all).

I am going to try things on multimedia now.

I know this is a useless post, so Admin / Mods, please feel free to delete it. NP. I was so excited and thats the reason for this post !

Once again, thank you all.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Thank you.

Debian is for the PC. I couldn't plan the trip tes, so it is getting delayed :(

Ubuntu, I installed in Laptop. Downloading restricted drivers n stuff now ...

praka123

left this forum longback
install java runtime also.and dont install package "flashplugin-nonfree" instead download flashplayer 9 beta(gtk support much superior) from *download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer9_update/flashplayer9_install_linux_100107.tar.gz
then extract and copy "libflashplayer.so" into ur /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ directory and restart ur mozilla/iceweasel or firefox for better support.the above thing needs root user privilage.open nautilus file manager as "gksudo nautilus" and do copying etc.
happy linuxing. :)
flash9beta details:
*labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Update

Using Wine I could run Dreamweaver (I am yet to find a decent opensource alternaive for DW, saw Nvu though) in Ubuntu. Only problem I see is - lot os js errors. May be I need to try winetools. Any info ? Or this does not come under Lin / Open source ? If so, I am sorry, please ignore this post.

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Update again

Lil googling always helps. Solved it :)

Dreamweaver works perfectly now.

I think I should start checking for alternatives - even though the Wine + DW worked perfectly . I mean not only for DW, but for all apps. Office (open office) is great. LAMP, I am going to try XAMPP (I used it in Win for a long time), IM - pidgin is great. So most things are there. Now I feel somehow I will make the move from Win to Lin completely ! May be not very fast but won't take that long too.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
if u for testing webpages in internet explorer in Linux,use ies4linux:
*www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

OP
din

din

Tribal Boy
Great. Thanks a lot Prakash.

Meantime, I would like to share my experience (if it will help any noobs like me), like how I connected internet, how I enabled multimedia, how I ran DW using wine etc. Will it be of any use for others ? I mean all know these things already ?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Yay another person from kerala using Ubuntu ! Maybe we should start a cult or something... Ok J/k :D !

Install java runtime also.and dont install package "flashplugin-nonfree" instead download flashplayer 9 beta(gtk support much superior

Sigh , I installed the non-free one. Is there a 64 bit version for the flashplayer9 beta. The How to on Ubuntu also points to the non-free version =x . Can I install the flashplayer 9 on top of what I have ?

praka123

left this forum longback
^remove the "flashplugin-nonfree" from synaptic.then copy the beta flash9 into the said directories.yes u can overwrite.but sometimes the oldplugin will be installed again due to some updates etc.BTW,for 64-bit u need nspluginwrapper for running these 32-bit plugins.do u have that?

Sykora

I see right through you.
@din : I know a lot of people who would benefit from knowing how you connected to the internet, that's the most common complaint I get.

If you want alternatives to common windows apps, try the linux alternative project : *www.linuxalt.com. They've got choices for most common programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom