Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Watched Blue Ruin, amateur revenge movie. Sticks to realism without any over the top scenes. It's everything but a typical hollywood movie.

Watched Alien too, just so that I see the similarity in Alien Isolation. Creative Assembly did an excellent job in replicating the same environment.

ajayritik

Technomancer
You know, this movie could have starred SRK and would have made same impression in people. This is his area of forte, acting like child and lotsa emotions.

Anyway, if SRK had stared it I would have rated it 10/10, but its my personal agenda against any other 'khan' apart from SR 'Khan' that I've rated it thus.

In no way other similar reviews and/or ratings shared by fellow digitians distract you that my review could be independent and not biased!
Let there be peace bro!

icebags

Technomancer
can you put in a bit more info on what theme is in a spoiler? There seems to be no detailed info in english.

here u go.

its based on foreigner backpacker experience on traveling in india, what they expect, what they find, how they stay, travel, navigate around, and also the cultural shocks and etc etc.

for a more detailed synopsis u may click this link, and its a spoiler: Nao Kanzaki and a few friends: Masami Nagasawa in Ganges Gawa de Butterfly, a brief synopsis

a lot shooting was done in kolkata (including howrah station probably, i don't remember) and to the way to varanasi. some scenes are a little exaggerated in J style, but overall u will be thinking a lot of stuff after watching it.

lol, why govt always make such incredible india & atithi deba vaba ads, but never actually cares to take a look at travel infrastructure & peoples mentality, there are many things we see in our everyday life, those appear normal to us, but when seen from a foreigner's eye, the same become a bit of disturbing.

quan chi

mortal kombat
Super 8

I am still confused if I should put it in the must not thread.
The first few mins of the movie is really good & interesting. Anybody who has read or loved alfred hitchcock & the three investigators, famous five or any alfred hitchcock movies might agree with this. However as the movie progresses it just becomes worse & worse which means over direction,acting, melodrama etc. In short it becomes boring.
The movie had content but it was not made well. Again it has been overrated at IMDB. Maybe a good film for under 15. Speilberg now teaming up with bay & abrahams & producing such crap movies.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
lol, why govt always make such incredible india & atithi deba vaba ads, but never actually cares to take a look at travel infrastructure & peoples mentality, there are many things we see in our everyday life, those appear normal to us, but when seen from a foreigner's eye, the same become a bit of disturbing.
Railway station sight will be culture shock.

The ads were made to make people aware of this basic things which people learn in their primary standard textbook. Unfortunately like you said govt only shows the ad & considers the job done. Strict rules should be made for maintaining hygiene all over the city. Behaving good with foreigners. If you see the history you will find many instances where people behaved bad even with our fellow neighbours like chinese & the japnese.

Its not that only most of the people in this country are bad. people in other countries are bad too but may not be to this extent. Why don't we open a thread & people who have experience on foreign travels share their experience there.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
IMDb: 100 best movies - a list by rhitwick

The list ends at 78 (The Producers). Where are other 12?
And I hope the list isn't in a particular order? Since Hum Tum on #7?

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Saw the note. Should have completed the 100 first. -_-

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Saw The Cabin in the Woods since my cousin pressured to do so.

And boy I did I like the film? I was so wrong about it the whole time that it would be another "Hack n' Slash" horror movie.. but it wasn't! It instead was everything that I wasn't expecting!

The closest thing I can compare it is "Cube" which came out in 1997. Wow.

CUBE ..??? there is nothing even remotely common between these two .....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
CUBE ..??? there is nothing even remotely common between these two .....

Well, it was!

You are trapped in a place you can't really leave (the way they get trapped is different).
Traps to kill people are setup by people themselves. In Cube it was setup by the people who built the Cube maze, in CITW they were being manufactured by people in that lab.
In both the movies the killing of people were being held by scientists and largely in the name of "entertainment".

I think "remote" connections are there.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The list ends at 78 (The Producers). Where are other 12?
And I hope the list isn't in a particular order? Since Hum Tum on #7?

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Saw the note. Should have completed the 100 first. -_-

I know, I know. The list was work in progress for such a long time now (may be 4-5 years) that I wanted to publish it anyway.

I'll keep adding here, considering the pace at which movies got added to it, next 12 might take another 4-6 years!

:p

Flash

Lost in speed
I Origins - 9/10
A best sci-fi movie without relying on the CGI effects. Though it started slow, it picked up its phase in the middle and ended with the decision left to the user's imagination. I never knew, so many scientific things behind our eyes. Thanks to someone above, who posted the movie in this thread.

icebags

Technomancer
The ads were made to make people aware of this basic things which people learn in their primary standard textbook. Unfortunately like you said govt only shows the ad & considers the job done. Strict rules should be made for maintaining hygiene all over the city. Behaving good with foreigners. If you see the history you will find many instances where people behaved bad even with our fellow neighbours like chinese & the japnese.

Its not that only most of the people in this country are bad. people in other countries are bad too but may not be to this extent. Why don't we open a thread & people who have experience on foreign travels share their experience there.

good idea, create something called "Digitians overseas travel thread" or something like that, i think many ppl here would love to share their exp. and i will read instead, since have no such exp. :D

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Well, it was!

You are trapped in a place you can't really leave (the way they get trapped is different).
Traps to kill people are setup by people themselves. In Cube it was setup by the people who built the Cube maze, in CITW they were being manufactured by people in that lab.
In both the movies the killing of people were being held by scientists and largely in the name of "entertainment".

I think "remote" connections are there.

THAT! defines a common ground ... lol, its like saying Terminator 1 is similar to Lethal Wepon 4 .... in both the protagonist are fighting against a efficient killing machine, though in T1 its a cyborg and LW4 its a human. or may be star trek and star wars both have space ships......... and BTW .....in CUBE
it was not for entertainment
.....so there is no "remote" connection unless you want a vague one to be ... :)

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Gone Girl 8/10

I've thought about the movie in different ways; thought from Amy's perspective, from Nick's perspective.
Tried to think of a closure, tried to think of a perfect get-back but couldn't.
And, this makes me angry, from anger I then start finding loopholes and discontinuity in the movie.

It starts slow, like really S L O W. Then it picks up the pace post intermission (I guessed it, might be just mid of movie)

I've few questions most would go into spoiler but one I can leave open...

Why such realistic ending to such non-realistic plot? I mean, look at Amy's story and then consider Nicks fate at end of movie.
I mean, I've few of my own answers for that but lets hear what you all have to say

1> She actually planned to kill herself!!! I mean, is that even a good plan? She plotted the whole thing for almost 1.5 years ago (remember what she told when mentioning about insurance renewal? She did it 1.5 years ago and that was part of her plan. She had put enough evidence to put him in jail. How about cutting few fingers and hide it in some search-able places? I think thats better than "kill self" plan!!!

2> How did she become pregnant? I can clearly recall he told he did not even touch her let alone fcuk, then he demanded DNA test, blood test, paternity test and in reply to that she said "I love tests"!!! And he just accepts the baby as his?!!! Why? What did she actually meant when she said "I love tests". Am I missing something.

3> Why did Nick let go of the lawyer? He could have asked him to trace her footsteps. She said to check the CCTV footages from the house but they would sure miss her first one week. They required to corroborate her story with things that found....

I'm basically angry that Nick could not take revenge on her, and my questions reflect that :(

Top Bottom