Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

harsh1387

Broken In
Its definitely whether you want to watch such lame movies or not. But its not always about business & profit making. People like Farhan Akhtar who makes excellent, critically-acclaimed movies don't give much importance to that while making a movie but unfortunately, people like Mahesh Bhatt do.

True that. But I am Indian and I want our movies to be good as well. Atleast worthy of watching once. When my dad asks me let's watch a movie I can atleast say okay let's go there is a good one playing. Like I recommended him Satyagraha cos I know Prakash Jha makes good movies.
However we have very few directors like Jha and Akhtar. Most of bollywood still revolves around the Johar and Bhatt kinda camps.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
True, the man made his career by ripping off other movies, but you missed my point.

My point of mentioning Bhatt was to highlight his copying of hollywood movies.

True that. But I am Indian and I want our movies to be good as well. Atleast worthy of watching once. When my dad asks me let's watch a movie I can atleast say okay let's go there is a good one playing. Like I recommended him Satyagraha cos I know Prakash Jha makes good movies.
However we have very few directors like Jha and Akhtar. Most of bollywood still revolves around the Johar and Bhatt kinda camps.

Thats why bollywood has become crap when you have less substance, more crap.

cyborg47

Technomancer
My point of mentioning Bhatt was to highlight his copying of hollywood movies.

Cool, and my point was that this kind of plagiarism exists in hollywood as well. Lets take a look at Lion King, considered masterpiece by so many people including me, and only 2D animated movie that grossed a billion, was shamelessly ripped off from Japanese anime series, not that I'm defending Bhatt in anyway, but my point is that Hollywood and a lot of other movie industries get way too much praise than they deserve.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Cool, and my point was that this kind of plagiarism exists in hollywood as well. Lets take a look at Lion King, considered masterpiece by so many people including me, and only 2D animated movie that grossed a billion, was shamelessly ripped off from Japanese anime series, not that I'm defending Bhatt in anyway, but my point is that Hollywood and a lot of other movie industries get way too much praise than they deserve.

:facepalm:
FYI almost more than half of Hollywood movies have no "original" idea. Example':- DC/Marvel comics movies, Novel-based movies ... :-D. Richard Gere's Chicago was also based on a Japanese movie which Gere himself told the audience in India when he was asked why bollywood copies hollywood movies (the man who asked this question gave the example of Murder , copy of Unfaithful ). The story is already there. Its what you put on the screen that matters. Bollywood is very good at , as you said, "ripping off" other movies. But hollywood makes them better :-D.

harsh1387

Broken In
It's a never ending debate. Bottom line- right now bollywood is dishing out mostly trash movies but I hope trend may change in future with new young directors coming in.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree.! :)

Yep. Some movies at IMDB are highly under rated.
For E.G. this Australian Movie is a serious Pain Inducing movie. "*www.imdb.com/title/tt1570559/?ref_=sr_1"

first I noticed this with Silent Hill ;) and I'll watch the Australian movie.

BTW, recently watched these :

1. Village of the Damned [ 1960 ]
2. Warlock all 3 Parts.
3. John Carpenters Vampire, Ghosts on Mars [ JC is my favorite director :D ]
4. Lesbian Vampire Killers, Vampires Suck, Tropic Thunder [ funny movies ]
5. Picnic At Hanging Rock [ 1975 ]
6. Day of Anger, Winchester, Joe Kid
7. Basket case 1-3, Halloween 1-6
8. The Ward, Timeline, Night wolf
9. Night Watch [ saw the sequel day watch before ]
10. And now watching Dirty Harry movies ;)

Hrishi

first I noticed this with Silent Hill ;) and I'll watch the Australian movie.

BTW, recently watched these :

1. Village of the Damned [ 1960 ]
2. Warlock all 3 Parts.
3. John Carpenters Vampire, Ghosts on Mars [ JC is my favorite director :D ]
4. Lesbian Vampire Killers, Vampires Suck, Tropic Thunder [ funny movies ]
5. Picnic At Hanging Rock [ 1975 ]
6. Day of Anger, Winchester, Joe Kid
7. Basket case 1-3, Halloween 1-6
8. The Ward, Timeline, Night wolf
9. Night Watch [ saw the sequel day watch before ]
10. And now watching Dirty Harry movies ;)
Make sure you watch the Burning man without any kids , there are some obscene scenes in that movie. :wink:
Wait...you 18+ yet ?? .......
I know you are...I am just kidding.

------------------------------
BTW , I recently Completed watching the Entire series of "Game Of Thrones" released till date(SE1 to SE3 10 ). It was painful for the eyes to bear all in a matter of day.
The story is really complex as long as the lannysters are involved and specially to complicate it more(Lord baelish,that eunuch guy conspiracies).Loved the part of Dannarys Taggyareyn and the Dragons though.

I am looking forward to reading the novels , as I can't wait to find out what will happen in the end.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
The Invisible 8/10

Even though Films like Dabang/Singham are brainless,Its damn fun to watch :grin:
I liked GoW and GoW 2 also because they had :bandanafighter::sniper::newgun::flamethrower::enforcer2::enforcer::sword::2subs::machinegun2: i.e GUNS! you rarely see a good variety of guns in Bolly films

Tenida

Gadget Freak
The Grey (2011): 8.8/10
*i.imgur.com/731mVJr.jpg

After their plane crashes in Alaska, six oil workers are led by a skilled huntsman to survival, but a pack of merciless wolves haunts their every step.

harsh1387

Broken In
Parker
Return of Jason Statham, I was a tad disappointed seeing him in Redemption but he is back with a bang. He is doing what he does best. Lots of action with a special mention to hotel fight which was well executed.
Story ain't unique, Somewhat similar to Faster.
Few plot holes but with its fast pace they can be ignored. J Lo is a waste and totally unnecessary character.
Rating- 9/10

Top Bottom