Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Dumbest post of the week :facepalm:

Really ? Tell me how many hollywood vs bollywood movies recommendations do you see in this thread itself. Count 600 pages.

I'm not implying to say that bollywood is bad, but that doesn't makes it superior.

And I never "always" compare bollywood films to hollywood. What I compared in my previous post was a trend, which was unique (no song) in bollywood movies.

ashs1

Padawan
planning to watch madras cafe & satyagraha next week...

Also, last night, on star movies, movie named " in time" was being aired. its a sci-fi movie.
saw some parts of the movie & seemed good.

harsh1387

Broken In
The fact is bollywood movies had degraded when it comes to quality cinema specially content wise. People are more interested in making 100 crore movies then the movies which have a good story line and decent acting.

amjath

Human Spambot
Obviously it is, but I stated just as a matter of fact.

btw since you're from chennai, can you tell why tamilians were against release of this film ? Was anything portrayed wrong in the film ? Or reality being altered?
Tamil Nadu theatres refuse to screen Madras Cafe - Times Of India
but i feel Truth hurts bro.
@amjath though I respect your opinion. I should admit that there are quite a few movies in Hollywood which are completely crass, boring so you can't generalize saying you like Hollywood movies since they have good story or atleast they concentrate on CG.

I don't know why people here whenever they get chance start targeting movies made in India and compare them with Hollywood movies. It's a fashion I guess.

I dont know why but I hate listening to songs [Indian especially :p], which is why i hate indian movies. But there are few movies as I mentioned before like Don 2, A wednesday [tamil version also] which I wanted to watch again and again. But definitely its not fashion and I dont get anything to bash indian movies :p

It's not a fashion. Hollywood = benchmark. If you disagree, then I don't have anything to say.

Totally agree on this. Those who dont agree think how did u get the concept for movies like Krish, Ra one etc

Satyagraha 10/10

Wow, released today?

d3p

PowerHouse
It's not a fashion. Hollywood = benchmark. If you disagree, then I don't have anything to say.

I can't comment on the normal movies, but cartoons are IP's.

Benchmarks can be copied & broken according to your needs or requirements, but not IP's.

That's the reason, sometimes you find Hollywood suing Bollywood for coping contents. That includes story line, background score & lot of other thing.

Why you say hollywood movies are benchmarks ??

According to me, you feel the concept involved in making those action sequence or drama or dialogues are unique & never been used anywhere else. CGI to VFX everything is of top notch, hence the entertainment.

But one thing is missing from this picture, that is the money which is involved. When Indian's are involved in making movies like Life of Pie, with amazing visuals for a hollywood industry, don't you think they can use the same with Bollywood.

But problem is the money which is allocated for the same.

Example :
Hollywood Movies will demand top notch VFX & least bothered about who does the narration.

Whereas in bollywood, the prime focus is who does the background score or narration & least bothered about VFX or storyline.

Bollywood is more like a cost effective entertainment. Start from storyline to CGI/VFX & drama to songs.

Sometimes its better not to compare two different industries based on the above points, but as far as entertainment is concerned it can be.

harsh1387

Broken In
Indeed. Both industries can't be Compared cos we can never match their 200+ million budget of making movies.

However the point is about the content quality. The script and acting. We lack in originality so much it's appalling.

Earlier we use to copy only from Hollywood. Now we copy from French, Spanish and whosoever. Hell if nothing else we copy from South movies or just Do their remakes. Originality has gone into dumps. Sad but true.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Indeed. Both industries can't be Compared cos we can never match their 200+ million budget of making movies.
That 200+ million budget thing can be done in India on fraction of that , remember people come to India to save cost, many movies have rendered their CG in India (many big movie and with major part) however, truth is that we even Indians don't know how to reap the talent. I see this not only in movies / CG but even in common other business. Now it will even more cost effective as rupee slides ..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I can't comment on the normal movies, but cartoons are IP's.

Sorry but didn't get IP's ?

Why you say hollywood movies are benchmarks ?

According to me, you feel the concept involved in making those action sequence or drama or dialogues are unique & never been used anywhere else. CGI to VFX everything is of top notch, hence the entertainment.

But one thing is missing from this picture, that is the money which is involved. When Indian's are involved in making movies like Life of Pie, with amazing visuals for a hollywood industry, don't you think they can use the same with Bollywood.

But problem is the money which is allocated for the same.

Your second line itself answers the question.

What actually creates a benchmark ? Something "good" from which something can be learnt.

PS: What harsh said:

However the point is about the content quality. The script and acting. We lack in originality so much it's appalling.

Earlier we use to copy only from Hollywood. Now we copy from French, Spanish and whosoever. Hell if nothing else we copy from South movies or just Do their remakes. Originality has gone into dumps. Sad but true.

Regarding money, up to a point, it's valid, but it doesn't nullifies bollywood's dumbness over creating crap movies like Dabang. There are crap movies in hollywood too. In bollywood, they make movies just for the sake of making. That's what fueling multi crore club culture.

So that 600 number automatically makes their movies a benchmark?

OK buddy. First thing, no body posts here to be called dumb or shite like that. So first control your emotions. Everyone has their own views. And you've got the right to counter it, via peaceful & meaningful manner.

I never wanted and compared the two industries. I just stated a change in trend, which some people took in such an aggressive manner, which itself should be a benchmark for Congress to learn aggressiveness against reforms.

Welcome to India .

Satyagraha 10/10

Seriously ? 6.5 is OK for that movie. Different people have different views regarding an art, but so much difference !

cyborg47

Technomancer
OK buddy. First thing, no body posts here to be called dumb or shite like that. So first control your emotions. Everyone has their own views. And you've got the right to counter it, via peaceful & meaningful manner.

I never wanted and compared the two industries. I just stated a change in trend, which some people took in such an aggressive manner, which itself should be a benchmark for Congress to learn aggressiveness against reforms.

Welcome to India .

Alright, lets call it an unintelligent post for your convenience, though I still think the 'hollywood = benchmark' is an extremely dumb statement whether that's coming from you or anybody, and '600 page recommendations' line makes it even more dumber.
May be I should go to the local theaters and ask for people's opinion on chennai express and consider those kind of bolly movies as benchmark, coz that would be a higher count compared to a bunch of dudes on an internet forum, right? :p

Or may be we should all blame the audiences for 'some' of the $hitty movies bollywood makes. I mean, for a producer, its all about money at the end of the day, whether its shawshank redemption or chennai express, its pointless for the financier to invest in a movie that doesn't make money. Some of the better hollywood films that you consider as benchmark have an extremely huge audience base, makes sense for them to invest as much as more than a thousand crores on them, and then gowariker makes Swades...nobody gives a single F about it.

At the end of the day, every movie industry makes turds and masterpieces, we have twilights and transformers that make millions and billions at the BO, so there's no such thing as benchmark, at all, you're just delusional if you think so.

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
@cyborg47: :facepalm: you should read the definition of "dumb" in "Oxford's" Dictionary , not some desi-made dictionary in your pocket for the "benchmark" & "600-page recommendations" comment is not dumb. Hollywood has a wider audience, presence, budget. Setting it as a benchmark & extracting the good things out of it is not a dumb thing to do.

Bollywood is making crap, especially in recent times, movies. There's no doubt it. Action scenes have become a joke. Film-makers have proved how they failed in Physics in school for there is no law of gravity, no limits of force in hero's fists (Godzilla would be no monster infront of them), redefined pain by showing that a criminal which plays with bullets n knives can be cowed down to their knees with the use of weapons of mass destruction called "empty wet clothes " (shootout at wadala's scence of anil kapoor beating up a man at the laundry "with clothes of course" :-D ). I don't know what genre to put in movies like Dabang, Singham, etc.
What's more disappointing is that people are actually loving this trend. For a film like Chennai Express to surpass 3 Idiots! speaks volumes of what kind of content does our public want. Now that I can call as "DUMB" but will not for the sake of it. Songs are a total unnecessary, unwanted content in a film. They only make the film longer & eventually boring. Delhi Belly had no songs (or one I dont exactly remember) but it was one good movie & Gangs of Wasseypur seems to be Bollywood's answer to Martin Scorcese's works.
I am not always at praise for Hollywood for I am done with America saving the rest of the world. But even with that overused concept, they make movies which you cannot resist watching like Nolan's movies. Acting is never a problem in the west but I simply cannot say the same about here.

Last edited:

harsh1387

Broken In
For a very large part I blame us- the audience. If we flock the theatres and make dabang and chennai express kinda movies super duper hit then of course producers will be encouraged to make more such garbage as who doesn't like to count the raining money.

Films like Gangs of waseypur or Delhi belly may get critical acclaim but how much money they earn? In the end it's a profit making business and we are being served what we are showing we want.

cyborg47

Technomancer
@cyborg47: :facepalm: you should read the definition of "dumb" in "Oxford's" Dictionary , not some desi-made dictionary in your pocket for the "benchmark" & "600-page recommendations" comment is not dumb. Hollywood has a wider audience, presence, budget. Setting it as a benchmark & extracting the good things out of it is not a dumb thing to do.

Glad to know your definition of 'dumb' :)

and its hilarious how some of you make things up out of nothing, last time some guy called me a hollywood fanboy, and now you're giving an impression that I'm a bollywood fanboy :p

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
For a very large part I blame us- the audience. If we flock the theatres and make dabang and chennai express kinda movies super duper hit then of course producers will be encouraged to make more such garbage as who doesn't like to count the raining money.

Films like Gangs of waseypur or Delhi belly may get critical acclaim but how much money they earn? In the end it's a profit making business and we are being served what we are showing we want.

Its definitely whether you want to watch such lame movies or not. But its not always about business & profit making. People like Farhan Akhtar who makes excellent, critically-acclaimed movies don't give much importance to that while making a movie but unfortunately, people like Mahesh Bhatt do.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Its definitely whether you want to watch such lame movies or not. But its not always about business & profit making. People like Farhan Akhtar who makes excellent, critically-acclaimed movies don't give much importance to that while making a movie but unfortunately, people like Mahesh Bhatt do.

Isn't that the exact case with the hollywood movies as well? There's Martin Scorsese and then there's Michael Bay, and so on ;)

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Glad to know your definition of 'dumb' :)

and its hilarious how some of you make things up out of nothing, last time some guy called me a hollywood fanboy, and now you're giving an impression that I'm a bollywood fanboy :p
I didn't meant to give such an impression for I am sure I haven't. Its my view towards some guy's view here for I have no interests whether he/she lives in hollywood/bollywood world or neither.

Isn't that the exact case with the hollywood movies as well? There's Martin Scorsese and then there's Michael Bay, and so on ;)

Mahesh Bhatt lacks originality. Not hard to notice.

Top Bottom