Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@Asingh Well please don't take it otherwise but a friendly question.
I must say your taste is weird you gave bodyguard a rating which according to many it doesn't deserve,and for movies like delhi belly or dev.d you have nothing!

Let me make this clear first i haven't seen any(bodyguard and delhi belly) of them yet.

But i did saw some bodyguard scenes and trust me i would say they are straight away lousy.Many people said it was almost a garbage.

Still tastes differ again sorry for asking this question as i just became curious when this movie was bashed by many and one of the members of this forum in must not thread.Then how could you give it a juicy rating

No problemo friend. I liked this question. :)

See...the type of lifestyle I lead, I work straight 8-9 hours at office (most which are spent in strategy and decision making meetings), takes me 1.5 hours to reach office and around 1.5 hours to come back. Which makes it a solid 12 hours x 5 days, non-stop. By the time Friday evening arrives I am quite efffed up in the head. Due to such time tables, I hardly get time for games and movies, and do personal stuff. Then weekends I have to meet a lot of people and interact with groups (not drinking and all) but just meeting people. So I can not really digest movies which show the reality of life in a crude and sickening manner. Delhi Belly and Dev. D did that which irritated me more and grated on my nerves. The type on intensity (yes that is there in Aamir Khan/Rao productions) I all ready have in my life -- if not more. I need the hyper reality visually which movies like Bodyguard (and will be watching Kaavalan too) help me unwind and get 2-3 hours away from reality. Also I am a live-in-the-past freak. Probably because I am much elder to the group here. If you notice I am more interested in watching old Shaolin Flicks, rather than going out for new stuff. A 'Balderunner' satisfies me more than an 'Inception'. Yea, weird taste. :) Also I believe in repeat-value of a movie. DB and PL hardly have that, but Bodyguard does for sure. I watched the original Singam for this (Surya) as I watched Pokiri (Wanted). Oh yea, kicks. But on the flip side I am also a connoisseur of good direction and script. A movie like Aandhi fascinated me to no-end. One of my favorite movies is Vertigo and along with Apocalypse Now....!

@quan chi, asingh already told once that he does not like piece of life movies or movies that are too realistic.

He goes to movies to unwind and "bodyguard" are the kind of movie which help him do that.

Again, he has his choices...

I guess that sums it up nice.
:)

Thanks.

quan chi

mortal kombat
^^I perfectly understand your situation.I dont say weird in the literal sense.
weird means at some places our views does match but on others its completely opposite.

(Btw yes i too liked inception but i didnt loved it.I also like light action movies liked pokiri and wanted (though both have lots of flaws but lets keep aside those)I agree movies like these can be watched over and over.:D
I also liked singham(same as above) and looking forward to watch singam too.)

Anyways thanks for replying.Btw seriously if you want a lighter laughter riot watch gunda if you havent already.Its worth the shot.The movie has many hidden elements which gives it a perfect repeat-value.

No wonder you produced it.:D

just kidding.:)

ssb1551

Technomancer
Fair Game - I was just blown the flick away but since its based on a true story of a gritty couple I reckon the director wouldn't have had much to do...but boy oh boy Sean Penn!!That guy was born to do these kinda roles!! Again a MUST MUST watch!!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
No problemo friend. I liked this question. :)

See...the type of lifestyle I lead, I work straight 8-9 hours at office (most which are spent in strategy and decision making meetings), takes me 1.5 hours to reach office and around 1.5 hours to come back. Which makes it a solid 12 hours x 5 days, non-stop. By the time Friday evening arrives I am quite efffed up in the head. Due to such time tables, I hardly get time for games and movies, and do personal stuff. Then weekends I have to meet a lot of people and interact with groups (not drinking and all) but just meeting people. So I can not really digest movies which show the reality of life in a crude and sickening manner. Delhi Belly and Dev. D did that which irritated me more and grated on my nerves. The type on intensity (yes that is there in Aamir Khan/Rao productions) I all ready have in my life -- if not more. I need the hyper reality visually which movies like Bodyguard (and will be watching Kaavalan too) help me unwind and get 2-3 hours away from reality. Also I am a live-in-the-past freak. Probably because I am much elder to the group here. If you notice I am more interested in watching old Shaolin Flicks, rather than going out for new stuff. A 'Balderunner' satisfies me more than an 'Inception'. Yea, weird taste. :) Also I believe in repeat-value of a movie. DB and PL hardly have that, but Bodyguard does for sure. I watched the original Singam for this (Surya) as I watched Pokiri (Wanted). Oh yea, kicks. But on the flip side I am also a connoisseur of good direction and script. A movie like Aandhi fascinated me to no-end. One of my favorite movies is Vertigo and along with Apocalypse Now....!

I guess that sums it up nice.

Thanks.

OT: I guess people of similar age-group have a similar mindset. My viewpoint is also similar to you. With 10x5 office work, and after so much of typhoons, tornadoes etc. throughout my early part of life, particularly the teenage years, these days I simply can't withstand serious stuffs other than real life. But yeah, old is gold, and films like Aandhi or Anand are still fascinating. But then again, I would prefer a Shammi Kapoor flick any day.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
How old are you "old guys"?

I'm 27...

Lets not bring age into this discussion... u did not like those movies only because u did not wanted to watch serious movies.

I too avoid serious movies but to me they are like "No country for old men", any war themed movie etc...

clmlbx

Technomancer
I believe all must have watched "time machine". If Not then Pls Watch this ASAP..

From me it's 10/10

Well I am revisiting OLD Movies again in "HD"

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
While I also agree with asingh, that 12x5 days of non stop work makes people want to unwind with the movies like Bodyguard, I also agree with rhitwick, that serious movies are those war themed, which I may not like no matter whenever I watch it. Movies like Delhi Belly, may show real life in crude manner, but atleast it's entertaining. And entertainment has many faces, and may not include comedy for me.

Btw, I am a fan of movies like, Artificial Intelligence, Bicentennial Man. and The Time Machine. Those are the categories of movies, I like to refer as, "Thought Provoking". And they also come under the category of Entertainment, which have high replayibility.

@clmlbx: I hope you watch the classic version too. The Time Machine (1960) - IMDb

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
While I also agree with asingh, that 12x5 days of non stop work makes people want to unwind with the movies like Bodyguard, I also agree with rhitwick, that serious movies are those war themed, which I may not like no matter whenever I watch it. Movies like Delhi Belly, may show real life in crude manner, but atleast it's entertaining. And entertainment has many faces, and may not include comedy for me.

Btw, I am a fan of movies like, Artificial Intelligence, Bicentennial Man. and The Time Machine. Those are the categories of movies, I like to refer as, "Thought Provoking". And they also come under the category of Entertainment, which have high replayibility.

@clmlbx: I hope you watch the classic version too. The Time Machine (1960) - IMDb

I love War Movies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Gayniggers from Outer Space - obscure cinema, cult classic. Not for politically correct or self righteous ones.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Now you are just making it. Since it defies all that you had said in a previous post in reply to quan chi.

How does War show me the reality of life, which I am trying to avoid. I talked about my life as a human. I am a civilian right. Now please do not say, I am the bums in DB or the moron in Dev D. But those are real life characters closer to us normal people. War is not.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
The Infidel 8.8/10

A very good black comedy. Thanks anorion for mentioning it...I had it with me but never had the enthu to watch it.
Comparable to "Four Lions" and moreover it never goes serious...
A must watch and a remarkable movie which touches some serious issues still manages to stay light.

The Infidel - Funny in parts. But overall it didnt work for me. Maybe I expected it to resemble Four Lions. For me, Four Lions is altogether in a different league.

ajayritik

Technomancer
asingh, I agree with your statement. Even I have a similar situation like yours. I know many people didn't like Ready(Hindi) but I thought the movie was very entertaining. Well that's what matters most. I don't want to waste my time watching a realistic movie etc either on TV or in theater unless I have lots of time at hand. I also like Singham(Hindi).

I'm sure many people here on this forum wouldn't mention Ready and Singham in Must Watch Movies list.

Offtopic. Guys is it possible to come up with a thread which has Recently watched or Just watched movies. I mean I find lots of movies in Must Watch Movies thread here which are just about passable. These movies need not be Not must watch.

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^ Even I Did, rated Singham 7/10.

singham, Ready were entertaining and watchable (even for once) But Bodyguard is out of league, no way watchable bcoz their is nothing to watch in it

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
singham, Ready were entertaining and watchable (even for once) But Bodyguard is out of league, no way watchable bcoz their is nothing to watch in it

I can only wish my friend could understand this, since he's forcing me to let him watch bodyguard with me, as my b'day treat! :(

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hoohahaha b'day treat!!! What an irony...

But, I liked Singham only not ready...those glimpses of jokes and dialogs I heard in promos... I do not like them.

Singham is clean. Stays true to what it intends to show....hero vs. villain. Straight out from a 80's revenge flick.

Only dull moments in Singham are the romantic angles...The movie ends as soon as justice is served. :D

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Offtopic. Guys is it possible to come up with a thread which has Recently watched or Just watched movies. I mean I find lots of movies in Must Watch Movies thread here which are just about passable. These movies need not be Not must watch.

Maybe we could rename the thread as a Movie Thread or Last movie you saw.

clmlbx

Technomancer
I can only wish my friend could understand this, since he's forcing me to let him watch bodyguard with me, as my b'day treat! :(

Then Better Go to single screen late night shows so at least U can pass ur time with some entertaining Comments:lol:

Top Bottom