Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Thana Theke Aschi (Bengali, english translate of title "Coming from Police Station") 8/10

This is a remake of a 1965 movie acted by our very beloved Uttam Kumar. A very different kind of story. The remake does not have an IMDB entry so posting the official website url: Thana Theke Aschi, Official Website, Starring Paoli Dam, Sabyasachi Chakraborty, Rudranil Ghosh, Parambrata...

For the interested ones I'm putting the synopsis here,

Laughter… the familiar chink of glasses and crockery… the dazzle of the chandeliers… In a dark, dingy room smeared with grime, Sandhya Mondal is weeping……. Amarnath Mallick, the business magnate and powerful politician is celebrating. So is his socialite wife Sutopa…. over the engagement of their daughter Rinita to the young, rich and ambitious Rajat Dutta… who is the son of another business tycoon known to them…. Sandhya Mondal is encompassed by darkness….fear, dread, shame…..she is lost…she can see nothing but blackness ahead of her…..

The party is over. It was a grand success. The guests have departed. The sparkling jewelry that Rinita has received needs to be put away…….but that can wait. Now that the guests have all gone, the Mallick household will sit down to do a post mortem of the party. Arin, the non-conformist scion of the Mallick family will also sit to discuss the party with his Mom and Dad, Sis and Brother-in-law-to -be……The final flicker of light fades in Panchanantala bustee…..

There is a sharp knock at the door. The Sub-Inspector of Padma Pukur Police Station, Tinkori Haldar enters the fabulous Mallick mansion. The family is stunned. And furious….Who the hell is this Sub-Inspector to barge into the house on this auspicious day? "Forgive my intrusion, but I've come to inquire about the suicide of one Sandhya Mondal of the bustee…"

More rage and anger from the family…"What rubbish! How are we, a premier family of Kolkata, connected with the suicide of a slum dweller? We have never heard of any Sandhya Mondal!"

"But Sir," persists Tinkori Haldar gently but firmly, "I would like you all to see her photograph…" The words strike home. But more strange is the man in front of them, the Sub-Inspector…who is he? How singularly odd he is. How uncanny. How surreal! "Look at the photograph carefully…" he drawls in his professional voice.

The family starts going to pieces. But why? Why the sudden change of manner? Only a minute ago they swore with full confidence that they had never even heard of the woman in the photograph…Then did the confidence spring from ignorance? Did they actually know her? Maybe even share a relationship with her? As the plot thickens, only one thing is clear…. there's more to it than meets the eye…

Interested ones can check this out. Contains a few predictable twists but good gripping story indeed.

IMDB link for original movie: Thana Theke Aschi (1965)

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Trying my best to avoid reading Inception posts till I watch the movie. And its gonna be a while! :p

Wanted to watch After.Life today. Dumb CRCs sigh*

dd_wingrider

In the zone
Watched Inception, Nice fresh concept. Loved It. For some reason the Funcinemas was playing the movie with subtitles :) , made it little easier to follow the whole dreams/projections etc .

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Watched Inception, Nice fresh concept. Loved It. For some reason the Funcinemas was playing the movie with subtitles :) , made it little easier to follow the whole dreams/projections etc .

whoa,, thanks to telling me dude...will check Fun cinemas out... :)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
For family viewing...comedies...that's a tuff one. If you are watching with your girlfriend/wife then:

Meet the Fockers
Meet the Parents
She is Out of My League
Sex Drive...there are many more...

In bollywood, lately I watched Houseful (though didn't like it but there were some funny moments)...you can try Khatta Meetha which is released now...

ajayritik

Technomancer
For family viewing...comedies...that's a tuff one. If you are watching with your girlfriend/wife then:

Meet the Fockers
Meet the Parents
She is Out of My League
Sex Drive...there are many more...

In bollywood, lately I watched Houseful (though didn't like it but there were some funny moments)...you can try Khatta Meetha which is released now...
Thanks for your suggestions gagan!
Any more suggestion friends!

a_medico

Chillum Baba
After.Life (2009) - Twisted script. Some loose ends but definitely interesting. And it has Liam Nelson and Christiana Ricci too. Worth a watch.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
@ichi :- Hey man, haven't seen you since a long time! Well, today I saw one of my fav. childhood movies. I have seen this movies 7 times (according to my parents) in the theater :p. I loved this movie a lot when I was young. It's a Hindi movie called Border. I hope everyone of you is familiar with it :D. Will now give it a 7.5/10. Solid movie and still one of my favs :D.

Top Bottom